• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Airbus A380 fleet should be grounded, say engineers

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant argue with the report. Looks like there was some crew error, but we are talking airline safety here, so why the need for the sinkie bit?

No need to bring this discussion to some other forummer's level is there?

Reason is and ought only to be the slave of passions. Nothing stirs passion in me more than bashing bloody sinkies. :biggrin:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
The essence of this forum is one of :

1) Telling the world how fucked up the Singapore govt is.

2) Telling the rest of the universe how even more fucked up the electorate is.

You have to get used to it or if you can't beat them, join them.

Hear, hear! I wouldn't be here if there's no Sinkie bashing to be had. :biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The most advanced nation in aeronautical in this region is, in fact, Indonesia which manufactures its own planes, used mainly for domestic flights, and hardly export any. By the same token, Singapore only does modification mainly in avionics and weaponry.

As I do recall back in the mid 1970's and 1980's, IPTN started an ambitious plan to set up an aircraft manufacturing base in Bandung. With the blessings from Suharto, Dr. Habibie was tasked to set it up with funds from Pertamina, the Indonesian State-owned Oil and Gas company. IPTN was then established to begin the long road to manufacture low and medium ranged aircraft. Initially with agreement with MBB (Masserschmitt Bolkow Blohm) a German aircraft manufacturer to support their helicopter the BO-105 and later with CASA the Spanish manufacturer the CN-212 and later the CN-235.

The little successes they had was mainly from their indigenous airline companies and their armed forces and token sales to Malaysia and Brunei. Sadly they could not advance further than these sales due to the relative high cost and reliability. IMO, they were not ready for such an advance technology coupled with the corrupted mindset of the people. When I was there, I could see how bad the situation was when purchasing and engineering departments were taking bribes for most items purchased. Since then there has been a few incidents and people were killed, but I have not kept tabs on their progress, but I doubt one can say they were successful when billions of dollars has been lost and most likely never will be recovered.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's incumbent upon me to deride all things Singaporean, however tenuous the link is. :biggrin:

I would have thought better of you if you had presented more concrete evidence other than Singapore bashing. Despite supporting more opposition in parliament and against many bad policies of the government, I believe there are many positive aspects of Singapore and it's citizens, being one myself. I don't look down on my own people.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bloody cuntry where 60% of the electorate are turkeys voting for Xmas and 40% i.e. "moderates" are patting themselves on the back for lacking conviction. :rolleyes: Welcome to Singapore - the country with more sheep than New Zealand :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Bloody cuntry where 60% of the electorate are turkeys voting for Xmas and 40% i.e. "moderates" are patting themselves on the back for lacking conviction. :rolleyes: Welcome to Singapore - the country with more sheep than New Zealand :biggrin:

Not at the moment I'm afraid but the sheep population in NZ has been falling for the last 3 decades while Singapore's sheep population is rising rapidly so it could be the case one day.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You should not tar everyone with the same brush. There are many successful Singaporeans who would not wish it any other way then keep the status quo and there are those with a sense of justice while there are those who oppose because they got into the shithouse all by themselves and expect others to help them.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I was there, I could see how bad the situation was when purchasing and engineering departments were taking bribes for most items purchased. Since then there has been a few incidents and people were killed, but I have not kept tabs on their progress, but I doubt one can say they were successful when billions of dollars has been lost and most likely never will be recovered.

Spore may have the technical proficiency ability to do the job but we are seeing "incidents" in Spore which can be traced to incompetence, cost cutting, ..... The train incident may just be the start of more serious things to come. How do you rectify the problem of complacency which has had years to develop:confused:

The good record that Spore achieved was a result of hard working Sporeans. Now we have plenty of foreigners out there with dubious credentials. Added to that are managers who are are more than happy to close their eyes to what is going on e.g. using plastic ties to repair some of the problems with the rail system :eek: :biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spore may have the technical proficiency ability to do the job but we are seeing "incidents" in Spore which can be traced to incompetence, cost cutting, ..... The train incident may just be the start of more serious things to come. How do you rectify the problem of complacency which has had years to develop:confused:

The good record that Spore achieved was a result of hard working Sporeans. Now we have plenty of foreigners out there with dubious credentials. Added to that are managers who are are more than happy to close their eyes to what is going on e.g. using plastic ties to repair some of the problems with the rail system :eek: :biggrin:

I do admit that Singapore appears to be going south. These are problems that will surface as we make progress and many things will go amiss. No one or no country will reach maturity without making a single mistake, that we should understand. As long as we learn not to repeat the same mistake again and again, I think we should be fine.

One problem that JYM Pillay had when he decided to opt for the A380 and use the RR engines was because there were no other competing engines at that time. Furthermore, the A300 was quite a good aircraft and Boeing do not have a similar aircraft. It was a giant move and so far the aircraft owned by SIA has no major problems. It is a tough market and there are many airlines biting the heels of SIA. SIA need to take the lead or be left behind, and I think Pillay was right.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Only in Australia that problems are checked and solved with high level of professionalism and of course unsinkieism.

If in sinkieland, it will never been found... oh yeah.. the planes belong to sinkieland. Need I say more?

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seven injured as turbulence hits Qantas A380
Sunday, Jan 08, 2012

SYDNEY - Seven passengers were injured and four needed treatment in hospital after a Qantas A380 flight from London to Singapore was rattled by strong turbulence, the Australian airline said on Sunday.

The Airbus superjumbo was three hours from Singapore when it hit a storm over Indian airspace early on Saturday and encountered “severe turbulence", a Qantas spokeswoman said.

“Seven passengers were impacted, four of them were taken to hospital on arrival in Singapore. They’ve all since been discharged and cleared to fly,” she said.

They mostly suffered bruising and had been out of their seats when the air pocket hit, she added.

“The aircraft was assessed, there’s no damage and it’s scheduled to arrive (in Sydney) at 9 o’clock this evening.”

The incident extended a run of misfortune for Qantas’s A380 fleet. One of the airline’s double-decker planes suffered a mid-air engine explosion after take-off from Singapore in November 2010. The plane landed safely.

The same Qantas plane was last week announced to be one of several A380s in operation by airlines to have had small cracks on their wings. Both Airbus and the carriers said there was no safety issue.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seven injured as turbulence hits Qantas A380
Sunday, Jan 08, 2012

SYDNEY - Seven passengers were injured and four needed treatment in hospital after a Qantas A380 flight from London to Singapore was rattled by strong turbulence, the Australian airline said on Sunday.

The Airbus superjumbo was three hours from Singapore when it hit a storm over Indian airspace early on Saturday and encountered “severe turbulence", a Qantas spokeswoman said.

“Seven passengers were impacted, four of them were taken to hospital on arrival in Singapore. They’ve all since been discharged and cleared to fly,” she said.

They mostly suffered bruising and had been out of their seats when the air pocket hit, she added.

“The aircraft was assessed, there’s no damage and it’s scheduled to arrive (in Sydney) at 9 o’clock this evening.”

The incident extended a run of misfortune for Qantas’s A380 fleet. One of the airline’s double-decker planes suffered a mid-air engine explosion after take-off from Singapore in November 2010. The plane landed safely.

The same Qantas plane was last week announced to be one of several A380s in operation by airlines to have had small cracks on their wings. Both Airbus and the carriers said there was no safety issue.

These seven passengers are so lucky. Based on precedence each one of them will receive compensations up to 3/4m Dollars.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
The essence of this forum is one of :

1) Telling the world how fucked up the Singapore govt is.

2) Telling the rest of the universe how even more fucked up the electorate is.

You have to get used to it or if you can't beat them, join them.

It's like the pimp telling his stable that prostitution is wrong, and then go about recruiting some more into his ring.

Oh, Sam you are an angel! A billion people are wrong about Singapore, and only Sam and his like-minded fiends are right.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These seven passengers are so lucky. Based on precedence each one of them will receive compensations up to 3/4m Dollars.

no way they get too much compensation. The most medical cost reimburse. They should be sitting down and safety belt on when the plane is flying into thunderstorm. The captain normally send a warning before he fly into the storm.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
airbus going down, they lost concord war with usa vs 747 size
now they going to lose this war, A380 size vs usa dreamliner fuel saver

problem A380 come at a time when there is world recession. who going to travel when their jobs on the line.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when SIA says the problem is fixed, you can be assured that the problem is fixed and not by cable ties. They cannot afford to offend their Solitaire customers of which many are CEOs, leaders, influential people.

if you can fly SIA for work related, why do you dispute? Be thankful, some companies insist on lowest quote for business related travels.

in any case, if there is a mishap, you can be sure of a higher payout by SIA vis-a-vis other airlines - just think SQ006.

Off hand, only Qantas has a 'better' record i believe for an international airline.

SG has a headstart for maintaining A380 because SIA is the launch customer. Also, the number of A380 being flown around the world is not that large to warrant the significant investment in labor, infrastructure. I am sure Emirates have their maintenance, Air France too - since these are two major users.

Regionally, it makes sense for airlines to fly their planes here for maintenance since SIAEC gives them competitive rates. Moreover, maintenance of aircraft is different from car maintenance, not any OEM people can do the job. You need certified engineers to sign off the engines / planes.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal