• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Khao Ji Tai-Yai style (they put a sweet sauce on top)
51EEAB02-06E4-44AA-91D6-605195983843-2588-000004172183BA19.jpg

Khao Tam Nga (Sticky rice pounded with sesame)
5E2F4114-8059-40A4-B3C7-4208DF8B97F2-2588-0000041711A87ECF.jpg

In some of the stalls, you eat sitting on the floor. You certainly don't see this often in Bangkok. Anybody seen this in other parts of Thailand?
3C3E1D40-76F1-499E-A48D-E6DDC7E9A076-2588-00000419C2448BA7.jpg

yo bro very interesting food posts. I love Khao Ji but have never try this before would love to.

This sticky rice with sesame I recently tried in Pai at first doesn't look good cos its like having a far brown or red liver kind of colour. But when I forced myself to try cos it's like everyone's eating it, ya it's taste not bad at all.

Dining on the floor/pavement/walkway? Na never seen it before. Bro sometimes I pride myself for traveling to many baanook places in Thailand but compared to you, you're certainly "the man". Cheers bro and have a safe trip.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
uncle joe type of food too atas for my wallet.

sleaguepunter, in Singapore and many Asian vities when we think of French and Italian the $$$ sign will flash. Its like a good meal I posted above with a nice bottle of wine will set you back $500-$700 for two. In Thailand or rather in Bangkok likewise, all those restaurants along Sukhumvit Road, Sathorn Road and Silom Road mostly are in this price range. However if you know where to look for outsiede these areas you could have it for less than half the amount and if you don't order a bottle of wine the cost is less than $100 for two, genuine Italian.

Last night's meal consists of: 2 soups, 1 sausage platter, 1 foie gras (two pieces that we shared), a plate of black ink seafood spaghetti, a big slab of honey roasted pork rib all these would have costs only 1,965 baht ($79.50) before ++ (the wine is 3000baht). Not expensive right?

null-2308.jpg

Even very good Japanese food here is very inexpensive I mean real Japanese food where Japanese goes to, not those Fuji, Oishi, ZEN rubbish.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
wow bro joetys,yr breakfast include cordon blue?? wow.....thats amazing!

It was a company outing with 80 over staff. Just an overnight trip. I don't know if you know about Thais, they do start drinking from the moment they wake up even before breakfast especially when they having holidays. Cordon Bleu is only for the 4 of us management. From the time we met in my house to go together on Friday morning, until we arrived at my house yesterday afternoon, we finished 5 bottles (700cc bottles). ke ke ke ke ke naughty ya?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Five (5) 700 cc or ml bottles of cognac in 3 days, amongst 4 individuals.

You folks have high tolerance for alcohol.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Five (5) 700 cc or ml bottles of cognac in 3 days, amongst 4 individuals.

You folks has high tolerance for alcohol.

Allow me to correct, Friday morning 8am start, Saturday afternoon 5pm ends, that's like 33hrs. Cordon Bleu is a nice drink.

Add-on :- we do this very rarely, really rare

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
that is on average, about 0.9 litre of cognac per person for 2 days.

Yes like I'd said we do this rarely. We had lots of fun and jokes together so the drink continued and continued. If alone sure cannot make it la. Its the good company, common interest, buddy buddy, so we're having lots of fun.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes like I'd said we do this rarely. We had lots of fun and jokes together so the drink continued and continued. If alone sure cannot make it la. Its the good company, common interest, buddy buddy, so we're having lots of fun.

I agree, because it is the camaradiere, ambiance and company which make it enjoyable, otherwise one shot is more than enough when drinking alone.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Having kway tiao for lunch today here

null-875.jpg

Wife's having Yen Dao Fu with sen lek
null-1939.jpg

Me having Tom Yam sen mee (bee hoon) see the Ching Chao behind?
null-2181.jpg

With loog chin moo (pork balls BBQ)
null-1463.jpg

Thais drink assam (tamarin) water Assam in Thai is makham. This is a healthy drink like out Liang-Teh
null-781.jpg

Weather is very hot this afternoon

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toronto, with its record high of ten (10) Celsius for Jan 12, 2013, is almost as balmy as your location in LOS.
All the snow melted.
The ski resorts are unable to make artificial snow in such warm weather.
Another balmy winter day on Sunday, forecasted high of close to 9 C, but will return to winter temperature and snow in the next several days.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Toronto, with its record high of ten (10) Celsius for Jan 12, 2013, is almost as balmy as your location in LOS.
All the snow melted.
The ski resorts are unable to make artificial snow in such warm weather.
Another balmy winter day on Sunday, forecasted high of close to 9 C, but will return to winter temperature and snow in the next several days.

For us here its still bloody cold where you are.

Anyway lots pretty hot now and no where to go so now both start our 3 hrs massage by the time we finish its be 5 plus outside will be cooler by then.

Fusoh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It was a company outing with 80 over staff. Just an overnight trip. I don't know if you know about Thais, they do start drinking from the moment they wake up even before breakfast especially when they having holidays. Cordon Bleu is only for the 4 of us management. From the time we met in my house to go together on Friday morning, until we arrived at my house yesterday afternoon, we finished 5 bottles (700cc bottles). ke ke ke ke ke naughty ya?
ya i work with a group of thai chef in brunei,use to buy them whisky every week or every general meeting,they wont sleep if they dont finish the bottle,if really too much,morning continue,those cannot make it to work will get warning letter,some spent most of their salary on drinking every nite,really siao! i bet u must be a damn good drinker like bro chonburi,i am far away from yr standard.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
ya i work with a group of thai chef in brunei,use to buy them whisky every week or every general meeting,they wont sleep if they dont finish the bottle,if really too much,morning continue,those cannot make it to work will get warning letter,some spent most of their salary on drinking every nite,really siao! i bet u must be a damn good drinker like bro chonburi,i am far away from yr standard.

I only can say when chon and I together we tend to drink quite a bit. Ya Thais love to have a party no matter what social status.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. your next visit drink at my shop ok? all permits more or less settle liaoz.

at shop now, supervising the technicans mounting the two 42 inch led tv. this one is quite tough as i requested the 2 tvs to be aligned sight by side and tilted downwards at the same angle. think they also pong chek liaoz.

20130113_162308.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hehehe. your next visit drink at my shop ok? all permits more or less settle liaoz.

at shop now, supervising the technicans mounting the two 42 inch led tv. this one is quite tough as i requested the 2 tvs to be aligned sight by side and tilted downwards at the same angle. think they also pong chek liaoz.

20130113_162308.jpg

Sure sure drink there la got discount I sure to la very cheapskate la me.

Bro you want both aligned perfectly and tilted perfectly must have both mounted on a metal frame first then you mount the frame in your wall.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. actually i still got 1 set of no. 4. faded until cannot faded liaoz. even my lcp rank also become super faded. not sure if i brought it along with me when i runroad. will check. :smile:

joetys, you come here, i dont give discount liaoz. on the house, swee boh?

actually me and electrcian now at another office, 150 meters away from my shop, to mount a 32 inch tv. :(

kns, overwork and underpay.

20130113_174513.jpg

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro sometimes I pride myself for traveling to many baanook places in Thailand but compared to you, you're certainly "the man". Cheers bro and have a safe trip.

I enjoy your posts on the good life in BKK - makes me miss creature comforts - too banok for too long also sometimes hard to stomach. Here are some scenes of banok living.

For example, banok toilet. There is no flush - you scoop water from bucket.
CA6C8C48-AD1C-4EBF-A26D-EB79B74B4A94-2588-0000042E70BA272D.jpg

Banok living room. Common to wheel your motosai into living room to deter thieves. Thai like to use woven mats on floor and also toilet paper rolls for cleanup tasks.
5A9AE416-3595-40C6-9E03-F0E425E93603-2588-0000042EA39DEA88.jpg

Kitchen. Nobody drinks water from tap as it is usually well water with a mechanical pump. They buy these RO water bottles for cooking - the ones with a tap cost a little more.
Surprisingly much cheaper in Mae Sai than in BKK. 17B for a huge jug.
A48AEB6E-744F-4F8E-A446-0D9C4348F51E-2588-0000042EE3091CB2.jpg

Banok trash cans. They have a distinct shape.
4A4C3981-BC94-4FF8-9045-97495EC75C46-2588-000004334A891788.jpg

Banok loudspeaker. Most moo bans have them. The pooyai ban (village headman) makes announcements from them a couple of times a week, usually in the evening. If you're unlucky, he also shares his iPod music collection with you.
A3D171F8-7848-44F8-99C0-7A5629DD0CBF-2588-0000043350B71452.jpg

Banok people are ingenious. They rig up a line of plastic and used CDs to drive away insects from their plants
B1C154AD-A8F9-4D2D-8D9E-1E2653B0BED8-2588-00000431BE6ED797.jpg

Weekend they have cock fights or "kai chon". A lot of farmers raise their fighters like this.
EE1A4E8C-03A1-4C1A-A5D5-3F4EEA6FFCE8-2588-00000431D92F25AA.jpg

One of my lasting memories when first here years ago were the street lights. They use a simple fluorescent blub.
778C7EB3-45D2-4219-905F-E6AB15597B9B-2588-000004346FB26818.jpg