• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

80% of Sinkies are poor with at most 20k in banks

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that it's time that the ministers give back some of their pay to help the poor in SG.
Would you agree to my masterplan? :smile:

Yo, bro, it's good to hear from you.

Anyway on your masterplan, do you think there is a good chance of that happening?.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that it's time that the ministers give back some of their pay to help the poor in SG.
Would you agree to my masterplan? :smile:

I won't even contemplate that... If they can give back some the poor's money (CPF) to help the poor in SG, I'll be very thankful!

jw5

Loyal
I won't even contemplate that... If they can give back some the poor's money (CPF) to help the poor in SG, I'll be very thankful!
It's always important to think bigger and better.
That's the way to grow and improve. :smile:

jw5

Loyal
I am not counting on it. Better to rely on oneself.
Oh sure, we all need to rely on ourselves.
Can't expect any government especially this one to give you any handouts or favours.
But if this does happen, it will be a benefit to all and the people who make it happen will be heroes to all those they help.
I'm waiting for that day. :smile:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh sure, we all need to rely on ourselves.
Can't expect any government especially this one to give you any handouts or favours.
But if this does happen, it will be a benefit to all and the people who make it happen will be heroes to all those they help.
I'm waiting for that day. :smile:

Good luck then.

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, now you are saying Sinkie is BETTER THAN 1st world?
In a country with no social security for its people, with $245k that's all a Sinkie have, that is truly poor. One cannot afford to be unemployed in Sinkie. In USA or Canada, even if one is unemployed, it is the government who is worried, not the unemployed. That is 1st world, my friend.

My friend, take Australia as an example. It is well known and publicised by the Govt, that by the time you or I retire, there will be no old-age pension. This is a fact of life, and why they now have the compulsory superannuation scheme. The thing with is, no job, no super... therefore the unemployed can collect social security (for a limited time only, before it's cut off if you don't get a job - no longer is it a bottemless pit) - so they live hand to mouth now, and are even poorer when retired, with no super, no property, nothing to compare to CPF...

Don't believe all that is advertised about welfare and social security in many countries... most countries no longer offer a 'free ride' to the dole bludger... furthermore, in the USA, if u're unemployed and on welfare, you really better hope u don't get seriously sick - no medical insurance, u may as well check straight in at the morgue.

Finally, I didn't say '1st world countries' were better or worse - the writer to which I responded to did, my friend.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I dunno about the welfare thing, it seems good to losers or sinkies.

The economy will be healthy if a person can pay back what he owes and/or enjoy the rewards that he rightfully earns.

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend, take Australia as an example. It is well known and publicised by the Govt, that by the time you or I retire, there will be no old-age pension. This is a fact of life, and why they now have the compulsory superannuation scheme. The thing with is, no job, no super... therefore the unemployed can collect social security (for a limited time only, before it's cut off if you don't get a job - no longer is it a bottemless pit) - so they live hand to mouth now, and are even poorer when retired, with no super, no property, nothing to compare to CPF...

Don't believe all that is advertised about welfare and social security in many countries... most countries no longer offer a 'free ride' to the dole bludger... furthermore, in the USA, if u're unemployed and on welfare, you really better hope u don't get seriously sick - no medical insurance, u may as well check straight in at the morgue.

Finally, I didn't say '1st world countries' were better or worse - the writer to which I responded to did, my friend.

The writer you responded to happened to be me, my friend. Now, Australia is attracting loads of Asian emigrants. Why do you leave? If you think CPF is a good scheme, think again.

Let me put it another way for easier understanding. In countries without CPF type induced savings, it seems like people don't save voluntarily. Now, that is because there is social parachute for old age. In USA, there is 401k, as example. Yet, for those who choose to work hard and be innovative, the environment allows entrepreneurial people to make it rich in life. When I mean rich, I mean bloody rich.

People in Australia remains poor and penniless because they choose to. Yet, the government has social security and other initiatives that are easy to apply for. In Singapore, our CDC schemes had failed and without the conviction of Sinkie government, which had never really believe in handing aid to those in need, it has been reported and a fact that many in hardship finds it difficulty or impossible to get aid from CDC. If you remember the case of that man who jumped track after finding out that CDC cannot help him, with a family to provide for, falling on hard times in Sinkiepore is tremendously difficult for one to rebounce.

Sinkiepore's government had about killed most entrepreneurial initiatives of Sinkies. As I had worked out, on an average, Sinkies would have $250k. This is poor if you considers that beyond this, you are really on your own.

Your example of medical insurance is flawed. Medisave is not insurance. It is your own money. If it is Medishield or Eldershiled, then it is insufficient. With medical costs so high, it is better to be dead than to be sick.

Think about it this way. If Sinkiepore does not have welfare provisions, then it should not be involved in the economy and stifle private enterprise and stifle entreprenuerial initiatives by its many rules, laws and by-laws. The climate is not conducive for private businesses. Most SMEs survive from hand to mouth and never really grow big. The cost of starting and maintaining a business is costly and the economy is not large enough to sustain it.

