• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ah neh to take over Chan Sek Kong as CJ

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot imagine CSK can langah with YPH. CSK was a subordinate of YPH from Shook Lin to the courts. CSK is not a firebrand for independence.

Not likely to happen. If YPH bo Emeritus, how to give CSK? Don't forget YPH and CSK langah many times in the past. The former has 100% support from LKY.

M

Mdm Tang

i worry if it is not Menon ,,,

Sundaresh Menon (born 1962) is a Singaporean Judge of Appeal and a former Attorney-General of Singapore.[1] Menon graduated with first class honours from the National University of Singapore Faculty of Law in 1986 and later obtained his Master of Laws from Harvard University.[2] He was appointed Senior Counsel in 2008.[3] He served a one-year term as Judicial Commissioner of the Supreme Court of Singapore from 2006 to 2007. Before assuming the position of Attorney-General, Menon was the managing partner of Rajah & Tann. He was also the deputy chairman of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, a member of the Senate of the Singapore Academy of Law, and Chairman of the Advisory Board for the law faculty of Singapore Management University.[1][2][4] Menon stepped down from the office of Attorney-General on 25 June 2012 assumed his new position of Judge of Appeal on 1 August 2012.[5] He will be appointed the Chief Justice with effect from 6 November 2012.[6]

SINGAPORE - When it was announced at the end of May that he was leaving the Attorney-General (AG) post to become Judge of Appeal - after a relatively brief tenure as AG - there was speculation among some in the legal fraternity that Justice Sundaresh Menon was primed to become the Republic's next Chief Justice (CJ).

As veteran lawyer Peter Low put it: When Justice Menon, 50, was appointed Judge of Appeal, "there was expectation at the Bar that it was a transitory appointment" because former CJ Yong Pung How and incumbent CJ Chan Sek Keong "both had experience on the Bench before becoming CJ".

Yesterday, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) announced that Justice Menon, who was sworn in as Judge of Appeal barely a month ago, would receive the gavel from CJ Chan on Nov 6, a day after the latter turns 75. PMO said that CJ Chan, who was appointed in 2006, will retire.

Justice Menon's appointment would see him - within a span of less than five months - go from being the State's "chief enforcer", to Appellate judge, to becoming the fourth man presiding over the Republic's highest court.

This meteoric rise was hardly surprising, legal eagles told TODAY.

Describing Justice Menon as an "excellent choice" for CJ, former AG Walter Woon, who is now the David Marshall Professor of Law at the National University of Singapore's (NUS) Centre for International Law, said: "He has had extensive experience as an advocate, both here and abroad… Also, he has a first-class brain, so I expect that the quality of jurisprudence emanating from the courts will continue to be excellent."

Drew & Napier chief executive Davinder Singh added that Justice Menon's "sharp legal mind, integrity and deep sense of right and wrong will make him an excellent CJ who will command the universal respect and confidence of the legal community".

Law Society of Singapore President Wong Meng Meng noted that Justice Menon was "one of the leading members of the Bar", before his appointments as AG and as Judge of Appeal. Said Mr Wong: "He was one of the most successful and definitely one of the most respected."

Commenting on his appointment, Justice Menon said it was "daunting to be faced with the prospect of taking over from someone who has been a towering figure in the Singapore legal landscape". "I pray that I will discharge this great responsibility with wisdom, courage, humility and honour," he added.

CJ Chan said being in the public service for 26 years, including six years as CJ, "has been a great honour and privilege given to few".

He said: "Justice Menon brings with him new ideas and perspectives on the administration of justice. I extend my best wishes to him and congratulate him on a well-deserved appointment."

Tributes also flowed for CJ Chan.

NUS law don Michael Hor said that CJ Chan "has brought the judiciary, and with it the legal system, of Singapore to a level of excellence which is easily on par with, and in some respects, even above the best legal systems of the world".

He will also be remembered for "his preponderant sense of evenhandedness".

"One came away from an encounter with the CJ satisfied that he had carefully considered and weighed everything that had been said, although he may not have ultimately agreed with what had been said," said Prof Hor.

Mr Wong said that under CJ Chan's watch, "the common man knows that he will not be denied justice in our Courts any more than the criminal may think he can escape or hoodwink justice".

"The Bar is especially grateful to CJ Chan for the exemplary judicial temperament he displayed throughout his tenure and the grace and respect extended to lawyers who appeared before him," said Mr Wong.

