• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao hints at imminent Chelsea move

1399002_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jun 18, 2015 23:51:00

The Premier League champions are closing in on a move for the 29-year-old, while Filipe Luis and Willian back the striker to shine at Stamford Bridge

Radamel Falcao has hinted that his move to Chelsea could be imminent.

The Premier League champions appear to be closing in on a deal for the 29-year-old, while Jose Mourinho has been at the centre of the club’s efforts to sign the striker from Monaco this summer.

Falcao is currently with the Colombia squad at the Copa America and after his country’s win over Brazil on Thursday, the forward was asked if the reports claiming he is close to joining Chelsea are true.

“It can be, you will know soon,” Falcao said with a smile.

“I’m just thinking of the Copa America and the squad. My staff are taking care of this.”

Filipe Luis featured for Brazil in their 1-0 defeat to Colombia and the left-back has supported Chelsea’s move for Falcao, despite his return of four goals in 29 appearances during his loan spell with Manchester United last season.

“I played with Radamel Falcao at Atletico, he’s a great player,” said Luis.

“I’m not sure if it’s official, but I’m sure he’d be very welcome and it would help Chelsea a lot to continue to win trophies.”

Luis’ Chelsea and Brazil team-mate Willian also believes Falcao will be a success at Stamford Bridge.

“Falcao is a great player, a striker that knows how to score. I am sure he will help us a lot. I hope he can be happy at Chelsea,” said the midfielder.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man United can match the best, insists Giggs

louis-van-gaal-ryan-giggs-manchester-united_1vaodmzi7qv3z1e1n88l4wdege.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jun 19, 2015 00:53:00

The Red Devils assistant believes results secured against Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea last season are proof of the team's returning pedigree

Manchester United have already shown under Louis van Gaal that they are capable of matching the Premier League's best teams, according to Ryan Giggs.

Van Gaal's first season in charge at Old Trafford was a rollercoaster one that ultimately yielded a fourth-place finish, some 17 points adrift of champions Chelsea.

But victories over Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham, combined with an impressive draw at home to the Blues, have convinced Giggs that consistency is United's only obstacle to becoming genuine title challengers again.

"We've had a pretty good start and are back in the Champions League, which is exciting," Giggs told reporters when asked how the club had fared under Van Gaal.

"I think we can achieve a lot as we have shown this year we are capable of matching the best teams in the league.

"Now we just have to work on our consistency, and if we get off to a good start next season we can definitely do that."

Giggs, who made a record 963 appearances for United over a 23-year professional career before retiring to join Van Gaal's backroom team - also admits he has had to adapt to his change of career.

"As a player you're pretty selfish - you want to do well and you know what you're capable of doing and how to get it," he added.

"I wanted to be the best as a player and I want to be the best as a coach. That means working hard and doing everything you can to achieve that but also enjoying the challenge.

"You need to get the best out of 25, maybe 30, different individuals so you need to find what makes them tick and how you're going to get the best out of them."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal duo Miyaichi and Ajayi leave the club

ryo-miyaichi-fc-twente_lc5kw9n40nyw1s350zl4x0rak.jpg

By George Ankers
Jun 18, 2015 17:19:00

The young Japan international was unable to establish himself as a first-team contender under Arsene Wenger and has joined St Pauli in the German second division

Arsenal duo Ryo Miyaichi and Semi Ajayi have moved on, the club confirmed on Thursday.

Japan international Miyaichi arrived at the Emirates Stadium as a 19-year-old in 2011 but was never able to work his way into the senior team on a regular basis.

He played seven times for Arsene Wenger's first team but mostly spent time out on loan, having represented Feyenoord, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan and FC Twente over his four-and-a-half years on the books.

Miyaichi has agreed a deal to join German second-tier club St Pauli, Arsenal announced, while Ajayi has made a permanent move to Cardiff City after a brief spell on loan there at the end of last season.

The Nigeria Under-21s international never played for Arsenal's senior side but had been included on the bench for some matchday squads before being let go.

Miyaichi told St Pauli's official website of the reasons behind his move: "Discussions with [former boss] Thomas Meggle and [current head coach] Ewald Lienen convinced me.

"Moreover, I know that the club has fantastic fans. I look forward to the stadium and cannot wait to stand here on the pitch. We want to achieve a better position than last year and I'll do my best."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Weimann departs Villa for Derby

18 June 2015

863830header.jpg

Austria international Andreas Weimann has left Aston Villa to join Derby County on a four-year-deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old - capped 13 times by his country - had been a regular in the Villa first team under Paul Lambert, but found opportunities limited following the appointment of Tim Sherwood in February.

