• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schurrle: I did not fail at Chelsea

andre-schurrle-chelsea-premier-league_1nirnamdmtu8j1upfeteeadxdv.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jun 8, 2015 11:07:00

The 24-year-old spent less than two seasons in the Premier League and admits he "did not feel the complete backing" of boss Jose Mourinho

Andre Schurrle insists he did not fail at Chelsea and feels he didn’t have the full support from Jose Mourinho.

The 24-year-old joined Stamford Bridge in an £18 million (€24.6m) deal from Bayer Leverkusen in June 2013 but returned to the Bundesliga after less than two seasons in the Premier League.

Schurrle, who moved to Wolfsburg in February, claims that Mourinho wanted him to remain at Stamford Bridge but was not convinced by the Chelsea manager.

"I definitely did not fail at Chelsea,” the Germany international told Kicker.

“I always had my chance, scored important goals in the first season. At the end I just wanted the transfer, although Jose Mourinho wanted me to stay. But I did not feel the complete backing."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rosicky: My Arsenal situation isn't funny

tomas-rosicky-brighton-2-3-arsenal_1vfvtrmlkn9cn1itbumqh67k5m.jpg

By Tom Maston
Jun 8, 2015 17:05:00

The midfielder feels he has been marginalised by the Gunners after it was agreed he would extend his current contract with the north London outfit into the 2015-16 season

Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky has hit out at Arsene Wenger over the handling of his new contract after losing his place in the squad towards the end of the season.

Rosicky had admitted that he had been looking into leaving the club during the January transfer window having made just one Premier League start before the turn of the year.

However, he was then given a run in the team between January and March and soon admitted he would like to stay at the club. Wenger then confirmed in May that the Gunners would be taking up the option of extending the Czech Republic international's current deal into the 2015-16 season.

But the 34-year-old now feels that he has been sidelined since having his future confirmed, and admitted he may look into his options again once pre-season is underway.

"Since the moment Arsene Wenger used the option in my contract, I haven't even been on the bench," he told reporters.

"I am laughing, but it's not funny.

"It's frustrating but I am a professional. Even if you lose your place, you must still be prepared because the situation can change.

"I'll start the summer preparation with Arsenal and that's the whole of my plan for the time being."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp: Rio Ferdinand could coach West Ham

rio-ferdinand-harry-redknapp-qpr_fizaiwoynvkv1jye7vgexyztc.jpg

Jun 8, 2015 12:12:00

The 36-year-old called time on his 19-year playing career at the end of May but has been backed to become a success in management by the former QPR boss

Harry Redknapp insists it would not be “ridiculous” for West Ham to appoint Rio Ferdinand as their new manager.

Goal understands that Slaven Bilic is on West Ham’s radar after the 46-year-old left Besiktas at the end of the season, while another target, Unai Emery, has ruled himself out of the running after signing a new deal with Sevilla last Friday.

Ferdinand called time on his 19-year playing career at the end of May and Redknapp believes the 36-year-old, who won six Premier League titles and the Champions League with Manchester United, is ready to go straight into management.

“It wouldn’t be that ridiculous for West Ham [to appoint Ferdinand] they’ve got good players and as I say, we’ve seen in the last year or two some young guys given the opportunity to manage and done well,” Redknapp told Kicca.

“Gary Monk is a prime example, with what he’s done at Swansea this year, he was a player and suddenly he comes in and had a fantastic season.

“West Ham’s a great club, so it wouldn’t be impossible for him to have a crack at something like that.”

Redknapp was also impressed by Ferdinand’s tactical knowledge during their time together at QPR last season.

“I’d like to see him as manager of West Ham, I’d go with him as director of football, that would be a good partnership,” he joked.

“But I’d love to see him get the opportunity somewhere, he’s young and enthusiastic. Gary Monk’s done fantastic at Swansea, who have gone out of playing and gone straight into management so there’s no reason why, if given the opportunity somewhere with the right people around him, Rio couldn’t do very well.

“He’s doing his coaching badges and has got a great football brain. I used to talk to him a lot at QPR, he’d be on the bench and I’d ask his opinion ‘what you think Rio?’ and he always had good ideas and read the game well. I’m sure he’ll come back and get himself into coaching.”

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Appiah suffers suspected anterior cruciate injury

8 June 2015

858044header.jpg

Crystal Palace forward Kwesi Appiah has suffered a suspected anterior cruciate ligament injury while on international duty with Ghana.

Appiah spent all of last season on loan at Cambridge United and Reading, scoring seven goals in a total of 25 league appearances.

The 24-year-old is with the Ghana squad as they prepare for Monday's friendly with Togo, before an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Mauritius on Sunday.

"Crystal Palace striker Kwesi Appiah looks to have suffered a serious injury whilst away on international duty this week," a Palace statement read.

"The 24-year-old underwent tests on a suspected anterior cruciate ligament injury, which he sustained during Ghana training."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Persie: United set to spend £200million

8 June 2015

857975header.jpg

Robin van Persie claims Manchester United are ready to spend another £200million ahead of the new season, but the Netherland striker hinted that his future may lie elsewhere.

Louis van Gaal went on a spending spree after taking over at Old Trafford, smashing the British transfer record to sign Angel Di Maria as well as bringing in the likes of Ander Herrera and Daley Blind.

United secured a UEFA Champions League spot, but are aiming higher in the 2015-16 campaign and Van Persie has revealed they are plotting to state their intent in the transfer market.

"United spent £200 million on players last year and they are going to spend another £200 million this summer so we will have a team that can compete for the title," said the former Arsenal man.

Van Persie endured a frustrating first season under compatriot Van Gaal due to a combination of injuries and loss of form.

The 31-year-old has been linked with Serie A clubs Juventus and Lazio and admitted he is not certain to stay at United.

"It is my ambition to play as many games as possible. I feel fitter than ever," Van Persie added.

"And I know that the more games I play, the more it will help me prepare for the European Championships [in France] next summer.

"I will take everything into consideration when I decide on my future and I know I have to be realistic about the situation."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho open to swap deal for Arsenal target Cech

468084_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jun 9, 2015 15:57:00

The Portuguese remains adamant that he would not sell the 33-year-old to a Premier League rival but admits that he would be unable to prevent Roman Abramovich from doing so

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hinted that he would be open to a potential swap deal involving Petr Cech.

Goal exclusively revealed in June that Cech’s preference is to join Arsenal this summer, having lost his place as Chelsea’s first-choice goalkeeper to Thibaut Courtois last season.

Mourinho has remained adamant that he will not allow the 33-year-old to join another Premier League club but admits he would be unable to persuade Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich from selling.

When asked if he believed Abramovich would sanction a sale, Mourinho replied: ”Perhaps. Perhaps. Every club that is interested in Petr, I can find a player that I like in that team too.

"My answer is not important. My answer is not important because the owner is the owner, he is the person with the perspective I admire a lot, respect a lot. He respects a lot of people who do important things for him.

"Since 2004 to 2014-15, 10 years of success with the club, 10 years of unbelievable behaviour. I will have to accept any decision that the owner has.

"I'm different. I have the same respect for Petr that everybody at the club has, but my answer would be, no way. If the answer is different I will accept that."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I have high hopes for Cuadrado

1045422_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Jun 11, 2015 01:15:00

The 27-year-old forward had been linked with a summer move after a poor first few months in the Premier League but his manager is backing him to be a big hit at Chelsea

Jose Mourinho insists that Juan Cuadrado will not be leaving Chelsea this summer adding that he is expecting big things from the Colombian next season.

The 27-year-old has struggled to make an impact since his €33 million move from Fiorentina in January, with Mourinho's judgement questioned after Mohamed Salah, included as part of the deal, excelled on loan in Italy.

After starting just four Premier League games and racking up only 316 minutes of action in his maiden campaign, Cuadrado had been heavily linked with an immediate move away amid rumoured interest from Inter.

But Mourinho has no intention of giving up on the Colombian so early in his Chelsea career and hopes that a strong Copa America campaign could boost his confidence ahead of the Blues' title defence next season.

"Cuadrado is not going anywhere this summer," Mourinho told DirecTV Sports.

"People don't know Cuadrado yet, I have seen him many times when we were both in Italy, me at Inter and him at Udinese.

"Because of that I have a lot of hopes for him for next season. I hope in the Copa America he can regain his self-esteem, his ego and that he has that joy of playing."

