• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Propaganda? :p

​EDUCATION
New history textbook seen as inflammatory, not neutral

The Nation November 2, 2015 1:00 am
30272066-01_big.jpg

Academic says it could aggravate the political divide

A NEW THAI history book has stirred up experts from various institutions who have found many flaws, some of which could aggravate the political divide.

"I believe a main objective of this book is to promote reconciliation. But I think this book may provide grounds for some people to attack the current government," Sunait Chutintaranond, a history lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, said last week.

The book, launched at the 43rd National Book Fair, says the Thai |Rak Thai Party implemented pop-ulist policies and
Thaksin Shina-watra engaged in election fraud, he said.

"Then, the book goes on to say the Abhisit Vejjajiva-led government focused on transparency when implementing its policies, some of them being populist," he said.

Such information could trigger another round of conflict among people with different political ideas, Sunait said.

The 2014 coup, after all, took place at the height of the country's colour-coded and polarised politics, with
Thaksin apparently heading one side, he said.

"Why should you publish such a book at a time when it may widen the rift in society?" he said.

It took the Culture Ministry about two months to publish this book in response to an order from Prime Minister
Prayut Chan-o-cha, the general who led the 2014 coup.

"We have published 13,000 copies under the budget of a little over Bt1 million. We planned to give most of these copies to provincial cultural offices for free.

"But we have also prepared some for commercial distribution," said Boonteun Srivorapot, an adviser to the ministry's Literature and History Office.

This book was selling well at the book fair, he said.

"Buyers had to queue up for a chance to win one of the 20 copies signed by the prime minister," he said.

Pipad Krajaejun, a history professor at Thammasat, said the book appeared to lack a neutral political tone.

"Without neutrality, some parts of the contents can't be right," he said.

After reading the book, he posted on Facebook: "I feel like I wasted my time", plus a long list of its alleged flaws.

Not only did he question the part on what had happened in Thai politics, he also pointed out that the book continued to focus on bloody wars and neighbouring states in the old days.

Such a presentation would definitely influence readers' perception towards Thailand's neighbours and may not bode well for the
Asean Economic Community, he wrote.

Pipad later told The Nation he expected the Culture Ministry to do better.

"If you're going to discuss a political conflict in the country's history, present facts from all sides, both the winners and the losers, so that readers can get well-rounded information and learn a lesson," he said.

Further discussions should be held to lay down proper guidelines on how to write practical history books.

For example, textbooks for primary students might have to be memory-based but the ones for secondary students might focus on facts and analytical thinking.

Thai history should be divided into three periods - Early Rattanakosin, Contemporary Rattanakosin (King Rama IV's reign and 1932) and Post-1932.

Thailand changed its administrative regime from an absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy in 1932.

Thailand also needed a history book on its internal conflicts.

"Don't just mention Thai soldiers fighting against troops from other countries. Let's discuss internal conflicts too.

"Let's address the yellow-shirt protest, |the red-shirt protest and the protest by the People's Democratic Reform Committee," he said.

Sunait suggested the current government had no need to rush to reach a conclu-sion on still unfolding political developments, as people sometimes need time to clearly see or understand what has actually transpired.

"You can wait till things settle down first," he said.

Though speaking separately, the two historians agreed that there were better ways to write such a book.

Besides thorny issues over Thailand's own political conflicts, they also raised questions about long-gone political chapters.

"This book clearly excludes many groups of people. It has not mentioned many states that were thriving in the Ayutthaya and Sukhothai periods," Pipad said.

Anan Chuchote, director general of the Fine Arts Department, defended the preparation of this book, saying it was designed as an analytical version.

"We intended to relate the country's history in chronological order," he said.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
May well be for departures, in many airports for well heeled. For arrivals, unless you got Apec priority card, you Q with rest of minions.

Seem to recall there's more than 1 arrival hall. On more than 1 occassion, I chanced on another arrival hall (due to some reno, and also beat PRC hordes)

I've received express arrival clearance in many airports too.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
May well be for departures, in many airports for well heeled. For arrivals, unless you got Apec priority card, you Q with rest of minions.

Seem to recall there's more than 1 arrival hall. On more than 1 occassion, I chanced on another arrival hall (due to some reno, and also beat PRC hordes)

Yes there are two arrival halls for immigration if you look at this recent photo I took you realize that it's for carousels 16 to 23 for passengers arriving at gates E, F, G and part of D.

The other arrival hall is for carousels 6 to 15 use by passengers arriving from gates C & part of D and for those on bus.

Carousels 1 to 5 are for domestic passengers.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Now in Yaowarat, Chinatown came at 6.30am to have porridge they call it jok.

Already quite crowds this popular stall which sells jok as well as Thia version of our pig organ soup

The stall

Preparing meat balls

boss of stall giving alms

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yaowarat market

The famous and original Hand brand pepper sold in Chinatowns all over the world

Tucked in the middle of the market is a Chinese temple

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recall that Lion Air bomb joke that messed up? Gaffe on flirting with chabor crew

AIRPORT SECURITY
Flyer sorry for bomb 'joke', but faces more legal action
Thai Lion Air, SRT pile on after criminal charges filed against first-time passenger

• Bangkok Post Published: 2/11/2015 at 09:24 PM
The man whose joke about a bomb grounded a Thai Lion Air flight this weekend apologised for his behaviour on Monday even as the airline and his employer vowed more legal action.

Thai Lion Air CEO Aswin Yangkirativorn said the budget carrier's legal team was calculating how much was lost by the cancellation of flight SL8536 on Sunday and would sue to recover every baht of the loss from Pichit Boondaeng, 23.
Mr Pichit, an employee with the State Railway of Thailand's mechanical engineering department, already faces criminal charges.

He made headlines after he "teased" a Thai Lion Air flight attendant about a bomb possibly hidden in his carry-on bag as the flight was preparing to leave Don Mueang airport for Hat Yai on Sunday.

The attendant told the aircraft's captain, who immediately cancelled the flight and ordered all passengers to disembark.
Mr Aswin said the bomb hoax cost the airline hundreds of thousands of baht when the flight was delayed for six hours, affecting hundreds of passengers.

The incident damaged the airline's image and forced a recheck of all baggage. It also had to pay additional expenses for other services, including aircraft-parking fees.

"It is understood that the passenger was just teasing the flight attendant, but the airline's first priority is safety," he said.
"As for the extent of the compensation, the legal team is looking into it. This incident should be taken as a lesson and an example case for other passengers."

'Sorry'
Mr Pichit appeared at a news conference at Don Muang police station Monday, where Acting Metropolitan Police chief Pol Lt Gen Sanit Mahathavorn said the same thing.

The police chief thanked Mr Pichit for accepting an invitation to appear at the news conference, which aimed to encourage the public to be aware of the new Act on Certain Offences Against Air Navigation and to learn from Mr Pichit's mistake so similar incidents don't re-occur.

At the briefing, Mr Pichit gave a wai and apologised for his mistake, saying he did it out of a lack of discretion.
The young jokester may have to do more than apologise to his employer, however.

SRT governor Wutthichart Kalayanamitr said Mr Pichit is on leave until Tuesday and will face a disciplinary investigation when he returns to work. He added Mr Pichit's behaviour had caused alarm for crewmembers and passengers. He claimed it also had "damaged the SRT's image".

Pol Lt Gen Sanit said Mr Pichit will be the first person to be prosecuted under the new air-navigation law.
He said Mr Pichit was released on 75,000 baht bail after being charged with reporting false information causing alarm on a parked aircraft.

Pol Lt Gen Sanit said the air-navigation law imposes relatively high penalties. The charge against Mr Pichit carries a maximum five years in jail and/or fine of 200,000 baht. Even harsher penalties would have been imposed had the flight already been in the air when Mr Pichit uttered his joke. In that case, he would have faced a maximum 15 years in jail, a fine of 200,000-500,000 baht or both, Pol Lt Gen Sanit said.

The SRT employee said he was supposed to attend a friend's wedding ceremony in Hat Yai and that it was the first time he had travelled by plane. He made the bomb remark only to tease a female flight attendant who he thought was attractive.
"I didn't know this law existed," he said. "Due to my impetuousness, I just mocked her because I saw she was beautiful," Mr Pichit said.

"I want my case to be lesson learned so this kind of case will not happen again. I apologise to everyone for causing a problem. I repent and admit my guilt."

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1340812.jpg

ECONOMY

Somkid upbeat new tax perks will boost investment

• Bangkok Post Published: 4/11/2015 at 06:25 AM
The cabinet yesterday approved the new tax incentives proposed by the Finance Ministry to accelerate private investment.

The package includes a double corporate income tax deduction for expenses incurred on investments this year and next.

The special incentives will be offered to quick-start projects that have not applied for Board of Investment (BoI) privileges.
The cabinet last month approved special privileges for investment projects that submit their applications to the BoI between January 2014 and June 2016 in a bid to rev up private investment.

The extra privileges are aimed at boosting private investment between October this year and March next year.
On Sept 15, the cabinet approved the BoI's additional tax incentives for targeted industries such as those using high technology or promoting research and development. The privileges include increasing the corporate income tax exemption to 13 years from eight and raising the reduction for corporate income tax to 90% for 10 years after a tax holiday from 50% for five years now.

