• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. if got goverment electricity, means not baan nork. for hard core baan nork, no goverment electricity. :smile:

yes, water from baan nork is best. no chemical treatment, but still need ro and mechanical filtration if use for drinking and cooking.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. today mount 2 x 42 inch tv at new shop and 1x 32 inch at new office branch. guess tomorrow what?

20130113_115010.jpg

1x 32inch tv at my old office. paiseh to continue cos' electrican pong chek liaoz. if you see the pic,i made a mistake of mounting the tv behind my seat. like that how to watch tv? so buy another one and put in front lah. also, bought 2 old style wooden chairs. this one very traditional.
20130113_114943.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kns, i also don't kena what kong tao and bought so many tv? cos' maximum time i spent at any of my offices is 5-6hrs per week, sometime per month. :p

abuse of power. :smile:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
kns, i also don't kena what kong tao and bought so many tv? cos' maximum time i spent at any of my offices is 5-6hrs per week, sometime per month. :p

abuse of power. :smile:

Your office looks nice. But you put so many TVs here and there show what? Why don't you use them to show a commercial for your company? I see some offices do that - a mix between an infinite loop of powerpoints and video - get some of your satisfied customers to provide video testimonials etc.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand ? Feasible?

At a roadside stall near home for breakfast now. Having chicken rice this morning. Thais have rice and sticky rice for breakfast please don't be surprised.

null-598.jpg

This stall is very popular because the chicken rice taste really nice, even to a Singaporean like me but its really rare. Stall is located at the side if a Soi (small road) leading into residential areas and just 50m from the main road Ram Intra Road. This type of location is known as Pak Soi where its Cliae to main roads. Location like this has advantage as all residents living inside had to stop here to take the main transport to anywhere. They come out to pak soi either by someone in the family driving them or more commonly motorcycle taxi. Pak soon is also where the motorcycle taxi congregate and this is another group of customers.

null-1695.jpg

This stall opens at 5am and before 10am each day they would have sold 55 chickens an close shop. Below is a scene o a typical morning at this shop with people going to work and students going to school.

[video=youtube;pqEBO-ijocE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEBO-ijocE[/video]

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
hehehe. your next visit drink at my shop ok? all permits more or less settle liaoz.

at shop now, supervising the technicans mounting the two 42 inch led tv. this one is quite tough as i requested the 2 tvs to be aligned sight by side and tilted downwards at the same angle. think they also pong chek liaoz.

Bro chonbuifc

The contractor mounting is NSman? His camo pants reminds me of the old SAF pants before the current pixellated green pattern. :-)

Last edited:

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

At a roadside stall near home for breakfast now. Having chicken rice this morning. Thais have rice and sticky rice for breakfast please don't be surprised.

This stall opens at 5am and before 10am each day they would have sold 55 chickens an close shop. Below is a scene o a typical morning at this shop with people going to work and students going to school.

Bro joetys

How much does a portion of chicken rice like that cost?

Last edited:

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
hehehe. today mount 2 x 42 inch tv at new shop and 1x 32 inch at new office branch. guess tomorrow what?

Bro chon

The chairs remind me of Chinese dramas where master/mistress of the house greet their guests over oolong or tie quan yin in traditional porcelain tea cups :-)

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. on the way to old office to interview a computer/it staff. kns, i also don't know what to ask during interview cos' me is 'computer know me, i don't know computer'. we need one computer guy cos' getting more expensive to engage a computer company to service our pcs, network and printers. so might as well hire a full time one.

sinkiesnotdumb

Alfrescian
Loyal
hehehe. on the way to old office to interview a computer/it staff. kns, i also don't know what to ask during interview cos' me is 'computer know me, i don't know computer'. we need one computer guy cos' getting more expensive to engage a computer company to service our pcs, network and printers. so might as well hire a full time one.

I want to leave Singapore, can you employ me?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro chon

The chairs remind me of Chinese dramas where master/mistress of the house greet their guests over oolong or tie quan yin in traditional porcelain tea cups :-)

hehehe. how you know?!?! a very exclusive teapot set is on the way from sg in month end. and also very exclusive oo long tea leaves. me dont know how to appreciate lah, cheap and expensive tea or taste the same to me.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

joetys, the khao man gai can fight with your home cook one? think your chili sauce alone win liaoz.

sinkiesnotdumb

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, serious? i can only afford to pay according to local wages.

According to someone in another post can survive with less than S$1000. Actually I am working now but also colleciting rent from my Jurong West 4-room flat about $2,500. So if you can find me something to do I really don't mind to work for you for free to pass time. This country is fucked and I better leave soon before I get mad. Why don't I jagah your new place for you and I can sleep there too so you no need to pay me?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Bro joetys

How much does a portion of chicken rice like that cost?

35 baht for rice + meat together ; I like to separate rice and meat and order more meat so 50 baht.

joetys, the khao man gai can fight with your home cook one? think your chili sauce alone win liaoz.

Seriously this guy's rice is really not bad and the chicken is also good. Problem I face is they eat with their traditional sauce which I am not used to. So I bring my own chili and dark thick soya sauce with sesame oil.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro chon

The questions to ask depends on what job he want to do:

Typical small company IT guy you need a jack of all trades, i.e.

1. Desktop/PC/end-user support
a) Can troubleshoot routine PC/printer/LAN connectivity issues
- ask for his desktop software certs or experience - Microsoft certs, Windows 7, XP, Vista desktop experience (depends on what your office uses)
- can ask him to look at your current office PCs/desktop environment and give recommendations as a "practical test".

b) Knows basic networking
- ask for networking - either CISCO certificates or experience
- how to set up/trouble-shoot/maintain wireless/router, hub, apply for relevant ISP connectivity

c) Knows basic Microsoft Office - to help your admin staff with MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint or Access (usually Word/Excel/Powerpoint is required)
- ask for any cert in Microsoft Office apps
- ask if he knows where to search for solutions if users give him problem he dunno how to solve

d) Knows basic personal anti-virus/firewall installation, maintenance

e) Know how to manage simple office intranet/shared folder (for common working documents to be shared within office)

e) Know how to maintain your email server (if in-house) or if you subscribe for those USD 10-20 a year domain plus free webhosting/email services

f) Know how to backup office server/shared folder regularly for archival

Other skills depends on what's the focus.

Hope this helps :-)

Last edited:

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

35 baht for rice + meat together ; I like to separate rice and meat and order more meat so 50 baht.

Seriously this guy's rice is really not bad and the chicken is also good. Problem I face is they eat with their traditional sauce which I am not used to. So I bring my own chili and dark thick soya sauce with sesame oil.

Bro joetys

$2 looks value-for-money :-)

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
hehehe. how you know?!?! a very exclusive teapot set is on the way from sg in month end. and also very exclusive oo long tea leaves. me dont know how to appreciate lah, cheap and expensive tea or taste the same to me.

Bro chonburifc

I was just guessing... haha.. really looks like those chinese/taiwanese/hong kong period drama type table/chairs :-) the tea pot/cups just pops into my mind looking at your pic ... kekee...

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i remember paying 20 baht at saiyoke camp for chicken rice in 1997 but the portion much smaller. but it very nice, much better than spore. i ate it almost everyday while in camp. but must early as the stall owner cater mainly to the thai soldiers and spore perm staff so will sold out by 11am. most training troops (spore battlion troops) will buy from the main canteen while ignoring this stall that is outside the main canteen.