• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

williamangkh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dinner at a very nice Thai restaurant pub

0gYxtWj.jpg

Pork neck meat fried
wRZGpFp.jpg

Somtam
CEgkzpT.jpg

Minced pork with Thai herbs
M1iSKRu.jpg

Seafood salad
1XlrDvs.jpg

Seabass with fish sauce
JmruFCN.jpg

Pork jerky
9yjoa5Y.jpg

Cashew
12DZWA4.jpg

Salad
w2TFyMW.jpg

Sweet and sour seabass
c2EGhhT.jpg

Chicken wings with lemon grass
vj6BcgT.jpg

Fruits
tXhj8Zd.jpg

More drinks
3HfVGmv.jpg

Preparing our drinks
k7AVVyM.jpg
Wow...i was there last night and also in your video.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stayed at Modena (Frasers), FYI Center Rama 1V. Conveniently next to Queen Srirkit MRT. Arty cafes, but like CBD (stock exchange) dead on weekends. Nice to be away from ah tiong hordes.

Last night got some beer garden and live concert with Fedebrau beer sod beer. Time Out Bkk was theme. Kept me out of trouble last night . Beer bites with sausage selection nicely done in a cup
A806B4B7-8A74-4E80-A825-AAB3AD71D124.jpeg
15E208DE-9D8E-4568-AE0A-F536A9DB76F6.jpeg
1C4DFFB4-6464-4C92-883A-747069A1C85F.jpeg
2440C6B7-D9DD-4EC6-8CED-1CAF55E8FACA.jpeg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Found a nice hotel in Jomtien beach yesterday room is very big, clean and comfortable.

Welcome chrysanthemum drink, cold towel and beautiful leelawadee flower, very refreshing after a 2.5hrs drive

Wz1d1E3.jpg

The room

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Very relaxing breakfast, beautiful lobby and dining area

hN608nW.jpg

HRV1TPw.jpg

wObe5U6.jpg

USYwMh5.jpg

Thai noodle breakfast
PSMfCNe.jpg

Relax
9NVYBQM.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I may come to Pattaya often however I rarely visit Jomtien area as I am used to Pattaya North and South are but this time I thought I stay here to experience

Driving along the Jomtien beach to go lunch

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So I was driving to Bacco Italian restaurant in Jomtien beach, this is my first time to this restaurant as I googled pizza in Jomtien and this was the recommendation

Huge and relaxing restaurant I must say

dvRuYmg.jpg

Lazy and hot afternoon, we had a bottle of white wine and some minestrone soup
V6kWWhI.jpg

Fresh salad
VDdoR88.jpg

Meat laden pizza
8On9NnH.jpg

Mussels
2mTGNpV.jpg

Nice and relaxing view
dg3tpmT.jpg

VurKh4i.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It takes a local to bring you to a very local place like this if not, especially as a foreigner, one will never know.

I was suggesting to a local (as in Pattaya) fellow Singaporean to have a light dinner at my favourite Thai khao tum (boiled rice) place, Chok Anand, where they serve plain khao tum (boiled rice) and order many different Thai/Chinese dishes which will be freshly cooked. This type of food is similar to Teochew porridge except most of the dishes will be freshly cooked.

Its a funny name, restaurant up in the north of Pattaya in a place known as Naklua
iDKqvBq.jpg

The shop front
EKuXQVX.jpg

Inside sitting with cover
YtaNNbA.jpg

BH6TJyN.jpg

Outside sitting at the back of the restaurant
oojagFy.jpg

Minced pork fry with chinese olives
R6kd3BP.jpg

Braised duck
m02Le9B.jpg

Glass noodle with seafood yam (salad)
05yEvTt.jpg

Stir fry vegetables
1Egm08s.jpg

Clams stir fry with herbs
XEQn98A.jpg

Salted egg yam (salad)
zRC3Ukx.jpg

Omelette
3H0gZgq.jpg

Seabass fry with fish sauce
jTxXR35.jpg

The meal
OOCqGNP.jpg

The kitchen
LsgN538.jpg

zAPZ2Xn.jpg

Chief chef
6mmVDk4.jpg

Meal costs 1,005 baht or $44 (minus the whisky of course but include drinks and 3 buckets of ice)

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Haven't have dinner tonight and its 10pm so got to do what I got to do.

My favourite instant noodle is Myojo so here it goes, the way I normally have it

Preparing the water
xKVjct6.jpg

Preparing the sauce - sesame oil, fried shallots oil, soya sauce and some pepper
gweNQqj.jpg

At the same time fry an egg
K0bTJrp.jpg

Noodle cooked transfer into bowl with sauce add some fried shallots over it
gahD1N5.jpg

Top with the egg and boun appetito
Sm2TXd1.jpg

Cannot be lazy, must clean up after that
ZzRgg5R.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Japan's discount king Don Quijote makes splash in Thai debut
Cheap prices and flashy displays lure crowds to maverick retail chain
MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer March 03, 2019 03:49 JST

LomnVHJ.jpg

BANGKOK -- Hundreds of shoppers queued for the opening of Japanese discount chain Don Quijote's first Thai store in Bangkok late last month, eager to experience the outlet's eye-popping array of items, from cosmetics and clothes to appliances and toys.

"I visited [Don Quijote] when I traveled to Japan, and I'm really happy they've opened a store in Bangkok," said 42-year-old Boonyanuch Buaban as she waited in line.