Cuadrado shone at last summer's World Cup and carried that form into the 2014-15 Serie A campaign, bagging four goals and three assists in 17 outings, but created just one goal after moving to west London.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ashley steps down from Newcastle board as McClaren joins

10 June 2015

859334header.jpg

New head coach Steve McClaren will take up a place on Newcastle United's board of directors, while owner Mike Ashley has relinquished his seat.

McClaren took the reins at Newcastle on Wednesday and, having signed an initial three-year deal, will become the first Premier League boss to be on their club's board.

However, owner Ashley - a target of fans' frustrations during recent seasons due to a perceived lack of investment in the team - will step down from the board.

Ashley, who purchased the club in 2007, is seen by many Newcastle supporters to be a key reason behind the club's struggles.

Chief scout Graham Carr and ambassador Bob Moncur will also join the board alongside managing director Lee Charnley.

Charnley said in a statement: "This is a very positive step forward for the club and I am delighted that Steve, Graham and Bob will join me on the board.

"It was particularly important for us that the head coach also became a board member in order to gain a full understanding and appreciation for the club and its operations as a whole, not just the football side.

"In Steve we have an individual who embraced that responsibility.

"Graham and Bob's passion for the club is beyond question and I believe given the collective skills, knowledge and experience, together, we are incredibly strong.

"Whilst, of course, we all have our individual primary duties, there is a huge common desire for the club as a whole to move forward and succeed."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp: Tottenham a major disappointment since I left

11 June 2015

859867header.jpg

Harry Redknapp has criticised Tottenham's transfer dealings since he departed the club, describing their recruits as "a disaster".

Redknapp left White Hart Lane at the end of the 2011-12 season and eventually took over at QPR, whom he resigned from in February citing his upcoming knee surgery as the reason behind his decision.

Since his exit, Spurs have finished fifth, sixth and fifth in the Premier League, failing to return to the UEFA Champions League, which Redknapp led them to in 2009-10.

"Tottenham have been a major disappointment since I left," he said on his Kicca account.

"I had two top-four finishes, we finished fourth twice and should have finished higher in all honesty.

"I thought if we had bought a striker in the last year at Christmas we'd have been very close, I think, to the top. We didn't invest in a striker at that time. It’s difficult, that top four is difficult.

"But this year, if you talk Tottenham, it’s been a disappointing year for Tottenham.

"I'm a big fan of the manager [Mauricio Pochettino], I like him very much but if you look at the team this year it certainly don't excite you.

"They’ve been carried by three or four of the kids who have done really well. The signings, almost to a man, have been a disaster.

"All that £120million or whatever they spent from [Gareth] Bale and [Luka] Modric has been pretty much wasted really."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City planning to buy, rotate squad - chairman

11 June 2015

859538header.jpg

Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said the Premier League powerhouse will be heavily involved in the off-season transfer market.

City have already been linked with Wolfsburg attacker Kevin De Bruyne, as they aim to replenish their squad after finishing second behind Chelsea in defence of their 2013-14 league title.

Al Mubarak claimed coach Manuel Pellegrini and the club's hierarchy were "aligned" in their transfer aims.

"Every year, players come, players go," the chairman told CityTV.

"We have a great nucleus that we have here. We want to preserve this nucleus, but at the same time we want to go the next level.

"We want a squad that is able and has the capability and quality to win the Premier League, compete and win the Champions League, and compete and be able to go all the way in two cup competitions in England.

"We need to bring quality to the squad. We're all aligned in terms of the type of quality that needs to be brought into the squad.

"I think you will see some changes. You will see some players who have served us well and maybe it is time for them to move to their next challenge, and you will see us in the market bringing high-quality individuals that fit within what we are aspiring to coming in this summer.

"I can assure you this squad will be stronger, this team will be more competitive. I am both confident and excited about what's coming next year.

"I want the disappointment of last year behind me, behind us all. We've all turned the page.

"The energy right now is positive, the energy towards getting back on track, winning that Premier League and getting a better performance in the Champions League. This is absolutely what is driving all of us right now."

Asked about Pellegrini's future at Eastlands, Al Mubarak said the Chilean tactician will lead the team into the 2015-16 season.

"Every year we look back at season, and we conduct our reviews. We discuss the pros, the cons… Manuel is as disappointed as we are with the results over the past year," Al Mubarak said.