Most Sinkies will be marginalised one way or another. Can you imagine that even though a student has 4B in his 'A' level, he does not have a place in a local uni? Because the government limits the number of locals to 60% and the rest of the places are given to foreign students. That is Sinkiepore's version of 1st world for you, my friend. :biggrin:

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
The writer you responded to happened to be me, my friend. Now, Australia is attracting loads of Asian emigrants. Why do you leave? If you think CPF is a good scheme, think again.

Let me put it another way for easier understanding. In countries without CPF type induced savings, it seems like people don't save voluntarily. Now, that is because there is social parachute for old age. In USA, there is 401k, as example. Yet, for those who choose to work hard and be innovative, the environment allows entrepreneurial people to make it rich in life. When I mean rich, I mean bloody rich.

People in Australia remains poor and penniless because they choose to. Yet, the government has social security and other initiatives that are easy to apply for. In Singapore, our CDC schemes had failed and without the conviction of Sinkie government, which had never really believe in handing aid to those in need, it has been reported and a fact that many in hardship finds it difficulty or impossible to get aid from CDC. If you remember the case of that man who jumped track after finding out that CDC cannot help him, with a family to provide for, falling on hard times in Sinkiepore is tremendously difficult for one to rebounce.

Sinkiepore's government had about killed most entrepreneurial initiatives of Sinkies. As I had worked out, on an average, Sinkies would have $250k. This is poor if you considers that beyond this, you are really on your own.

Your example of medical insurance is flawed. Medisave is not insurance. It is your own money. If it is Medishield or Eldershiled, then it is insufficient. With medical costs so high, it is better to be dead than to be sick.

Think about it this way. If Sinkiepore does not have welfare provisions, then it should not be involved in the economy and stifle private enterprise and stifle entreprenuerial initiatives by its many rules, laws and by-laws. The climate is not conducive for private businesses. Most SMEs survive from hand to mouth and never really grow big. The cost of starting and maintaining a business is costly and the economy is not large enough to sustain it.

Most Sinkies will be marginalised one way or another. Can you imagine that even though a student has 4B in his 'A' level, he does not have a place in a local uni? Because the government limits the number of locals to 60% and the rest of the places are given to foreign students. That is Sinkiepore's version of 1st world for you, my friend. :biggrin:

My friend - you keep putting words in my mouth by your own inferences.

Firstly, I made no mention of Medisave, Medishield or Eldershield. In fact, I made no mention of SG medical benefits. I put forward an example from one of the countries to which you were comparing. I'm not sure then, how the example is flawed - I will expand a little on my example of the US system - if you are severely injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be lucky enough to receive some emergency life-saving treatment. Then once it has been established that you do not have insurance, or the money to cover hospital expenses, you are (quite literally) thrown onto the street, regardless of your condition... I repeat - this is an example, my friend, and I am drawing no comparisons to SG (which I still have not done).

Secondly, to say that Australians remain "poor and penniless because they choose to", is insulting to many real battlers, who may have lost their job due to technological advances, offshoring, or any other of the multitude of reasons that have forced such a high unemployment rate. I have a very dear friend (tradesman), who's trade is no longer applicable to today's technological and global economy. He has been out of work for almost one and a half years, and is doing his best (through programs such as jobstart, which is one of the programs to which I'm sure you are referring) to train in another vocation and try and get a very lowly paid labouring position. The jobstart program is in effect, due to the fact that he (along with many other Aussies) was paying almost 40% tax before he lost his job. So one could argue that it is his own tax-invested money he is now drawing upon. I should also point out that the 'less than poverty line' income from the jobstart program comes nowhere near supporting the needs of his 3-child family, and they are living day-to-day often wondering where the next meal will come from. This is not his choice, but a very unfortunate situation. Like I said before, do not believe everything you read. When he reaches retirement age, he will not have superannuation or govt-funded pension to survive. When one is not working as I already pointed out, there is no superannuation accumulation for one's old age. He is extremely concerned (along with many other ageing members of society) as to how he will survive in his twilight years.

This is applicable to many other battlers, not just my good friend and his family - "choose to be poor" - I recommend if you travel abroad you are careful who you say this to... some battlers are passionate about their struggle and current misfortunes.

Thirdly, I stress quite strongly, I am not and have not, drawn any comparisons to Singapore - it is you that continues to do so, my firend.

Finally to answer your opening question, my reasons for living abroad, are business and family related, and are numerous (inc. the fact that I travel throughout (and outside) the region 2 weeks out of every 4 and wish to be with my family as much as possible). The full reasons behind this decision, my friend, are quite frankly none of your business. Not every person living in a foreign country do so because they like or dislike a particular country (contrary to popular belief - I'm a little bewildered by the fact that many people on this forum ask me 'why' I choose to be in SG... I never get asked this question anywhere else or in any other setting - professional or personal).