M

Mdm Tang

AsiaOne
Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012
The President, acting in his discretion, and in concurrence with the advice of the Prime Minister, has appointed Justice Sundaresh Menon, Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court, as the Chief Justice with effect from November 6.

He replaces Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong, who will retire on the same day after he reaches his 75th birthday.

Commenting on his appointment as the Chief Justice, Justice Menon said:

"I am greatly honoured and privileged to be entrusted with this awesome responsibility; and humbled by the calibre of those who have been so entrusted before me. I would like to pay a special tribute to Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong, under whom I have had the privilege and the pleasure of serving in various capacities.

"It is daunting to be faced with the prospect of taking over from someone who has been a towering figure in the Singapore legal landscape throughout the course of my professional career, but having known the Chief Justice for 25 years and having seen firsthand his personal kindness and generosity as a mentor and his love for the law, I know he will remain available to help in any way he can. I pray that I will discharge this great responsibility with wisdom, courage, humility and honour."

M

Mdm Tang

Justice Sundaresh Menon to be appointed new Chief Justice

Judge of Appeal Sundaresh Menon will be appointed the Chief Justice (CJ) of the Supreme Court with effect from Nov 6, replacing the present Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong who will retire on the same day after he reaches his 75th birthday.

A statement from the Prime Minister's Office on Wednesday afternoon said that the decision to appoint Justice Sundaresh Menon was taken "in concurrence with the advice of the Prime Minister".

The President, acting in his discretion, and in concurrence with the advice of the Prime Minister, has appointed Justice Sundaresh Menon, Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court, as the Chief Justice with effect from Nov 6 2012. The CJ said: "Being in the public service for 26 years, including serving as Chief Justice of Singapore in the past 6 years, has been a great honour and privilege given to few. I have found this opportunity to serve Singapore to be immensely meaningful and satisfying."

Paying a tribute to the CJ, Justice Menon said: "It is daunting to be faced with the prospect of taking over from someone who has been a towering figure in the Singapore legal landscape throughout the course of my professional career, but having known the Chief Justice for 25 years and having seen first hand his personal kindness and generosity as a mentor and his love for the law, I know he will remain available to help in any way he can. I pray that I will discharge this great responsibility with wisdom, courage, humility and honour.”

M

Mdm Tang

Justice Menon graduated with Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from the National University of Singapore in 1986 and later obtained a Master of Laws degree from Harvard Law School in 1991. He was admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 1987 and as an Attorney and Counsellor-at-law of the Bar of the State of New York in 1992. He was appointed Senior Counsel in January 2008.

Justice Menon is recognised as one of the leading lawyers in the fields of commercial litigation and arbitration, insolvency and construction law, in Singapore and abroad. He has advised and represented numerous local and overseas clients in complex and technical disputes and served in arbitration tribunals in various jurisdictions.

During his term as Judicial Commissioner, he presided over several prominent criminal and civil cases in the High Court. He has also served as the Deputy Chairman of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and has represented Singapore at UNCITRAL.

From April 2006 to March 2007, Justice Menon served as a Judicial Commissioner of the Supreme Court. After his stint at the Bench, he returned to Rajah & Tann becoming the Managing Partner in August 2009, a position he has held until his appointment as the Attorney-General on 1 October 2010. He was appointed as a Judge of Appeal on 1 August 2012.

M

Mdm Tang

SINGAPORE: Judge of Appeal, Sundaresh Menon, will be Singapore's new Chief Justice from 6 November.

Justice Menon will take over from current Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong, who will retire as a Judge of the Supreme Court on that day when he turns 75, said a statement from the Prime Minister's Office on Wednesday.

Chief Justice Chan, who took over from Mr Yong Pung How, said he has been in the public service for 26 years, including six years as Chief Justice.

He described it as a great honour and privilege given to few.

As Chief Justice, he had greatly benefited from the support of the Bench, the Bar, the Legal Service, the Singapore Academy of Law, as well as law academics.

"I am grateful for how the various bodies have worked together to build a justice system that is consonant with the times and as good as any in the world. I also wish to record my gratitude to the team of outstanding officers and staff who have supported me throughout my term as Chief Justice," said Chief Justice Chan.

He also said that Justice Menon brings with him new ideas and perspectives on the administration of justice.

