• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Come, not fly with us :p

CAAT mulls revoking 4 air licences
Debts, liquidity woes pose major concerns

• Bangkok Post Published: 23/02/2016 at 04:00 AM
    c1_872548_160223051641_620x413.jpg

Kan Air, City Airways, Jet Asia and Asian Air are in such serious economic trouble that the government has ordered aviation regulators to consider revoking their business licences.

Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) is considering revoking the aviation business licences of four small airlines found to have racked up exorbitant debts.

The airline's are City Airways, Kan Airlines, Asian Air and Jet Asia Airways.

CAAT director Chula Sukmanop said the four carriers were found to have serious liquidity problems and Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith has instructed the CAAT to keep tabs on their operations, particularly their safety standards.

The CAAT is considering whether to revoke their air operating licences (AOLs), Mr Chula said. Efforts will also be made to adjust the criteria to award AOLs and Air Operator Certificates (AOCs) to carriers, he noted.

City Airways Co, which runs City Airways, has significant debts, most of which are short-term liabilities, Mr Chula said, adding the company is facing a liquidity shortage.

Based on records from Feb 5, the firm owed 25.08 million baht to Aeronautical Radio of Thailand (Aerothai) and 6.73 million baht to the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (CAD). The company also has debts from unpaid aircraft rentals.
Kannithi Aviation Co, which operates Kan Airlines, was found to have borrowed an additional 27 million baht from financial institutions to boost its liquidity. As of Feb 5, its debt-to-capital ratio reached 18:3. The company owed 10.21 million baht to Aerothai and 1.11 million baht to Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT).

Asian Air Co, which runs Asian Air, has not yet submitted its financial statements. The firm still owed 69.68 million yen (about 22.07 million baht) in airport charges to Japan's Narita Airport. The Central Bankruptcy Court ordered the seizure of the firm's assets on Jan 26 and the company subsequently suspended its flights on Feb 5.

Jet Asia Airways Co, which runs Jet Asia Airways, posted 250 million baht in losses, exceeding its registered capital, based on its financial statements released on Nov 30 last year. The firm racked up accumulated losses of 525.18 million baht. As of Feb 5, it owed about 49.46 million baht to Narita Airport and 16.23 million baht to Aerothai.

"We found evidence that these airlines shoulder very large debts," said Mr Chula, adding that consideration will be given to whether they are still suitable to run an airline business.

In the past, the approval of an airline's business operation was done easily and no audit was carried out on the airline's financial status, he said, adding Mr Arkhom instructed the relevant officers to pay attention to these issues.

The authorities are not only interested in the losses in the airlines' operating results, but also to their capital, liquidity as well as debt-to-asset ratio, the CAAT director said. Those found to have debt exceeding capital will be closely monitored, he noted.
Mr Chula said he instructed all the airlines to submit their financial statements by the end of next month. Some carriers have already submitted them.

Based on their financial statements, the CAAT will examine the airlines' operational problems, accumulated losses, liquidity, loans and other financial risks, he said. According to the CAAT director, 16 Thai-registered airlines currently provide routine flights. One of them provides a cargo transport service.

Another 29 carriers provide unscheduled flights, including nine operators providing helicopter services and one balloon service provider. Two airlines -- Asian Air and Business Air -- are facing legal action by the authorities and are subject to asset seizures.
Referring to new operators who want to enter the airline business, Mr Arkhom said both their financial status and management must be examined.

The key mission is to ensure the airlines have effective safety standards in place, the minister said. He said he ordered concerned officials to conduct audits of the airlines' financial status, which can reflect their business capacity.

"Those airlines affected by significant liabilities or debts from aircraft rentals can be seen as incapable of managing their businesses," said Mr Arkhom. "The question must be raised about how airlines with unstable finances and debts can still be allowed to operate."

Referring to the problem of the Thai aviation industry, the minister said that Thai-registered airlines can seek protection by law, which means they can even countersue their creditors, which he said is not right.

As for Thai-registered carriers which rent aircraft but fail to pay rental charges, the planes' owners still have no authority to revoke the airlines' right to use the aircraft, he said. This results in problematic airlines still using the leased planes.
The owners of the aircraft can do nothing, except to seek the court's approval to seize the airlines' assets.

Mr Arkhom acknowledged concerns over the CAAT's failure to accede to the Cape Town Convention, an international treaty that protects commercial ownership rights and security interests in aircraft, which could be an impediment to foreign aircraft lessors who would be unable to take action against airlines that still owe rental charges.

Other loopholes include the fact that Thai airlines can also seek court injunctions and that the CAAT cannot force them to return the aircraft to the plane lessors, he said. Mr Arkhom said efforts are being made to fix the problem because many debt-ridden airlines are still allowed to operate and it is hard to ensure the safety of these carriers.

Referring to the country's aviation oversight, the minister said a major problem is the shortage of qualified personnel to ensure the airlines are above board.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Satirical piece on the merc fiasco :p

STOPPAGE TIME
Can we ‘Mercedes’ our way to nirvana?
The Nation February 24, 2016 1:00 am

Nothing says “faith in God” better than the Pope’s bullet-proof car, goes the joke. It’s a smart, satirical statement, but Christians defend the papal protection by using the “Just in case” argument. Evil is powerful and always at work, they will point out, so a little caution can’t hurt.

It's a lot trickier for Buddhists to defend a senior monk's possession of a Mercedes Benz. For one thing, "evil" in Buddhism doesn't refer to those who might try to attack the luxury vehicle but apparently to the vehicle itself. The "Just in case" or "A little caution" argument might still work, but it has to be used intricately.

So, if you were a lawyer hired to defend the senior monk against charges of violating the key principles of Buddhism, what would you say? This question has haunted me for the past few days, until I came up with the following. Lord Buddha might disagree with it, of course, but everyone deserves a chance to defend his actions.

Here's what the lawyer in me would say to a Buddhist court (if such a thing existed):

"Show me one senior monk, Your Honour, who doesn't have a car, who has to walk for miles to give sermons to his followers. Or better still, show me any part of the Buddhist canon that says riding in a thing with four wheels and running on a special liquid sucked up from the ground is a sin.

"No? How about I show you photos of some of the world's most revered Buddhist monks on aeroplanes? Surely that's a bigger crime than travelling in a Mercedes Benz, don't you think?

"That Lord Buddha never banned air-conditioned vehicles from his disciples' lives means they can own them. He only said Buddhist monks should limit their possessions to 'necessities'. Take my word for it, Your Honour, cars are a must in today's world. You need them to reach the sorry souls living in areas where monks could never travel otherwise.

"So why can't it be a cheap Toyota, Mazda, Suzuki or Honda? That's your question, isn't it? It's trendy to say you can't 'Mercedes' your way to nirvana, but please hear me out. My question is, which car is safer? This is Buddhist economy, Your Honour. Thanks to its superior safety record, a Mercedes Benz gives you better insurance - or assurance - that you will reach nirvana in this life.

"You don't want to spend hundreds of lives trying to reach nirvana, Your Honour. You would be a waste of precious resources, which goes against Buddhist frugality. You are a lot less likely to be killed in a road accident if you own a Mercedes, so it's safe to say it's a fast vehicle to nirvana.

"I sense you still have doubts, Your Honour. You remain suspicious that my client possesses the car not because he wants to reach nirvana as fast as possible, but because he is, well, a big-time materialist. If you don't buy my argument that a Mercedes is a nirvana insurance policy, I have this question, sir: Who can preach "detachment" better - someone who has never owned a thing, or someone who has everything? A wise man once said that you can never really understand sin until you become a sinner yourself.

"Even Prince Siddhartha once had everything. If there had been luxury German cars during his time, I'm certain his palace garage would have boasted a few. Buddhism is a process of learning, Your Honour. And when you come to think of it, the word "detachment" needs an object. You can't detach yourself from anything if you have nothing to begin with. To understand Buddhism, you need something to detach yourself from. See?

"And on that point I rest my case, Your Honour."