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend - you keep putting words in my mouth by your own inferences.

Firstly, I made no mention of Medisave, Medishield or Eldershield. In fact, I made no mention of SG medical benefits. ... I repeat - this is an example, my friend, and I am drawing no comparisons to SG (which I still have not done).
Let's cut the chase then, my friend. If you are not intending to compare 1st world examples that I had described in the context to compare with Sinkiepore examples, then why are you posting to respond to me, my posts and my thread here?

If you have your opinion to tell us, go start your own thread please.

I am not going to waste my time with someone who is a quitter of his own country and then come to my thread to defend praising Sinkiepore, for motives which only you know.

If you are not willing to engage this thread by comparing 1st world examples with Sinkiepore, then I really suggest you start your own thread. This thread is about MAS alluding to the fact that "80% of Sinkies are poor with at most 20k in banks" and I had supported it with calculations and tried to debunk Sinkiepore's stature as a 1st world oasis, to expound on MAS revelation of this fact.

So, if you are not comparing with Sinkiepore, then kindly say your piece (peace) in another thread, my friend.

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's cut the chase then, my friend. If you are not intending to compare 1st world examples that I had described in the context to compare with Sinkiepore examples, then why are you posting to respond to me, my posts and my thread here?

If you have your opinion to tell us, go start your own thread please.

I am not going to waste my time with someone who is a quitter of his own country and then come to my thread to defend praising Sinkiepore, for motives which only you know.

If you are not willing to engage this thread by comparing 1st world examples with Sinkiepore, then I really suggest you start your own thread. This thread is about MAS alluding to the fact that "80% of Sinkies are poor with at most 20k in banks" and I had supported it with calculations and tried to debunk Sinkiepore's stature as a 1st world oasis, to expound on MAS revelation of this fact.

So, if you are not comparing with Sinkiepore, then kindly say your piece (peace) in another thread, my friend.

...and if u, my friend, wish to sink to the level of personal insult (there's that "quitting your own country" line again - always comes out when u've nothing better to say - u have no idea, my friend, of my motivations), I have nothing further to say to u.... but for your reference, even without your permission or blessings, oh great dictator of online forums, I'll post whenever and wherever I so f*%king well please!! God bless u, my friend! :biggrin:

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is obvious you still don't get it. Go start your own thread! Masgnole is not giving you permission or denying you permission to post or shit anywhere you like in this forum, but when you post stuff irrevelant to the topic or do not wish to engage with the specific topic started by the thread-starter, then you will be red-carded for posting stuff irrevelant to the topic.

There are still basic rules in vbulletin forums. You may like to start a new thread to tell us why you left Australia and why your adopted country Singapore is so good to you. It would be an eye-opener for many. This thread is definitely not about that. :smile:

Buddy - I get it very clearly. Read the posts and you will see that every post of mine was in response to a previous one. Nothing at all irrelevant, nor did I change the subject - so red card for what? Furthermore, whether or not you or Masgnole (or anyone else for that matter) have issues with foreigners living in SG, then you should start a thread (there's already enough of those threads here). I won't be drawn into your kiasu shit buddy. Take care :biggrin:

JavaMocca

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddy - I get it very clearly. Read the posts and you will see that every post of mine was in response to a previous one. Nothing at all irrelevant, nor did I change the subject - so red card for what? Furthermore, whether or not you or Masgnole (or anyone else for that matter) have issues with foreigners living in SG, then you should start a thread (there's already enough of those threads here). I won't be drawn into your kiasu shit buddy. Take care :biggrin:

You are paranoid. Does not read like anybody here have issues with your foreigner status here.

Be upfront about your motives, that is what I believe they are saying.

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are paranoid. Does not read like anybody here have issues with your foreigner status here.

Be upfront about your motives, that is what I believe they are saying.

Paranoid? Yeh, maybe a little... there was a discussion happening, and out of nowhere I'm called a quitter of my country of birth because I'm living in SG. That's pretty insulting to anyone. My personal residential status has nothing to do with strangers on a public forum. I have no motives to be up front about. Why don't you people all ease up on me, and focus on the thread? Fear not, never again will I answer a thread to innocently put forward some facts - everyone dumps on anyone who does that here for some reason.

I'm a really friendly guy - seriously! :biggrin:

JavaMocca

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paranoid? Yeh, maybe a little... there was a discussion happening, and out of nowhere I'm called a quitter of my country of birth because I'm living in SG. That's pretty insulting to anyone. My personal residential status has nothing to do with strangers on a public forum. I have no motives to be up front about. Why don't you people all ease up on me, and focus on the thread? Fear not, never again will I answer a thread to innocently put forward some facts - everyone dumps on anyone who does that here for some reason.

I'm a really friendly guy - seriously! :biggrin:

Don't know about that. You can start a thread to tell us more about your friendliness. :biggrin: