• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Air-con electrical consumption

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see many people install air-conditioner in their home but not many are actually using it, reason is of course due to electrical bills. Even in the poorer district like choa chu kang, bt batok majority I would say 80% installed air con. Is using air con all day long really that expensive in sinkieland ? Anyone tried on their air con throughout the hot weather and what is the charges you got from Singpower , purely on air con alone estimated ?
I really wonder why people install it just for show :confused: I am contemplating to install one but I am quite broke, have to seek for advice.:p

No a problem........ use electric power saver in your house. It saves you 22%

http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...Goods-Electric-Power-Saver-W0QQAdIdZ500663499

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
yr estimate is on the newest inverter system right? which brand better ah?

MEX is best as you can do maintenance yourself - important thing is to keep blower wheel and filters clean; do it once a month and it will save you lots of money too...... MeX service unfortunately it atrocious and expensive. It has a jappo MD who does not give a shit to sgian & has bad record with CASE

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have 4 air-con units (3 different brands) installed in my room. Once month, I left some units on for several days at a time. Electricity bill for that month hit $1k.

Since then, I've moderated usage : turn on all 4 air-con units only for a while in the hot afternoon till the room is cool enough, than only leave 1 or 2 air-con units running. Monthly electricity bill these days is approx $500, give or take.

I hv 6 units + 1 portable but normally using 2 excl the portable.... My total SP bill is about $280 - thanks to electric power saver which I bought for $170 8 yrs ago & still working. It as a approximate payback of 5 months ie money I saved in first 5 months paid for the device or courtesy of SP bill reductions!!!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok thanks for the info,..but power cost keep going up,,,so buy the most 'fuel' efficient one...and aircon dont have to turn on all the time...I mean set it at the highest minimal temp...i try to keep it above 24Deg c..24 or 25 deg is good enough..no need 20 deg..

efficiency depends on maintnance - DIY is cheaper than those cut throat aircon companies (they din call themselves airCON for nothing...), Datz why choose a brand which allow DIY jobbing

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
No a problem........ use electric power saver in your house. It saves you 22%
These electric power savers are not very effective on modern-day air-cons, especially the ones using inverter technology. That's because they are already very energy efficient and would not save much further. Furthermore, there is not much to gain because the power factor for these inverter units are already at their highest. I had personally tested 1 myself. I had used the tong meter (for measuring the AC current) to compare with and without the electric power saver installed on a DAIKIN air-con.

Previously, these electric power savers are applicable because there are many inductor appliances in the house, eg: fan, fluorescent light ballast, transformers in the power supply units of many electrical appliances, etc. Nowadays, many of these (except for the fan) have been replaced with solid state electronics and switching power supplies, which are much more energy efficient and their power factor are already at near to maximum.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually correct sizing is important. For example, if u have a big room but a low BTU unit, will end up paying more because the compressor keep running. Better to get a bigger BTU unit. Maintenance as someone already mentioned, also important.I get the aircon company to do bulk servicing including chemical washing of all my aircon units (about 30 of them) in my workplace every 3 months. None of the units broke down and the oldest unit I have is about 5 years.

Personally, I do not like to stay in aircon room. Prefer natural air.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah better to get over powered unit compare to underpower unit. over power one runs more.efficiently n u can always lower the settings.

Actually correct sizing is important. For example, if u have a big room but a low BTU unit, will end up paying more because the compressor keep running. Better to get a bigger BTU unit. Maintenance as someone already mentioned, also important.I get the aircon company to do bulk servicing including chemical washing of all my aircon units (about 30 of them) in my workplace every 3 months. None of the units broke down and the oldest unit I have is about 5 years.

Personally, I do not like to stay in aircon room. Prefer natural air.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, that means for a 800w unit running for 24 hrs only 800X24X0.2565 / 1000 = $49 estimated ? That's a good price le.

That wrong u forgotten to multiply 30 days.

The correct is below
800watt X 24h X 30days X $0.2565/1000= ********

Let say the aircon is rating 800watt it will not running at 800watt all the time or max power all the time after room cool down.
To be more accurate mostly will run at 50~70% on average for the max power.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The correct is below

Let say the aircon is rating 800watt it will not running at 800watt all the time or max power all the time after room cool down.

oh ya how can I miss out such a impt factor so it is estimated to be $49X30=$1470 for 1 unit running 24X7, minus what you all said will not run at 800W all the time, perhaps $1k, and further definitely wont be 24 hrs on, so $500 should be suffice.

