• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A few thoughts about Punngol East BE

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few thoughts about the Punggol East By-election

Posted on January 13, 2013by vjoaquim
Hi, I have wanted to start a blog since a long time ago. However, for one reason or another, I have not started one until today.

A Facebook user posted a comment on the Facebook Wall of Theonlinecitizen. One of the points he said was: “…The PAP is still waiting for the WP to make a wrong move and involve them in lawsuits to bankrupt them. Those advocating a confrontational stance failed to or under-estimated the ruthlessness and basic instincts of our govt…”

Since I did not agree completely with the comment, I responded with my own comment. Surprisingly, I managed to collect 34 Likes for my first long comment on Facebook. So, instead of having my thoughts lost somewhere in cyberspace, I like to post them here as the first post of this blog.

As an introduction, I like to say I love Singapore, a beautiful island that I call my home. Sadly, the government polices (since the 1990s) are not the best for our country. I am not pro-PAP, not pro-WP, and not pro-SDP. I like to say that I am pro-SINGAPORE.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
― Edmund Burke

Ok, below is my first post of my brand new blog. This post was originally a comment in reply to another Facebook user, so please read it in that context:

The only place in Singapore where you can speak openly and not be sued is in the Parliament, known as Parliamentary immunity. It is a privilege that comes with being elected. That is why it is sad to see the WP MPs not making full use of their privilege. It is a waste of the people’s trust and faith in them. Contrary to what is said in many of the comments on Facebook, I do not think it is easier to speak and debate in Parliament than to manage a Town Council. To debate well in Parliament, you must be smart (think of the caliber of our first generation PAP leaders like the late Dr Toh Chin Chye, Dr Goh Keng Swee, and Dr Richard Hu etc.), well-read and experienced on a wide range of current (and historical) local and world affairs, courageous, able to think on your feet and rebut intelligently and convincingly. Of course it involves a lot of hard work to read, research, analyze, present and debate your case in the Parliament. You can employ a top-notch property management manager to manage a town for $15,000 a month, but you cannot employ an MP. MP = Member of Parliament. An MP is elected by the people to voice their concerns in the Parliament and to help make good laws. In many countries, an MP does not manage the town council, the mayor does that.

I think you have confused debating with confronting. Think how much skill, experience and knowledge that Obama and Romney must possess in order to debate each other during the last US Presidential debates. That is what is meant by a debate not a confrontation. Just because the current government is ruthless, does it mean all you can do is like what LTK has been doing for the last twenty years. He either keeps quiet or says “no comment”. In fact, it is because the current government is ruthless, that we need to elect MPs who are confident, brave and courageous, and can debate well in Parliament, the only place where they can speak openly about difficult issues without getting sued. There are so many existing bad policies in Singapore, the high HDB prices, the too lenient immigration policy resulting in overcrowding and job competition by too many foreigners, the non-transparency about our national financial reserves, the high CPF withdrawal age, unaffordable healthcare services especially for the elderly, high ministerial salaries, high COEs, ERPs and MRT breakdowns etc. And you think you can wait for the WP MPs to grow up and debate these issues in five years time???? Are we trying to train a WP MP on-the-job like the way PAP is training Tin Pei Ling?? PAP has so many seats, they can afford to have a few quiet MPs. But for the opposition, every seat is precious and yet they are not speaking up??? If there is an average of one MRT breakdown per month now, if the WP MPs do not speak up NOW and get some improvements done, go figure how many MRT breakdowns we will have in five years time.

That is why I cannot understand why everyone is making the SDP the bad guy. It is like a herd mentality. To be fair, you forgot that when YSL left Hougang, SDP was the first party to say they would NOT be contesting in Hougang because WP was the incumbent. But this time, WP was not the incumbent in PE, so it is fair game for everyone. If WP candidate is better, vote WP. If SDP candidate is better, vote SDP. If SDP fields Dr Paul Tambyah, I would consider him a better candidate than WP’s Lee LiLian. Say whatever we want, good brain and qualifications (besides a good heart and conscience), are important criteria for an MP. Do you think Lee LiLian (or any other WP candidate), if elected, will dare (or capable) to speak on any issue without getting an approval from LTK, who himself does not know how to debate.

