• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Advice to my fellow jobless Singaporeans

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
As cynical as this may sound, locals persistently suffering long term unemployment have PAP's myopic policies to thank for. High costs of living, ever increasing CPF retirement sum requirements to meet , a vastly uneven playing field existing between foreigners and citizens as well as National Service obligations have all played a part in creating a very toxic job market. Meanwhile policymakers and PAP supporters have their fingers in their ears going "lalalallalaal I can't hear you." or "at least you're not in Africa" or "no rape at 3am"; talking about high GDP and low tax rates on capital gains, indirectly invalidating your concerns, as if your problems aren't real.

I have been jobless since 2010. Performed all types of part time jobs, even ended up working as a security guard in a cemetery. I started (and failed) multiple businesses, eventually finding some minor success trading in the US market. My advice to those frustrated by the present inertia of things as far as job-hunting is concerned: get started by driving for Grab or work in delivery. The small amount of money will see you through to the next day and the next and the next...... with fingers tightly crossed, eventually your circumstances shall take a turn for the better. Give up on the white collar jobs for now. The job market is not as rosy as the papers make it out to be.

More at Advice to my fellow jobless Singaporeans

nin-nao-hiah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed and similar experiences here.
No such thing as small pay; but such a thing as no pay. Small pay is small problem. No pay is big problem.
Small money is ok; no money is big problem.
Wish everyone well.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As cynical as this may sound, locals persistently suffering long term unemployment have PAP's myopic policies to thank for. High costs of living, ever increasing CPF retirement sum requirements to meet , a vastly uneven playing field existing between foreigners and citizens as well as National Service obligations have all played a part in creating a very toxic job market. Meanwhile policymakers and PAP supporters have their fingers in their ears going "lalalallalaal I can't hear you." or "at least you're not in Africa" or "no rape at 3am"; talking about high GDP and low tax rates on capital gains, indirectly invalidating your concerns, as if your problems aren't real.

I have been jobless since 2010. Performed all types of part time jobs, even ended up working as a security guard in a cemetery. I started (and failed) multiple businesses, eventually finding some minor success trading in the US market. My advice to those frustrated by the present inertia of things as far as job-hunting is concerned: get started by driving for Grab or work in delivery. The small amount of money will see you through to the next day and the next and the next...... with fingers tightly crossed, eventually your circumstances shall take a turn for the better. Give up on the white collar jobs for now. The job market is not as rosy as the papers make it out to be.

Can say your qualifications and most recent certifications, your age, work experience, job field, have kids, what liabilities you have mortgages, car loans etc? To paint a better picture and let us know how bad your sector is. I have friends who are jobless because of their health problems, employers simply do not want to hire anyone over 40 and those with illnesses.

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can say your qualifications and most recent certifications, your age, work experience, job field, have kids, what liabilities you have mortgages, car loans etc? To paint a better picture and let us know how bad your sector is. I have friends who are jobless because of their health problems, employers simply do not want to hire anyone over 40 and those with illnesses.

garlic limpei din write this, just sharing nia

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
This 40 something group of sinkies who born between 1970 to 1978 are the most vulnerable lots.

If you have a job now, it's better to save up every dollar and cut away unnecessary oversea vacation.

Over the last 3 years, I had sinkie ex-colleagues in early thirties who lost their jobs took almost 1 year to get the next job

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
foreigners-1.jpg

Song Bo? :biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The sinkie household median income has been increasing yearly to about S$9k per month.

If you have problems holding down a white collared PMET work, the fault is more likely on your end than any systematic PAP misrule.