• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I like to stay in this hotel, Oriental Bund while visiting Shanghai. It's near the
bund and Yu Garden. Rooms very clean and big. Breakfast also not bad.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Shanghai this time of the year is a little quiet and will be quieter in the days to come. Many workers had left for home for the CNY season, traffic today is light everywhere.

Coming to Shanghai I cannot miss my favourite 小笼包 that I posted before I have to post again cos its really so delicious.

The usual mob

Kitchen

Diner

With pork only (13RMB - $2.80)

Pork and crab (27 RMB - $5.70)

Seaweed egg soup (4 RMB - 85 cents)

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
When one mention 新天地 XinTianDi bars and restaurants comes to mind not many know that there is a small man made lake beside those bars.

When it's not so cold around the lake is actually quite busy with many Shanghainese in their pajamas taking evening strolls and doing exercises there. I like walking around there.

Anyway it's bloody cold tonight because of strong wind so no one is sitting outside the bars

as for me I'm hiding inside CJW (Cigar, Jazz, Wine) all alone but with a nice bottle of Argentinian blend and some jazz and blues of course

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hongqiao Highspeed Train Station

Had breakfast there this morning in the Yonghe Fastfood shop

Prices very reasonable

The train

Business Class

Business is higher than First Class and Second Class but is very expensive however there are another two classes one is top even more expensive than business class where you get a bed the other is the lowest call 站票 or standing ticket this one must try your luck if got seat can sit but if not then sit on floor la. I normally take First Class as business class is too expensive.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yu Garden (城隍庙) CNY decoration

[video=youtube;dtuoVCYMaCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtuoVCYMaCQ[/video]

Beautiful horse

How this is very interesting - look closely looks like there is Asam and Eve (holding apple) and serpent and also a Christ like figure. This is really strange as what's this got to do with CNY.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Mentioned this restaurant before 滴水洞, a Hunan restaurant that I must visit whenever I'm in Shanghai. But htis time will post different dishes. Was there for late dinner last night

Eating alone so ordered only 1 cold dish, salted cold chicken - like the balanced and non overwhelming infusion of salt and chinese rice wine into the meat

Stir fry long beans and egg plant with Chinese ham - the ham made a whole lot different with fragrance of the ham and the occasional encounter with the small strips of ham will send you to heaven

Deep fried bullfrog legs with Hunan spices - it's so perfectly cooked that the meat just drops off the bones in your mouth while still maintaining the meat juices. The tinge of 麻辣 was perfectly executed without numbing your mouth.

Well this is a common dish 麻婆豆腐 - kudos to the chef again for making this dish not overwhelmingly numb to the mouth, another perfect execution

I like this dish but problem is its very fatty however I particularly like this 梅菜扣肉 in this restaurant as the meat selected is not too fatty.

Rice is served on a clay bowl

Beer lovers will like this place as they serve quite a few imported beers, Chinese beers are not my cuppa

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had a hard time loading videos into Youtube as you all know it is blocked here so got to fine many ways. So here is the video of the highspeed train in Yuhang station yesterday

[video=youtube;gRvhiDLSiYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRvhiDLSiYA[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was taking a walk from The Bund to Nanjing East Road this morning

This is Pudong this morning

Pudong last night

Puxi's The Bund this morning

The Bund last night.

This bull you cannot miss at The Bund

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Apple Shop at the end of Nanjing East Road's walking street (towards The Bund) - its always crowded, the staff are all very friendly

iPhone prices in China

iPad prices in China

There is a small stall in the middle of the walking street selling very nice pork buns the skin feels like our curry-puff texture they call it 月饼 really cannot understand why. You will not miss it as there's always a queue

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Walk further down towards the start of the walking street there is a nice but simple noodle restaurant known as Shen Da Cheng (沈大成)http://www.shsdc.com.cn/

I had their signature beef noodle, I have the say the beef is really tender and just breaks apart in the mouth.

The 小笼包 is really good similar in taste to 佳家汤包 which I posted earlier above but it lost in the skin which is thicker

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
After having that 小笼包 in 佳家汤包 one must cross over to have 小杨's 生煎包. It's just directly across.

The kitchen

The plate of 4 pcs of 生煎包 (I turned over 1 pc to show how it look like below)

See how soupy and juicy inside is

Here is a video of how its done, enjoy

[video=youtube;nrhE0iNckUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhE0iNckUg[/video]

Last edited: