• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A commando-cum-competitive runner comments on Soh Rui Yong; separately, a Pes F looking guy takes up Soh RuiYong's 2.4km challenge

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

241439670_10159553053692320_132758065760851007_n.jpg

Dear friends who are following Soh Rui Yong’s open challenge, I would like to offer my thoughts from both a commando’s and a competitive runner’s perspective.

As competitive runners, our primary responsibility is to be the fastest athlete we can be. Our athletic life revolves mainly around getting sufficient sleep, taking care of our nutritional needs, and putting in the hard work in training, that is specifically optimized for our performance.
As commandos, we require a wide range of skills and a high degree of fitness to carry out our duties and responsibilities. We need to spend a lot of time and effort to perfect our fieldcraft, master our airborne drills, learn combat skills, practice our marksmanship, just to name a few, you get the drift. I am proud to say that most commandos have/had the necessary fitness (speed, strength, stamina) and precision to complete our missions.

As you can see, commandos and runners lead very different lifestyles to achieve very different objectives, and hence, naturally we become skilled at what we train for. The point I am trying to make is, we should not and cannot measure a commando’s abilities by how fast a commando runs. We run fast enough.

And, as one of the fastest commandos, I do not and will never claim that I am one of the best commandos. There are too many commandos, past and present, who can complete their tasks much more effectively than I do. I was just fortunate to have received specialized athletic coaching prior to army enlistment.

So why is there an open challenge between Soh and Army/Commandos?

After Soh posted his record-breaking run, there were several non-commandos who tried to discredit Soh’s effort by saying, they know someone from commandos who ran faster.

Soh’s 2.4km achievement took many, many years of dedication, blood, and sweat to accomplish. Most of us don’t even stay in a job for that long. Now, discrediting his achievement is akin to our colleagues taking credit for our work. Let’s be fair and celebrate each others’ achievements.

Therefore, Soh is trying to fight for what he deserves by issuing the open challenge.

In the end, we, commandos got dragged into this saga by the “keyboard warriors”. Nasty/unpleasant/insulting words were exchanged all over the internet.

One of the things being said about Soh was, he is a show-off. What they don’t understand is that posting achievements and gathering attention is part of his job to gain sponsorship contracts (apart from the actual running). As a coach, I too, show off my students’ achievements in my resume.

“He is too attention-seeking”. The more eyeballs he gets, the greater his sponsorship deals are. It is his livelihood. I don’t see sponsors knocking on my door for my achievements, while slower athletes have been awarded sponsorship because of the attention they get.

As for commandos, let’s keep our cool and let keyboard warriors say what they want. When we hear a song on the radio that we dislike, we switch channels. Any reaction/response to the open challenge will probably cause more anger and division between different communities in Singapore.

Congrats to Pocari Sweat Singapore, the biggest winner in this saga.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies are indeed “courageous” keyboard warriors but cowards when push cums to shove during erection to vote out pappies. how many decades already?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
sinkies are indeed “courageous” keyboard warriors but cowards when push cums to shove during erection to vote out pappies. how many decades already?
You see the salty comments from the people when others do take up action.

Who wants to serve these salty people?

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkies cannot take it when someone shows off their achievements. Where do Sinkies rank in world happiness index again?

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
want to accept challenge also must see ownself capabilities. mai xia suay. if you dun even know cotton comes from sheep, you want to be a minister?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This 2.4 km saga is getting more and more silly. They can run their 2.4 km duel side by side sucking each other's cocks for all I care. I just want Geylang to reopen.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheebye talk so much for what? Ask the news crew to go to a stadium and film u running and clock your timing la cheebye!

KNN.... phua cheebye useless sinkie show so many medals, as if he's showing off his Pokemon haul.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For once I agree with a red beret.
But the big picture is often overlooked- all these running, commando training , has not lead to a better outcome for our society as a whole.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does running 2.4 km in record time a measure of the capability to fight. Talibans never run 2.4 km but with sandals and towel helmets they fuck the so called world most powerful army. SAF is a fucking joke.