• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AGC & the Court of Public Opinion - Massive Boo Boo

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The general consensus in the last 18 hrs is that the AGC made a massive boo boo. This is not a situation where a few ignorant chaps were making uninformed comments. This is not a case where people with agendas trying to tarnish the reputation of the courts. This is also not situation where there has been an organised and coordinated effort to demean the courts.

This is in effect a spontaneous reaction from many quarters and from people from all walks of life. This is a case where a taxi driver was robbed of his taxi, driven in a dangerous manner resulting in an airport worker being killed. A violent robbery followed by an unnecessary death of an innocent person.

And yes the sentence was unusual or more precisely very unusual in the eyes of the layman. Was the reaction unexpected? I think not. Minister of Home Affairs, had to explain at great lengths the Woffles Wu case with little success. The mystery remains. The editor with the state controlled press was let off with a fine as result of an error by a judge after killing a motorcyclist while on her handphone. Then the PRC businesswomen with means who submitted forged document to gain entry to Singapore was successful with her appeal and was fined while the usual sentence was a term in prison. And the list goes on and on and the common thread holding all these interesting cases is that the person is either connected or a foreigner.

So what should the authorities or AGC should have considered and done before the legal threats were issued.

1) The comments were from many quarters and therefore even a moron would have realised that this cannot be malicious or mischievous or organised. A genuine expression of concern from the court of public opinion. In this case the well worn adage of seeing Justice being done went right out of the window.

2) Examine internally why this case drew such a strong reaction in such a spontaneous manner and if the case from the moment the accused was charged to the sentence was done right. If he was mad, why proceed with the charge. He was medically found sane at the time of the incident yet got a huge discount for being mad. So is he mad or not?

3) Issue a statement explaining the case and why a sentence of that nature.

Honestly I wonder which moron came up with the idea of issuing legal threats to so many parties and making a fool of the AGC and the Govt.

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I promised you that before the end of this year, Singapor will see more major incidents of disaster. 3rd rate faked scholars with hearts smaller than a micropenis. Just watch. More to come.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bigfuck, I just googled micropenis, that shit is weird. :biggrin:

in other news:
the attempts by the state to throttled opinions is getting stale.
sporeans like to talk cock and this is not north korea, so dont kpkb all the time can. thanks you you :biggrin:

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dumb fuck opposition supporting retards. That China man only got 2 years because he was a China man. If he was a local, he would have got less than 6 mths. Retarded uneducated opposition supporting morons should check up on all the fatal hit and run accidents in the last few years and see the sentencing. Comment and complaining without using facts and brains

ChewCheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still find our courts not up to standard.

I wonder is it because some are like Darrine who buy gifts to their Profs to get better grades.

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dumb fuck opposition supporting retards. That China man only got 2 years because he was a China man. If he was a local, he would have got less than 6 mths. Retarded uneducated opposition supporting morons should check up on all the fatal hit and run accidents in the last few years and see the sentencing. Comment and complaining without using facts and brains

fuck you retard...hit and run your fucking head.... i hit and run your sorry pap dog's face and happily sit 6 moths ai mai?

lan chiau kia...

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
Careful hor..... wait agc sent letter to sam

Won't lah. Tiko Prof said that receiving gifts in NUS is so common.

12719265.jpg

Looks like he is trying to bring down his NUS colleagues with him.

Last edited:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The courts should not have done this.

Contempt notices should only be served to those who deliberately want to mock the courts or who don't care about rules and procedures.

Not to people who are just expressing a point of view or criticizing the outcome of a particular court case or sentencing. Criticism of the way individual cases are handled is not contempt.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is really a need to upgrade their standards which really require a quantum leap in their competence.:o

What standards...they are for show only..toe the line with International ones etc...but who is controlling the standard?...no need to explain right?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a govt which has the benefit of having a captive press and therefore has a distinct advantage over most countries including Malaysia to ensuring that it and its institutions are not shown in poor light. Yet the cry over the sentencing. Why did the captive press not explain the case better or do a bit of research on past cases. Were they lazy or felt that they had better things to do.

