• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about DIY

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have this Villeroy & Boch WC which was leaking previously.

So, I suspect it was a outlet valve washer problem & I went to look for a replacement. The trouble was that the local showroom did not have one in stock so I got a compatible one (Fix-A-Loo brand) from Bunnings.

This is a mistake!

The washer work well for a few months and suddenly, my stupid $1000 WC gave problem again, water leaking into the pan. It took me 2 months to find out what was wrong.

The cheap compatible washer had swell and was unable to close the valve!

Back to the supplier who has stock of the original washers now. Cost me $12 and it is made of some silicone membrane, not rubber. (I almost paid $78 to get the entire cistern outlet replacement to solve the problem)

Lesson learnt.
1. When buying upmarket stuff, make sure there are plumbers around who know the product. Everyone seems to know Coroma but not V&B.

2. Use back the original spare parts, esp with this German-designed cistern mechanism. They are more expensive but they work!

http://www.estrading.com.au/www/607/files/66540101cb.jpg

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
i just replaced my dishwasher recently at my new place, have to ferry the new one in my old hatchback back home. The old pipe entrance in the cupboard arent big enough to allow the new DW's pipe to go thru and so i have to enlarge it with my electric saw. long story short, it worked. that is only after consulting some youtube's video on how to change dishwasher.

the next task is to get another skip bin to throw all the sawn off tree branches away, the current 3m3 is not enough to house all of them. afew other tasks outstanding;
- cut down the other two palm trees with my chain saw.
- stump grind all remaining stumps.
- retaining wall has to be fixed up. this will be done by the builder.
- get a auto pool cleaning device.
- cut grass.

the main challenges are the midges and sun. big hurdles...

someone else here have embarked on larger scale of DIY, but for the rest of us lesser mortals, fixing up some small trinkets around the house is challenging enough.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was told that many European WCs uses the same Gerberit cistern mechanism.
A $1600 Villeroy & Boch WC may use the same mechanism as a $250 RAK WC.
Why pay the premium until you really like the toilet bowl design and spend a lot of time in the bathroom. :-)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo Bro, hows life doing ? I am in Brisbane now (ahh, actually in Gold Coast enjoying the night breeze) and will be here until Friday. Just booked for a 12m3 skip bin tomorrow for $450, hopefully can fill up by Friday. You have better price pls let me know.

If you are free, lets catch for kopi. Cheers !

i just replaced my dishwasher recently at my new place, have to ferry the new one in my old hatchback back home. The old pipe entrance in the cupboard arent big enough to allow the new DW's pipe to go thru and so i have to enlarge it with my electric saw. long story short, it worked. that is only after consulting some youtube's video on how to change dishwasher.

the next task is to get another skip bin to throw all the sawn off tree branches away, the current 3m3 is not enough to house all of them. afew other tasks outstanding;
- cut down the other two palm trees with my chain saw.
- stump grind all remaining stumps.
- retaining wall has to be fixed up. this will be done by the builder.
- get a auto pool cleaning device.
- cut grass.

the main challenges are the midges and sun. big hurdles...

someone else here have embarked on larger scale of DIY, but for the rest of us lesser mortals, fixing up some small trinkets around the house is challenging enough.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo Bro, hows life doing ? I am in Brisbane now (ahh, actually in Gold Coast enjoying the night breeze) and will be here until Friday. Just booked for a 12m3 skip bin tomorrow for $450, hopefully can fill up by Friday. You have better price pls let me know.

If you are free, lets catch for kopi. Cheers !

life is ok but abit stressed...work.. work.. work..
12m3 at $450 is a good price. my 3m3 cost me $130 and i still have another lot to throw. friday is abit too tight. i can meet u for kopi over the weekend.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just booked for a 12m3 skip bin tomorrow for $450, hopefully can fill up by Friday. You have better price pls let me know.
!

Just checking whether your skipbin has wheelburrow access door or a side attachment for an incline board for wheelburrows.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just checking whether your skipbin has wheelburrow access door or a side attachment for an incline board for wheelburrows.

i spent the whole day cooped up and in squat position in one of the old house's underground storeroom throwing out the garbages the previous owner and tenants had been stashed there for decades; kitchen sink, furniture, tires, tiles, poles etc.. they must have been there for like 20 years+. my 4m3 bin was filled with all those junks in just 1 day. absolutely no fun.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i spent the whole day cooped up and in squat position in one of the old house's underground storeroom throwing out the garbages the previous owner and tenants had been stashed there for decades; kitchen sink, furniture, tires, tiles, poles etc.. they must have been there for like 20 years+. my 4m3 bin was filled with all those junks in just 1 day. absolutely no fun.

It is no fun unless you happen to find a long lost treasure such as paintings by the great artists. But I doubt anyone can find any valuable stuff in Aussie homes. Beware of asbestos.

How many more storerooms you have to go through?
Ever though of organising a garage sale?

once I visited a neighbour to help her pull out the Xmas tree in the garage ceiling storage place.

Hope the local council issue you free tip passes, in case you need to dump more stuff
:biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude, I wouldn't have a clue. I've booked for an excavator to unload the debris for me :smile: Tomorrow, will come a huge breaker to break the freaking 1m deep concrete !! I've used 3 x 12m3 (still going..) fill up pretty easily..

Perhaps try a smaller bin and request for the back to be openable for wheelbarrow. I've seen some around.. alternatively, try to use the timber planks..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You just can't DIY all by yourself.. only superman can do it (unless Axe168, hehe).. You should get help, try Gumtree to get a cheap and good student ;-)
Remember, if student injure himself.. you'll be in trouble :-)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps try a smaller bin and request for the back to be openable for wheelbarrow. I've seen some around.. alternatively, try to use the timber planks..

pic-5.jpg

The above are examples of the bins with wheelburrow access door.

Alternatively,
When I order my skip bin, I also ask if it comes with a wheelburrow ramp.
This ramp is a separate item (free of charge) and one end attaches to the side of the bin, making it very secure with a load.
Timber planks may not be as stable.

In WA, Affordable Bins use metal ramps as well as doors. http://www.affordablebins.com.au/products.asp
See the leftmost bin in the picture above, there is a horizontal slot to fit the ramp to it. The ramp is quite long, so it is not as inclined. less strength needed.

Last edited: