• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand.

So far not seen anyone here in the forum already retired in Chiangmai however if you do have any questions please feel free to ask I am sure some of us here can give you information.

Sarwadeekrap phi. In your opinion which jangwat or province is better for retirement? I am really sick of this pratet. Chok dee na krap.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Sorry for the late reply, got my staff to call the 3 banks company using - Bangkok Bang ; Kasikorn Bank ; TMB. Both KBank and TMB require work permit or long term visa like student visa. Bangkok is a little ambiguous they said if don't have work permit can get a local to sponsor. Sorry to disappoint you but that's all I can do. Yes I've heard tourists coming in and open with Bangkok Bank just like that but its all hear say not from anyone I know directly.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Sarwadeekrap phi. In your opinion which jangwat or province is better for retirement? I am really sick of this pratet. Chok dee na krap.

Since you're ok with your Thai language as what I could see you're fine to be anywhere in Thailand. I will not recommend south as its just too complicated there so the most southern place I can recommend you will be Hua Hin. Nice beaches and golf courses.

If you like a cooling place then it will be Chiangmai where you get to live in a proper city with all its conveniences however March to June could be hotter than Bangkok in the high 30degC to 42degC range.

Given a choice, hell, there're plenty of choices for me, Chiangmai will be my first choice if not it'll be Nong Kai in Isaan

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sorry for the late reply, got my staff to call the 3 banks company using - Bangkok Bang ; Kasikorn Bank ; TMB. Both KBank and TMB require work permit or long term visa like student visa. Bangkok is a little ambiguous they said if don't have work permit can get a local to sponsor. Sorry to disappoint you but that's all I can do. Yes I've heard tourists coming in and open with Bangkok Bank just like that but its all hear say not from anyone I know directly.

Bangkok bank indeed open to tourist easily. try it first. i got mine when i was a tourist too and even an ATM card to go with it. not sure about now though

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Given a choice, hell, there're plenty of choices for me, Chiangmai will be my first choice if not it'll be Nong Kai in Isaan

Nong Khai is too slow for me bro.....a few months there i damn bored liao......if nong khai is your choice then go over the border to laos....same lifestyle more or less but for better value for money.
Udon suits me better.....alot of angmos there also......

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

on retiring, do try staying for a longer period, and not the 14 days or 30 days. i recommend 90 days at least so you can be localised.

trust me, i have seen too many cases of starting very excited, half way gave up. those who can survive 3 months will usually make it.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

on retiring, do try staying for a longer period, and not the 14 days or 30 days. i recommend 90 days at least so you can be localised.

trust me, i have seen too many cases of starting very excited, half way gave up. those who can survive 3 months will usually make it.

Hi bro chonburifc

Good advice. Like BMT, survive first 3 months usually can endure rest of 2-2.5 years of NS...kekek..

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Hi bro chonburifc

Good advice. Like BMT, survive first 3 months usually can endure rest of 2-2.5 years of NS...kekek..

But unlike BMT if you don't like you can go back Sinkieland. BMT if you don't and if you not lanlan then can go detention barrack

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Nong Khai is too slow for me bro.....a few months there i damn bored liao......if nong khai is your choice then go over the border to laos....same lifestyle more or less but for better value for money.
Udon suits me better.....alot of angmos there also......

You're right. Nong Kai is just a town. Udon could be a better choice afterall if like Nong Kai it's just 30mins drive away from Udon. Also I like Udon and Khon Kaen girls and these two places are redland daeng makmak roi.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

You're right. Nong Kai is just a town. Udon could be a better choice afterall if like Nong Kai it's just 30mins drive away from Udon. Also I like Udon and Khon Kaen girls and these two places are redland daeng makmak roi.

i will be moving to kanchanaburi 1st choice. pattaya 2nd choice. bangkok outskirts (still not yet decide where) 3rd choice.

reason: wifey in 1st. so no choice.

2nd. pattaya. nor for fun, but for its tourist money, if intend to open something to catch them.

3rd. cheaper and can do some SME.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

hehe it's just so happens that i did a personal comparative study between these 2 places before.... those interested in these 2 places i can list down the pros and cons.....
of course my dream place to retire is someplace like Pattaya where there's alot of action but alas cannot be done due to range of reasons.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

kanachanaburi was the starting point for me bro.......way back spent a good 2 years there with the SAF. (despite that it was still one of the best time of my life). i always have good memories of the place......but somehow the urge to get far away from SAF then...Kan never figured on my radar for retirement......maybe can go back to take a look.

i will be moving to kanchanaburi 1st choice. pattaya 2nd choice. bangkok outskirts (still not yet decide where) 3rd choice.

reason: wifey in 1st. so no choice.

2nd. pattaya. nor for fun, but for its tourist money, if intend to open something to catch them.

3rd. cheaper and can do some SME.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes, i think the first month is the most difficult. on a personal note , my own views only. if u intend to shift ur life over to thailand or any other country, do not jump into doing any business first!! always give urself time to look around, cos the demand in sg may not be in demand over at ur destined country.

e.g. starting a game shop selling ps3 xbox.. but, realised that place u reside in, nobody even owns a sega 16 bit!

it is better to let urself rot until u are freaking boring, then go find something to do. cos, if u (perhaps) open a shop, if halfway, u cannot survive, then u will think of coming back sg.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

kanachanaburi was the starting point for me bro.......way back spent a good 2 years there with the SAF. (despite that it was still one of the best time of my life). i always have good memories of the place......but somehow the urge to get far away from SAF then...Kan never figured on my radar for retirement......maybe can go back to take a look.

yes, SAF. but saiyok camp is very far from city centre. my wedding photos also booked from one of the shops there!! around 800sgd, 4 suits 50 outdoor shots. 1 big and 1 small album :smile:

i like kanchanaburi because it is something like singapore (in terms of economy). yes, it is rural now, but sloly, mncs are coming in. big shopping centres like robinsons are already building the complex foundations.

why i like it? cos, it gives everyone equal opp. to get rich. not like sg. fucked up. and in a few more years, highways are opening, linking into burma. (import-export) and i got some latest news of the ongoing issues in the province. so, it kinda gives me an upper edge against angmo foreigners trying their luck here..

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

do not jump into doing any business first!! always give urself time to look around, cos the demand in sg may not be in demand over at ur destined country.
e.g. starting a game shop selling ps3 xbox.. but, realised that place u reside in, nobody even owns a sega 16 bit!.
Sensible, test the water if "warm" before diving in (deep end?). Not unlike starting on a darned fast food franchise in some ulu precinct when locals only got money to spare (and palate) for their pad thai. Some1 last year lobbied me to go for Subway franchise in new up coming Central in Lampang up north (only mall is Big C and new Macro). And we know the thai's tastebuds more to KFC and maybe big M over sandwiches.

Narong Wongwan said:
of course my dream place to retire is someplace like Pattaya where there's alot of action but alas cannot be done due to range of reasons.
Care to share any limiting reasons for Sin City? You might get into some partnership (and skirmishes) with Chon:biggrin:

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Care to share any limiting reasons for Sin City? You might get into some partnership (and skirmishes) with Chon:biggrin:

As of now the only limiting reason is the GF soon to be WIFE.
Even if somehow by a stroke of unlucky I am single again.......i would be like a kid in a candystore in Pattaya.......i think money will run out very fast :biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ok finally got some time now. retiring or running road is like salesman selling things. only say the good things but no say bad things. the longer period to test water is to see the not good or not so good things.

retiring without anything to do can be very boring like what happened to me and so i invest in some small biz here and other provinces. i dont get involve in the day to day operations, just occasinally help out when i am needed.

finally, type of lifestyle looking for. personally i prefer a mixture of countryside and cowboytown living.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
once decide to jalan liaoz, dont look back. i over a year never step out of los liaoz. last time still made attempt to balek sinkingland once a year but now ? go bkk also lazy to go. yeah very very lazy. :p

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

One day buddy and soon I hope when all the dust settled we'll have our Cordon Bleu here.