"It goes without saying that we are very pleased to welcome Andreas Weimann to Derby County and we very much look forward to working with him," said Derby head coach Paul Clement.

"He has a good amount of top-flight experience to his name and, at the age of 23, he still has a lot of potential.

"Andreas is an exciting talent and he will be a positive addition to the squad, along with the recent signings of Darren Bent, Alex Pearce and Scott Carson."

Weimann is a product of Villa's youth set-up, having arrived from Rapid Vienna as a teenager.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp: Spurs won´t sell Kane

19 June 2015

864022header.jpg

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is too savvy to risk possible dressing-room unrest by cashing in on striker Harry Kane, according to Harry Redknapp.

Former Spurs boss Redknapp handed Kane his debut in 2011, but it is current manager Mauricio Pochettino who has got the best out of the 21-year-old.

A return of 21 goals from 34 Premier League appearances last term has paved the way for Kane to be linked with a big-money move to Manchester United, but Redknapp cannot see the youngster leaving White Hart Lane.

Redknapp told talkSPORT: "If Harry Kane left Tottenham there would be uproar. It would send out all the wrong signals to Tottenham fans.

"I don't think Daniel Levy will sell Harry. He knows what that would do to the club.

"I was at West Ham when they sold Rio Ferdinand [to Leeds United in 2000] and, when that happened, it was like a pack of cards. Lots of top youngsters then left the club.

"Harry Kane is so popular and he's had a fantastic season. It would send out the wrong signals about Tottenham’s ambitions for the future.

"I really can't see any way they would do that."

Kane himself has played down speculation linking him with United, as he said: "I am happy at Spurs. Tottenham are one of the big clubs. That is the way people have to see it. I am at a big club."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry: Sanchez the key to success for Arsenal

19 June 2015

864044header.jpg

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has backed Alexis Sanchez to fire the club to more silverware after helping secure back-to-back FA Cup triumphs.

Sanchez scored 25 goals in his debut campaign at the Emirates Stadium last season as Arsenal lifted the FA Cup and ensured another year in the UEFA Champions League by finishing third in the Premier League.

The Chile international took centre-stage in the FA Cup final last month with a stunning long-range strike that lit up Arsenal's 4-0 win over Aston Villa.

Henry - who is Arsenal's top goalscorer with 228 goals and won five major trophies during his time at the club - is convinced Sanchez is the man to end their 11-year-wait for the Premier League title glory.

"If you're an Arsenal fan, we were all waiting for that type of matchwinner," Henry told the club's official website.

"Look at what he did in the FA Cup final and what he has been doing since his arrival. He has been more than tremendous.

"We want to see that more and more and I know that he has that in his locker. When you have a guy like Alexis Sanchez, it is the X-factor.

"He is the guy who can change the course of a game. I love the way he plays, he plays with his heart and I know the fans love that about him.

"As an Arsenal fan I am very excited about next season and hopefully we can bring some people to the club, some new players maybe but when you have a guy like Alexis Sanchez anything can happen. Hopefully he can fire us to the title next year."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham star Kane prepared for extra attention

19 June 2015

864069header.jpg

Tottenham striker Harry Kane is preparing himself for the extra attention he is sure to receive from opposition Premier League defenders next season.

Kane enjoyed a rapid rise to stardom last season as he scored 31 goals in all competitions for the White Hart Lane club.

That form earned him international recognition with the England senior team, while Manchester United have been linked with a move for his services during the close-season.

Kane is aware that he is now a marked man for other teams, but he has vowed to improve on an excellent breakthrough season.

"I haven't set any targets yet for next year but I know it’s going to be tough," Kane, who is currently on England Under-21 duty at the European Championship, told Goal.

"Defenders are going to be more wary of me but I'm ready for that. All I can do is concentrate on my own performances, do it again next year and try to improve.

"I think defenders are giving me more attention now but that's part of it and you have to deal with that as a striker. If you're scoring goals people are going to pay more attention.

"It's about how you cope with that so that's something I've got to learn and deal with next year.

"Obviously a lot has changed in nine months, it's been great and I've enjoyed every moment of it. Hopefully it's just the beginning.

"I think I've matured - I've had to mature and get used to a different life on and off the pitch. But that's part of it and I was ready for that. I had prepared myself because this is where I always wanted to get to.

"It doesn't stop here. I want to keep progressing and keep working hard - and keep getting better."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tomkins looking to learn from Bilic

19 June 2015

864083header.jpg

James Tomkins is relishing the chance to work under West Ham boss Slaven Bilic as he looks to cement his place in the first team.

The central defender was plagued by injuries in 2014-15, missing the last few months with a shoulder injury sustained in March.

Bilic's arrival at Upton Park is a positive move for Tomkins - who made his return as a substitute on the final day of last season - and the 26-year-old is ready to learn from the former Croatia international defender.

"I am looking forward to working under our new manager," he told the club's official website. "Now we look forward to this season in what is a new era for the club under Slaven.

"Like all new managers, he will want to bring his own style, the way he wants to do things.

"He knows the club, the ambitions and he was known as a player who played in the style as someone who wore his heart on a sleeve.

"Having being a manager at international level he will bring a lot of experience of that, especially with us starting back early with the Europa League, so we're all looking forward to the new season and what is an exciting time at the club."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tabanou completes Swansea switch

19 June 2015

864100header.jpg

Swansea City have confirmed the signing of defender Franck Tabanou on a three-year contract from Saint-Etienne.

The 26-year-old's arrival at the Liberty Stadium is the second from Ligue 1 during the close-season, following in the footsteps of Andre Ayew, who moved from Marseille.

Tabanou arrives for an undisclosed fee after completing a medical on Friday, with the left-back set to provide competition to Neil Taylor.

Tabanou made 43 appearances for Saint-Etienne in all competitions last season, helping the club to a fourth-place finish in the league and qualification for the UEFA Europa League.

"Swansea is a very good Premier League club and I believe it's the right move forward for me at this stage of my career," he told Swansea's official website.

"Once I spoke to the manager and the chairman my mind was made up because I realised they really wanted me.

"I am keen to show I am able to perform in the Premier League - the best league in the world."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jagielka pens Everton extension

19 June 2015

864107header.jpg

Phil Jagielka has put pen to paper on a one-year extension to his contract with Everton.

Captain Jagielka signed his new deal on Friday, with the 32-year-old now contracted at Goodison Park until 2018.

The England international defender enjoyed a typically consistent season in 2014-15, winning Everton's player of the season award, and he is thrilled to be staying put.

"It's always nice to feel wanted," he told Everton's official website. "Being rewarded with the extra year gives me that motivation to keep striving to get better and to keep going for as long as possible.

"It wasn't the longest negotiations ever - it only took a couple of minutes rather than hours. I love it here, I want to stay here and thankfully enough the club felt the same.

"The contract was drawn up and I popped back after a little holiday to sign it. Now I look forward to getting back for pre-season."

Manager Roberto Martinez added: "It's great news that Phil is extending his relationship with the club. He has excelled as a leader and as a captain of our football club for the last two seasons.

"I am sure everyone connected with the club will join me in being absolutely delighted that he has signed this extension to his deal."

Jagielka, who took on the captain's armband after Phil Neville retired ahead of the 2013-14 season, has made 293 appearances for Everton since joining from Sheffield United in July 2007.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spurs sign Trippier

19 June 2015

864217header.jpg

Tottenham have completed the signing of right-back Kieran Trippier, who has signed a five-year deal after an undisclosed fee was agreed with Burnley.

The former Manchester City man impressed as part of a side relegated from the Premier League last term, and Burnley manager Sean Dyche confirmed a move to White Hart Lane was on the cards for the 24-year-old earlier this week.

Trippier joins a Spurs squad already bolstered by the signing of another defender, Kevin Wimmer arriving from Cologne, and follows Danny Ings out of Turf Moor - with the striker having agreed a move to Liverpool.

An ever-present during Burnley's 2014-15 campaign, Trippier said: "When I first heard that the club [Tottenham] was interested I didn't have to think twice.

"It's such a big club and now I just can't wait to get started and show everyone what I can do.

“Whenever I get a chance, I want to do well for the other players, the staff and, of course, the fans.

"I'll take every opportunity I get with both hands and hopefully play my part for everyone at the club."

Trippier looks set to compete with Kyle Walker for the right-back spot under Mauricio Pochettino, amid reports United States international DeAndre Yedlin will soon leave Tottenham on loan.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bilic: West Ham won't sign players for the sake of it

slavenbilic-cropped_pck7qnptvmiu1r82nsorwgotu.jpg

By Harry West
Jun 21, 2015 17:13:00

The Hammers have already completed two signings this summer but Sam Allardyce's successor at Upton Park is keen to take his time before building his squad any further

Slaven Bilic has ruled out a reckless transfer splurge from West Ham, insisting that the club will act cautiously in bringing in new recruits.

