• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Analysis of LHL's NDR speech on HDB flat upgrades.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Its seems to me now the PAP has gone a different route in the dealing with the issue of aging HDB flats. I had hypothesize previously that what the HDB will do is to activate the clause in their 99 year lease and get people out of their aging flats into new ones at a subsidized price and with a new 99 year lease. Hence, enslaving them for another 99 years. This is the pattern chosen for prior flat take backs as in the case of the original Queenstown estate. New estates planned at Tengah and the old Bidadari sites would be where occupants of older flats be moved while their old blocks are demolished to make way for higher buildings with increased density.

After going over LHL's speech (see below), I see now that a new strategy is going in. What the PAP will now do is to "upgrade" flats twice, targeted at their 30 and 60 years lifespan. This is what I can see from his speech.

1) The items mentioned by LHL "An essential upgrade, HIP fixes maintenance problems, including spalling concrete, ceiling leaks and damaged pipes", are not upgrades at all. Rather, they are maintenance and repair issues and in some case, essential maintenance. I can add at least 2 high ticket items not on his list, and this would be lifts and the roof. An upgrade would be say, adding a second lift to the building, or installing water sprinklers in the whole building, etc. These items are maintenance and repair items essential to the continued occupancy of the building, and hence essential to the HDB to honour their 99 year lease. Without these maintenance, the block would simply be condemned. From what I can see of this list, there are NO upgrades, only maintenance and repairs. Nice lie, LHL.

2) Its mentioned by LHL, that flat dwellers will pay as little as 5% of the costs for these fake upgrades. Remember when they said they will give you back your CPF at 55? I don't trust that number and I don't believe it. The repairs are all handled by HDB contractors, and unless they make the winning bid completely transparent, we would not know how much 5% really is. Repairs costing $1 million to a block might be inflated to $5 million by the HDB, and hence 5% of $5 million would be $250,000 borned by the flat dweller or 25% of the HDB's cost. LHL mentioned too that some people will pay as little as a few hundred dollars. Right. I will believe that when I see that.

3) On the topic of flat dwellers paying 5%. What's up with that? A tenant should not be paying anything at all for maintenance and repairs, especially when they do not own the unit. The landlord has the responsibility to upkeep and maintain his unit. 100% of the cost should be borned by the HDB.

4) I still maintain that many blocks will not last 99 years, regardless of how much repairs and maintenance you do to them. Plastering over cracks in the concrete with cement and what not does not fix any underlying structural issues. Past the 60 year mark, many HDB blocks should be torned down rather then repaired. Taking one example, that of spalling concrete. There are many underlying reasons for this. The concrete mixture might have been faulty when the block was constructed. And concrete being porous, within this high humidity tropical environment, likely, the concrete absorbed the moisture and ended up rusting the rebar. This rebar expanded, and hence the concrete spalled. Fixing this is not easy at all, and its very expensive. You have to call in a forensic engineer to figure out the root cost. If a confluence of issues appear together at say the 60 year mark, eg. lift has to be replaced, roof has to be replaced, the whole building has to be repiped, concrete spalling has to be fixed, etc. I don't see how its feasible to do all this. Demolition is the only solution. By contrast, the gold standard for solid construction, the Empire State Building, is 88 years. Looking at it, do you think a HDB block build with the cheapest materials, cheap labour, and a cookie cutter architectural plan will last even that long?

5) The fact that the PAP are so keen on keeping this old buildings up, means to me that the new estates planned and still on the drawing boards, are aimed at future new FT PRs. They will march towards the goal of a 10 million population, with a combination of massive refurbishing of old blocks and construction of new blocks. This 6.9 million population White Paper and the future 10 million population, based on what LHL has said, is very much on. Good luck to all of us.

