• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I looked at flight prices after January and they didn't look that high. Around 2k each way is normal. Cheap would be 1k.
Hotels also were not that expensive but filling out fast. Of course, this was to CEI and not CNX. CNX much more popular with Thai market because there's not a goddam thing to do in CEI. If one were to go to Mae Sai, you've got to choose between easy or cheap. Easy (taxi) is not cheap and cheap (rot tu) is not easy.

Fortunately not that cold this year.

roti, for transport here these 5 days, I rented a Honda Civic, brand new still have red plate. Comes with bluetooth, back camera, navigator etc etc for 1,800 bath per day with insurance. So it beats taking taxis could be more expensive.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok guys and gal, one thing that impresses me the first day I came here is the people. Don't know why but the people here gave me a good feeling. Kept smiling and appear to be very sincere. Hell I don't mean the 5-stars places, in fact I've still not been to any, all the places including my "hotel" are "no-star" but the feeling I got was really nice and warm. I like this place so much. If you think that Thailand or Thais are always nice to people then I want to say here in the north they are EXTRA-nice.

These two days of driving around also showed me Chiang Mai is pretty international with many foreigners living here. I really like this place and I am sure my plan to have a house here is a right plan with direct connection to Singapore through Silkair. So yesterday afternoon I went for house "shopping" came across one that I really like by an upmarket developer.

One unit I really like is a 4 bedroom unit 200sqm inside sitting on 492sqm of land. 24 hours security, double barrier gate at the village entrance, condo facilities like club, gym, swimming pool etc. Inside house floors, kitchen, toilets etc all done up, just need to buy furniture and lights for inside (outside lights all done). Garden complete with a gazebo and fountain and trees etc. And maybe if like to make build-in cabinets if not just buy from IKEA is ok. This village is less than 10km from city centre and overlooking the mountains. Here's the layout and artist impression

Pix1.png

Pix2.png

Pix3.png

The plan shows two cars but the actual unit could park 4 cars easily.

The steal? 6.39mil baht (S$254k). I am sure no need to spend more than 1mil (S$40k) to furnish it up including installing 8 channels security camera system. Really tempting. Almost put up the 50,000 baht booking fee yesterday but decided to look around some more.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The steal? 6.39mil baht (S$254k). I am sure no need to spend more than 1mil (S$40k) to furnish it up including installing 8 channels security camera system. Really tempting. Almost put up the 50,000 baht booking fee yesterday but decided to look around some more.

Isn't Bangkok exurbs not that much more expensive? I visited someone's house last trip near Ramkhamheang Soi 100+ (maybe 20 mins if no traffic from Ramkhamheang U) - albeit smaller sq footage, gated community - he bought 1 year ago at what he claimed was 5 mil. Furnishings another mil.

You go CNX, must eat Khantoke. I like:
Hean Kha Jao
Soi 3/3 Keaw Nawarat Road
053 262 905

It's on the other side (east) of the river close to Goodview. Prices are very reasonable (80-150B per dish), there's a cultural show and best of all, you eat alfresco outside an old house with an oldtime museum inside which will remind you of the good old days (70s) of Singapore. Seems no foreign tourists come here - only Thai tourists. If you interested, call them - phone number above. Very sabai sabai.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Time flies and it's exactly 1 year ago since I bought the current hybrid. Mileage is 27,000 km nia. :smile:

20121214_202732.jpg

Thanks to the for recommending camry hybrid as me almost bought a camry 2.0.

So far no complaints.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Joetys, great looking mansion. Wish I was in same brackets, what we call good comparative advantage (cannot even buy a new 4 roomer hdb). Yo, you need wheels to get around. Basic car costs thb900 in low season, but now UP thb1500 in high season (can't even get 1 post Xmas period). CNX ppl ..find them quite gentle, polite. No horns or tooting in busy Niman area.

Roti, domestic flights to CNX now near thb4k, most hotels sell out post Xmas. Yup, regular price thb2k. Had to unscramble for earlier return to Bkk 31/12, to make final leg home new year's day. Will do khantoke this time, recall your previous mention.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Roti, domestic flights to CNX now near thb4k, most hotels sell out post Xmas. Yup, regular price thb2k. Had to unscramble for earlier return to Bkk 31/12, to make final leg home new year's day. Will do khantoke this time, recall your previous mention.

You old hand at CNX but let me know if you need other restaurant recommendations. Enjoy yourself.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to Chiang Mai's highest peak today, Doi Inthanon.

[video=youtube;l_1-TGyVN7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_1-TGyVN7o[/video]

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Knn the house looks nice man...

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In CNX, there's a type of condo that is build along the slopes of the hill. It looks more like multiple story terrace house but it's legally a condominium so foreigners can own it under own name. There is a small garden in front or back of each unit.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
on a spying mission now. a prc restaurant. if i don't post after this, mean i kena caught. :smile:

joetys, u saw that rest. before.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the way to BKK liaoz. :smile:

This time is Kachanapisek. 160 km from my place, according to google map. Hope don't get lost.