• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All opposition leaders turn up to support SDP event except WP

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's see who turn up to speak at SDP's event last night:

1. Steve Chia & Sebastian Teo from NSP.
2. Sin Kek Tong from SPP.
3. Ng Teck Siong from Reform Party.
4. Tan Kin Lian (ex-PAP)

WP Low Thia Kiang and Sylvia Lim were not present. Don't tell me SDP never invite them ?

How can there be opposition unity and solidarity when WP is always the odd party out ?

Even if they dislike SDP, should at least send a junior leader there as a mark of respect for JBJ.

Possible reasons for WP's MIA:

1. Afraid of offending PAP by turning up for SDP's event.

2. Just don't want to give SDP's face.

3. Trivialize the event.

Looks like an united opposition front is an impossible dream as long the PAP's approved opposition MPs remain the SG of WP.

What do WP members think ??? I am sure there are some righteous WP members who disagree with Low Thia Kiang. Please challenge him in the next CEC election and boot him out !

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
That was a disappointment. Earlier i thought that there was a semblance of unity amongst all opposition. But the stance by WP indicate otherwise.

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP probably rejected their request to attend the event. Don't forget that WP is a subsidiary of the PAP.

That was a disappointment. Earlier i thought that there was a semblance of unity amongst all opposition. But the stance by WP indicate otherwise.

Erudio

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin: Pls forgive WP, bcus according to PAP, WP got ability to make passersby stop 'em n debate wif 'em in politics, n tis may attract a crowd, and therefore will result in problems the police want to avoid ....

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe there are 2 stories here. One is WP would stay far away from this and other SDP's activity. The other is the SDP invited all party leaders except WP's leaders.

There appears to be problems between the WP and the SDP because they would invite, be invited and attend all other parties' events except each other's.

Personally, I believe "opposition unity" is merely a PAP-created concept.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I believe "opposition unity" is an anti-PAP concept. Anti-PAP enough to vote for anything that's not PAP.

The opposition in Singapore is getting united to bring about change. But those charlatans and fakes who do not want to end PAP oppression have been exposed by their absence at the new year eve's countdown at Hong Lim park.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I believe "opposition unity" is an anti-PAP concept. Anti-PAP enough to vote for anything that's not PAP.

I have a reason for expressing so.

"Opposition unity" hardly occurs anywhere in the world, especially in Parliaments that are more pluralistic. Political parties would merge or form coalitions, or otherwise, they are on their own. Even after several mergers or get-togethers, there may still be several parties or coalitions.

The first person I remember who mentioned "opposition unity" was LKY. He was referring to the collective opposition who should prove their seriousness by being united, knowing that it would impossible. That would "fool" Singaporeans who would then think the opposition is not serious, because most Singaporeans have no idea that even in the USA, more than 300 parties exist.

Since 1963, there hasn't been one single opposition party to take on the PAP. The answer is simple. As long as political parties are not restricted from being formed, there will always be more than one other the PAP.

Of course, there are several definitions of "opposition unity". The main one I heard even from opposition supporters is to have a single party or coalition to take on the PAP.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

4. Tan Kin Lian (ex-PAP)

WP Low Thia Kiang and Sylvia Lim were not present. Don't tell me SDP never invite them ?

How can there be opposition unity and solidarity when WP is always the odd party out ?

Even if they dislike SDP, should at least send a junior leader there as a mark of respect for JBJ.

3. Trivialize the event.

Looks like an united opposition front is an impossible dream as long the PAP's approved opposition MPs remain the SG of WP.

What do WP members think ??? I am sure there are some righteous WP members who disagree with Low Thia Kiang. Please challenge him in the next CEC election and boot him out !

if it was that "grand", shit times would ve reported it or mediacorpse would have given them some desperate attention chee loved to have.

WP were having their own celebration. DON'T OVER-RATE THE INFLUENCE OF SDP. they are losers!:oIo:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a reason for expressing so.

"Opposition unity" hardly occurs anywhere in the world, especially in Parliaments that are more pluralistic. Political parties would merge or form coalitions, or otherwise, they are on their own. Even after several mergers or get-togethers, there may still be several parties or coalitions.

The first person I remember who mentioned "opposition unity" was LKY. He was referring to the collective opposition who should prove their seriousness by being united, knowing that it would impossible. That would "fool" Singaporeans who would then think the opposition is not serious, because most Singaporeans have no idea that even in the USA, more than 300 parties exist.

Since 1963, there hasn't been one single opposition party to take on the PAP. The answer is simple. As long as political parties are not restricted from being formed, there will always be more than one other the PAP.

Of course, there are several definitions of "opposition unity". The main one I heard even from opposition supporters is to have a single party or coalition to take on the PAP.

suppose all the opps unite. who would they elect to be the leader? csj? to lead them into the longkangs and create more petty chaos to the nation?:confused:

jw5

Loyal
I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.
If the wp think that they are big and strong enough to stand on their own, that's their right and their choice.
As long as they don't create a 3 corner fight in the GE.

jw5

Loyal
There doesn't need to be unity in the opposition, except at the GE.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you were from the original team that was supposed to contest Sembawang GRC and because of the antics of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan and his reCHEEme had to contest Ang Mo Kio instead, then see the reCHEEme get only 20% when you may have got 40%, would you be happy if your leaders attended the event or sent someone to do so?

Sin Kek Tong is a traitor who should not have gone. He has lost all credibility when he forgot what the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan did to his good friend Chiam See Tong. Sin was the one who pulled Chiam's faction out of the SDP.

Of course, Steve Chia, Ng Teck Siong and Tan Kin Lian have no baggage and have every right to be there.

