• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another new day another big pharma beat the competition to get FDA approval for new vaccine against pneumonia

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://medcitynews.com/2021/06/pfi...etting-edge-in-pneumococcus-vax-race-for-now/

Pfizer’s Prevnar 20 wins FDA nod, getting edge in pneumococcus vax race—for now​

The FDA has approved Prevnar 20, a Pfizer vaccine that protects against 20 pneumococcal strains—seven more than the company’s blockbuster Prevnar 13. But others are on the big pharma company’s heels with vaccine candidates that aim to match or even beat the Pfizer pneumococcal vaccines.​

By FRANK VINLUAN

Post a comment / Jun 9, 2021 at 10:28 AM

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Pfizer vaccine that addresses 20 types of pneumococcal bacteria has won FDA approval, giving the company a successor to a blockbuster product and the edge in a race to protect against more of these strains that can lead to serious infections, such as pneumonia and meningitis.

Pneumococcal infections are caused by the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae. There are more than 90 strains. As its name conveys, Prevnar 20 vaccine protects against 20 of these strains, improving on Prevnar 13, a Pfizer product that accounted for more than $5.8 billionin global sales last year. Approval of Prevnar 20 covers adults 18 and older.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prevnar 20 is what’s called a conjugate vaccine. The antigens for the vaccine are polysaccharides, chains of sugar molecules from the bacteria’s outer coat. The polysaccharides are conjugated, or bonded, to a carrier protein. By carrying more of these polysaccharides, a vaccine can protect against more strains.

According to Pfizer, the seven additional strains covered in Prevnar 20 account for about 40% of all pneumococcal disease cases and deaths in the U.S. All 20 of the strains are estimated to be responsible for more than half of all U.S. cases of invasive pneumococcal disease, which include bacteremia and meningitis, as well as community-acquired pneumonia.

With Prevnar 20’s approval, Pfizer can claim it offers a vaccine that protects against more of the disease-causing pneumococcal strains than any other vaccine currently available. However, competition is on the way. Though Merck’s V114 protects against five fewer pneumococcal strains than Prevnar 20, the pharmaceutical giant is further along in clinical testing of its candidate in children. Last month, Merck reported positive preliminary results of a Phase 3 pediatric test of its vaccine. An FDA decision on V114 in adults is expected in mid-July.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other companies are in earlier stages with their pneumococcal vaccines. The lead candidate of Vaxcyte is VAX-24, a pneumococcal vaccine candidate designed to protect against 24 strains. The Foster City, California-based biotech is in preclinical development with VAX-24. The lead candidate of Affinivax also addresses 24 pneumococcal strains. The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based startup has advanced that candidate, ASP3772, through Phase 2 testing under a collaboration with pharmaceutical company Astellas. That vaccine candidate is also in Phase 1 testing in toddlers.

Prevnar 20 was submitted to the European Medicines Agency in February. That review is ongoing. Following the FDA approval of Prevnar 20, Pfizer said that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices is expected to meet in October to discuss and update its recommendations on the safe and appropriate use of pneumococcal vaccines in adults.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
All these vaccines do is keep you alive so that you can die of cancer instead.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
U do know that everyone have cancer cells in their bodies right? Try reading science books instead of visiting conspiracy theories websites.

My point exactly. Throughout out lives the there are cells that do not divide according to plan and go rouge. These abnormal cells are identified and dealt with by the body's internal defenses. However there will be a point in time when a dysplasic cell is missed and this is how the seed of cancer is planted.

The older we are the more likely it is that this will happen.

What exactly have I said that sounds like a conspiracy theory?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop swallowing cum for a month or two and your lungs should clear up just fine.
Sia suay loser evil filthy coward liar sons of whores like you that twist all my illness to sex related should burn to death and burn in hell forever. So scared to die dare not swear if i am not what you said you be burnt to death. Pui!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
U do know that everyone have cancer cells in their bodies right? Try reading science books instead of visiting conspiracy theories websites.
I hope you have lung nodules in your lungs - just like me - and they grow bigger to become cancer while mine remain as they are. Pui!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope you have lung nodules in your lungs - just like me - and they grow bigger to become cancer while mine remain as they are. Pui!
As usual I am 0.01% Singaporean non smoker non everything to have lung scarring and lung nodules.

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point exactly. Throughout out lives the there are cells that do not divide according to plan and go rouge. These abnormal cells are identified and dealt with by the body's internal defenses. However there will be a point in time when a dysplasic cell is missed and this is how the seed of cancer is planted.

The older we are the more likely it is that this will happen.

What exactly have I said that sounds like a conspiracy theory?

You run a conspiracy theory Shit Times forum

talking about neoplasia is a natural context does not absolve you from your stupidity