Thailand is in dire need of fresh investment from the private sector to boost the lacklustre economy. The government wants to see new private investment in the next couple of years to ward off the effects of tepid exports by offering additional tax incentives to investors who kick off their investments during the period. Private investment accounts for 27% of GDP.

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak said the measures will drive private investment this year and next after lagging in recent years.

"Due to political uncertainty, most investors are taking a wait-and-see approach," he said. "So we're confident the investment stimulus measures by both the Finance Ministry and the BoI will accelerate private investment this year and next."

He said the government also hoped the measures would enable investors to improve production efficiency and increase competitiveness by buying new machinery, software, vehicles and buildings.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast in the garden

[video=youtube;fTE_Z64JlPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTE_Z64JlPg[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Took about 50 minutes to clear immigration. The queues might have been long but they had many immigration stations open to process incoming passengers.

I notice a few changes in immigration requirements since my last visit. I was asked to remove my glasses while they took my photo. I was also required to provide my handphone telephone number

Departure immigration officers "beat mosquitos" about an hour ago was there on the left hall not a single passenger at all not even Thais immigration chatting loudly

Yes today they asked me to remove my glasses first time I encounter

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On my recent visit to LOS I've been eating at MK Restaurant regularly because of the veggy platter for their steamboat option. Being a newbie To steamboat I was wondering what is the proper order of putting the ingredients into the boiling pot:confused:

Do people dump everything into the pot, or is there some kind of order you follow?
How long do you let the ingredients cook before turning off the cooker?

They include some finely chopped green chillies and garlic. Are you suppose to add the garlic to the boiling hotpot or to the chilly sauce?

I notice that some customers have the waitresses do the adding of ingredients into the hotpot. Can I ask them to do it for me?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
On my recent visit to LOS I've been eating at MK Restaurant regularly because of the veggy platter for their steamboat option. Being a newbie To steamboat I was wondering what is the proper order of putting the ingredients into the boiling pot:confused:

Do people dump everything into the pot, or is there some kind of order you follow?
How long do you let the ingredients cook before turning off the cooker?

They include some finely chopped green chillies and garlic. Are you suppose to add the garlic to the boiling hotpot or to the chilly sauce?

I notice that some customers have the waitresses do the adding of ingredients into the hotpot. Can I ask them to do it for me?

1. You do not turn off the power in the duration of your meal you do adjust the power

2. The chopped chili and garlic is to be added into the red sauce, ask for fresh lime juice in a bottle can add into this concoction quite nice

3. You can ask staff to add ingredient but DIY better la add what you wanna eat

4. There's no proper order however it make sense to add the corn in the beginning as it takes a long time to cook

5. The rest is up to you when and how much and how long whatever stuff you wanna add

Enjoy

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recall the tragic Santika club fire in 2009? Typical of LOS businesses flouting safety practices. Of 3 sinkies fatalities, I lost an aquaintance :(

NEW YEAR'S EVE FIRE

Supreme Court puts Santika Pub owner in jail

• Bangkok Post Published: 5/11/2015 at 07:46 PM
c1_755644_620x413.jpg

Santika pub owner Wisuk Setsawat (left) leaves the courthouse on Oct 22, 2013 after the Appeals Court overturned the lower court's decision convicting him.

The court battle over responsibility for the Santika Pub inferno that killed 67 people and maimed many others seven years ago has ended with the Supreme Court jailing owner Wisuk Setsawat and ordering two others to pay the victims millions in damages.

The final verdict of the Supreme Court on the pub owner reversed the Appeals Court's ruling on Oct 22, 2013, which acquitted Wisuk, widely known as Sia Khao, of all charges relating to the deaths and injuries in the horrifying fire at the pub at midnight on New Year's Eve, 2008.

In the ruling read by the Criminal Court on Wednesday, the Supreme Court judges said Wisuk had to accept responsibility for negligence as the pub had only one exit at the front which was not enough to handle about 1,000 people when the fire broke out. It sentenced him to the maximum jail sentence of three years.

The Supreme Court upheld the ruling of the Appeals Court which sentenced Boonchu Laoseenart, the authorised director of Focus Light Sound System Co at the time, to three years behind bars and fined the firm 20,000 baht. It also ordered him and the firm to pay the victims a total of 5.12 million baht.

Sia Khao and Boonchu were taken to a prison after the final ruling. The verdict, which cannot be appealed, ended the case after a court fight that began in the Criminal Court in 2011.