Thanks for correcting .

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
These electric power savers are not very effective on modern-day air-cons, especially the ones using inverter technology. That's because they are already very energy efficient and would not save much further. Furthermore, there is not much to gain because the power factor for these inverter units are already at their highest. I had personally tested 1 myself. I had used the tong meter (for measuring the AC current) to compare with and without the electric power saver installed on a DAIKIN air-con.

Previously, these electric power savers are applicable because there are many inductor appliances in the house, eg: fan, fluorescent light ballast, transformers in the power supply units of many electrical appliances, etc. Nowadays, many of these (except for the fan) have been replaced with solid state electronics and switching power supplies, which are much more energy efficient and their power factor are already at near to maximum.

I am still saving $$$$$$$$$ on my electricity bills......

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see many people install air-conditioner in their home but not many are actually using it, reason is of course due to electrical bills. Even in the poorer district like choa chu kang, bt batok majority I would say 80% installed air con. Is using air con all day long really that expensive in sinkieland ? Anyone tried on their air con throughout the hot weather and what is the charges you got from Singpower , purely on air con alone estimated ?
I really wonder why people install it just for show :confused: I am contemplating to install one but I am quite broke, have to seek for advice.:p
Bro, you very rich staying bukit timah or orchard rd.???

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

This vid clip shows effectiveness of electric power saver - it is not for aircon alone but entire electrical appliances in your house.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrbnLGX7Ko&list=UUsWMa4sacxgSgaNvSlRp1Gg

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
This vid clip shows effectiveness of electric power saver - it is not for aircon alone but entire electrical appliances in your house.............
As I've said earlier, the electric power saver is effective for inductor appliances. In this case, the ballasts powering those cylindrical fluorescent tubes are those old type using transformers. That said, the electric power saver will be good because the capacitor inside it will cause an AC phase shift to improve the power factor of the transformer ballasts.

However, most consumers are using electronic ballasts nowadays. All those energy saving fluorescent lamps (also called twister bulbs) are using built-in electronic ballasts. Electronic ballasts utilize high frequency switching circuit to step up the voltage for the filament of the fluorescent tube. This method is much more efficient than the conventional transformer ballasts which covert at 50Hz frequency. The electric power saver is almost redundant when used with electronic ballasts.

Hint: Have you ever wonder why that video doesn't show with the use of those new energy saving fluorescent lamps? It had instead showed with the use of those older cylindrical fluorescent tubes and definitely using the old-type transformer ballasts. I can further attest to it as you can see the flickering effect on the fluorescent tubes because the conversion frequency is from the power mains frequency (50/60Hz). With electronic ballasts, there will be almost no flickering effect, which is also better for our eyes.

Last edited:

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I've said earlier, the electric power saver is effective for inductor appliances. In this case, the ballasts powering those cylindrical fluorescent tubes are those old type using transformers. That said, the electric power saver will be good because the capacitor inside it will cause an AC phase shift to improve the power factor of the transformer ballasts.

However, most consumers are using electronic ballasts nowadays. All those energy saving fluorescent lamps (also called twister bulbs) are using built-in electronic ballasts. Electronic ballasts utilize high frequency switching circuit to step up the voltage for the filament of the fluorescent tube. This method is much more efficient than the conventional transformer ballasts which covert at 50Hz frequency. The electric power saver is almost redundant when used with electronic ballasts.

Hint: Have you ever wonder why that video doesn't show with the use of those new energy saving fluorescent lamps? It had instead showed with the use of those older cylindrical fluorescent tubes and definitely using the old-type transformer ballasts. I can further attest to it as you can see the flickering effect on the fluorescent tubes because the conversion frequency is from the power mains frequency (50/60Hz). With electronic ballasts, there will be almost no flickering effect, which is also better for our eyes.

I use power saver too n I am happy with the savings I have achieved. I speak from experience, do you?

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, that means for a 800w unit running for 24 hrs only 800X24X0.2565 / 1000 = $49 estimated ? That's a good price le.

The correct is below

in both case, the division of 1000 is used wrongly.
if 800watt is used as an example for 30 days , 24hours a day:
then :
[ ( 800 x 24 x 30 ) / 1000 ] x $0.2565

Last edited: