• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yet to try Chiangmai laksa. What is called in phase thai?
Did you mean curry style flavour noodles with either chicken or beef, and trimmings of onion/kiam chye (on the side)? If so, it's my soft spot from north khao soi. Besides khao niao ma muang and khuntoke.

Check out this popular khao soi joint in CNX, hordes of locals and another opposite too nearby -and recipe

http://sarahmeyerwalsh.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/a-chiang-mai-favorite-khao-soi/

kao-soi.jpg

Next year I will quit my job in Singapore. Relocate to Chiangmai. Rent out my 4 room HDB flat and with my relatives in Chiangmai. I hope it will work out for me.
Good to hear you making the jump, do update us here

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harlow everyone.....

Had planned a trip to Chiang Mai this coming may for 5 days 4 nights.....

Appreciate if anyone can help with suggestions of hotels (no nid 5 star).... and pretty accessible....

The last trip was 2007 and I was totally clueless cos I went with my friends and they drove me all over the places.... and I realised the public transport are not like in Bangkok......

Most probably will be travelling alone to explore chiang mai afterwhich will head back to Bangkok for 3 days.

Appreciate for all advices and suggestions....

Thank you nah.....

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi bro Joetys. Next year I will quit my job in Singapore. Relocate to Chiangmai. Rent out my 4 room HDB flat and with my relatives in Chiangmai. I hope it will work out for me. Sick of Stinkiepore.

Advice you to come more often and find recce the place first and find out if there is anything you can do here. Please be reminded for Singaporeans each visit is limited to 30 days and a total of 90 days per year so if possible get a visa (no idea under what category) and multiple entry. Come and explore first before jumping in.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chiang Mai this coming may for 5 days 4 nights.....
Appreciate if anyone can help with suggestions of hotels (no nid 5 star).... and pretty accessible....
Most probably will be travelling alone to explore chiang mai afterwhich will head back to Bangkok for 3 days.
Depends on 2 criteria:
(1) Your confort level (and budget)
(2) Your preference to area -old city, Niman (trendy, with cafes and Chiangmai Uni) or resorts (Mae Rim etc)

If you khun diao (alone), best in Niman or old city. Transport is either by songtaew, tuk2 or motorcycle rental.

If you zero in on Niman area, on major resellers like Agoda or Booking.com -checkout pics, prices and reviews (TripAdvisor)

http://www.booking.com/landmark/th/nimman-haeminda.en.html

My favourite was this boutiquish "7 Senses" (5 mins walk to Kad Suan Kaew), posted here last summer. Email lady boss khun Munee for booking (bypass resellers, as you can pay upon check-in)

http://www.sevensensesguesthouse.com/

sevensenses.jpg

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi YinYang,

Thanks so much for suggestions... do keep them coming .... hee hee....

Tentatively I will be travelling alone... my style of travel I booked and I tell my friends and see anyone wanna join me..... I am ok to travel alone..... more of ME time and need not take care of others.

Comfort level..... cleanliness is the most impt and budget? I reali dunno... maybe abt $100SGD? I dun need a fancy hotel or posh ar. In bangkok I had stayed at this place near to MBK for $1000THB for years ( I mean all my trips since 2004 till 2009)... it's very spacious and most impt of all clean and also near to so many shopping area and eateries. And after which I changed to another hotel which is abt $2000bhat per night cos near to my favourite massage parlour Healthland.

7 senses looks good ar.... and will drop them an email soon.

And canot wait to re-visit this place called Love @ 1st Bite in Chiang Mai and also there was this small bakery that sells brownie.... lychee brownie... and many other types of brownie......

"If you khun diao (alone), best in Niman or old city. Transport is either by songtaew, tuk2 or motorcycle rental" ---- will we get ripped off easliy by the tuktuk like in bkk? Any form of taxi like in bkk? A friend might wanna follow but he insist we rent a car and drive but I am not the sort who like driving......

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Comfort level..... cleanliness is the most impt and budget? I reali dunno... maybe abt $100SGD? I..changed to another hotel which is abt $2000bhat per night cos near to my favourite massage parlour Healthland.
Any form of taxi like in bkk? A friend might wanna follow but he insist we rent a car and drive but I am not the sort who like driving......
For S$100 (thb2.3-2.4k), you'll be comfortable -and spoit for choices with free wifi +abf. May is after high season, so rates go down (after ridiculous Dec-Feb period).

Already explained, the transport mode is songtaews -"jump on" costs thb20-30 with everybody else, if trip charter thb100-200. Tuk2 taxis (tb80-150), no meter. Ask first before boarding ("tao arai?"). Still reasonable unlike the expensive mafia rates in touristy Phuket.

Only regular taxi ala Bkk is from airport at flat thb120-150 (arrivals counters) to anywhere in city. Most popular is to rent a motorcycle. Car rental approx thb900-1200 for basic Altis or Civic per 24hrs period.

Enjoy northern Lanna culture. CNX people are gentle, and traffic is noticeably without the hooting horns unlike Phuket or Bkk

Last edited:

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Yin Yang... thanks so much again for the info.. and of course if I can get cheaper accomodation there will be better ar..... hee hee....

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Advice you to come more often and find recce the place first and find out if there is anything you can do here. Please be reminded for Singaporeans each visit is limited to 30 days and a total of 90 days per year so if possible get a visa (no idea under what category) and multiple entry. Come and explore first before jumping in.
Thank you bro.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

According to the information at http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-...es-which-have-exemption-of-visa-requirements-
Sporeans can stay in LOS for 90 days.

Did I misunderstand?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Discovered a nice noodle shop today in Ramkhamhaeng Road around soi 130.

Love the kampong setup food is nice too. Had beef noodles this lunch.

[video=youtube;qBKYYBB8qw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBKYYBB8qw8[/video]

donkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok..its about time... coming over to krupthep for a visit possibly the 3rd weekend of the month.. so miss the place.. :smile:
Joe in bkk this month? Chon..do u need anything from sg? which street? my thai boss might be driving me to pattaya...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok..its about time... coming over to krupthep for a visit possibly the 3rd weekend of the month.. so miss the place.. :smile:
Joe in bkk this month? Chon..do u need anything from sg? which street? my thai boss might be driving me to pattaya...

PM me when the time gets closer as I'm not sure of my schedule yet. A big welcome to you buddy.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
90m days per year yes. But when one comes in, the immigration is empowered to stamp a maximum of 30days for Singaporeans. If need to stay longer could go immigration to extend. Believe me immigration is not a nice place to be. Full of strange and dirty people.

Thank you bro Joetys. I will probably get a student visa to study thai while waiting to reach 50 years to apply for a retirement visa.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
90m days per year yes. But when one comes in, the immigration is empowered to stamp a maximum of 30days for Singaporeans. If need to stay longer could go immigration to extend. Believe me immigration is not a nice place to be. Full of strange and dirty people.

I know what you mean. I picked up my new passport last year & saw plenty of strange people at the ICA Building :wink:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Any brother can advise should I go slow or fast with a Thai girl? I got lucky and found one who is visiting her family here. Thai Chinese :biggrin:

Normally for PRC girls, by 2nd or 3rd date, they will be on the bed already.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Any brother can advise should I go slow or fast with a Thai girl? I got lucky and found one who is visiting her family here. Thai Chinese :biggrin:

Normally for PRC girls, by 2nd or 3rd date, they will be on the bed already.

you have not castrate yourself yet?