6) Finally, we look at another LHL lie. The value of the flat will be retained as their leases run down. This is not possible. A 15 year old flat purchased today for $600,000 cannot retain its value at age 60 simply because no bank will finance the purchase of it. With only 39 years remaining on the list, no bank financing available, and even if it was "upgraded", a buyer would have to pay cash for it. Not many will have the ability to pay $600K in today's money, which could be $1 million in 45 year's time given inflation. This entire "upgrade" lie is being pawned off on the public as Govt Largesse when in effect, its the HDB's duty as owner to maintain and repair the blocks.

SINGAPORE - All Housing Board flats can expect to be upgraded twice during their 99-year lifespan under the newly-expanded Home Improvement Programme (HIP), as part of the Government's public housing redevelopment initiative.

In a nutshell, all flats will be upgraded when they reach about 30 years of age, and again when they are about 60 to 70 years old.

The HIP, which was introduced in 2007, will be expanded to another 230,000 flats built between 1987 and 1997 when the flats are about 30 years old, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in his National Day Rally speech in English on Sunday (Aug 19).
This is on top of about 320,000 flats built up to 1986 that have not undergone the Main Upgrading Programme (MUP), but that are already eligible for upgrading under HIP. MUP was launched in the 1990s and completed in 2011.

"We launched the HIP 10 years ago. The final batch of HIP flats will be announced by next year. So within a few years, all flats eligible for HIP will have been balloted, passed, executed and upgraded. That means altogether 450,000 flats upgraded under MUP plus HIP," PM Lee said.

The first round of upgrading which includes flats built up to 1997 will start soon, PM Lee said, adding: "Pasir Ris will get HIP, and so will Yishun, Tampines, Jurong and several other estates."

Further, once the flats reach 60 to 70 years of age, they will be eligible for upgrading a second time. This second round is expected to start in about 10 years' time.

The Government pays up to 95 per cent of the upgrading cost, so residents pay as little as a few hundred dollars for the upgrading.

"The first HIP will cost the Government more than $4 billion. HIP II will probably cost even more, because the flats will be twice as old by then. But it is well justified and we will do it as long as MOF (Finance Ministry) has the money," PM Lee said.

An essential upgrade, HIP fixes maintenance problems, including spalling concrete, ceiling leaks and damaged pipes.

"We upgrade the electrical supply too... because more families have air-conditioners, washing machines, computers and now, personal mobility devices (PMDs) needing to be charged," PM Lee said.

"Not surprising that after upgrading, the flat value usually goes up," PM Lee said.

He added that after the first round of upgrading, the flats should be good for another 30 to 40 years. The second round will be done at about the 60 to 70-year mark.

"We are determined not to let our public housing degenerate into ragged squalid slums, which has happened in many other cities," PM Lee said.

HIP II will "keep the flats safe and liveable, and also help them retain their value as their leases run down. It should see the flats through to the end of their leases," he said.

Last edited:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually by doing this. Pinky hopes too achieve 2 things.

1. Diffuse the 99 year lease time bomb n legitimise the no SERs issue.

2. Play the upgrading card for the next erection like b4. Don't vote for Pap. Upgrading is last etc etc.

Basically the same old song n dance

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
upgrading not based on age of housing. 1st gen housing is in jurong, toa payoh. tiong bahru queenstown chinatown all left behind to rot.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
upgrading not based on age of housing. 1st gen housing is in jurong, toa payoh. tiong bahru queenstown chinatown all left behind to rot.
Those areas could be earmarked for SERs. SERs will only work for those good locations. Fuck up location can be for upgrading etc.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody shouted, "MERDEKA"!??? & chant this " AFFORDABLE"?? more ways to ensnare yOUR CPF money...by the time you retire, yOUR CPF will be worth $xxx,xxx. Where is my money?....they tell you, your flat is worth $X,XXX,XXX now....but you have to die first to liquidated that money.... ha ha ha ha

That is why they are hoping that the 500,000 do..die first...MERDEKA!

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
His father say it is our asset so we can sink our roots here. His old fart comes out with scheme like asset enhancement, upgrading etc. Now this son tells us out assets is actually only leasehold so younger generations can also own houses.
40% sinkies already knows about this housing con job long time already.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whatever the PAP does is primarily with an eye to being re-elected! The problem facing Singaporeans is secondary in nature.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way to a sinkee's heart and vote is to ply them with goodies and satisfy their greed. This is a time tested formulae played out with great success once every four years. Never mind freedom, never mind being used, cheated and stepped on by the gahment. Give them the goodies and they will eat from your hand.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whatever the PAP does is primarily with an eye to being re-elected! The problem facing Singaporeans is secondary in nature.

That's how democracies work.

Not happy, feel free to move to chinkland or north korea where their governments don't have to worry about being re-elected.

LaoTze

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPF.jpeg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
don't forget majority of sinkies are gongcheebyes. will fall for anything that has great sound bytes. only serious anal-ysis 69% of sinkies will do is whether kopi, kaya toast or kway teow goes up in price 6.9 to 69 cents. when it cums to long term leases, healthcare and or forward financial planning that have over 69 years of outcomes in the future, sinkies bo chap (too much work and brain power needed) and would rather let gov handlers do the nanny legwork. so far no sound no sight about hacking of sinkies' personal data in singhealth; everything has gone silent as sinkies bo chap and bo heu. sinkies are numb and dumb to these kinds of big picture generational philosophical impacts. rat race, rush to queue and makan go on in sg as life is quickly back to normal as all 6.9 k's are being sextisfied. sinkies say shiok.
Makansutra-Gluttons-Bay.jpg

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Early in the year, Bad Cop Lawrence Wong: "Your pigeon hole will be worthless and returned to HDB come 99 years!!"
Ah Gong, Ah ma, Auntie, Uncle chua-sai chua-liou...
NDP Rally: Good Cop Pinkie like a knight in shining armour rode in with a piece of "Don't worry, we will upgrade HDB twice over it's lifetime... we are determined not to let HDB be slums and will retain its value thru VERS!!!" But no details and concrete plans yet, but don't worry, plenty of time as will occur only in the next 20 years. Meanwhile, only one thing is certain, to retain value in your HDB flats, must vote PAP, then we can fulfill promises...VERS!!!

Very orchestrated if you ask me.. drum up the anxiety, ride in with a vague promise that cannot be verified but one thing is certain, must vote the incumbent.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
The next step will be announcement of a change in the financing rules for flats where the lease is less than 30 years.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's how democracies work.

Not happy, feel free to move to chinkland or north korea where their governments don't have to worry about being re-elected.

I am free not to vote for PAP...till I die! , & hope that in my lifetime, I hope to see the PAP as an oppositions. The upgrade & the MERDEKA ...are another 'marketing' for the coming election...whatever they may give throw or coerce, I will vote my best to see the PAP as an oppositions...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am free not to vote for PAP...till I die! , & hope that in my lifetime, I hope to see the PAP as an oppositions. The upgrade & the MERDEKA ...are another 'marketing' for the coming election...whatever they may give throw or coerce, I will vote my best to see the PAP as an oppositions...

Thanks to PAP, you are free to vote as you wish without fear of repercussion. Otherwise, you wouldn't be bragging about it.

Fortunately, the majority of us vote rationally. So PAP will remain in power long after your lifetime.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
2nd upgrading card won't work as it won't enhance the flat value anymore at the end of the lease is nearing. Lawrence Wong himself burst their own bubbles.

It will no longer be seen as a carrot to the electorates.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks to PAP, you are free to vote as you wish without fear of repercussion. Otherwise, you wouldn't be bragging about it.

Fortunately, the majority of us vote rationally. So PAP will remain in power long after your lifetime.

The PAP would not last another life time....every sins has to be accounted for, we should thank providence for keeping them in power, not PAP giving freedom to vote or not. Providence gave me the wisdom to select wisely.....