• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

98.7 DJ Sacked For Having Local Accent

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stand corrected then, this forum has a very high English proficiency indeed. If only I had paid more attention during English classes. :o

Crazy English. :smile:

Last edited:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If only I had paid more attention during English classes. :o

Crazy English. :smile:

Schools don't teach such things in the past. They go "thematic"; realised their mistakes and now going back to grammar. Unfortunately, the over zealeous officers-in-charge are overdoing it. The new Pr school books on grammar is so profound that even adults find it hard to grasp. Most teachers do not understand what they are teaching. The poor students complete assignments through "patterns" and guesses. Nothing learnt nothing gained; another failure ....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Language is a living thing and its tends to evolve. Whether the approach is technical in terms of grammar building blocks or thematic, it must be done with students reading extensively a variety of books which are shortlisted for their excellent and progressive use of the language.

Unfortunately, they are assigned 2 books per year and it is supposed to be a done deal. No different to teaching the theory of soccer in the classroom but no one has physically played the games or the number of games are limited.

Schools don't teach such things in the past. They go "thematic"; realised their mistakes and now going back to grammar. Unfortunately, the over zealeous officers-in-charge are overdoing it. The new Pr school books on grammar is so profound that even adults find it hard to grasp. Most teachers do not understand what they are teaching. The poor students complete assignments through "patterns" and guesses. Nothing learnt nothing gained; another failure ....

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

You may be right, I don't remember learning much grammar during my school days.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Teruk" is correct Malay spelling for the word. "Terok" is the Singlish spelling. :biggrin:

Its the quality of the teaching of English. We all know that English is taught in every school and that includes Muslims.

There are 2 issues here

1) She clearly has no clue that her English is "terok"

2) Her bosses also do seem to point out that it is her bad English and not her accent. I suspect they themselves are poor in the subject and thus recruited her in the first place. When the complaints started coming in, they were in no position to help her to correct it or make her understand what the issue is.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may be right, I don't remember learning much grammar during my school days.

Checklist for teaching and learning English:

1. Alphabet and numbers
2. Pronunciation and spelling
3. Nouns and pronouns
4. Singular and plural
5. Masculine, feminine and neuter
6. Verbs and adjectives
7. Adverbs and conjunctions
8. Past, present, future, continuous and perfect tenses
9. Grammar, punctuation and sentences
10. Conversation and essays

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Checklist for teaching and learning English:

1. Alphabet and numbers
2. Pronunciation and spelling
3. Nouns and pronouns
4. Singular and plural
5. Masculine, feminine and neuter
6. Verbs and adjectives
7. Adverbs and conjunctions
8. Past, present, future, continuous and perfect tenses
9. Grammar, punctuation and sentences
10. Conversation and essays
conditional if nt in syllabus? ... :p

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'teruk' is new spelling ... b4 dey changed it donkey ears ago, it was 'terok' ... :p

Is that so...oh...

Anyway, for example, kampung and tanjung, that's the standard Malay spelling I understand. However, it's usually spelt as kampong and tanjong in Singapore. My Malay friends in Singapore said that they're required to spell them as kampung and tanjung for exam purposes.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is that so...oh...

Anyway, for example, kampung and tanjung, that's the standard Malay spelling I understand. However, it's usually spelt as kampong and tanjong in Singapore. My Malay friends in Singapore said that they're required to spell them as kampung and tanjung for exam purposes.
can recall a couple mor changes ...

ch changed 2 c ... eg ... chaching --> cacing
e changed 2 i ... eg ... lebeh --> lebih

last time, oso gt é oso ... pronounced as 'e tanda' ... last time, lebih was actually lébeh ...

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i told you guys before that fake foreign accent will bring you good luck, try talking tikolog, you will be king.

in orchard road, fake any accent if you need help, sure work, dont believe? just try, never say you are local sinkaporeans, you can say you are new citizen.

say you nyonya or baba also can...... you speak hokkien, you finished

Why Fake it?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
conditional if nt in syllabus? ... :p

For conditional, interrogatives, inifinitives, transitives etc,...pass the basics to go primary two first. :biggrin:

By primary three, got expletives. :eek:

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

last time, oso gt é oso ... pronounced as 'e tanda' ... last time, lebih was lébeh ...