Under Sam Allardyce, the Hammers finished 12th in the Premier League last season and qualified for the Europa League via their Fair Play placing.

Before Bilic's appointment earlier in June, West Ham had already agreed a deal to sign Darren Randolph from Birmingham City, while Pedro Obiang arrived at Upton Park shortly after the manager.

Ahead of the new season, the former Croatia and Besiktas boss is targeting more new signings but has warned against risky spending.

"We are going to try to be active but we will not rush just for the sake of buying," Bilic told the club's official website.

The Croatian has previously noted his determination for stability to be his team's first goal this season.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Southampton agree Stekelenburg loan

22 June 2015

865837header.jpg

Southampton have strengthened their goalkeeping options ahead of the new Premier League campaign with the loan signing of Maarten Stekelenburg.

The Netherlands international arrives on a season-long deal from Championship side Fulham, and will provide cover as number one Fraser Forster continues his recovery from a serious knee injury.

Stekelenberg embarks on another season away from Craven Cottage, having spent the previous campaign with Monaco in Ligue 1, and is relishing the chance to return to England's top flight.

He told Southampton's official website: "I'm very pleased that I've joined.

"It's a big, nice club that will play European football - and I can play. Last year I didn't play a lot, so it's an opportunity for me. I'm grateful.

"The last two years weren't the best of my career. As they say in England: the best is yet to come."

The 32-year-old's arrival at St Mary's Stadium sees him reunited with Ronald Koeman, after previously working under the Dutchman at Ajax.

"Maarten is a goalkeeper with a wealth of top-level experience who will prove to be an important addition to the squad at this early stage of pre-season," said Southampton executive director of football Les Reed.

"While Fraser Forster's rehabilitation is progressing well, adding Maarten to our squad alongside Kelvin Davis and Paulo Gazzaniga will give us strength in depth for what will be a busy season."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilson: Arsenal target Cech in the top three goalkeepers

23 June 2015

866248header.jpg

Petr Cech will transform Arsenal into genuine Premier League title contenders if he joins from Chelsea as he is one of the best three goalkeepers in world football, according to Bob Wilson.

The 33-year-old is reportedly on the verge of leaving the Premier League champions and moving across London after falling down the pecking order behind Thibaut Courtois at Stamford Bridge, although Cech's management company insisted on Monday that any deal is yet to be completed.

Arsenal legend Wilson hopes the transfer goes through as Arsene Wenger's men look to address their shortcomings after finishing 12 points behind Chelsea in 2014-15.

Wilson, the former Arsenal goalkeeper, told talkSPORT: "I think he is one of the three best goalkeepers in the world.

"As of this moment, I think Thibaut Courtois is the best goalkeeper in the world. I think he is ahead of Manuel Neuer. Petr Cech is right up there with those two.

"At 33, you are absolutely still in your prime as a goalkeeper with your experience and everything. I think there is five, six seasons minimum from Petr Cech.

"He brings authority, complete calm in the way he keeps goal, and presence.

"If Arsenal manage to get hold of Petr Cech and get another one or two players I think they will challenge [for the title].

"With regards to the rest of the squad, they are nearly now as good as Manchester City and Chelsea.

"I am a huge admirer of Petr Cech. He has clearly been the best goalkeeper in this country until young Courtois arrived on the scene. I am really excited if this thing goes through."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ings: I want to earn iconic Liverpool number

23 June 2015

866029header.jpg

Danny Ings has opted against taking one of Liverpool's iconic shirt numbers, stating that he wants to earn the right to follow in the footsteps of the club's greats.

The striker will move to Anfield upon the expiry of his Burnley contract having agreed a move to Merseyside earlier this month.

Ings could have chosen to take the number seven shirt worn by the likes of Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan, and left vacant by the exit of Luis Suarez to Barcelona.

Captain Steven Gerrard's departure to LA Galaxy has also left the number eight shirt available, while nine may become an option with Rickie Lambert's future in doubt.

However, Ings has opted to take 28 - a number worn by Gerrard when he first broke into the team - as he wants to first prove he can step up to a higher level.

"You have got to take that pressure off yourself as a young lad coming through. That is what I personally think," said Ings, who is on Under-21 duty with England at the European Championships.

"I would make sure I am established before taking any of those numbers. It is such a huge club. That was the thinking behind it.

"I wouldn't want to go to Liverpool and chuck a shirt on my back like that - it is pressure you don't need. The expectation at clubs like that is huge.

"Obviously I am going to work my socks off to earn that number one day. For now I will take a high number and work hard."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cisse to fight for Newcastle place

23 June 2015

866036header.jpg

Papiss Cisse is determined to fight for his place in Newcastle United's first team, amid reports the club are looking to sell the striker.

The Senegal international, who moved to St James' Park from Freiburg in January 2012, scored 11 goals in 22 Premier League games last season.

Cisse was hit with a seven-match ban for spitting at Manchester United defender Jonny Evans last term, before returning for Newcastle's last three matches as they narrowly avoided relegation.

With Steve McClaren taking over as head coach earlier this month, reports emerged that Cisse may be sold to raise funds for new signings, but he stated his intention to stay put.

"I'm here, I'm at Newcastle and I have one and a half [years left on my] contract," Cisse told Sky Sports News.

"I am a Newcastle striker. I just think about my holiday and when I go back to Newcastle I will try to work hard and try to make the team."

On McClaren's appointment, he added: "It's good for Newcastle because he's been the England manager before. It is good to change something in the team."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Football can learn mental strength from tennis´ top stars

23 June 2015

866118header.jpg

Jose Mourinho believes his Chelsea squad – and footballers in general – can learn a lot from the mental strength shown by tennis players on court.

Having guided Chelsea to the Premier League title last season, Mourinho was a regular at the Aegon Championships at Queen's last week – a tournament eventually won by Andy Murray.

And Mourinho, who admits he is a "big, big fan" of tennis, continues to be impressed by the way the sport's top stars handle the pressure placed on them during their matches, something he thinks footballers could do well to tap into.

"I really love it, I love the game," he said. "I have a special respect for the players because I think it's not enough that they are physical or technical, it's maybe the most important thing the mental point of view.

"Lonely people competing is more difficult [than team sports].

"A lonely man or women on the court is responsible for their success, responsible for defeat, and I think this capacity to deal with huge pressure I think is something I try to learn with them and bring it to my job and my sport."

With Wimbledon on the horizon, Mourinho will be doing his best to catch as much action as possible but concedes pre-season preparations at Stamford Bridge may stop him getting to the All England Club in person.

He added: "It's quite difficult for me to travel to a tournament even to Wimbledon, but I'm the kind of one that can be a week at home, watching a tournament, watching for three or four hours of a match, no problem.

"It's more than a tournament. Wimbledon is more than a grand slam final, it's a special one."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea bring in goalkeeper Nordfeldt

23 June 2015

866203header.jpg

Swansea City have completed the signing of goalkeeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt from Heerenveen, with the Sweden international due to offer competition for regular number one Lukasz Fabianski.

The 26-year-old moves to the Liberty Stadium on a three-year deal, the Premier League club having seen goalkeepers Gerhard Tremmel and David Cornell leave in the close-season.

After passing a medical, Nordfeldt becomes Swansea's third signing in quick succession following the arrivals of Andre Ayew and Franck Tabanou from Marseille and Saint-Etienne respectively.

"I am really happy to be here at Swansea - this is the perfect birthday gift for me," Nordfeldt told the club's official website.

"I think this is the right step for me to take from the Dutch Eredivisie to Swansea in the Premier League.

"The Dutch way of playing football is about possession play and it all begins with the goalkeeper. That’s something I’m comfortable with, but I'm also hoping to improve on that here.

"First of all I want to improve myself and help the squad and club move forward. That’s my main goal."

Nordfeldt began his career at Brommapojkarna before making the switch to Eredivisie side Heerenveen, where he spent just over two seasons.

Last term, he was an ever-present feature in Dwight Lodeweges' side, helping Heerenveen to the UEFA Europa League play-offs.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Faurlin pens new QPR deal

23 June 2015

866218header.jpg

QPR have handed a new one-year deal to Alejandro Faurlin.

The Argentine midfielder moved to Loftus Road in July 2009, but has been restricted to just nine league appearances over the past two seasons, having suffered three anterior cruciate knee ligament injuries.

Faurlin managed just two Premier League outings last season as QPR were relegated, but, having regained fitness towards the end of the campaign, the London club have opted to hand him a new deal that includes the option of a further 12 months.

"I'm extremely happy," Faurlin told the club's official website.

"I have to say thank you to everyone at the club for keeping me here and giving me the chance to prove a lot of people wrong. I just want to play football.

"I contemplated giving up after my last injury. It was really tough and I was in a dark place. Thankfully, I'm still here."