Don Don Donki, as the store is called in Thailand, is among more than 30 other tenants at Donki Mall Thonglor, a shopping complex launched on Feb. 22 by Pan Pacific International Holdings, operator of the Don Quijote chain.

The store is a carbon copy of its namesake in Japan, complete with the Don Quijote theme song blaring nonstop, products piled high in unexpected locations, and in-your-face displays.
When news of the outlet broke in 2017, a local newspaper hyped it as a "long-awaited opening."

The buzz surrounding the store has been generated mainly by tourists returning from Japan, which has become a popular destination for Thais and other Southeast Asians. Don Quijote stores in Japan are now a must-go for souvenir shopping thanks to the variety of products, cheap prices and late hours. In particular, the stores stock everyday Japanese items favored by foreign visitors.

yBMmFaI.jpg

At a news conference in Thailand, Koji Ohara, president and CEO of Tokyo-listed parent Pan Pacific International Holdings, said he wanted to make the store Bangkok's "most entertaining" attraction while offering "the lowest prices."

"We plan to keep prices as low as in Japan -- 50% higher would be the highest we might go," Ohara said. However, tariffs and distribution costs make cost-cutting difficult. Purchasing fresh foods directly from local producers could help lower the cost, according to Ohara.

Donki Mall Thonglor -- which Don Don Donki anchors -- is designed to be a "comprehensive amusement mall" for families and young people. In mid-March, it will open a limited-run theme park featuring costumed mascots, among them Hello Kitty and other products from Japan's Sanrio.

Don Quijote's Thai debut comes as Pan Pacific's Japanese operations sag. Same-store sales fell 1.2% in December -- the first decline in 28 months -- followed by a 0.3% dip in January. The company attributes the consecutive-month fall to the shrinking number of Japanese shoppers.

To make up for this Pan Pacific is looking overseas, with plans to eventually operate about 200 stores in the U.S. and Asia outside Japan. The company wants its foreign operations to account for about 30% of total revenue from the current 10%.

Pan Pacific launched its first branch in Singapore in December 2017 and has since opened two more.

Nikkei staff writer Yuma Ikeshita contributed to this article.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan's discount king Don Quijote makes splash in Thai debut
Cheap prices and flashy displays lure crowds to maverick retail chain
MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer March 03, 2019 03:49 JST

LomnVHJ.jpg

BANGKOK -- Hundreds of shoppers queued for the opening of Japanese discount chain Don Quijote's first Thai store in Bangkok late last month, eager to experience the outlet's eye-popping array of items, from cosmetics and clothes to appliances and toys.

"I visited [Don Quijote] when I traveled to Japan, and I'm really happy they've opened a store in Bangkok," said 42-year-old Boonyanuch Buaban as she waited in line.

Don Don Donki, as the store is called in Thailand, is among more than 30 other tenants at Donki Mall Thonglor, a shopping complex launched on Feb. 22 by Pan Pacific International Holdings, operator of the Don Quijote chain.

The store is a carbon copy of its namesake in Japan, complete with the Don Quijote theme song blaring nonstop, products piled high in unexpected locations, and in-your-face displays.
When news of the outlet broke in 2017, a local newspaper hyped it as a "long-awaited opening."

The buzz surrounding the store has been generated mainly by tourists returning from Japan, which has become a popular destination for Thais and other Southeast Asians. Don Quijote stores in Japan are now a must-go for souvenir shopping thanks to the variety of products, cheap prices and late hours. In particular, the stores stock everyday Japanese items favored by foreign visitors.

yBMmFaI.jpg

At a news conference in Thailand, Koji Ohara, president and CEO of Tokyo-listed parent Pan Pacific International Holdings, said he wanted to make the store Bangkok's "most entertaining" attraction while offering "the lowest prices."

"We plan to keep prices as low as in Japan -- 50% higher would be the highest we might go," Ohara said. However, tariffs and distribution costs make cost-cutting difficult. Purchasing fresh foods directly from local producers could help lower the cost, according to Ohara.

Donki Mall Thonglor -- which Don Don Donki anchors -- is designed to be a "comprehensive amusement mall" for families and young people. In mid-March, it will open a limited-run theme park featuring costumed mascots, among them Hello Kitty and other products from Japan's Sanrio.

Don Quijote's Thai debut comes as Pan Pacific's Japanese operations sag. Same-store sales fell 1.2% in December -- the first decline in 28 months -- followed by a 0.3% dip in January. The company attributes the consecutive-month fall to the shrinking number of Japanese shoppers.

To make up for this Pan Pacific is looking overseas, with plans to eventually operate about 200 stores in the U.S. and Asia outside Japan. The company wants its foreign operations to account for about 30% of total revenue from the current 10%.

Pan Pacific launched its first branch in Singapore in December 2017 and has since opened two more.

Nikkei staff writer Yuma Ikeshita contributed to this article.
Also popular here Sg (3 stores). One in Orchard Central is 24/7 even. Qs with 20 counters. Gives ntuc a good run for money, especially with food items. Nickname Donki

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Also popular here Sg (3 stores). One in Orchard Central is 24/7 even. Qs with 20 counters. Gives ntuc a good run for money, especially with food items. Nickname Donki

You have been warned - this is a Thai thread not sinkie thread

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
He was posting, may be, to compare or to inform, that the same store chain, also has a few stores in SG.
Why issue a warning to him?

The warning is necessary for me to get a free beer next time we meet