Thanks for the info. :smile: I think that I can roughly recall some changes too, e.g. baharu = bahru = baru, sahaja = saja etc.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..roughly recall some changes too, e.g. baharu = bahru = baru, sahaja = saja etc.
po2wq said:
Digress a bit, changes came about from attempts to unify (or standardise) contemporary bahasa in msia and indonesia. "Melindo", but todate still no go. We probably took the cue from across causeway

http://www.bahasa-malaysia-simple-fun.com/history-malay-language.html
scroobal said:
Language is a living thing and its tends to evolve. Whether the approach is technical in terms of grammar building blocks or thematic, it must be done with students reading extensively a variety of books which are shortlisted for their excellent and progressive use of the language.
Seee3 said:
..over zealeous officers-in-charge are overdoing it. The new Pr school books on grammar is so profound that even adults find it hard to grasp. Most teachers do not understand what they are teaching. The poor students complete assignments through "patterns" and guesses
Small wonder, learning standard english can be a chore. Beyond reading (written), shd also extend to oral eg good telly programs, news.

Last edited:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mediacorps Radio 98.7 sack a local non-eurasian DJ becos she does not use a fake American accent in her program like the rest. Farkup GLCs is going to the dogs!

Not surprising. Mediacorp was simply pandering to the taste of the local Chink population.

Take a look at the SG Chink today. They lack class and culture and ape the white man in almost everything they do from the way they talk ot the way they behave.

9 out of 10 chinks have English first names. Some of them even have an English middle name on top of that. Most of them have names like Angel Tan, Derek Ho.. some are downright terrible like Tannery Chan or Cradle Tan. How often do you come across a name like Chow Ah Seng these days??? Most Chinks also talk through their nose with that fake American slang.

If you want to piss a Chink off just call him by his Chinese name. :biggrin:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not surprising. Mediacorp was simply pandering to the taste of the local Chink population.

Take a look at the SG Chink today. They lack class and culture and ape the white man in almost everything they do from the way they talk ot the way they behave.

9 out of 10 chinks have English first names. Some of them even have an English middle name on top of that. Most of them have names like Angel Tan, Derek Ho.. some are downright terrible like Tannery Chan or Cradle Tan. How often do you come across a name like Chow Ah Seng these days??? Most Chinks also talk through their nose with that fake American slang.

If you want to piss a Chink off just call him by his Chinese name. :biggrin:

You are absolutely right. PAN LING LING's son is named BECKHAM, which is not even a first name! Dumb dumb! I hope he sucks in soccer when he grows up.

http://archive.mediacorptv.sg/ask_e_star/ask_lingling.asp

hi, Lingling. Why ever did you name your son Beckham? I know you like the player, but it`s kinda weird for your kid to go around with a name like that. Why not David? I mean, we all know that Dennis Bergkamp was named after Denis Law..... Anyway, luckily you didn`t name your kid Schmeichel or Scholes or Bosnich or Sheringham, *grin*. Anyway, could you teach him to appreciate better quality football than the English Premier League? All the best to you & your family.
posted by curious on 11/16/2000 8:57:23 PM

Lingling: I named my son "Beckham" because I think it's a unique name, and it also goes well with Shinan's surname "Wee". If my son wants to, yes, I will teach him to appreciate football. Thanks for the advice!

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are absolutely right. PAN LING LING's son is named BECKHAM, which is not even a first name! Dumb dumb! I hope he sucks in soccer when he grows up.

Pan Ling Ling is an artless Chink, naming her son as you would a pet dog. By the way, my neighbor's JRT is named Beckham.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pan Ling Ling is an artless Chink, naming her son as you would a pet dog. By the way, my neighbor's JRT is named Beckham.

they should standardised the names... i call all indians ah neh (sometimes i add chee bye in front) ... dun care whether they local or imported:cool:

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal

It depends on which 'past' you're referring to. During my Dad's time, they were big on grammer. He completed only Sec3 but his language proficiency beats most youngsters today (even some of those tertiary educated ones don't seem to know proper grammar). Have you noticed many of those above 50 years of age can speak good grammatical English (even though not very educated)? The decline in grammar is a recent phenomenon - probably the last 20 to 30 years. MOE now realises this and are trying hard to make amends. Coming back to the DJ in question, she obviously has no inkling about her bad English. However, I don't blame her since she's been educated that way. Having said that, I still believe there must be some other political reasons behind the sacking.