• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Xabi Alonso refuses to retire from Spain squad

426864_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 23, 2014 1:28:00 PM

The midfielder would not discuss whether he will hang up his boots for the national side after the World Cup and insisted the team spirit in the Roja camp is good

Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has refused to confirm whether he will retire from international football following la Roja’s dismal World Cup campaign.

The holders became the first team to be eliminated in the group stage of this year’s tournament – and only the fifth defending champions to fall at this hurdle – following back-to-back defeats against Holland (5-1) and Chile (2-0).

Alonso was criticised in his homeland after he said his team-mates lacked the hunger to want to retain their title in Brazil – a comment that reportedly did not go down well with his compatriots.

The Real Madrid defensive midfielder dismissed the rumours but refused to talk about his future with Spain, after reports suggested that the 32-year-old would retire following the tournament – a decision he supposedly made prior to the competition.

"I'm still not at that stage where I want to decide. What I want is, unfortunately, to finish this World Cup, go on vacation, disconnect a bit and then do one thing at a time," Alonso told Onda Cero.

"Right now I will not touch on that subject."

Although Vicente del Bosque’s side are already out of the World Cup, they will play one more game in Brazil when la Roja take on Australia on Monday.

Alonso insists that the atmosphere between the players is as good as it was two years ago - when the team won Euro 2012 - but believes that it was simply Spain’s lack of focus which ultimately led to their elimination from the World Cup.

"I will not say the things that happened in the locker room," he said.

"Our deficiencies depend on how you want to understand them. I think it is my perception but also that of many of my colleagues. We did not have the required voltage, or the competitive level against Holland and Chile.

"The co-existence between players from different clubs is the same as two years ago. Everything is much more natural, there are no such tensions that you might think. I hate talking about it."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England manager Roy Hodgson would have been sacked if he was a foreigner, claims Sven-Goran Eriksson

Exclusive: Former England manager insists incumbent boss is still in a job only because of his nationality after losing first two games at the World Cup

roy_2950742b.jpg

Roy Hodgson has overseen England's worst performance in a World Cup finals Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Ben Rumsby
1:42PM BST 22 Jun 2014

Roy Hodgson avoided the sack over England's quickest ever World Cup exit only because he is English, Sven-Goran Eriksson claimed on Sunday.

In an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport, Eriksson insisted a foreign manager would have been dismissed on the spot by the Football Association had he overseen two successive defeats at the tournament in Brazil.

The Swede, who lost his job as England boss in 2006 following a hat-trick of quarter-final exits at major finals, also declared he would relish a second spell in charge if the FA jettisoned Hodgson.

The FA has insisted it has no intention of doing so, despite him having overseen England’s unprecedented World Cup demise, with defeats against Italy and Uruguay eliminating them inside six days.

“I know for sure, if that had been me, I would have been sacked at once,” Eriksson said. “If he were foreign, he would be sacked. I’m quite sure about that.”

Asked whether the FA was right to stand by Hodgson, Eriksson said: “If they don’t want me back, keep Hodgson. He’s good.”

The 66-year-old, currently managing Chinese club Guangzhou R&F, added: “I would come back at once, of course. But that will not happen.”

Eriksson also rubbished suggestions Hodgson did not have enough good players to work with.

“I don’t know why the expectations are so low today,” he said. “The expectations in the three tournaments I had the team, was the final or semi-final – no other discussions. And when we reached the quarter-final, that was not good enough.

“Today, it seems to be very, very good if you would do this. I don’t think things have changed, realistically. England has still a very, very good team.” He added: “It’s not that the rest of the world is far, far ahead of England. It’s not like that.”

Asked whether history might judge his own reign more kindly than it was perceived at the time, Eriksson replied: “Thank you for that! I don’t know if people are thinking like that but I thank you for it anyhow.”

The Swede claimed England had not performed badly in their two matches in Brazil and had played some “positive football” but had no luck.

“Of course, when you’re in a big tournament like the World Cup, it’s not enough to play well," he said. "You have to win.”

He refused to criticise Hodgson’s tactics or team selection, although he acknowledged the debate over whether it was a mistake not to select John Terry and Ashley Cole.

“You never know if that’s right or wrong because you can never replay these two games with Ashley Cole and Terry,” he said.

He did hint that Wayne Rooney – who Eriksson insisted was still England’s best player – had not been correctly deployed at all times by Hodgson.

“The best position for Rooney, in my opinion, is second striker,” he said, backing the Manchester United star to inherit the England captaincy if Steven Gerrard retires after Tuesday’s final Group D game against Costa Rica. “I said many years ago, ‘Don’t kill Rooney – you need him’. I can still say the same thing – you still need him.”

Eriksson said how many changes Hodgson makes to his squad post-World Cup will depend on whether he wants to win the 2016 European Championship in France or build for Russia 2018.

As for the current tournament, the Swede tipped Brazil and Argentina to win but did not rule out Germany, Holland and France. “It’s the big football countries once again and it’s a pity England is not together with them.”

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England manager Roy Hodgson must get a result against Costa Rica – and he cannot rely on his untested kids

England manager must ensure he avoids the ignominy of losing three out of three at the World Cup and, as we all know, you cannot win anything with kids

Luke_Shaw_2951623b.jpg

Old and new: Roy Hodgson, the England manager, must get the right blend when his side face Costa Rica on Tuesday Photo: REUTERS

By Alan Hansen
1:07PM BST 23 Jun 2014

Roy Hodgson has declared that he will go with England’s youngsters against Costa Rica, but that approach could cause more harm than good – both to the players and his reputation as manager.

I fear it could be a mistake to make wholesale changes and one which might lead to Hodgson going down in history as the only England manager to return home having lost every game at a World Cup.

Hodgson and England go into the game in an impossible situation after being eliminated from the World Cup following defeats against Italy and Uruguay.

Following confirmation of England’s early exit, the instant reaction from almost everybody was to call for change. Out with the old and in with the new.

But there is no evidence to suggest that will make things any better and no guarantee that the changes will spare Hodgson the ignominy of a ‘played three, lost three’ record in Brazil.

Roy will not want to go down in the history like that and England, as a footballing nation, will also want to avoid the humiliation of finishing bottom of their group with no points.

As a well-respected football man, Roy’s first thought will not be about protecting his own reputation and he has proved that by revealing his intention to ensure the unused squad members get at least some time on the pitch in Belo Horizonte.

But the overriding priority should have been striking a balance between handing the promising youngsters a chance and also ensuring that England get something out of the game.

It is not simply a case of ‘England are out, let us look to the future.’

England need to get a result for reputational reasons and the best way for that to be achieved is to make small changes and allow the younger ones to be protected by the more experienced players if it all goes wrong again.

In a way, this all goes back to my belief that you cannot win anything with kids.

When I said that about Manchester United in 1995, the reality was that the likes of David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers were surrounded by superstars at Old Trafford.

Their development was accelerated by playing alongside top-class professionals such as Eric Cantona, Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin and