• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2 never go to war 40 someting generals to lead Singapore into the future

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_IMAGES_WGSM30.jpg

Army general to learn ropes from SM Goh
Ong Seh Hong making way for newcomer in Marine Parade GRC
By Teo Wan Gek

SENIOR Minister Goh Chok Tong has got his wish for a strong candidate to understudy and succeed him in helming the Marine Parade GRC team one day.

He said in a post on the People's Action Party Marine Parade branch's Facebook page, MParader, yesterday that one of the two former military top brass will be a new candidate in his GRC.

The duo are outgoing army chief Major-General Chan Chun Sing, 41, and Brigadier-General Tan Chuan Jin, 42.

SM Goh also confirmed that Dr Ong Seh Hong will retire from politics. The post read: 'The good-hearted doctor is selflessly stepping down from Ubi for one of the two generals to understudy me.'

The Straits Times had earlier reported that the likely new candidate is BG Tan and that he will be introduced to residents this weekend.

SM Goh wrote in a Facebook post last Saturday that he asked Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to send him a 'strong candidate who has the potential to be part of the fourth-generation core team'.

The duo, who have not been seen on the ground yet, have been tipped to be future office-holders after they hang up their army greens for PAP whites.

SM Goh's post is also an affirmation that one of them will enter politics.

BG Tan stepped down as commander of the Army Training and Doctrine Command last Friday. The Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship recipient will leave the SAF on March 31 after 24 years of service.

In an e-mailed reply last night responding to questions from The Straits Times, BG Tan said he understood 'the interest and speculation. I would be curious too!'

He added: 'Even though the final details of my next steps are being firmed up, it appears that I may well have the honour of continuing to (serve), albeit in a different capacity.'

'To be involved in the grassroots allows us to directly know our people's needs and concerns, and to make what difference we can. I believe it is also about bringing people together to build strong communities,' he said, in an indication that politics could be on the cards.

'There is much that I have to learn from those who have tirelessly served the community and I hope that I can contribute, in my own small way, to the good work done by those who have walked the path before me.'

Maj-Gen Chan, who joined the SAF in December 1987, stepped down as army chief last Friday after holding the post for a year. But the President and SAF Overseas Scholarship recipient has remained tight-lipped about his plans.

With the addition of one of the former generals, the PAP line-up in Marine Parade GRC has started to take shape.

With Dr Ong's impending retirement, the current team is made up of SM Goh, Dr Fatimah Lateef, Mr Seah Kian Peng, Mr Lim Biow Chuan and Dr Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim.

But Mr Lim's Mountbatten ward has been carved out as a single seat following changes to the electoral boundaries.

Also, Dr Faishal's Kaki Bukit ward has been absorbed by Aljunied GRC and he is likely to move to Nee Soon GRC.

This would leave SM Goh, Dr Fatimah and Mr Seah from the original line-up.

But the new Marine Parade GRC has shrunk from a six-MP to a five-MP GRC and now includes single-seat MacPherson, helmed by Mr Matthias Yao.

Ms Tin Pei Ling, 27, has been understudying Mr Yao. And the prospective entry of BG Tan will round off the five-MP team.

[email protected]

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
These 'high-flyers' knows what is the live-situation of the lesser mortals' everyday problems or justther to shoutorders and expect to be served as MPs?

Wonder if an Ah Pek slap these 'General' heads during meet-the-people session, will they cry for their parents ?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree there are legitimate reasons to question their political credentials and ability to serve the needs of the masses (as opposed to self interest of the elitist party that co-opted them).

However I am even more worried about the people who (will)actually vote for them.
What are these generals doing when we are being invaded by thousands of foreigners(many with fake degree/qualifications) who steal our jobs,children places in schools and our public housing.Whoes interest were they defending-the rulers or the masses?

Isn't it the job of the SAF to defend us against foreign invasion?

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
41 to 42 yo singapore generals ? paper generals ? if u put them together with the US,British or Israeli generals,u know What I mean ? What a joke !

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please loh, they organised the National Day Parade hor. Dun play play. They will be damn good at organising R&Rs if there is such a need.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually...some of them might really being deployed to warzone before for peacekeeping mission.

i ever had a friend whose dad is a regular (major), really fire and killed someone in iraq (peacekeeping) before when those iraqi came dashing at them with homemade bomb.

i know i surely kana shoot for defending them with this post

Costanza

Alfrescian
Loyal
they probably have 4 maids following them...one to carry laptop...one to carry uniform...one to carry ipad...one to carry iphone

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
actually...some of them might really being deployed to warzone before for peacekeeping mission.

i ever had a friend whose dad is a regular (major), really fire and killed someone in iraq (peacekeeping) before when those iraqi came dashing at them with homemade bomb.

These overseas 'peacekeeping' missions are really pretty bullshit. The Major who shot and killed a local probably will get a medal or commendation from the US for killing someone down there, while an ADF corporal who shot a native charging at his buddy with a parang in East Timor to save his buddy's life got charged and thrown into DB for doing so.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Your friend tell u pigs can fly, u believe ah? If a SAF personnel shot and killed a suicide bomber in Iraq, it would be big news all over the world. Definitely, in military circles throughout the world, it would be known. There are so many western journalists embeded with all the peacekeeping forces in Iraq, an incident like this would have come to light. Want to post the link?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your friend tell u pigs can fly, u believe ah? If a SAF personnel shot and killed a suicide bomber in Iraq, it would be big news all over the world. Definitely, in military circles throughout the world, it would be known. There are so many western journalists embeded with all the peacekeeping forces in Iraq, an incident like this would have come to light. Want to post the link?

this kind of small news happens everyday.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I agree there are legitimate reasons to question their political credentials and ability to serve the needs of the masses (as opposed to self interest of the elitist party that co-opted them).

However I am even more worried about the people who (will)actually vote for them.
What are these generals doing when we are being invaded by thousands of foreigners(many with fake degree/qualifications) who steal our jobs,children places in schools and our public housing.Whoes interest were they defending-the rulers or the masses?

Isn't it the job of the SAF to defend us against foreign invasion?

These are very good questions that unfortunately, those idiots in the constituency voting for the fakers will never ask. Sinkies are not ignorant, they are brainless with no logical thought process. If these 2 paper generals really believe in their oath to defend the people of singapore, they would have rolled out the tanks and troops long ago to hang Old Goat, and all the PAP elites and Familee. They have opened the gates wide to foreign invasion from PRC, India, etc. People are just too blind to see this.

therockz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generals don't need to fight in war, they only need to be able to manage and make intelligent decisions. Generals stay in their bunkers while the cannon fodders die.