"He's very clear, and I agree with him and his assessment on what has worked and what hasn't worked. Let's leave last season behind us, let's focus on next year."

Al Mubarak said the fact City were left disappointed by a top-two finish in England and reaching the UEFA Champions League last-16 was a positive on how far they have come since the Abu Dhabi United Group took over in August 2008.

"If you asked me seven years ago, that in seven years, we will end the season second in the Premier League, we will be exiting the Champions League in the round of 16, losing to Barcelona, and that would we be extremely disappointed by that? I think this is a testament to how far we've gone," he said.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monk hails Ayew capture as major coup for Swansea

11 June 2015

859639header.jpg

Garry Monk believes the signing of Ghana international Andre Ayew illustrates the progress made by Swansea City.

Ayew completed his move to the Premier League club on a free transfer from Marseille on Wednesday, the 25-year-old signing a four-year deal.

Swansea achieved a record Premier League placing of eighth last season and claim to have beaten off competition from major European clubs to land Ayew.

"I'm extremely pleased we've been able to attract someone of Ayew's quality to this football club," manager Monk told Swansea's official website.

"It highlights once again just how far this club has grown year on year, not just in Britain, but globally.

"He will add quality, experience and versatility - which I like - to the squad. The fans should be really excited about seeing him play.

"When I spoke to him recently he was very football-motivated and felt Swansea was the right club for him at the moment to develop his game and progress his career.

"We also felt he was the right fit for this club, so both parties are more than happy."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho hints at move for Falcao

11 June 2015

859573header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has hinted at swooping to sign Monaco forward Radamel Falcao, days out from the Colombian appearing at the Copa America.

Falcao was endorsed by 111-time Colombia international Carlos Valderrama to lead the nation to Copa glory, and he was the name on everybody's lips - as Chelsea boss Mourinho said he was keen to help the 29-year-old succeed in England.

"It hurts me that people in England believe the real Falcao is the one seen at Manchester United," Mourinho told DirecTV.

"He is a player that I know from [coaching against] Atletico Madrid, and if I can help Falcao to reach his level, I will."

Falcao scored only four Premier League goals in 2014-15, and none since February - although he has struck four times at international level of late.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho banned from driving

11 June 2015

859749header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has been handed a six-month driving ban after pleading guilty to speeding.

The Chelsea manager was caught doing 60mph in a 50mph zone on the A3 in Esher, Surrey, close to the club's training ground at Cobham.

Mourinho pleaded guilty to the charge at Staines magistrates' court, and was banned and fined, having already accrued nine points on his licence.

The Portuguese was fined £750, with extra court costs and surcharges on top of that sanction.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aston Villa to meet with Grealish over 'drunken' photos

jackgrealish-cropped_bxqcakpuj6641nhoaljmbm845.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Jun 15, 2015 19:02:00

The midfielder was pictured in Tenerife, allegedly "paralytic" in the street, and the club have confirmed that they will meet with the 19-year-old over the pictures

Aston Villa have confirmed they will meet with Jack Grealish after pictures emerged on social media of the midfielder lying in a road - allegedly drunk - while on holiday.

The 19-year-old is believed to have been pictured on the Spanish island of Tenerife, with cigarette packets seemingly visible in shot as he lay outside an apartment block, with the account that posted the snaps claiming the winger was "paralytic".

Villa released a statement on Monday, confirming their awareness of the issue and plan to speak with the Republic of Ireland youth international about the matter.

"The club is aware of the photographs of Jack Grealish currently circulating," the statement read.

"We will be meeting with the player but any action will remain an internal matter.

"There will be no further comment from the club."

Grealish enjoyed a breakthrough season for Villa last term, making 24 appearances in all competitions.

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal launch new kit for 2015-16 season

1533652_heroa.jpg

Jun 15, 2015 22:30:00

At a PUMA event at the Emirates Stadium, co-hosted by Thierry Henry, the likes of Danny Welbeck, Santi Cazorla and Hector Bellerin modelled the Gunners' new home shirt

Arsenal have revealed their new PUMA home kit for the 2015-16 season.

At a fan event at the club's Emirates Stadium home, co-hosted by Thierry Henry, Hector Bellerin and Santi Cazorla were joined on stage by Danny Welbeck, Nacho Monreal and Tomas Rosicky to model the new strip.