4. Tan Kin Lian (ex-PAP)

3. Trivialize the event.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
opposition unity?
WP is free to head in whatever political directions that they want.

and yes, not happy? punish WP at GE2011 with your votes.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do not cry over your spilt milk Buddhist Bob.:rolleyes::p

Btw yr lame claim that Dr Chee and SDP were trying to use JBJ's reputation was left in tatters when Kenneth turned up not only to speak but also penned a thank you to note to them:wink::biggrin:

if it was that "grand", shit times would ve reported it or mediacorpse would have given them some desperate attention chee loved to have.

WP were having their own celebration. DON'T OVER-RATE THE INFLUENCE OF SDP. they are losers!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition in 2009 – time to get united
Thursday, 1 January 2009, 5:00 pm | 970 views
Andrew Loh / Opinion

First, let me say that this article is not any in-depth analysis. It is just my personal views on what may happen – and what I hope will happen – in 2009 as far as the political parties are concerned.

As with many Singaporeans, the one most important thing I hope to see is the opposition parties coming together. This has always been difficult to do because of the differences in philosophy, personalities and the inner-workings of each party. However, with Singapore going into a rather serious recession, the time for unity among the political opposition has come.

This is a good time to be united and present Singaporeans with a concerted front to exploit any failings of the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP). And as have been demonstrated in 2008, there were many. Singapore faces not just a threat from the external economic downturn but also the PAP’s hubris and arrogance – also demonstrated in 2008.

But will the opposition parties be able to come together?

I have always been skeptical – even cynical – that the parties could or would come together. The only sign I have seen in recent times was the leaders of the various opposition parties on stage at the inauguration dinner of the Reform Party. Undoubtedly, it was the late Mr JB Jeyaretnam who alone could have managed that. Since that dinner in July last year (2008), there have not been any further development or demonstration of opposition unity.

However, I was pleasantly surprised (and my hopes are thus raised a little) when several well-known personalities from the opposition camp or who are sympathetic to the opposition cause participated at the Singapore Democratic Party’s countdown event at Hong Lim Park on Wednesday. Sebastian Teo and Steve Chia, both from the National Solidarity Party, made speeches. Both criticized the ruling party and hoped for opposition unity. Then there were Tan Kin Lian and Kenneth Jeyaretnam. They spoke on the need for a better Singapore with the involvement of ordinary Singaporeans.

Earlier last year, the SDP held a forum on Election Reform and invited leaders from all the opposition parties. In the end, only Mr Jeyaretnam participated as a panelist. Thus, to see four well-known personalities take to the stage at Hong Lim in another SDP event was heartening.

The call for unity was echoed by the other speakers as well – Ng E Jay, Ho Choon Hiong and Jufrie Mahmood.

Even as this raises hope that the opposition will come together and work closely, I am mindful that the differences among the parties – especially between the Workers’ Party and the SDP – will not be easily overcome. But there is space and opportunities to do so nonetheless.

I would suggest that unofficial contact and communication channels be opened to facilitate this. An instance of this was at the screening of some political films last year at the Post Museum where WP members attended, along with SDP members. The evening was cordial, although one could sense an uneasiness initially.

I hope that more of such meetings and gatherings can be organized.

As for the PAP, I do not think anything much will change. It is in a comfortable position, although the economic landscape presents some challenges to it as a government. Further, in a recession period, the focus of the PAP will not be on opening political space. In fact, it could be the opposite. The PAP would want to keep a tighter rein on things during this time.

At the end of the day, it is not so much what the PAP does, at least for now, that will determine whether the opposition parties make any headway as far as Singaporeans seeing them as important and relevant is concerned.

What needs to happen is for each opposition party to cast aside their suspicions of each other and see the bigger picture. And the bigger picture is this: Singaporeans are facing one of the worst recessions in decades. Couple this with the competition for jobs with foreigners and record inflation, Singaporeans need someone besides the PAP to lead – and to speak for them and do so effectively.

The SDP has tried to do so, to be fair to them. In 2008, the SDP has been the most active among all the opposition parties.

The Workers’ Party, although being the biggest opposition party (in terms of members) and having received the biggest support during the General Elections in 2006, has been an utter disappointment. It really needs to get its engines firing again.

So, for 2009, my wish and hope is that more people like Tan Kin Lian, Kenneth Jeyaretnam and his brother Philip, will step forward and give Singaporeans a genuine alternative. I also hope and wish that the opposition, as a whole, will be able to start putting in place channels which will allow them to work together.

We should also not forget that ordinary Singaporeans have a part to play as well. We should continue to speak up on issues which we are concerned and passionate about. Better still, lend our skills to the various political parties – including the PAP.

For, at the end of the day, power rests with the ordinary people.

And power is also given away by the ordinary people.

In 2009, lets hope that power will not continue to seep away from us Singaporeans - either througha dis-united opposition or an apathetic society.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
First of all, opposition unity will give a lot of credence to the opposition cause. As to what constitutes unity. Well, that SDP event is a good example of unity.

Second, even if it is a LKY concept, it does not mean that it is without substance. LKY always have substance to his reasonings. To suppose that LKY should restrict the formation of political parties so that the opposition can be united is the epitome of self-delusion.

Third, if opposition unity is only during the GE - who will believe it?

Fourth, the possibility that the SDP did not invite WP. I discounted that possibility after Ramseth clarified to UncleYap that Andrew Loh had resigned from the WP and that he, Ramseth, was there only on a personal capacity. Why should he take pains to clarify these, unless it was WP's official stance not to support that event. This is a reasonable hypothesis until the parties themselves clarify.

Fifth, the supposition that the WP intends to run on its own steam, believing that the political world belongs to itself and the PAP. That is reasonably true for now.

The post above by Andrew Loh is a good one, in my opinion.