• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Airbus A380 fleet should be grounded, say engineers

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cant argue with the report. Looks like there was some crew error, but we are talking airline safety here, so why the need for the sinkie bit?

No need to bring this discussion to some other forummer's level is there?

A report on how useless Sinkie Airline, as with all things Sinkies, is.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cant argue with the report. Looks like there was some crew error, but we are talking airline safety here, so why the need for the sinkie bit?

Not all of the crew are Singaporeans, but then again they are all lumped together.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
1. The report says cracks on wings are not affecting the safety of the aircraft. Its a fly machine for goodness sake, up in the air and there is gravity. How are cracks not affecting safety? :rolleyes:

2. How could Airbus being a big company continue to produce cracking aircraft? Power of capitalism? These people in Airbus can sleep over this at night? :rolleyes:

3. Qantas safety record has been horrendously poor with recent near misses, yes no crash so far but then all these near misses are bloody hell near misses and luck is running out. Heard all these started when they subout to Malaysia for maintenance.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. The report says cracks on wings are not affecting the safety of the aircraft. Its a fly machine for goodness sake, up in the air and there is gravity. How are cracks not affecting safety? :rolleyes:

2. How could Airbus being a big company continue to produce cracking aircraft? Power of capitalism? These people in Airbus can sleep over this at night? :rolleyes:

3. Qantas safety record has been horrendously poor with recent near misses, yes no crash so far but then all these near misses are bloody hell near misses and luck is running out. Heard all these started when they subout to Malaysia for maintenance.

The A380's are maintained in Singapore. MAS has no capabilities to maintain the aircraft nor the engines.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The essence of this forum is one of :

1) Telling the world how fucked up the Singapore govt is.

2) Telling the rest of the universe how even more fucked up the electorate is.

You have to get used to it or if you can't beat them, join them.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i can accept that this forum does this from time to time but we were in the middle of some discussion, and that was not really relevant.

I can debate the other points in the appropriate threads or at least at the appropriate time.
The essence of this forum is one of :

1) Telling the world how fucked up the Singapore govt is.

2) Telling the rest of the universe how even more fucked up the electorate is.

You have to get used to it or if you can't beat them, join them.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro...to assure you the manufacturers are on top of this and they said the cracks are quite minor/insignificant. SIA will be sure to ground the fleet if the case is serious enough. It is definite that they are in consultations with the manufacturer and industry experts before any significant decisions are made.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes i concur with your post. It does make sense.

Bro...to assure you the manufacturers are on top of this and they said the cracks are quite minor/insignificant. SIA will be sure to ground the fleet if the case is serious enough. It is definite that they are in consultations with the manufacturer and industry experts before any significant decisions are made.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stopped flying A380 long ago due to the poor safety records of Airbus on this model especially.
And I avoid Quantas if possible. These guys never wash their planes, esp the domestic Dash turboprops flying into remote airstrips.

1. I will never fly on Quantas A380. They used the wrong engine - the only airline to use a the most powerful but untested RR engines. OK so the engines are tested over Indonesia more than 1 year back with speculator failure.
2. On the SIA A380, I felt the slow swaying motion of the underpowered engines on a full flight during take off. "Rock me to sleep baby" :biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stopped flying A380 long ago due to the poor safety records of Airbus on this model especially.
And I avoid Quantas if possible. These guys never wash their planes, esp the domestic Dash turboprops flying into remote airstrips.

1. I will never fly on Quantas A380. They used the wrong engine - the only airline to use a the most powerful but untested RR engines. OK so the engines are tested over Indonesia more than 1 year back with speculator failure.
2. On the SIA A380, I felt the slow swaying motion of the underpowered engines on a full flight during take off. "Rock me to sleep baby" :biggrin:

That is true that the under-powered engines are giving less problems. The A320's are pretty good aircraft and the CFM56 engines are very good engines. On long hauls take the B777, they are very reliable.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The A380's are maintained in Singapore. MAS has no capabilities to maintain the aircraft nor the engines.

To add, Malaysia is about to receive their first A380 soon.

Cannot be Malaysia cannot maintain A380 la Windsor, this should be peanuts for them, matyoyo even been to space already, sinkies only know A380 where got fight?

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
thank you Cruxx. The stats are there and i do respect them, but the preamble also counts.

SIA's record these last 10 years is quite clean so i guess they may have learnt something from their previous accidents and tightened up safety.

For the best safety record, I choose to fly Qantas.

One of their precautions taken for safety is to put on more stewards than stewardesses cos they believe that guys can provide more effective aids in the event of emergency.

It's high time SIA improves on its standard of service and replaces the damn boring foie gras and cheap caviar from its 1st class menu.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
the only way to improve is wait for a crash related to the crack to happen.

I doubt if there's a single plane in the world that doesn't have some cracks in it even when it's brand new.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot be Malaysia cannot maintain A380 la Windsor, this should be peanuts for them, matyoyo even been to space already, sinkies only know A380 where got fight?

Sadly though they have one Bumi to ever have been to space, he was only just a passenger. Monkeys and dogs also had also gone into space. There is nothing much to boast about the achievement.

Bro joetys, MAS do not, I repeat do not have the capabilities to maintain and repair the A380. They have other capabilities on the aircraft they are flying like the A330 and the B737 abd B747's. Why is this so? It is because to have many engineers trained and pilots to test fly the aircraft is too expensive when no one is sending their aircraft there for overhaul. The only RR engine repair facility in this region is in Singapore. MAS also cannot do maintenance on these engines nor the supporting industries like turbine blades repair, avionics repair, landing gear repair and overhaul and etc. Moreover, all the spare parts for both engines and aircraft are in Singapore. There is no reason for MAS to compete and duplicate what Singapore already has as there are only 67 aircraft operating worldwide. The market is too small unless like the B747 which has more than 1000 of them still flying. I hope you understand.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
joetys said:

Singapore is definitely ahead of Malaysia. Malaysia owns something on a satellite, developed by others and put an astronaut on board but more the role as a passenger. In terms of wayang, Singapore cannot compare with Malaysia. By the same token, Singapore have a few communication satellites (again built by others) orbiting in our own orbital positions (precious space real estates), something we chopped many years ago. Even Taiwan tried riding on us. Few years' back, some private company started a private space travel business and selected Singapore as the base but do not know what is the latest development as some of these sort of ventures are now becoming commercial reality. Much publicity too was NTU announcement of the development of an indigenuous mini-satellite but it seemed to be taking a long time. The most advanced nation in aeronautical in this region is, in fact, Indonesia which manufactures its own planes, used mainly for domestic flights, and hardly export any. By the same token, Singapore only does modification mainly in avionics and weaponry.