Asked about the kit, Bellerin said: "It's really nice. It's red and white like always, like people like it. It's got nice features. The collar, I like it, it's stylish and I think it will look good on all of you."

Welbeck, meanwhile, added: "It's a bit classic, I like it, it's not as tight as last season so I can breathe on the pitch!"

1533782.jpg

1533772.jpg

1533792.jpg

1533802.jpg

1533672.jpg

1533662.jpg

1533642.jpg

The home replica kit and full collection of fan wear will be available in-store from 25 June 2015. The home replica kit and training line is available to pre-order now, at www.puma.com and www.ArsenalDirect.com.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal to ‘build a team’ in Man United pre-season tour

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united_1iwvp74uy06f11nqfactbwqdxb.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Jun 15, 2015 22:55:00

The Dutch coach says he will use the Red Devils' tour of the USA to impose his philosophy and integrate new signings, but downplayed the importance of pre-season results

Louis van Gaal says he is looking forward to building a new team during Manchester United’s pre-season programme and adds that he is much happier with the club’s tour of the United States this year.

The Dutchman was vocal in his criticism of United’s previous close-season schedule, his first at the club, where the Red Devils played five games in five different US states and struggled in the early stages of the Premier League campaign.

This time, Van Gaal’s side will only visit two cities, offering considerably more time to work on the team’s shape and style on the training ground, and the veteran coach hopes to use the time to mould a new-look team.

“It is enjoyable, because you are preparing a team. You have to make a team and it is dependent on how many new players are coming this season,” Van Gaal told the club’s official website.

“It is also a little boring, because the results in the preparation are not so important. And what is not important is when you see our pre-season last year in the USA and we have won everything and played against big, top clubs.

“And then we have to play our first match against Swansea City and we lose, and that cannot happen next year.

He continued: “The most important aspect is building up our team with individual players so they are thinking like a team. But also we need fitness and match rhythm and therefore we have to play matches, but we also have to train as well.

“When we went to America last year, we didn’t have a lot of time to train because we had to travel a lot. Now though, we have improved our American tour because we have two basecamps and we are on the West Coast, so we have lower temperatures and can build up our fitness better there.”

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neil signs new Norwich deal

16 June 2015

862450header.jpg

Premier League new boys Norwich City have handed manager Alex Neil a new long-term contract.

Neil arrived at Carrow Road from Hamilton Academical in January and, after ensuring an immediate return to the top flight via the play-offs, has been rewarded with fresh terms.

Neil, who replaced Neil Adams, revitalised Norwich and helped his new club claim 25 points during his first 10 games in charge.

That form helped Norwich into the play-off spots, where victories over local rivals Ipswich Town and then Middlesbrough ensured a return to the Premier League.

Neil's first full season at the helm will coincide with his first Premier League season and the 34-year-old told the club's official website: "I'm delighted to sign a new contract with Norwich City.

"Both parties were taking a chance when I was appointed but it's worked out very well for all involved, and I'm happy this has been sorted before the season gets underway.

"I've really enjoyed my five months at the club, hopefully it is just the beginning as we now look forward to playing in the Premier League."

Chief executive David McNally added: "For us this summer it was the most important piece of business to ensure Alex had a much-deserved new contract.

"He galvanised the football club after arriving in January, and we're certain that Norwich City will continue to progress under his management.

"We’re delighted that the club and Alex will be working together as we continue to prepare for the start of the new Premier League season."

JackWilshere

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilshere fined and warned over future conduct for Tottenham chants

1461132_heroa.jpg

Jun 17, 2015 17:38:00

The 23-year-old has avoided a suspension for leading Arsenal fans in a series of explicit chants directed at their north London rivals during their FA Cup trophy parade

Jack Wilshere has been fined €56,000 by the English Football Association and warned as to his future conduct after being found guilty of misconduct for his foul-mouthed Tottenham chants during Arsenal's FA Cup celebrations.

The 23-year-old sparked controversy by leading Arsenal fans in a series of explicit chants about their north London rivals during the Gunners' FA Cup trophy parade earlier this month.

Wilshere chanted "What do we think of Tottenham?", prompting thousands of assembled Gunners reporters to reply: "S**t", as well as addressing the crowd with a rendition of "We hate Tottenham".

Arsenal interrupted their broadcast of the parade to apologise to viewers and swiftly moved to remind Wilshere of his responsibilities. The player also publicly apologised for his actions on Twitter but neither measure prevented the FA from charging him with misconduct.

Wilshere pleaded guilty and has avoided a suspension for the incident, with English football's governing body instead fining him €56,000 and "severely warning" him about his future conduct.

The 23-year-old scored two spectacular goals as England defeated Slovenia 3-2 in an entertaining Euro 2016 qualifier in Ljubljana on Sunday.

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Bommel lifts lid on 'difficult' Van Gaal

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-premier-league_11bux709e9qib16irjz397zhvh.jpg

By Tom Maston
Jun 17, 2015 13:13:00

The ex-Netherlands international joined AC Milan in January 2011 after falling out with the veteran coach, and feels his Dutch style of management can be detrimental to teams

Former Bayern Munich midfielder Mark van Bommel has lifted the lid on Louis van Gaal's coaching methods, and feels the Manchester United manager can be difficult to work with.

Van Bommel played under Van Gaal for 18 months with the Bavarians before leaving the club in January 2011 to join AC Milan despite being captain of the Bundesliga outfit.

And he feels the ex-Barcelona boss can sometimes struggle when he first takes over at a club due to his persistent belief in his own philosophy and refusal to be flexible.

"It was a big change for the club," he told Goal. "We had had Jurgen Klinsmann and then Van Gaal came and it was totally different.

"He wanted to change the whole club. It was a change of culture from the German to the Dutch.

"It was totally different and we had slight problems in the beginning especially with the chairman but everything settled down then in October we were winning.

"On the pitch he is good but outside it was a little bit difficult. He has a way and it is his way. He wanted to to straight. He doesn't want to go right or to go go left, only straight. Everybody knows what he wants. I had a little problem with him in 2010 in December and I went to Milan in January.

"I was the captain and it was strange to change clubs in the winter. Ok, it was my decision to go and [I have] no regrets."

Van Bommel, who is making his own steps into coaching with Netherlands' Under-17s, also feels Van Gaal and the general Dutch way of coaching is different to many around Europe.

Van Gaal regularly criticised his United players' performance level during his first season at Old Trafford, even when they picked up all three points from games.

And Van Bommel feels Dutch coaches have an obsession with being the best at every aspect of the game rather than concentrating on winning matches at any cost.

"The Dutch way of coaching is we think how we can attack an opponent and defeat them.

"To be better with the ball and without it. To be better physically and technically and tactically. Every aspect of the game we need to be the best, we want to be the best. That is the Dutch way of thinking.

"Sometimes it is also to win ugly and go home. He wants to be better and better a better. If he loses and his team have played better then that is okay for him.

"But I am not a typical Dutch guy. I learnt in Italy as well that you have to win and play well but if you are not playing well you still have to win the game."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depay needs to adjust quickly to be a Manchester United success - Van Bommel

memphis-depay-psv-eredivisie_rrcfqmak89ai1ftfp2tx9s3r3.jpg

By Tom Maston
Jun 17, 2015 16:19:00

The ex-PSV midfielder played with the Red Devils' latest signing and feels he has all the technical ability to help Louis van Gaal's side taste success

Former Netherlands international Mark van Bommel believes Memphis Depay can be a success at Manchester United, though he will have to adjust quickly to life in England.

The winger completed his move from PSV to Old Trafford on Friday for a fee of around €30 million as Louis van Gaal begins putting together a side to improve on their fourth-placed showing last season.

And Van Bommel, who played with Depay at PSV before retiring in 2013, feels the winger will have to lift his performance level and listen to experienced players around him after reports of off-field issues.

"Memphis Depay can do well because he [Van Gaal] worked with him at the World Cup," he told Goal. "It is easier for him to come into this club. If you don’t' know the coach and you come from abroad it is not so easy.

"It is difficult to predict but he has qualities. You need wingers like Cristiano Ronaldo, [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery, [Lionel] Messi, Neymar.

"In Holland it was easy for him, and now he has to make the next step. He has come to a fantastic club and now it is time to adjust to that level. He has to adjust really quickly.

"He has the technical skills. He has to be focused. But if he goes into the locker room and does stupid things there are players who will say 'Hey, Memphis, easy. Settle down and play,'.

"He has the potential but I am not saying he is the new Messi because I can see the headlines!"