On his new appointment, Justice Menon said that it is daunting to be faced with the prospect of taking over from someone who has been a towering figure in the Singapore legal landscape.

- CNA/ir

seesuatah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah! From the description looks like he is perfect for the job!

How can this be possible?

Has he no skeletons in his closet?

Like his predecessors?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope the appointment of Mr S Menon as Chief Justice would bring some hope to the poor "occupants" of the Death Row cells in Changi, as well as to their loved ones.

Chan Sek Keong was a man of humility, a great difference from his predeccessor.

With all the talk about granting judges more say in capital punishment cases, I certainly hope these Gentleman will bring much changes to how the Judiciary make decisions.

Long Live SINGAPORE

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congratulations !
next will be an Indian PM

Now, may I ask what is wrong in having a Singaporean born Indian Prime Minister to serve everyone here.

We are Singaporeans and, we as a united people deeply understand the true inner feelings of every race that has been born and bred here., don't we.....???

We did NS and suffered togather, did't we............

America chose Obama. As a non-white, is Obama really that bad.????

We had Condoleeza Rice as Secretary of State, USA.

Was she bad????

These couloured people served the Nation with pride..

Come on dear Smiling, please accept whoever your next PM may be or for that matter, even a CJ....

What we need is a HOPE that all Singaporeans will become united and we will have true progress, peace and prosperity for our Nation.

Smiling, I beg of you NOT to be a Rascist. We don't have such a place in Singapore. We need solidarity in the face of onslaught from foreigners.......

For God's sake, let us all progress and receive prosperity no matter who the PM or CJ maybe....Let a good and genuine one lead the way.......

Cast aside your prejudices about race, language and religion.

Let us prove to the World that we will accept anyone as a good PM and CJ just like the Americans do.......

Truly it is so sad that we have such people thinking like this.

Our children served NS along-side people of different faiths, customs, traditions and religion. Did't they???????????

Lets us all Singaporeans, prove to the World that we can.

Smiling, all Singaporeans love you too.............

Please don't talk about race..............

smiling

Alfrescian
Loyal
did you miss your medicine this morning ..

what did I say ..

i said next will be an Indian PM

are you supporting my statement or going against it ??

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yong-Pung-How.jpg

"I'm the greatest CJ ever!!!"

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Menon neh's first job will be to instruct his cheap justice over the show trials to proclaim the guilt of Kong Hee following the CCP's similar purge of Fa Lung Gong.

In addition, Menon will be a good choice to suppress trouble maker Ravi. The Brits use the old tactic of Neh Balk Neh to rule the sub continent and the regime noted the Brits' political genius.

For the Chink, a good dose of ISA with the Gestapo dogs acting the goons will suffice.

Singaporean2013

Wah... Law Minister ah neh... CJ also ah neh... the city will be shrouded in darkness

Absolutely insulting racist remarks.
This kind of racists must be dealt with appropriately by law. Racists either come from families of illiterate background or ill-brought up by parents. As a result they live as frogs in the well, failing to see a bigger world with multitude of races. I pity those who make this kind of racist remarks.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
menon1e.jpg

Judge of Appeal Sundaresh Menon will be appointed the Chief Justice (CJ) of the Supreme Court with effect from Nov 6, replacing the present Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong who will retire on the same day after he reaches his 75th birthday.

A statement from the Prime Minister's Office on Wednesday afternoon said that the decision to appoint Justice Sundaresh Menon was taken "in concurrence with the advice of the Prime Minister".

The President, acting in his discretion, and in concurrence with the advice of the Prime Minister, has appointed Justice Sundaresh Menon, Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court, as the Chief Justice with effect from Nov 6 2012. The CJ said: "Being in the public service for 26 years, including serving as Chief Justice of Singapore in the past 6 years, has been a great honour and privilege given to few. I have found this opportunity to serve Singapore to be immensely meaningful and satisfying."

Paying a tribute to the CJ, Justice Menon said: "It is daunting to be faced with the prospect of taking over from someone who has been a towering figure in the Singapore legal landscape throughout the course of my professional career, but having known the Chief Justice for 25 years and having seen first hand his personal kindness and generosity as a mentor and his love for the law, I know he will remain available to help in any way he can. I pray that I will discharge this great responsibility with wisdom, courage, humility and honour.”

Tony really has the slackest job in Singapore. Just say yes everytime to pinky.