• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Highly recommended by yours truly is to drive all the way through Geary to Ocean Beach. Straight road throroughfare, no turns or detours required, just drive on straight until the end of the road where you reach the beach. Then will you get to see what a real beach is all about. Marine Parade East Coast Park is just ponding. There's a remnant of an ancient Roman-style bath-house there. Wear your better-soled track shoes if you're adventurous to climb down to it and explore around. It can get dangerously slippery. There're very few swimmers at the beach. Unlike LA or Miami, this is serious strong tidal beach with water temperature 5 to 10 d*C (40 to 50*F) all year round. Unless you're expert like Olympic swimmer, you'll either freeze or drown. The beach top restaurant serves good brunch and snacks too.

Once I brought my Japanese GF there. She was like, wow! I said look, there's your home Japan. She asked where? I said there, and pointed my finger westward, across this ocean about 5,000 miles. She laughed and gently pulled my ear. Geary is a very long street, stretching from downtown SF to all the way to the beach. In the middle is Japantown. On our way back, we stopped over at Japantown for dinner. That's the place to get the best Japanese food outside Japan and Hawaii. Nothing like fake stuff and Ah Beng pretending to be Japanese chef as in Singapore. It's all Japanese chef and half the price of Tokyo.

Last edited:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the place to get the best Japanese food outside Japan and Hawaii. Nothing like fake stuff and Ah Beng pretending to be Japanese chef as in Singapore. It's all Japanese chef and half the price of Tokyo.

I think Bangkok is another place you can get very good Japanese food.
There are quite a lot of Japanese chefs who work and live in Bangkok too. Expensive place also got, cheap ramen places also got Japanese chef.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just had dinner with my niece at Crustacean restaurant in Polk Street. Love the garlic spaghetti and m&d crabs -

IMG_6636-1.jpg

Garlic Spaghetti

6d78c972.jpg

Roasted Crab

685e4fef.jpg

Tamarin Crab

af5a23f8.jpg

Sea bass

c94822c9.jpg

Beef

6e29305d.jpg

The whole meal - what I did not post are 2 somtams and 2 Thai fish cakes

Our drinks -

Started with this
4c219b52.jpg

Ended up with 2 bottles of this
IMG_6638.jpg

Really one of the smoothest Cabsav

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think Bangkok is another place you can get very good Japanese food.
There are quite a lot of Japanese chefs who work and live in Bangkok too. Expensive place also got, cheap ramen places also got Japanese chef.

I have to second that. Bangkok has one of the best Japanese original food in the world due to the high Japanese population there. You can get all sorts of original Japanese food in Thaniya any time.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehehe. He must be so hungry after seeing your pic. Keep the pics coming whether it's uneaten or half eaten as long as it is not empty plate lah.

BTW, pai seh, this is one unfinished food at Canton House last night dinner. Too hungry liaoz, eat first then say.

Fish Maw Soup,
Chicken Soup,
Fried Vegetables,
Har Kow,
Pai Guat
Fried Shrimp Wanton
Jelly Fish Salad

Haha did he deduct your points for posting unfinished food photo? I think he was hungry and angry, typing in all caps but he didn't dare to leave his name...

You have quite a few dishes there, how much does it cost to eat like that in Thailand? Think you posted photo of Canton house before, looks like a nice restaurant...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to second that. Bangkok has one of the best Japanese original food in the world due to the high Japanese population there. You can get all sorts of original Japanese food in Thaniya any time.

Yes, Thaniya or as I like to refer to as Patpong 3 has very good Jap food.

Hey Pii Ram I am staying in Geary.

Then there's no problem for you to get to Ocean Beach.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pier 39 is a tourist trap, but if seals are in town will sunbathe next to pier. ferry terminal marketplace at the end of market street has many local, bay area, california organic producers and food companies pitching their wholesome goodness to the local population. it's also a busy transit hub for ferry passengers commuting across the bay from larkspur, sausalito, oakland, etc.

incidentally at sfo now flying off to ny. foggy this morning but temp will rise to 80f inland. be safe and enjoy!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody. Body still in Hawaiian time. Woke up very late, 10am (Hawaii is 7am), now rushing to pack and leave. Will drive to Nuir Woods then to Napa and spend the night there.

incidentally at sfo now flying off to ny. foggy this morning but temp will rise to 80f inland. be safe and enjoy!

You have a safe trip too buddy.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Morning guys,

Was in Chonburi the whole day yesterday.

Some bad news, Civic left side got a 5-6 inch scratch from a passing motorcycle taxi while I was in a small soi. KNN, the new paint job was about a month old nia. Think will not go for a new paint job soon but will buy some MUGEN and bullet hole stickers to cover the scratch.

Think today will be another zho bo lan day.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha did he deduct your points for posting unfinished food photo? I think he was hungry and angry, typing in all caps but he didn't dare to leave his name...

You have quite a few dishes there, how much does it cost to eat like that in Thailand? Think you posted photo of Canton house before, looks like a nice restaurant...
OK, here's some review for CANTON house at Central Festival 6th floor. Have posted pics of uneaten food. This is the closest Cantonese food you can get in Sin City. Price is quite cheap and place is clean. Only thing is there are quite a number of dishes from the menu they don't serve when near the closing hours. You can also get good Dim Sum here. Think the whole dinner was around THB 1200. Have to deduct THB 200 from the bill because of the 2 bottles of Heineken beer.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just had dinner with my niece at Crustacean restaurant in Polk Street. Love the garlic spaghetti and m&d crabs -

Garlic Spaghetti

Roasted Crab

Tamarin Crab

Sea bass

Beef

The whole meal - what I did not post are 2 somtams and 2 Thai fish cakes

Our drinks -

Started with this

Ended up with 2 bottles of this

Really one of the smoothest Cabsav
Wah, the Ang Moh Crabs looks BIG!!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah, the Ang Moh Crabs looks BIG!!

those are dungeness crabs, native to sf and the west coast. they have to be of a certain range in size for it to be legally trapped. otherwise, if it is either too small or too big it goes back to the ocean.

in ny now and realized there's an international cop convention going on. police from all over the world is everywhere.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK, here's some review for CANTON house at Central Festival 6th floor. Have posted pics of uneaten food. This is the closest Cantonese food you can get in Sin City. Price is quite cheap and place is clean.

I've passed by one or another Canton House branch many times and always wondered about the food. The decor is very spartan. Thanks for the review.

Eek mai nan ko ja kap pai muang thai - maybe I'll try it then.

Your car's scratch hor, depends on how deep. If scratched deep to base layer then must repaint hor - otherwise rust will set in and once that happens, it will spread. Especially near salty climes. At least touch up (this is what I'd do) the scratch if you don't repaint. Leaw te khun.