• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
fish.jpg
Try this fish with my colleague, it tastes pretty good. A little salt over the fire can go so far.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Try this fish with my colleague, it tastes pretty good. A little salt over the fire can go so far.

1. This fish is nile tilapia in Thailand we call it "pla nin"

2. The way of cooking this in the photo is cover with lots of salt then grill it over charcoal, in Thailand we call this "pla pow kelur" literally "fish grill salt". Before they served you the entire fish is covered with a thick layer of salt but when they serve you most of the salt is removed so you think its little salt. What happened basically is the fish is not really grilled by the charcoal rather the grilling is on the salt and heat transfer into the fish so its more like baking the fish which makes the meat so tender and sweet.

3. Eating with these vegetables where you take a lettuce as a wrap then pinch some fish meat, some sauce, some rice noodles and other herbs and eating the wrap this style is known as "miang"

4. Traditionally the rice noodle used is beehoon (known as "saen mee") however in your case you use "khanom jin" which is ok too.

thai-fish-recipe-X2.jpg

picture googled

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It’s the tail end of rainy so it’s been pouring in Bangkok in the middle of the night but be warned past few mornings around 8.30am temperature is like 33degC

Now as I’m driving at 2.20pm it’s 38degC just like Songkrang

ACF9067D-20AD-436F-BFFF-B964324FC77E.jpeg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I just found out that Boon Tong Kee chicken rice has a branch in Bangkok at Central Festival EastVille Mall in Bangkok. Its been opened more than a year. I went to try them out recently.

The front
GNAuNJc.jpg

Nice setup
ITFE4wv.jpg

fG0yjD9.jpg

Sauces looked similar to Singapore's
rAFOfbr.jpg

Ordered a plate of chicken and a sambal kangkong
i1RW0mH.jpg

This is the rice
yqdGkf0.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The chicken I guess it looked similar to ours, cooked just nice
ewSg8CQ.jpg

WfdMBcd.jpg

Looks not bad eh? Skin is nice and even have that gel between skin and meat
sWbfz9v.jpg

Kangkong Sambal is also not bad to the taste
arrYwc4.jpg

BLU3SWu.jpg

The bill
1psq6Cq.jpg

Conclusion I have to say the rice is not good for fragrant enough and too soft like over cooked. Chicken I'd say is ok only acceptable. Kangkong I also say ok only. I think I'd better go back Singapore to eat or cook myself.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Nowadays got English and Chinese in their menu ah
Chinese needless to say are for the Tiongs o_O

In a place like this yes I think Chinese for tourists

Most banks traditionally has 3 languages like this too needless to say most financial institutions started by Thai Chinese and secondly their customers are Thai Chinese too some old timers don’t know how to read Thai.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
View attachment 31851 Try this fish with my colleague, it tastes pretty good. A little salt over the fire can go so far.
Froggy mentioned almost everything about Pla Pao. Add a few points, Pla Pao serve with vegetables (cabbage and lettuce) and kanom jeem is call "Miang Pla Pao". The cabbage and lettuce, along with kanom jeem and chilli sauce are used as wraps for the Pla Pao.

Some Pla pao shops have both Pla Nim and Pla Tab Tim. If possible, go for Pla Tab Tim, which taste better. Pla Nim is more common.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Froggy mentioned almost everything about Pla Pao. Add a few points, Pla Pao serve with vegetables (cabbage and lettuce) and kanom jeem is call "Miang Pla Pao". The cabbage and lettuce, along with kanom jeem and chilli sauce are used as wraps for the Pla Pao.

Some Pla pao shops have both Pla Nim and Pla Tab Tim. If possible, go for Pla Tab Tim, which taste better. Pla Nim is more common.

Wow where have you been?

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would say Boon TK is expensive in Bkk. They hv branches in Manila too.
Nothing to shout about. But its ashamed that poor quality rice is used in Land of Rice.
I'd will get fantastic soup, etc at roadside anytime.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The chicken I guess it looked similar to ours, cooked just nice
ewSg8CQ.jpg

WfdMBcd.jpg

Looks not bad eh? Skin is nice and even have that gel between skin and meat
sWbfz9v.jpg

Kangkong Sambal is also not bad to the taste
arrYwc4.jpg

BLU3SWu.jpg

The bill
1psq6Cq.jpg

Conclusion I have to say the rice is not good for fragrant enough and too soft like over cooked. Chicken I'd say is ok only acceptable. Kangkong I also say ok only. I think I'd better go back Singapore to eat or cook myself.
kakpo, from the change - can i assume that the tip was b200?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
My friend show me some photos of private dinner I think not so acceptable la

n4CuxII.jpg

ma04AhP.jpg

QzSIL4L.jpg

2on0evW.jpg

6dSPbO0.jpg