In my opinion, voting for WP vs PAP is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. WP is only good at solving the “symptoms”. LTK does not have the heart, the brain nor the will to help solve and cure the larger fundamental and critical “disease” problem in Singapore now. The WP says they take care of bread and butter issues. Please tell me how are bread and butter issues independent from national policies??? If GST is high, it increases the cost of living. If immigration policy is too lenient, it leads to overcrowding and deterioration of physical infrastructure, overcompetition for available jobs and high housing prices. If healthcare policy is not right, it leads to unaffordable healthcare services etc. For e.g. lets say if a Singaporean is unemployed because of unfair competition from foreigners, (i.e. a bad immigration policy), then no matter how well you manage the town council and talk about bread and butter issues, this person’s life will still be miserable because he does not even have any income to buy bread.

You should be thankful that there are still some Singaporeans like CSJ who would dedicate their lives to protect the oppressed and underclass in Singapore by fighting for good national policies. Even if CSJ is not 100% right, he is a good intelligent man with good intentions who has suffered much under the hands of the government. I am disappointed that LTK could not be benevolent like an elder brother (considering our Asian culture) and a respectable statesman, and set a good example of being less selfish and less greedy. LTK could be classier to at least accept CSJ’s request to talk. I believe the old saying, “Pride goes before a fall”. If LTK is a humble person, he should realize his success today is not just because of his own talent, hard work and whatever else. Many notable Singaporeans (and their respective families) in the past had suffered much pain, loss, shame and sacrifice to soften the hard political ground in Singapore bit by bit, so much so that he could enjoy his current position. For example, I do not think LTK could hold a candle to the late Dr Lim Hock Siew, who suffered many years in prison and yet remained a gracious gentleman till his death without any arrogance.

Thank you for reading.

vjoaquim

Last edited:

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I cannot understand why everyone is making the SDP the bad guy. It is like a herd mentality. To be fair, you forgot that when YSL left Hougang, SDP was the first party to say they would NOT be contesting in Hougang because WP was the incumbent. But this time, WP was not the incumbent in PE, so it is fair game for everyone.

People are fast to forget the good things... The above is a fair statement.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This orchid chap does seem to have a grasp of politics. Childish arguments. Seems to think that immunity in parliament means a license to say anything. Does not understand that there are consequences and that the other party also has the same avenue and they have the numbers.

Seems lost to the fact that despite helming SDP since 1992, CSJ has not achieved a single seat, along the way lost 3 seats that he inherited when he took over the party. This guys seem to think that SDP's and CSJ' fortune was controlled by WP and if not for WP, they would sitting in parliament.

There is no doubt that WP is gun-shy when it comes to parliament. If it continues, they will be thrown out if voters can find alternate good opposition candidates. But SDP and CSJ seems to have this entitlement mentality that they have the best candidate and therefore the right to claim the high ground in opposition.

So what were SDP and CSJ doing for 20 years to come this? Their supporters always had 3 usual stock answers;
1) persecuted by the Govt
2) SCM against them

And when it comes to the voters, this always comes out
3) SDP and CSJ are ahead of the times.

SDP primary issue has been the failure to engage voters. In Nov 2012 shortly after his release from bankruptcy both Chee and KJ flew to the US to deliver speeches in Yale. Imagine the moment this guy is released, he went back to his old ways. How about flying to Punggol to work the ground. To meet it is a slap to the face of those who donated funds to get him out of bankruptcy. He must think that Singapore voters are all stupid.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP primary issue has been the failure to engage voters.

Fair statement. No substitute for ground work. Voters must see you, know you, be comfortable with you before they vote for you. All the more so in the heartland. The netizens who know what the SDP stands for are still in the minority.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This orchid chap does seem to have a grasp of politics. Childish arguments. Seems to think that immunity in parliament means a license to say anything. Does not understand that there are consequences and that the other party also has the same avenue and they have the numbers.

Parliamentary immunity was gradually shredded to bits after JBJ entered Parliament. You can get censured, fined, etc, and the whole SCM will be mobilized to black-wash you (opposite of white-wash).

Parliamentary immunity only applies to PAP members who are protected by their own party which alters the laws and applies it as it sees it.

Opposition parties play by a far stricter set of rules. They certainly should not believe they can say anything they like just because they are in Parliament. It is a sad, very sorry state of affairs. Underscores how much we need to break PAP's dominance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This prick has no idea what he talking about. CSJ has been censured and fined by Parliament and I am sure most people must be wondering when, why and for what when he did not even get a seat. The dumbfuck got caught lying and he did have have parliamentary immunity. He and that moron Indian lawyer with the British wife ( the name escapes me) both got whacked for their loose tongue.

Parliamentary immunity was gradually shredded to bits after JBJ entered Parliament. You can get censured, fined, etc, and the whole SCM will be mobilized to black-wash you (opposite of white-wash).

Parliamentary immunity only applies to PAP members who are protected by their own party which alters the laws and applies it as it sees it.

Opposition parties play by a far stricter set of rules. They certainly should not believe they can say anything they like just because they are in Parliament. It is a sad, very sorry state of affairs. Underscores how much we need to break PAP's dominance.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I cannot understand why everyone is making the SDP the bad guy. It is like a herd mentality. To be fair, you forgot that when YSL left Hougang, SDP was the first party to say they would NOT be contesting in Hougang because WP was the incumbent. But this time, WP was not the incumbent in PE, so it is fair game for everyone. If WP candidate is better, vote WP. If SDP candidate is better, vote SDP. If SDP fields Dr Paul Tambyah, I would consider him a better candidate than WP’s Lee LiLian. Say whatever we want, good brain and qualifications (besides a good heart and conscience), are important criteria for an MP. Do you think Lee LiLian (or any other WP candidate), if elected, will dare (or capable) to speak on any issue without getting an approval from LTK, who himself does not know how to debate.

The SDP should keep Paul Tambyah under wraps. Best time to expose him is in a straight fight against the PAP in a general election, not in a 3 corner fight where he will be whack upside down. That is a bit like getting your Ferrari into an accident.

Regarding WP speaking up in parliament, the WP tried to make one or two speeches before they were criticised for plagiarism. This is a very very unfair charge because by right political parties should be able to raise in parliament something they believe in, regardless of whether they wrote it themselves. Even the PAP should be allowed to do that. What this means is that the ground is tilted against all opposition parties. If they don't have the resources to do independent work, they all get fucked.

Last edited:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard that PT when to have some kopi with some political veterans. They advised him against standing. He is likely the person CSJ was referring to who has since dropped out.

AYG is also unlikely to want to fight this one. He rather be doing background work for his buddy and is rightly pissed his buddy has not been let back in.

This leaves only VW who I am confident will get slaughtered in a 3CF. The recentt antics of CSJ have significantly increased the probability SDP will lose deposit if they push forward with VW.

Final decision of course still with Maurice. The lack of enthusiasm on th part of heavyweights linked to him suggest he is not keen to proceed. If SDP defies him, SDP might itself with a lot less resources in the future. It would also strengthen the case of those who feel a new party is the way to go for 2016.

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

Its the same PT/SDP trend of thought , if they were in Parliament, they could do more challenge more, talk more pressure more, the issue is that however much you talk, whether its 87-0, 81-6, 77-10. It only starts to matter when its 58/29. The logic of parliamentary maths dictate that VW or TJS with the time strictly allocated to each speaker is not going to be able to do that much more except provide more entertainment.

Locke

This prick has no idea what he talking about. CSJ has been censured and fined by Parliament and I am sure most people must be wondering when, why and for what when he did not even get a seat. The dumbfuck got caught lying and he did have have parliamentary immunity. He and that moron Indian lawyer with the British wife ( the name escapes me) both got whacked for their loose tongue.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
AYG is also unlikely to want to fight this one. He rather be doing background work for his buddy and is rightly pissed his buddy has not been let back in.

On one hand it's not very constructive to shut out somebody as big as Tan Jee Say. On the other hand, Tan Jee Say's presidential campaign is probably one of the worst mistakes made by any opposition party member in recent memory, even worse than Chee's recent pronouncement. Consider what would have happened if Tan Cheng Bok became our president - the damage to the PAP would have been far greater than anything the opposition could directly inflict on the PAP. There is a reason not to let Tan Jee Say back in, because even the SDP is not a hotel you can leave and check back in any time you like.

In recent times SDP looked a bit like being a party that was moving away from being radical street fighters to merely a leftwing party. If it did so, there is a lot of political ground there to capture. IT's pretty sad.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

Its the same PT/SDP trend of thought , if they were in Parliament, they could do more challenge more, talk more pressure more, the issue is that however much you talk, whether its 87-0, 81-6, 77-10. It only starts to matter when its 58/29. The logic of parliamentary maths dictate that VW or TJS with the time strictly allocated to each speaker is not going to be able to do that much more except provide more entertainment.

Locke

A superminority in parliament is like a very very loud blog where you can raise issues. It is a great channel for advocating issues that is not replaceable by anything else.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....trust the elite forummers to gather here and stroke each other.....shiok sendiri.
just 2 weeks ago, the same pricks were doing deep analysing and suggesting that WP should give way to sdp if so and so was fielded; etc; etc...
now sdp has become taboo and a favourite whipping boy of the same pricks...
in hokkien ...this is known as "mouth talk, lumpar shiok"...

ps....i do not fabricate anything...everything is on records in sbf.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
from whats been drumming up in the propaganda press & new media so far, it looks set to be a multi-corner fight. how many corners, only to be reckoned after nomination day. we should already know by now, some individuals who lost election deposit in the past remain adamant on contesting despite the odds. at the same time, we've also seen a few sideshow entertainment who has identity crisis collecting the nomination papers.

who r the potential contenders right now?

WP's LLL secured 41% in GE2011 despite a 3 cornered fight, so there's a chance that vote tally can improve for her for this BE. so far, adhering to the election regulations, under good level headed party leadership & making necessary preparations for nomination day. taking things a step at a time.

PAP's ass dr, KPK is only 3wk old in the all white jersey, says he doesnt need sympathy votes, says the same things as the loser from hougang BE... that he is his own man, not reliant on party heavy weights blah blah blah. for some unknown reason, before he is officially nominated, is suddenly a very free man, able to walk the ground & be seen shaking hands with total strangers.

SDP has yet to officially announce their candidate, but in lieu of their sentiments about opposition collaboration deal or no deal... has put them in bad light. will they name their man for the job, will they find the funds to run the show... or not, still remains a mystery

RP made it known that KJ is their man for the job. maybe, he is their only choice?? given JBJ's legacy, this man has big shoes to fill. he too is seen putting in hours of hand shaking, meeting & greeting in the region.

there's no doubt that some of the faces featured in GE2011 will very likely be nominated for this BE, on account that they have experience in campaigns & the run of the mill. at the end of the day, lets just hope the voters have learnt from the outcome of the fantastic 4, that resulted in us having the not so popular col.sanders holding the highest pay job, fulfilling KPI not very different from ahmeng.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That was what happen when JBJ was in parleement,,,he attack PAP too hard,,whereas CST and LTK in there,,go on the attack,,but only when they had credible evidence,,,,that was also when MPs have to look after town council matters,,,to disadvantage JBJ..but LTK and CST turn the tables on PAP and these 2 constituencies have the better run town councils compared to PAP wards