• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Workers Party Cabinet Line-up

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe Low Thia Khiang never had it in his mind to fight the PAP for power. Like all Singaporeans he wondered what would happen one day if the PAP failed. Did Singapore have a plan B? One could not reasonably expect the PAP to come up with such a Plan. Unlike most of us, he actually did something. The PAP kind of management requires a breed of super beings. We do not have an endless supply of such people. Raising salaries to millions was an attempt to draw such people into government. Obviously, that has not worked. In fact people are enraged at the perception they have got less than what they paid for. Everyone knows the PAP needs to be reformed. This is changing tyres while the car is moving. The WP does not have all the talent it needs to form a government. There is enough talent but it is spread out amongst various parties. AS GY says " whither Singapore".

The PAP has not explained the kind of Singapore it is trying to build. They only understand GDP. All "pragmatic" measures must be taken to grow GDP. This is not a criticism. Every party grows up around some central tenet. If you plan to stay in Singapore just ask yourself if that is good enough for you.

Last edited:

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
..... although the WP may not want to form the next Govt,

WP did not and does not say it dun want to form the next Govt. Period.

It is in the voters' collective hand to decide where Singapore governance will go.

..... Any credible political party must hope to be the govt one day

Of course. And I'm sure WP does too.

....... that LTK and SL are prepared to form the next govt

I guess we'll never know if they are prepared or not, until they are entrusted to do that job.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Prefer our ministers to be expert in their fields.
In many countries, ministers do not need to be selected MP.
The able and efficient ministers should be handpicked by winning party, then approved by parliament.

The problem is when a guy becomes too much of an expert and deep, his field of expertise narrows. Ministers should be people with broad vision rather than deep knowledge as they can employ people with deep knowledge to support them.

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I certainly agree that there ought to be a Shadow Cabinet in the event of the PAP being swept away via the power of the ballot-box.

There will also be other areas that ought to be looked at in such an eventuality.

Who will become the CJ, AG, SG, Perm Secs, Directors ISD, CPIB, PA and so many more.....The list goes on.

The WP should now prepare the list with their Cabinet line-up and people for the other positions mentioned above.

It should also prepare a list for ambassadorial positions.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I certainly agree that there ought to be a Shadow Cabinet in the event of the PAP being swept away via the power of the ballot-box.

There will also be other areas that ought to be looked at in such an eventuality.

Who will become the CJ, AG, SG, Perm Secs, Directors ISD, CPIB, PA and so many more.....The list goes on.

The WP should now prepare the list with their Cabinet line-up and people for the other positions mentioned above.

I think LTK believes the Chinese saying: A ship will automatically straighten out once alongside.

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who will become the CJ, AG, ........

High Court judges have security of tenure i.e. they cannot be removed until they reach the age of 65. Prior to that age a High Court judge can only be removed by a tribunal of 5 "on the ground of misbehaviour or of inability, from infirmity of body or mind or any other cause" affecting his ability "to properly discharge the functions of his office".

Please see Article 98 of the Constitution here: http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...ansactionTime:12/03/2013 Status:inforce;rec=0

Me thinks Soon-There'll-Be-Less-Melons will still be way below 65 in 2016.

However, me also thinks our judges know which side of the bread to butter. Once the Executive arm (Ministars, Perm Secs, etc) has been purged of PAPzi cronies, the rest will follow. Back in law school, my lecturers always said "the Judiciary relies on the Executive to carry out its judgments".

The AG on the other hand is a member of the Executive, has no security of tenure, and can be removed at any time.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is when a guy becomes too much of an expert and deep, his field of expertise narrows. Ministers should be people with broad vision rather than deep knowledge as they can employ people with deep knowledge to support them.

Nonsense. Ministers are in charge of one specific field so that they can be easily questioned by the public and parliamentarians

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nonsense. Ministers are in charge of one specific field so that they can be easily questioned by the public and parliamentarians

When you are talking of the scope of study of an academic, you could be talking of the impact of foreign imports on the economic growth of the country or the effect of opposition members in Parliament on the governance of Singapore. When you are a Minister, you need to have a broader vision than that. Sometimes being an expert in a narrow field actually handicaps you.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

These are salaried workers. Don't think the present appointment holders are all there are. Many who have been suppressed because of their political leaning can now rise up to fill the positions.