• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Nasi Lemak in Indonesia is known as Nasi Uduk.

Had this for breakfast cost S$3.50

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Thailand's 2Q GDP faltering?

S$30 . . . . . . cheep sial

When I travel in this region I am struck by how much cheaper food is compared to Spore. So much variety to chose from & I always over eat when I'm traveling:(

However when you look at the wages in these countries where the middle class are earning 1k to 2k it may not be so cheap for them.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

When I travel in this region I am struck by how much cheaper food is compared to Spore. So much variety to chose from & I always over eat when I'm traveling:(

However when you look at the wages in these countries where the middle class are earning 1k to 2k it may not be so cheap for them.

I found Thailand food prices the cheapest so far. Jakarta have 2 prices - the "malay food" prices and "chinese operated" joints prices. For example local Indonesians (as in non-Chinese) may spend 5,000 rupiah (60 cents) for breakfast nasi-lemak with drinks and 7,000-10,000 for lucnch/dinner (S$0.80-1.20). Most middle class or Chinese will spend 25,000-35,000 rupiah (S$3.00-4.60) for any meal which I find is more expensive than Singapore considering their cost of living here. Thailand no need to say la cheap cheap 50 baht (S$2) jia-pah-pah.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

So like today lunch nothing fancy just go into a tze-char shop

Fried Oyster Egg 45,000 rupiah (S$5.25)

Bitter gourd 32,000 rupiah (S$3.70)

Thick Udon Noodle 32,000 rupiah (S$3.70)

Char Mee 34,000 Rupiah (S$4)

Total 165,000 rupiah ($19) plus drinks for 4 person is ok la

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I found Thailand food prices the cheapest so far. Jakarta have 2 prices - the "malay food" prices and "chinese operated" joints prices. For example local Indonesians (as in non-Chinese) may spend 5,000 rupiah (60 cents) for breakfast nasi-lemak with drinks and 7,000-10,000 for lucnch/dinner (S$0.80-1.20). Most middle class or Chinese will spend 25,000-35,000 rupiah (S$3.00-4.60) for any meal which I find is more expensive than Singapore considering their cost of living here. Thailand no need to say la cheap cheap 50 baht (S$2) jia-pah-pah.

The typical diet diet in LOS seems to be healthier than in Indonesia. Just have to look at the kind of foods Indonesians are actually eating. It's usually rice & something fried with very few greens.
You will find more obese older indonesians than thais:o

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today's slice of big mango?

Today's slice of the big mango:p

Baht hits all time low to 2010 level, now 32 to usd

Baht2208.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/365930/baht-falls-to-32-per-us-dollar

VAT refund scandal, lost 3.4billion baht

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/365932/vat-refund-conspiracy-steals-billions

Another with Thai embassy in KL, loss of 300 visa labels (sold usd1k apiece). Malaysia boleh?

visa.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/365933/visas-reportedly-sold-to-criminals-terrorists

Last edited:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Today's slice of big mango?

Today's slice of the big mango:p

Baht hits all time low to 2010 level, now 32 to usd

No lah. All time low was around THB42 to USD1 after the Asian crisis of '98. IIRC those rates persisted till 2003-4.
That time those with USD machiam big hero in BKK, walk with big stick.
Can you imagine a 2 hour TTM massage for $8 all-in including tips (120THB/hour + 100THB in tips)?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

all time low was around THB42 to USD1 after the Asian crisis of '98. IIRC those rates persisted till 2003-4....USD machiam big hero in BKK, walk with big stick....imagine a 2 hour TTM massage for $8 all-in including tips (120THB/hour + 100THB in tips)?
Meant back to 2010 level (see table posted). Thai contagion then, on to Asian crisis. Over-built concrete laid bare was visible all around Bkk. Also, rupiah then was never same morning into afternoon. You just went changed enough for lunch, and afforded a bigger dinner.:p

Hear SGD now past 24.65

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Drove 3hrs to Bandung city for work this morning started 6.30am. In this cozy Sundanese restaurant for lunch - Dago Panyawangan

[video=youtube;GGVV8ap3M9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGVV8ap3M9w[/video]

I always like to start my Indonesian meal with sambal and piping hot rice

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Now on the way back to Jakarta but here's the delicious Sundanese food from this restaurant, its really worth dining in this cool place with great food.

Beef Satay

Satay gravy thick and crunchy nuts the way I like, not easy to find this gravy in Jakarta

Beef soup Ampal Dagoh - very similar to our kambing soup

Taugay with salted fish, the great part is they also use giam-chye makes a lot of difference

Leaf wrapped steamed tofu and mushroom

Giant Prawns BBQ with special kamangi sauce

Fried tofu with chopped chilli, garlic and herbs - very spicy but delicious

Kangkong in sizzling hot plate - very special, a little sweet though

Deep fried mussels then saute with sweet sauce

Ikan Barona bakar

With 5 drinks total cost is 575,000 Rupiah about $67. Ok la jia-pa-liao now go home liao, 4-5 hrs for sure with the trafic.

Last edited:

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now on the way back to Jakarta but here's the delicious Sundanese food from this restaurant, its really worth dining in this cool place with great food.

With 5 drinks total cost is 575,000 Rupiah about $67. Ok la jia-pa-liao now go home liao, 4-5 hrs for sure with the trafic.

kempiski_0.jpg

Joe, thank you for your recommendation. We spent four nights at this super luxurious Kempiski Hotel and their staffs were very attentive and helpful.

Many taxi drivers told me that it's the only 6 star hotel in Bangkok.

Companion was so very happy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
kempiski_0.jpg
Joe, thank you for your recommendation. We spent four nights at this super luxurious Kempiski Hotel and their staffs were very attentive and helpful. Many taxi drivers told me that it's the only 6 star hotel in Bangkok.Companion was so very happy.
Glad you enjoyed. Was told the royal family owns Kempinski world wide through their investment company.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore's economic rice already $12.80....what do you think?

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Over-built concrete laid bare was visible all around Bkk.

That stuff still there in BKK, 15 years after the crisis.
Most visible is the ghost building in Bangrak area, behind Lebua. Still there.
The entire building is used as a giant advertising billboard.
Cost too much to demolish and cost too much to rehabilitate.

Also the numerous columns for an elevated highway that never got built.

Those, plus the huge shell of a Boeing 747 in Ramkhamheang are among the unique sights of Bangkok.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Singapore's economic rice already $12.80....what do you think?

Pii Narong I think this one extreme case la. Nevertheless I do believe that people are being squeezed with all those gangs who operates coffeeshops. Chaojeebye PAP only always compare sinkapore to hongkong on things that give themselves advantage like hk is more expensive etc etc but never compare what hongkies get from their government. knnbccb PAP I really hope sinkies will rise up and fuck them in the ballot and I hope Lee Kuan Yew motherfucker will live to see that day.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Also the numerous columns for an elevated highway that never got built.
QUOTE]

You're talking about the Thai Stonehenge right? It's being dismantled now since 2 months ago I think.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
My last day in Jakarta. Kns got to suffer. Left for Bandung to visit customer at 6.15am back to office at 8.15pm knn bloody 14hrs took 3hrs there but 5 bloody hours back, Jakarta's infamous traffic jam.

Anyway had dinner only at 9pm at Ikan Bali Jimbaran, one of my favourite seafood near my place.

3 portions (9 prawns) of udang bakar (S$15)

Looks good and taste good

Squid eat with sambal (S$3.90)

Bakar eggplant (S$0.70)

Crab in Jimbaran sauce (a little too spicy today) (S$14.60)

Steamed red garoupa (S$9.40)

total cost is S$52 including 2 drinks, coconut and strawberry juice