There you have it, my imaginary defence of the under-fire monk. On a more serious note, though, if possessing a Mercedes is wrong then much else is also morally dubious in the Thai Buddhist Sangha. Senior monks owning luxury cars might seem outrageous, but it's just a symptom of a sickness so pervasive and deep-rooted that we don't know exactly who to blame. We can't change things by adding "Mercedes Benz" to the list of banned items. Buddhism doesn't work that way.

We aren't talking about a set of rules here. Buddhist enlightenment is not something that can be reached by finding loopholes. In other words, you can't comb greed's hair, dress up your un-Buddhist actions and expect to access nirvana. The road to the destination is so simple and complicated at the same time, depending on your choice of vehicle.

chonburi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daily exercise routine at Dongtan Beach in Jomtien. One of the better beaches here due to the better quality visitors.

Recently renovated beach (Jomtien Beach Road)

Police Post at the entrance to Dong Tan Beach.

Nice beach but will be better minus the safety barriers.

One of the resorts along Dong Tan beach.

Farangs doing exercise here.

Jogging

One of the highly recommended resorts.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'Loaded penis' ancient site

Archaeological site vandalised

Photos of vandalism at Phuhinjomtat Forest Park in Udon Thani have gone viral after being posted on Udon Thani Update's Facebook page on Tuesday.

The poster reported that messages, like "I love prostitute ladies", "Tay love First" and "Loaded penis" were carved into the rocks of this archaeological site in Thailand's northeastern province.

One of the photos shows a sign, saying "Do not write or carve on the rocks" but it was clearly ignored by some visitors.
"What the pop singer wrote on a kilometre post in Chiang Rai is minor compared to the vandalism done by some idiotic people. They destroyed ancient paintings in the cave and on the rocks," the post said.
Netizens criticised the vandals for damaging the natural tourist attraction and writing rude and unintelligible gibberish.

"Younger generations will surely lose respect for our generation after seeing this," a net user wrote.

Early this week, Thai pop singer Jiravich "Hut The star 8" Pongpanit apologised publicly for writing his name, autograph and Instagram account on a kilometre post at Phu Chi Dao, a popular Chiang Rai tourist attraction and one of the recommended spots for great views. Photo credit: Theethawat Singhasiri

549823DBF3644AF19E158EBB6A165518.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/photo/875008/archaeological-site-in-udon-thani-thailand-vandalised

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chaos BTS

BTS Meltdown

Crippled Skytrain repairs not expected until midnight

A switching problem that crippled Bangkok’s Skytrain mass-transit system Wednesday morning is not expected to be resolved until late tonight.

Anat Arbhabhirama, director for Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc, which operates the capital's two elevated electric train lines, said technicians discovered the equipment breakdown Tuesday night, but were unable to fix it before the system opened at 5am.

BTS hopes to have repairs completed by midnight, he said. The breakdown cut train frequencies in half and forced passengers to switch trains at Siam station, causing delays and long lines on the Skytrain's Sukhumvit Line.

The problems affected all passengers between the line's Bearing and Mo Chit terminus stations. Lines in some cases stretched out of stations, down stairs and into the street.
1576344.jpg

Lines at some BTS stations stretched out into the street. (Photo by Pattarapong Chatpattarasill)

Mr Anat said the switch failure delayed each train arrival from the normal 2-3 minutes to 5-6 minutes and, in essence, broke the single Sukhumvit Line into two segments: Bearing to Siam, and Siam to Mo Chit, forcing all passengers to switch trains at the busy interchange with the Silom Line.

The Silom Line's operation was unaffected by the equipment failure, but suffered the same lines and congestion. In fact, the BTS meltdown had a pronounced knock-on effect on all of Bangkok's transport systems.

The Mass Rail Transit Authority subway system also experienced heavier than normal congestion and ride-sharing service Uber increased rates by 40% at one point to cash in on the increased demand. Social media users also complained that motorbike taxi drivers were stranded train passengers, in one case charging 380 baht for a ride between Siam to Victory Monument.

Backups on the BTS Skytrain spilled over to the Mass Rapid Transit Authority subway system, creating long lines at the stations like Chatuchak MRT. (Photo by Pattarapong Chatpattarasill)

Ironically, Uber Technologies on Wednesday announced the launch of a new motorcycle taxi-hailing service, UberMoto.

Reports on Twitter indicated that Bangkok's many foreign commuters also complained that BTS employees only made status updates in Thai, leaving tourists and expats in the dark on the troubles and required transfers. BTS itself has posted only two updates to its Twitter feed since 7am.

Mr Anat apologised for inconveniencing passengers and said refunds on fares were offered to passengers inside stations unable to wait. However, no other compensation was planned.

8E9436FA5F124366AE9E96BE2C873341.jpg

5C2431A26D174394AB7DF3ED56E8AF34.jpg

Last edited:

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
its been a long time since i log in here. can only see so many fightings among the users. wah.. better stay clear in case i am being splashed on accidentally.

i'm going to pattaya next week. 1st time taking the airasia route that lands on u-taopao strip. bad thing is, only night flight available. heard from people that there are no taxis at the u-taopao airport?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On airlines topic...
Realized now lion air also flies Sin bkk route.....any feedback?

Before LCCs....last time I always go for cheapo airlines like Birman and Air India hehe....many interesting stories / fond memories taking those flights

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
its been a long time since i log in here. can only see so many fightings among the users. wah.. better stay clear in case i am being splashed on accidentally.

i'm going to pattaya next week. 1st time taking the airasia route that lands on u-taopao strip. bad thing is, only night flight available. heard from people that there are no taxis at the u-taopao airport?

I am quite sure can pre-arrange with drivers in Pattaya there's no lack of it for sure.

On airlines topic...
Realized now lion air also flies Sin bkk route.....any feedback?

Before LCCs....last time I always go for cheapo airlines like Birman and Air India hehe....many interesting stories / fond memories taking those flights

No idea of Lion SIN-BKK. Only took Lion between Jkt and Sin occasionally and when necessary.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No idea of Lion SIN-BKK. Only took Lion between Jkt and Sin occasionally
..now lion air also flies Sin bkk route.....any feedback?
Before LCCs....last time I always go for cheapo airlines like Birman and Air India hehe....fond memories
Did new Thai Lion Air Sin/Bkk last Nov. Go promos, good alternative to LCCs. Not bad 2 daily departures 1220 & 2030 from T3.
Single aisle aircraft, no frills -gets you there. Prices beat AA, Jetstar, Tiger hands down (inaugural pricing, market share etc)

http://www.lionairthai.com/en

On Narong's varied airlines experience, then you could do euro airlines like SAS, Finnair stopover in Bkk (traffic load to Europe from LOS)

...going to pattaya next week. 1st time taking the airasia route that lands on u-taopao strip. bad thing is, only night flight available. heard from people that there are no taxis at the u-taopao airport?
Read can pre-book transfer when doing AA booking. Some public commute to Central on Beach Rd. Positive you won't be stranded in Sattahip. Who doesn't end up in Patts?:p

Last edited:

chonburi

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those taking Airasia flight to Pattaya, (SIN-U-TAPAO), you can pre-book the U-TAPAO to Pattaya City transfer online during time of booking. Just select Pattaya Downtown during booking. You can also buy a ticket at tour booth on the right when you exit the customs/immigration at U-Tapao. It is THB 250 PAX.

Or call the contact in the name card. The mini bus (13 seater) will travel along Jomtien Second Road, Thappraya Road, Pattaya South, Pattaya Second Road and terminate at Central Festival. If you hotel is near these places, let the driver know and he will drop you along these roads. Else, just take a taxi (motorsai or song taew) to the hotel when you arrived at Central Festival.

For those taking Airasia from Pattaya to SG, the pickup point is at Central Festival Shopping Mall. It's just beside Soi 8 Police Station. Watch out for the following sign, or just tell the taxi "Soi 8 Police Station"

LionAir is very good. New planes, good service, not too packed and competitive pricing. The only and biggest downside is Don Muang Airport itself. Even with the new terminal, it is still very very crowded as Don Muang still carry the main bulk of domestic flights. Always arrived at the airport early.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

Khun Chon, good and useful tips on U-Tapao commute and ThaiLion Air. :biggrin:
Pity you got assed to negative territory:(

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
January exports post biggest drop since 2011

Exports contracted more than expected in January, showing the trade-dependent economy is still struggling in the face of sluggish global demand and China's slowdown.

Exports, equal to more than 60% of economic output, tumbled 8.91% in January from a year earlier, the Commerce Ministry said on Thursday. A Reuters poll projected a drop of 7.1%.

The decline was the 13th straight month and the biggest for any month since November 2011, when severe flooding closed thousands of factories.

"It's clear that the global economy is worse than expected and this will have an impact on Thailand's economic recovery," said Charnon Boonnuch, senior economist at Tisco Securities.

Exports may shrink for the fourth year running in 2016 and the Bank of Thailand (BoT) will need to cut interest rates at its March 23 meeting, he added. But Tim Leelahaphan, an economist at Maybank Kim Eng, said domestic demand was improving so Thailand had no rush to act.

"If we rush for a rate cut, we may waste our bullet. The two rate cuts last year were to help support exports but we haven't seen them improving," he said.

The BoT has left its benchmark rate unchanged at 1.50% since April 2014 following two surprise cuts. The rate reached a record low of 1.25% during the global financial crisis.

In 2015, shipments fell 5.78%, the biggest annual pace of decline in six years. Southeast Asia's second-largest economy expanded by 2.8% last year, up from 0.8% in 2014, but its recovery remains fragile.

In December, the central bank predicted 2016 economic growth of 3.5%, with flat exports. It will offer new projections on March 31.
"It's just one month of bad exports and we are sticking to our target of 5% (export growth) this year," Deputy Commerce Minister Suvit Maesincee told a briefing.

In January, exports to China, Thailand's second biggest market after the United States, dropped 6.1% from a year earlier, while those to Europe declined 2.4%. Shipments to the United States dropped 8.5% last month and exports to Japan tumbled 10.1%.
Imports slipped 12.37% in January on the year, led by a 41% fall in fuel and a 15% drop in raw materials. Many imported items are parts to be assembled into finished goods and shipped out.

1579220.jpg

Last edited:

chonburi

Alfrescian
Loyal

U-Tapao International Airport is located in Sattahip district of Chonburi Province. It is a military air base built during the Vietnam War. Technically speaking, the area is in Rayong province but the main road (Kor Mor 10 or K.M.10) leading to the airport is from Sattahip. So it's located on the borders of Chonburi and Rayong provinces.

This is a very small airport. One end to the other end of departure hall is probably less than a hundred metres.

X-Ray scans upon entering the departure hall.

Airasia Counter

Airasia and other airline check in counter

Souvenir shop

chonburi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Part 2 of U-Tapao airport as can only post 2000 words per post.

Information Counter

After the immigration, this is what you get. There are only 2 "gates". Actually, it's just one big hall. Wait for the flight announcement for your flights.

This place is basically run by the Navy people, even though it's a military air base. There is only a small cafeteria with limited choice of food in the whole airport. There is a duty free shop at the departure gate after the immigration. The main passengers in this airport are the Russians, so the duty free shop sell lots of Sang Som whisky (both 35 cl and 70 cl bottles) to Russians. As usual, Russians can finish the 35 cl Sang Som even before boarding.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Another monk blessed with a vintage car, when minions scrap through their motorsai financing :rolleyes:

Phra Kru Palad Sitthiwat, better known as Luang Phi Namfon, shows to reporters his classic Panther sports car and a tax receipt. The abbot of Wat Pailom in Nakhon Pathom is crying foul over a move by the Department of Special Investigation to inspect his 1970s car, accusing the agency of trying to cast him in a negative light.PHOTO BY TAWATCHAI KEMGUMNERD. Bangkok Post 27.2.16

A7EB608DF6FC4D59BA2AA5693D84210E.jpg