• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Michelin street food 72 years old aunty, in the news. Interesting legacy and mainstay menu (not cheap by LOS standards though, but assured of prime ingredients?). Dried congee? If any of you blokes go try this, pls write home about it.

29ae4dbd996f4c9e129c300a3ef2dd05.jpeg

Supinya Junsuta, who has won a Michelin star for her roadside restaurant, cooks her famous crabmeat omelette yesterday. Her shop is Thailand’s only street-food eatery to have won Michelin recognition.

Restaurant prepares to welcome PM after winning Michelin

national December 08, 2017 01:00

By CHANYUT PAWAKANG
THE NATION

THE ONLY Thai street-food eatery to have won a Michelin Star, Jay Fai, will soon have an opportunity to cook up some dishes for Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

“The Michelin Guide team will arrange the occasion,” Jay Fai owner and chef Supinya Junsuta said yesterday, one day after she picked up the Michelin-star certification.

aba096d6f4fa83d20a81288892483f8d.jpeg

Supinya Junsuta, who has won a Michelin star for her roadside restaurant, cooks her famous |crabmeat omelette |yesterday. Her shop is Thailand’s only street-food eatery to have won Michelin recognition.

She plans to serve Prayut her famous dishes such as a crabmeat omelette and dried congee. “I’ve heard the prime minister loves Thai food,” Supinya said.

The 72-year-old woman said that if she got the opportunity to speak to Prayut she would tell him to take good care of fishermen and to ensure police are not too strict with people who are trying to earn a living.

“It’s difficult for sellers to not raise their prices, if their cost increases,” Supinya said.

She said that several high-profile figures were already among her customers, including HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

“I was working in front of my stove one day and suddenly the Princess turned up. I cooked stir-fried noodles for her,” Supinya said. Her simple restaurant serves delicious food although the price tags are way more expensive than normal street food.

A crabmeat-omelette dish, for example, starts at Bt800 and the most expensive item, abalone noodles in gravy, is Bt20,000. “I have set reasonable prices. My ingredients are premium quality and very fresh,” Supinya said.

9f6eb865c54efbe3bca5a28a1dccae3c.jpeg

Her restaurant is known as “Jay Fai” because Supinya has a noticeable mole on her neck. Fai means mole in Thai.

Supinya said she inherited the food shop from her parents, who started serving stir-fried noodles more than seven decades ago.

“I started helping my parents following the closure of the factory I worked for,” she said.

After working for some time at the restaurant, she started diversifying the menu by creating new dishes.

Supinya said she believed that aside from quality ingredients, charcoal-based cooking is the key to her successful business.

There is a constant flow of customers despite the restaurant’s relatively high prices, compared with other street-food eateries.

A 41-year-old customer at Jay Fai yesterday said he started frequenting the restaurant 25 years ago. “I was just a school student when I heard this place served really yummy food,” he said.

He believed most people would forget the relatively high price after tasting the food. “I can tell you that the taste is exactly the same every time, so whenever you come back, you are not disappointed,” he said.

He believed the prices set by Supinya were reasonable because the ingredients were of such high quality. Phirada Cheepsattayakorn, 29, said when she first went to Jay Fai, she found the prices shockingly high. “But after the food arrived, I thought it was money well-spent,” she said.

She said she used to visit with her boyfriend and now that it has won a Michelin star, she hoped to soon take her parents too.

Is there a typo here?
20k for a bowl of noodles? That’s sgd 800 bucks!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is there a typo here?
20k for a bowl of noodles? That’s sgd 800 bucks!
Spotted the discrepancy from the earlier Michelin piece which said abalone noodles priced up to bht10,000. Still, too blxxdy expensive for the likes of us here, never mind khun Thais -notwithstanding her boast of hiso clientele:oops:. I'd just settle for standard menu

Jay Fai, located in the Samranrat area, is a street-food eatery that can accommodate about 50 people. Despite its humble ambience, Jay Fai is known for premium local seafood dishes, such as crabmeat omelette priced from Bt800 to Bt2,000, and abalone noodle in gravy, which is priced up to Bt10,000.

“I still cook with a charcoal oven and carefully select only the best local ingredients,” says 72-year-old owner, Supinya Junsuta, known as Jay Fai. “Although my eatery always welcomes high-profile figures and international chefs, I didn’t expect to get a Michelin star. It’s beyond my expectations to get one star and it’s my greatest honour.”

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spotted the discrepancy from the earlier Michelin piece which said abalone noodles priced up to bht10,000. Still, too blxxdy expensive for the likes of us here, never mind khun Thais -notwithstanding her boast of hiso clientele:oops:. I'd just settle for standard menu

Jay Fai, located in the Samranrat area, is a street-food eatery that can accommodate about 50 people. Despite its humble ambience, Jay Fai is known for premium local seafood dishes, such as crabmeat omelette priced from Bt800 to Bt2,000, and abalone noodle in gravy, which is priced up to Bt10,000.

“I still cook with a charcoal oven and carefully select only the best local ingredients,” says 72-year-old owner, Supinya Junsuta, known as Jay Fai. “Although my eatery always welcomes high-profile figures and international chefs, I didn’t expect to get a Michelin star. It’s beyond my expectations to get one star and it’s my greatest honour.”
Is that Michelin Pa driving a Lexus and wearing a Richard Mille?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am thinking of getting a Focus to drive around when I'm in Pattaya, and rent it out when I am not around.

I have been monitoring my Russian neighbour. He has a fleet of eco cars, mostly Nissan Almera and Mitsubishi Mirage. The non-eco ones are Ford Fiesta. I am surprised that the big farangs are pretty ok with eco cars.

What would be a good car to buy for renting out to farangs ?
2014-Ford-Focus_3672.png

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am thinking of getting a Focus to drive around when I'm in Pattaya, and rent it out when I am not around.

I have been monitoring my Russian neighbour. He has a fleet of eco cars, mostly Nissan Almera and Mitsubishi Mirage. The non-eco ones are Ford Fiesta. I am surprised that the big farangs are pretty ok with eco cars.

What would be a good car to buy for renting out to farangs ?
2014-Ford-Focus_3672.png
Not paiseh to say can forget about the idea unless you are a Russkie with mob connections and lots of money to throw down the drain.
Remember. Ang mohs in Pattaya are cheap Charlies, the good and well off Ang Moh won’t come to pattaya.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Darn, the baht has now broached 24 mark (to Sgd). Has to do with Usd development, positive trade nos. (and capital inflows?). Predictions for 2018?

BAY: Baht to continue rise on GDP in 2018
c1_1374379_171208070705_620x413.jpg

The baht is tipped to continue its gradual appreciation next year, driven by improved economic growth prospects among Asian economies and the normalisation of the US Federal Reserve's monetary policy, says the Bank of Ayudhya (BAY).

Since Asean economies have positive growth prospects for 2018, this will attract international trade, foreign direct investment and inbound tourism, causing greater foreign capital inflows into the region and inducing appreciation in regional currencies, said Tak Bunnag, BAY's head of global markets group.

"There is a possibility the baht could peak at 31.75 against the greenback, in line with Asian economic growth and export growth led by China. The improving economic growth momentum would also benefit Asean economies, especially Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and Thailand," he said.

For next year's first quarter, the local currency's value is expected to range within 32.25 to 33.75 baht against the greenback, strengthening to between 32.25 and 33.50 in the second quarter.

The baht is expected to continue appreciating to 32-33.50 per dollar in the third quarter, while the appreciating trend is projected at 31.75-33.25 baht in the last quarter.

Mr Tak said geopolitical developments and the Fed's monetary policy stance under the new Fed governor are also key factors depressing the baht's value next year. Financial markets will monitor Fed governor Jerome Powell's monetary policy decisions as he begins his term next month, he said.

Markets have predicted that the Fed will increase interest rates twice in the second half of next year, a rise from the existing rate between 1-1.25%, said Mr Tak.

Movement in the US monetary policy will affect monetary policy management of other central banks globally, with the monetary policy committee structure of the Bank of Japan poised to make changes in the first quarter of next year, he said.

General elections taking place in Italy, Germany and Thailand together with the US midterm elections will also have an impact on economic policies in these countries, said Mr Tak.

Under this scenario, the baht is expected to appreciate further, with greater currency volatility.

Mr Tak said banks, including BAY, have launched a foreign exchange hedging campaign to minimise foreign exchange risk for exporters and importers.

The campaign is a collaboration between the government and the Thai Bankers Association. Around 20 business operators have joined the bank's campaign, mostly importers.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah... so my Russian neighbour is a mafia.

Then again, I'm not looking at starting a business like my Russian neighbour.

Maybe the better way is to rent his car when I am around.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Darn, the baht has now broached 24 mark (to Sgd). Has to do with Usd development, positive trade nos. (and capital inflows?). Predictions for 2018?

I am waiting for it to go below 23.5, then I can transfer some money back liaoz.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah... so my Russian neighbour is a mafia.

Then again, I'm not looking at starting a business like my Russian neighbour.

Maybe the better way is to rent his car when I am around.
Better way is to rent from reputable car rental companies. No problems, no worries and no disputes. Car headaches only appear when there are accidents.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looking at the economy, I only hear Siam Kia KPKB each day getting more and more tough,” Yu Yak Tuk Tuk wan” and I see with my own eyes that many shops and business are either closing or downsizing. Even my former business co partner also recently closed down a branch.

A strong Thai baht is not very good for the tourism industry especially for places like Phuket, Pattaya and Chiangmai. Nowadays, People have choice, can go somewhere else. Don’t have to come to Siam Lor.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Looking at the economy, I only hear Siam Kia KPKB each day getting more and more tough,” Yu Yak Tuk Tuk wan” and I see with my own eyes that many shops and business are either closing or downsizing. Even my former business co partner also recently closed down a branch.

A strong Thai baht is not very good for the tourism industry especially for places like Phuket, Pattaya and Chiangmai. Nowadays, People have choice, can go somewhere else. Don’t have to come to Siam Lor.

Same same Singapore looks good outside inside rotten. Simply go to Chonburi Rayong industrial parks how many factories closed or running single shifts?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Strength of the baht due to last year big event and this year big event. you know i know what event. How long can maintain ‘so strong’ yet to be seen. Central bank is not god.

My 2 baht on baht (since my return to pattaya 2 years ago)

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK. lets talk about Russkies in Pattaya. The first significant batch of Russkies probably settled
天天难过,天天过。
555 right. Thats the siam kia way of life. Some months i also live on 50 - 60 baht a day. But quite happy Lor. Siam kia style.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A little bit tipsy. Tonight need to go and “check bin” with an asshole. My kindnesss and compassion run out laew. Need to save the world tonight.