Interestingly why the pro bono help for foreigner. Do locals get such help?

Its the duty of the various institutions and the Govt to show that the Law has been applied appropriately to all. They cannot assume that the layman will understand the technicalities. More importantly do they expect the citizenry to remain quiet especially when an innocent party was killed. The taxi was hijacked and drove in a dangerous manner and not the result of a gross negligence or traffic accident.

Lastly when people apologise , it is to a avoid a lengthy legal process and possible financial ruin. Itis by no means an admission of error or that they convinced that the court did the right thing. Bear in mind TT Durai received apologies and financial compensation for 51 cases where lawsuits was issued and till the very end defended by authorities. When an NMP rose in parliament and raised the issue about NFK, the then Minister of Health Lim Hng Kiang firmly endorsed the man despite the fact that his Ministry's DS was refused cooperation and therefore saw find no value in attending further meeting with NKF.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The expectation was that Shanmugam or AGC explain the matters as result of the general outcry from the public. This is not the only surprise, the speed of the legal threat that was issued was also very surprising.

So when can members of public express concern. People will always speculate on such things. The adage where there is smoke there is fire applies.

I am also concerned how mental cases are treated.

Not your favourite Shanmugam ?

lesMISERABLES

Alfrescian
Loyal
@ scroobal

I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

However in this particular instance I would prefer that you refrain from giving suggestions on how the AGC or LEEgime should act.

You can be sure that you won't be rewarded by LEEgime or FamiLEE for how to run Sinkieland. By reward I mean a tenth or even a thousandth of what Pinky or his ministars are getting annually.

In the worst scenario, you might receive a subpoena for COC (contempt of court).

So why get yourself into a mess?

As for me, I rejoice in the fact that more and more departments of LEEgime are failing to the point that the masses are agitated and stressed. There is a tipping point for Sinkies.

I am not going to offer suggestions to LEEgime on how to run their affairs. Pinky and his ministars should by their actions justify they deserve to be the world's highest-paid politicians.

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
@ scroobal

I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

However in this particular instance I would prefer that you refrain from giving suggestions on how the AGC or LEEgime should act.

You can be sure that you won't be rewarded by LEEgime or FamiLEE for how to run Sinkieland. By reward I mean a tenth or even a thousandth of what Pinky or his ministars are getting annually.

In the worst scenario, you might receive a subpoena for COC (contempt of court).

So why get yourself into a mess?

As for me, I rejoice in the fact that more and more departments of LEEgime are failing to the point that the masses are agitated and stressed. There is a tipping point for Sinkies.

I am not going to offer suggestions to LEEgime on how to run their affairs. Pinky and his ministars should by their actions justify they deserve to be the world's highest-paid politicians.

since when did contempt of court become so sensitive that it is elevated to the status of a lese majeste legislation????

so saying that the court is wrong or fallible or incoherent or inconsistent is a frigging crime these days????

NBCCB!!!

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Master of Teleportation, Chan Sick Keong, had in 2010 asked for the law of contempt to be in statutory form.

Master of Selling Beef as Lamb, Shame-mugam promised to have the draft bill tabled before Parliament by end of 2012.

Grossly overpaid Ministar, now is April 2013! Why the delay? Something fishy going on.

They want to quash criticism of some FIXING cases began in 2012 using present feudal style laws before bringing the new modern rules?

Will the Law Society be asked for comments on this Contempt of Court Bill? It is already a joke that the LS cannot comment on legislation unless called upon by Parliament. Will be the greatest joke on earth if LS is not allowed to comment on a bill so intimately connected with the work of lawyers.

Click for 2012 newspaper report:

http://www2.smu.edu.sg/news_room/smu_in_the_news/2012/sources/TODAY_20120518_1.pdf

Last edited: