• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, according to news, Thailand will reopen 1 June 2020, but I doubt so. Probably will be pushed back another month. If your reason for coming to BKK is for a good time, forget it as all forms of entertainment is dead.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I need to plan a Bangkok trip most likely after June.
How the situation at your side at the moment??
As of now, all inward flights stopped (except returning Thais). All kena state quarantine 14 days
No alcohol consumption in restaurants.
All entertainment places (music, ktv) closed still.
And even you got to contend with returning SHN 14 days back here (at your own cost)

So the ladies of the night scene (eg Pattaya) got to morph do something else.
My Pattaya kaki says spells death knell for Pattaya

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got a friend, returning thai, got quarantined in a room with a stranger. All returnees need to share a room with a stranger during quarantine for 14 days. Imagine that. Malls also closed. Curfew from 10pm to 4am. The virus is really sucking the life out of Bangkok.

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, according to news, Thailand will reopen 1 June 2020, but I doubt so. Probably will be pushed back another month. If your reason for coming to BKK is for a good time, forget it as all forms of entertainment is dead.
Bro.
It will be mainly a working trip.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From sunday 17, you can also have foot massage and facial in beauty salon :geek:

Malls head list of venues due to reopen at end of week
National
May 11. 2020
800_c1afba77ba62be5.jpg

By THE NATION

The government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Monday (May 11) revealed the draft list of venues and activities allowed to reopen or restart under the second phase of lockdown easing, which is expected to take place on Sunday, May 17.

The list is not final and more items may be added later, said the centre’s spokesperson Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin. The list will be finalised on May 15.

1. Shopping malls, community malls and department stores – except for cinemas, bowling alleys, fitness centres, water theme parks, fun parks, convention halls and Buddha image shops.

2. Food outlets in office buildings – including restaurants, canteens, beverage shops, ice cream and dessert shops.

3. Retail and wholesale shops.

4, Beauty salons (for treatments that take no longer than two hours), nail salons.

5. Beauty clinics, slimming centres.

6. Outdoor sports stadiums (no spectators allowed).

7. Floral gardens, botanical gardens, museums, public libraries, galleries.

8. Traditional massage shops (foot massage only).

9. Production of TV programmes, advertising and fashion shoots (crew limited to five).

10. Meetings inside and outside workplaces via video conferencing software.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro.
It will be mainly a working trip.
Bro Miller, if its a working trip, take note of what are the industries that are open and the timeline. Basically, you are fine if you are going for meetings with limited number of people. I do that all the time albeit discreetly. If you are a Sinkee and a member of ACE, the folks there can help with meetings or other biz related matters at their place at TRUE Digital Park next to the Punnawithi BTS Station (I think because I drive). If I were you, I'll just wait for the gahment there to declare Thailand open and what are the conditions for reopening. I hear they are thinking about a 300baht levy for all travellers to cover pandemic costs...

1589250807370.png

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Miller, if its a working trip, take note of what are the industries that are open and the timeline. Basically, you are fine if you are going for meetings with limited number of people. I do that all the time albeit discreetly. If you are a Sinkee and a member of ACE, the folks there can help with meetings or other biz related matters at their place at TRUE Digital Park next to the Punnawithi BTS Station (I think because I drive). If I were you, I'll just wait for the gahment there to declare Thailand open and what are the conditions for reopening. I hear they are thinking about a 300baht levy for all travellers to cover pandemic costs...

View attachment 78330

Bro Dredd.
Thank you for the information.
I will monitor the Thailand situation and see what option is best.
Cheers....

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Take away Thai seafood dinner at home. Bought from Somboon Seafood Restaurant.

zc5P7Dd.jpg

Egg plant with salted fish minced pork
3NrfFwC.jpg

Sea snails
V0ip2w5.jpg

m&d crab
RxhBpSk.jpg

Kale with pork belly
n6p6Yti.jpg

Mimosa
SmEBfY5.jpg

Pork knuckles
6nVD0Ho.jpg

Seafood fried rice
qyuKN7M.jpg

zc5P7Dd.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1916292/businesses-gear-for-june-boost

Businesses gear for June boost
Malls may still stay closed, says source
PUBLISHED : 12 MAY 2020 AT 05:00

c1_1916292_200512062655.jpg

A security guard is on duty at MBK shopping centre in Pathumwan district, Bangkok. (Photo by Arnun Chonmahatrakool)

More activities and medium-sized businesses which have been temporarily halted or closed since late March will be allowed to resume next month, as the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) mulls a further easing of government-imposed restrictions ordered to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus disease.

CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin on Monday said the centre -- which is headed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha -- will consider on Friday three broad categories of activities and businesses which will be allowed to resume under what he called the "Phase-2 lockdown".

On the list are advertisement production, sports competitions without spectators, restaurants, food shops in office buildings, public libraries and department stores. Entertainment venues inside malls, such as movie theatres, are excluded.

That said, a government source close to the CCSA said that shopping malls may not be included in the Phase-2 lockdown, which is set to take effect on May 17.

Authorities have set a rough timeline for the gradual lifting of lockdowns, with the third phase likely to be announced in early June. The final phase, which is expected to be announced in mid-June, will see "all businesses and activities" reopening, the source said.

Dr Taweesilp admitted that as of now, the list of activities and businesses which will be allowed to reopen in the second phase of easing are still subject to change.

"Many discussions are still needed among health and security authorities, as well as experts from the National Economic and Social Development Council," the spokesman said at Monday's daily briefing on Covid-19 infections.

They need to discuss the easing of restrictions thoroughly and carefully, as what they suggest will impact public health guidelines, he said.

3629644.jpg

One factor that will be taken into consideration is whether the six types of businesses and activities which have been allowed to resume since May 3 have strictly followed mandatory health guidelines to prevent a new round of Covid-19 infections, he said.

Markets, food shops, street stalls and hair salons (including pet groomers) are among the businesses that were allowed to reopen on May 3. Outdoor exercises and non-contact sports were also allowed.

The latest rounds of inspections conducted on May 10 found that 5,644 or or 30.4% out of the 18,512 venues which reopened on May 3 failed to comply with mandatory health guidelines, with 449 or 2.37% found to be ignoring hygiene practices.

The numbers were slightly lower than violations found between May 3-9, during which 109,425 venues were checked, according to the CCSA.

In the Phase-2 lockdown, though the green light to resume will be given to certain businesses and activities, both operators and people are still required to strictly follow health guidelines.

For example, Dr Taweesilp said, a commercial advertisement shoot can only have five people on set in order to maintain social-distancing guidelines.

The same CCSA source said on Monday he did not believe shopping malls will be allowed to reopen under the Phase-2 lockdown, saying they should instead be among the last businesses to resume normal operations.

Claims which stated that shopping malls will reopen around the middle of this month probably came from "shopping mall owners who wanted to test the waters", he said.

"The reopening of department stores will depend on whether people can take care of themselves," the source said, adding their public awareness is crucial to prevent new outbreaks.

However, according to Dr Taweesilp, hundreds of people have continued to defy the curfew order. As of late on Sunday, the numbers of curfew violators stood at 597.

At least 89 people gathered illegally -- with 55% of cases involving alcohol and parties.

Meanwhile, the CCSA on Monday reported six new coronavirus cases, bringing the total in Thailand to 3,015. No additional deaths were reported, leaving the accumulated toll at 56, said Dr Taweesilp.

Another two people recovered, bringing the total number of discharged patients to 2,796.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Khun Froggy, your pictures making me hungry liao. Somboon prices have gone down or still the same?

Hear during lockdown period which is now there is a 20% discount. I don't really look at the individual pricing anyway whatever you see there costs 3,300 baht. Somboon is still not dine-in yet was told should start 16th.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just a tidbit trivia, now that restaurants allow seating. I did the Cabbages & Condoms restaurant (soi 12 Suk) last year.
Just to be there and done it. The ambience at outdoor part is fine, but the makan (even to this non-foodie's taste buds) was average.
But the signs were fun, and all for a good cause? I couldn't resist taking pic of this

IMG_7897.jpg

http://cabbagesandcondomsbkk.com/

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zero new Covid-19 cases, for the first time in months
National
May 13. 2020
800_eb5a776415160d0.png

There were no new cases of Covid-19 over a 24-hour period, or any deaths, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Wednesday (May 13), marking one of the best days for Thailand since the outbreak of the pandemic.

“This is the first time that there have been no new cases since we started the daily Covid-19 reports,” he said.

It is the best result, thanks to cooperation from the people, but we should not get complacent; we still have to be vigilant," he warned.

Cumulative number of Covid-19 patients remains 3,017 as of Wednesday, of whom 2,844 have recovered and been discharged, 117 remain at hospitals for treatment, while the death toll remains at 56.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Famine fear in Thailand

https://i0.wp.com/www.chiangraitime...id-19-Coronavirus-in-Thailand.jpg?w=850&ssl=1

What’s More Deadly than the Covid-19 Coronavirus in Thailand?
Published 5 mins ago on May 14, 2020
By CTN News

What%E2%80%99s-More-Deadly-than-the-Covid-19-Coronavirus-in-Thailand.jpg

The number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 Coronavirus in Thailand has stopped climbing and on Wednesday Thailand reported zero cases for the first time since March, 2020.

The Thai government’s rapid response to the covid-19 outbreak has been applauded by many in the international community including the World Health Organisation (WHO).

However, halting the rise in infections has come at a huge expense of ordinary Thais. Many Thai have sacrificed their livelihoods for Covid-19. Furthermore many have lost their jobs in complying with government policies to control the virus. Including the shutdown of businesses and the night-time curfew.

Now many have realized that a deadlier threat than Covid-19 has hit their doorsteps in Thailand. Its name is famine.
People committing suicide in Thailand due to covid-19 Coronavirus

Government aid measures, while barely adequate, are still not reaching many of the people. Especially the people who have been hardest hit by this crisis. In a sad irony, the website where people can register for aid is called “We do not leave anyone behind”.

The evidence is overwhelming: People desperate for the Bt5,000 monthly handout recently stormed the Finance Ministry. Long lines have formed outside gold shops as Thais sell what gold they have for cash to buy food. And worst of all, the number of suicides have also risen. Economic recession has sent people into a spiral of stress and despair.

Scholars warn that the number of people driven to suicide by economic hardship could exceed the number of COVID-19 deaths if the government doesn’t react. Thailand is well known for having one of the highest wealth inequalities in the world and also one of the highest suicide rates in Southeast Asia.

In fact, suicide ranks second among the non-natural causes of death in Thailand after traffic accidents.
Many Thai are facing starvation due to coronavirus in Thailand

Thailand’s Prime Minister General Prayut cannot just focus on the virus the Nation reports. He must also manage the lives of 67 million Thais, many of who face starvation. Especially if the current restrictions on daily continue much longer.

General Prayut must make sure that aid measures enable people to afford the basic necessities of life. And above all that the money first goes to the ones who need it most.

He also has to ignore opposition politicians who are criticizing the government’s measures with a hidden agenda. Now is not the time for political debate. Especially when people are facing the very real prospect of hunger and death.

Starving people will resort to drastic actions, including breaking laws and restrictions set by the government to control the outbreak. If Prayut ignores this fact, the repercussions that follow could radically change both the Covid-19 situation in Thailand and the status of his government.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing as evident from long Qs for free food, pawnshops (no chance to redeem, even for small household items).
But redeeming is Thais' kindness in face of adversity with more free pantries

Coronavirus: Dozens of local food banks spring up in Thailand
as virus hits incomes

1 of 2
dummy.gif

Pantry of Sharing locations have sprung up in 44 provinces across Thailand.

"Pantry of Sharing" locations have sprung up in 44 provinces across Thailand.PHOTO: EPA-EFE

Straits Times PUBLISHED
MAY 13, 2020, 3:00 PM SGT

BANGKOK (REUTERS) - Villages and urban communities in Thailand have turned to helping neighbours left jobless due to the coronavirus lockdown by creating dozens of local food banks comprising instant noodles, canned food, rice grains and soap bars.
Within days, " Pantry of Sharing" locations have sprung up in 44 provinces across Thailand and number more than 150 cabinets.
"We realised that many Thais are facing a crisis of no income and no money to buy food due to Covid-19," said Mr Supakit Kulchartvijit.

Mr Supakit initiated the project in Thailand starting with five pantries - four in Bangkok and one in the western province of Rayong - inspired by the Little Free Pantry in the United States.
"We don't want to take a lot because we should also share with others... I only take what I need," said 62-year-old grandmother Gingpetch Lorthong, whose husband is without a job and has to feed five other members in her family.
Although Thailand has eased some restrictions, allowing some businesses to resume, much of the Thai workforce remains out of work and short of cash.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has meanwhile condemned those who emptied the free pantries, Bangkok Post reported on Wednesday (May 13).

"There should not be a repeat of the incidents. We must have think about others. If you continue such abuse, no one will want to donate," the prime minister said on Tuesday (May 12).
Video clips shared online showed some people arriving in cars and on motorcycles to take away the donated items by the bagful.

Related Story
Chilli paste to haircuts: Thai tourism workers improvise as coronavirus hits travel
Related Story
Coronavirus microsite: Get latest updates, videos and graphics
Related Story
Coronavirus explainers: What you should know to protect yourself
Related Story
Coronavirus visual guide: Interactive graphics on the pandemic

The Prime Minister said other recipients should look out for and protest against these hoarders when they come across them.
He said people should learn to share and have compassion for others, the Post reported.
Thailand on Wednesday reported no new coronavirus cases for the first time since March 9.
The country has 3,017 cases and 56 deaths since the outbreak escalated in January.