• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Allowed to Protest in Hong Lim Park!

mini_me

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given the "right" to protest at a designated area. And having to get a permit for that.

That in itself is already not a freedom. This is just more hogwash from the govt la.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh Meng Seng said:
Just heard, now PM Lee says you can protest all you want in Hong Lim Park!

Just need to apply permission from National Parks instead of Police and you will be allowed to protest there!

If people can protest all they want, why do they need to apply for permission? :mad:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
There is a balance to be struck somewhere. If everybody can protest anywhere they like, then there will be an issue of social order. If protesters did not inform the police by means of applying for a license, then who is going to make sure that the protest will not turn into violence?

Civil liberty must come hand in hand with social order. If not, that will end up in anarchy.

Goh Meng Seng

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah man can get free prata and teh tarik while he's still around

Prataman is not in lah!...he is now in Beijing oggling at the China Mei's Mei's & all the mei's mei's of world representated, at yours & mine expense( if you are SINgaporean).

Yeah!..free prata & teh tarik...the prata will cooked at 10cm sq, tea you get from an alumimium tin, and free curry rice...at Changi Chalet or you spend some community development time at Buangkok Medical Park...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a balance to be struck somewhere. If everybody can protest anywhere they like, then there will be an issue of social order. If protesters did not inform the police by means of applying for a license, then who is going to make sure that the protest will not turn into violence?

Civil liberty must come hand in hand with social order. If not, that will end up in anarchy.

Goh Meng Seng

The 'piper' is now singing a different tune?. If one is opressed, hungry & hopeless, will they ever think of social order & civil liberties?. They will be thinking of freeing themselves of the opressors.

Singapore haven't reached that state yet!, that is well you can talk of civil liberty, social order etc...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Calibrated control mah. This one was so obvious, especially after the IMF/World Bank conference with the sterile designated area at Suntec for protests.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think a 'license'/permit is required at Hong Lim, just register your name at the nearby police post. LHL seems to suugest that now even this is not necessary just register with NParks.

ha!.... as if NPARKs will really start granting licenses for people to hold demonstrations at hong lim... .. really????? Did the police grant Chee SJ a license to speak at speaker's corner??? Anyone here expect NPARKS to do the same???
I wont be holding my breath..........

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest you try to come up with coherent reasonable logical substantive and effective arguments to persuade the public that the PAPs 'chaos' bogeyman is no longer valid, legitimate and tenable in this day and age. I personally think the key for you and your ilk is to try and convince the centre ground middle classes on this specific issue. Thus far they appear to still swing towards the conservative side as I don't think they are convinced that the 'benefits' outweigh the possible risks and worse still nuisance. Singgies are by nature complain kings and queens:biggrin:

The "concession" for protest at hong lim park is pathetic.

It is not the job of the govt to decide where and when Singaporeans should be granted civil liberties and fundamental freedoms. Those are enshrined in our constitution, applying to all citizens at all times and at all places.

It is the job of govt to promote lawfulness by active cooperation with peaceful protesters, not to use the machinery of the state to silence dissent under the guise of promoting lawfulness.

E-Jay

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

I can only say this. If your opponents are hell bent on making you look bad, even having a strong police presence at any secure location, planted agitators can still create chaos. Take a look back at history here and across the straits.