• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All surveys will "take only 10 minutes"! LOL

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And Mr. Kumar believed the surveyor!
Looks like Mr. Kumar is a good victim to be sent scam messages: Nigerian inheritance, job openings, investment opportunities, money transfers, online shopping bargains etc.

Forum: Do surveys have to comply with guidelines?​

Oct 15, 2021

Last Saturday night, I received a call on my mobile phone from someone conducting a survey for a research company.
I have given my responses for many such surveys in the past, most of them looking for on-the-ground opinion on the current situation, recently announced policies and so on.
This survey also sounded similar. The caller told me that the survey would take about 10 minutes.
Initially the questions were about how I felt about the pandemic and if I was happy with actions by the Government, and if I have used the services of various government departments.
But then the questions became quite specific about personal matters and household income. Though I said I would like to skip those, paraphrased questions were asked around the same topics.
The survey continued with questions on the type of house I am living in, how many rooms, how many phones we hold, how many TV sets we have… questions I think are not necessary for demographic analysis.

By then the survey had already taken up 30 minutes. So I said I did not want to be part of the survey any more.
Are these kinds of surveys covered by the overall Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) framework?
At the beginning of the survey I was told things would be kept confidential.
But after this experience, I think the authorities should set some ground rules for such surveys conducted by private agencies.
They should cover things like telling respondents where their contact numbers were obtained from, what kind of questions to expect, and how long realistically the survey would take.
They should clearly mention if there will be any questions on personal and financial matters too.
The respondents should also be told they have the option to stop the survey if they do not want to continue, or whether the conversation is being recorded.
The person conducting the survey should also give his name, company name, contact number and some survey identifier, just in case respondents have any issues later.
Even if I would like to have my voice heard, I will have to think twice after this experience.

Ramamurthy Mahesh Kumar

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Many scams out there. Any unsolicited calls even if it is deals for mobile service or whatever best to say no.

If it sounds good can call them back but on the phone number listed for the service/company not the number the caller gives.

It sucks for the telemarketer cos they cant close the sale and add you to the numbers for their commissions but sorry cos many scams. Cant trust if they are really calling from the real company.

Also many cases the telemarketer just states you accepted upgrade and clicks the changes on your account. When you did not agree.

Safest is just ignore all calls unless you recognize the caller. Or are expecting a call.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some time before the last election, I did a Gallup survey with this Sinkie auntie. I think it was a 'Strongly disagree' to 'Strongly agree' scale, seven-point answering system.

Very interesting questions in them e.g. Rate the performance of various world leaders, including Lee Hsien Loong. Do you have trust in the Sinkie govt, Sinkie institutions, law enforcement, healthcare system, economy etc. :biggrin:

I was given a NTUC Fairprice voucher for my participation. I did the survey not for the voucher, but because I took pity on the auntie. She seemed to have travelled a long distance, knocking on doors. She looked tired. Well, at least it's a less shitty job than cleaning tables at hawker centres or collecting cardboard boxes. :cool: