• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone here in NUS during late 70s~early 80s pls verify...

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard his platoon mates also saw him in the bunk, thats why open third door for his soul to leave. Is this the story?

kekeke. singapore is quite small lah so everything and everyone is connected. The tekong case is real. my brother's friend who was a tekong instructor corporal actually read the incident entry in the duty log book after a few months it happened.
Apparently during that night they placed the recruit's body in the medical center so that it could be taken to mainland in the morning. That night the duty clerk/medic saw the poor soul lingering around his own body. :eek:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've heard this story from my teacher years ago and have always wondered if this really happened.

In an English Lit/Philosophy final exam, the essay topic was "What is courage?".

A student answered: "This is courage." and submitted the script. He actually passed with flying colours.

Is this story just a campus myth? Anyone here heard the same story?

Same lah!
Employee : Boss, I want a raise!
Boss : Sure, I will get you a higher chair.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same lah!
Employee : Boss, I want a raise!
Boss : Sure, I will get you a higher chair.

Putting him in a same cubicle one storey higher from the second is not bad too. Maybe the politics would be different, he would quit, it would become an office story, nobody would dare ask for a raise again and when the company makes more money the boss can give himself an even higher fiscal raise.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really doubt it happened in NUS. Even if the lecturer was an angmo, the script would have been verified by another lecturer if it is a year-end-final paper.

I will be surprised if the student did not get a 'Fail' or ungraded grade.

Maybe the other marker is also a radical local, or another "free-thinking" mat salleh? Mat sallehs are more understanding, creative and dynamic people generally, although a small number of Asians also possesses these positive growth traits.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've heard this story from my teacher years ago and have always wondered if this really happened.

In an English Lit/Philosophy final exam, the essay topic was "What is courage?".

A student answered: "This is courage." and submitted the script. He actually passed with flying colours.

Is this story just a campus myth? Anyone here heard the same story?

I believe it's a myth. I heard a variation of this tale.

It was a philosophy paper. The question was "why". The student answered "why not". He passed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its indeed a myth and it first began decades ago from student doing PPE (Philosophy, Political Science and Economics) in Oxbridge. It from the philo course and there a number of versions.

How do you know you exist?
What is courage?
Does the world exist?
Why?
Explain your being.

and there are many variations. The urban myth is so strong that Philo lecturers will warn student that they will fail if they don't write a proper essay.

The only place one word answers and one liners work is in the old SBF and the current Kopi Tiam.

I believe it's a myth. I heard a variation of this tale.

It was a philosophy paper. The question was "why". The student answered "why not". He passed.

jw5

Loyal
i think you must also consider the context of singapore during that era. It was the height of the Cold war. Hippees, bell bottoms and long hair were considered 'havoc'. Tan wah peow just got arrested. Undergrads who made it to Nus were still regarded as the nation's brightest. Any intelligentsia, any hint of articulate deviation from societial norms would have been watched back then. I'd think student life in Nus back then would have been as repressed as boarding school, or as bland as the canteen food. Or both.Now for a student to come up with such an exam answer would have been impressive.
I would be slightly impressed if the student came from a poor family.
I would not be impressed at all if he came from a rich family. In this case, it would not be courage, it would be a wisecrack from a smart-alecky rich spoilt brat.

Let me give a real example and perhaps the guys here can tell us what they think.

Many years ago, I knew this rich man's son who studied at a top junior college in SG. He claims that he deliberately dropped out of JC so that he would serve as a Lance Corporal during his national service. As most of us know, LCPs would serve 2 years, CPLs would serve 2 and a half years. He added that he would continue his studies as a private candidate after his 2 years service.
Any of you impressed by this chap?

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would be slightly impressed if the student came from a poor family.
I would not be impressed at all if he came from a rich family. In this case, it would not be courage, it would be a wisecrack from a smart-alecky rich spoilt brat.

Let me give a real example and perhaps the guys here can tell us what they think.

Many years ago, I knew this rich man's son who studied at a top junior college in SG. He claims that he deliberately dropped out of JC so that he would serve as a Lance Corporal during his national service. As most of us know, LCPs would serve 2 years, CPLs would serve 2 and a half years. He added that he would continue his studies as a private candidate after his 2 years service.
Any of you impressed by this chap?

No. But yes also because he is mischievous and cunning. Whatever the case is know that it is his life and he does whatever he wants and enjoys it in his own little way. He's pretty smart to have qualified for jc like some of us did too anyway, but out of curiosity I wonder if he actually has the discipline and the willpower to continue and complete his studies after the brief national service disruption as a private candidate even, for a private diploma I've also heard is much easier to achieve than the A levels, before the slightly more challenging private degree. The funny paradox is that people sometimes fail in doing the easier things like how the tortoise eventually outraced the hare if you know what I mean.

But it seems he knows what he's doing and he should be able to follow his act up, and even if he ends up having nothing in the end but the base Os and the baser PSLEs he can always go back to his Dad for anything and everything, so he's not really losing out on much either.

jw5

Loyal
No. But yes also because he is mischievous and cunning. Whatever the case is know that it is his life and he does whatever he wants and enjoys it in his own little way. He's pretty smart to have qualified for jc like some of us did too anyway, but out of curiosity I wonder if he actually has the discipline and the willpower to continue and complete his studies after the brief national service disruption as a private candidate even, for a private diploma I've also heard is much easier to achieve than the A levels, before the slightly more challenging private degree. The funny paradox is that people sometimes fail in doing the easier things like how the tortoise eventually outraced the hare if you know what I mean.

But it seems he knows what he's doing and he should be able to follow his act up, and even if he ends up having nothing in the end but the base Os and the baser PSLEs he can always go back to his Dad for anything and everything, so he's not really losing out on much either.
I don't know what happened to this guy and I don't really care.
And it's precisely because he always knew that he would have a "fall back", that I don't respect him.
Try doing what he did without the "fall back", then maybe he deserves some respect for having balls and street smarts.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why education is such an important thing. The lack of it gives rise to silly myths. The fact that people can believe that a lecturer is going to give marks for cocky answer is quite interesting.

I recall a case where an essay had quotes from Times magazine and the chap got a zero. He complained to Master of his college and was told off in no uncertain terms. When this was told to the lecture group, everyone laughed.

That's stupidity, not courage. Courage is a complex concept that cannot be surmised in one sentence.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its indeed a myth and it first began decades ago from student doing PPE (Philosophy, Political Science and Economics) in Oxbridge. It from the philo course and there a number of versions.

How do you know you exist?
What is courage?
Does the world exist?
Why?
Explain your being.

and there are many variations. The urban myth is so strong that Philo lecturers will warn student that they will fail if they don't write a proper essay.

The only place one word answers and one liners work is in the old SBF and the current Kopi Tiam.

In my primary school class we were told to make a sentence with words.

Make a sentence with the following words : eg diarrhoea,...

Answer : The teacher asks me to make a sentence with the word "diarrhoea".

The teacher marked it correct - of course. What can you do with a class full of kampong boys and girls who spoke mainly Hokkien and pasar Malay?

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walau, if I saw this thread many eons ago while still as a student, and when teacher give a test, I can just write "I know all the answers. Please give more challenging ones in future'......surely get full marks without even knowing anything about the questions.

Bright !

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
machiam the story about who's the bravest soldiers.

Three generals, one from the Army, another from the Marines, and a third from the Air Force, were having a debate with a Navy Admiral about whose soldiers were the bravest.

To prove his point, the Air Force general calls over an airman: "Airman! Climb that flagpole, and once you are at the top, sing 'Wild Blue Yonder', and then jump off!"

"YES SIR!" replies the airman. He takes off for the flagpole like a shot, scales up it, sings the anthem, salutes and jumps off, hitting the ground at attention.

The general dismisses him. "Now that's bravery!" exclaims the general.

"Ah, that's nothing," says the Admiral, "Seaman!" A seaman appears, "YES, SIR!!" "Take this weapon," as he offers him an M14, "Scale that flagpole, balance yourself on top, stand at attention, present arms, and sing 'Anchors Aweigh.' Salute each of us, and jump off.

"YES SIR!" replies the seaman. He sprints for the flagpole with the weapon high over his head, and completes the task perfectly.

"Now that's courage!" says the admiral.

"Courage, nothin'" snorts the Army general. "Get over here, private!"

"YES SIR!" replies the private.

"Put on full combat gear, load your rucksack with these rocks, scale that flagpole, come to attention, present arms, and sing the National Anthem, salute each of us, and then climb back down, head first."

"YES SIR!!" replies the private, and completes the task.

"Now that is a brave man! Beat that!!"

They all look to the Marine. "Private," he says.

"YES SIR!"

"Put on full combat gear. Put these two dogs in your pack. Using only one hand, climb that flagpole. At the top, sing 'The Halls of Montezuma', put your knife in your teeth, and dive off, headfirst."

The private snaps to attention, looks at the general and says, "FUCK YOU SIR!"

The general turns to the others and says, "Now THAT'S bravery!"
via : http://www.nearlygood.com/joke/thebravestsoldier.html

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent. The chap has done well. He was asked to construct a senetence and he did just that and he was witty about it. Full marks and a pat on the back.
In my primary school class we were told to make a sentence with words.

Make a sentence with the following words : eg diarrhoea,...

Answer : The teacher asks me to make a sentence with the word "diarrhoea".

The teacher marked it correct - of course. What can you do with a class full of kampong boys and girls who spoke mainly Hokkien and pasar Malay?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's stupidity, not courage. Courage is a complex concept that cannot be surmised in one sentence.

I don't agree. It is most difficult to explain concepts using short and simple language. In this case (if this episode is real), the student made full use of the situation and context to illustrate what courage is.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Make a sentence with the following words : eg diarrhoea,...

Answer : The teacher asks me to make a sentence with the word "diarrhoea". ...
wat if ze teacher asks ... make a sentence wif each of ze following words: smile, frown, confused ...

laidis? ...

ze teacher asks me 2 make a sentence wif ze word "smile" ...
ze teacher asks me 2 make a sentence wif ze word "frown" ...
ze teacher asks me 2 make a sentence wif ze word "confused" ...