The fire killed 67 people and injured 117 others, 45 of them seriously, in the packed entertainment venue on Ekamai Road celebrating the New Year as a band called Burn, led by singer Sarawut Ariya, was on the stage.

The musician was accused of lighting a firecracker in the pub but the Supreme Court said there was no conclusive evidence to substantiate the accusation.

The pub could handle up to 500 people but about 1,000, including many under 20, were jam-packed inside on that night, according to state prosecutors.

Wisuk owned White and Brothers (2003) Co which ran Santika. Focus Light Sound System Co was hired to make special effects on that night.

The fireworks, which were designed to be set off outdoors, were lit inside the pub, hitting the ceiling and starting the fire.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
C0D59E82FDD849EFA22A0FA0E47DE197.jpg

Two 'pretties' demonstrate how to use a new 3D gaming device at the Commart Comtech 2015 at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre, which runs through Nov 8.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What a pleasant surprise to find khong-bak-pao in the Changi lounge this afternoon. My first time see this

have to admit it's tastes pretty good

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CSD moves to curb trafficking at market
Talad Thai serves as pilot for new crime busting model.
c1_758260_151109045131_620x413.jpg

Teeming Talad Thai wholesale produce market in Pathum Thani, where you can buy fruits, nuts, humans, etc (File photo by Jetjaras na Ranong)

• Bangkok Post Published: 9/11/2015 at 04:25 AM
Police have set their sights on combating human trafficking and mafia influence and found a gathering place of migrant workers close to Bangkok where they can practice a systematic crackdown operation.

Talad Thai, the country's largest wholesale market for agricultural products in Pathum Thani to the north of Bangkok, provides the police with a real-life situation where they can launch a comprehensive crackdown on activities ranging from human trade to other serious crimes such as drugs and predatory lending, according to Crime Suppression Division (CSD) chief Akkaradej Pimolsri.

He said various crimes can occur in the vast market and the local police are not adequately equipped to suppress them.
Talad Thai on the Asian Highway is known for its bustling trade. It is home to a large community of migrant workers, some of whom fall prey to labour exploitation and illegal trafficking.
1350352.jpg

A sting operation on Sept 17, led by Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej, gave the CSD the idea of using Talad Thai as a pilot project for a crackdown on human trafficking and other major crimes.It gave the police an overview of how criminal activities are interconnected. Police hope to design a comprehensive crime suppression model which, if successful, could be applied elsewhere in the country.
The so-called "Talad Thai model" will be explained to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha before it is approved for use in other areas.
In the Sept 17 raid, a large contingent of police and military were mobilised in and around the 500-rai market. Apart from the 350 CSD police, 150 soldiers from the 1st Army and another 30 police from the Narcotics Suppression Bureau also took part.
Their initial goal was to help local police, who face limited resources and manpower, deal with large-scale criminal offences in the market.

Based on the raid, the CSD categorised key crimes which take place in Talad Thai. Topping the list is human trafficking, which is the most serious, followed by organised crime, mafia influence, drugs and loan sharks. "Our emphasis is on human trade," Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej said.

He insisted the raid did not result from pressure from Washington to solve human trafficking. "We've found the human trade is linked to local influential figures in the area," he said, adding that human trafficking in Talad Thai also leads to forced labour and prostitution.

Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej said tackling problems that stem from human trafficking requires cooperation from employers.
The CSD plans to adopt methods to keep employers and employees in check and prevent crime.
They include surveying and compiling records of labourers and their bosses, having workers wear T-shirts with different colours, educating employers and seeking help from local people.
The migrants will be assigned different coloured shirts to wear according to their countries of origin and with the names of their employers printed on them. The workers will also wear an ID badge.

The move will help police detect where the workers gather. The authorities can also easily identify and reach them if need be, according to the CSD. The measures will be carried out along with the police registration of workers and their bosses.
Key details of the workers will be recorded, including whether they have relatives and friends who also work in Thailand. This will help systematise employment at Talad Thai for security and crime suppression purposes, Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej said.
At the same time, the employers will be informed of the laws and penalties against human trafficking. Local people also will be asked to report any suspicious activities at the market.

Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej added authorities also planned to rein in influential figures at the market.
The police are compiling a list of mafia individuals in Pathum Thani who may be active at the market. Similar arrangements are planned for loan sharks and drug peddlers.

Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej said police will take tough legal measures against offenders if they fail to heed warnings to cease their activities. The loan sharks, for example, could be charged with tax evasion and face criminal prosecution.
Drug problems also need urgent attention as Talad Thai is believed to be a transit point of drugs transported mainly from the North to Bangkok.

In the view of the CSD, the problems at Talad Thai could well represent a microcosm of the criminal situation in other areas of the country.

Last edited: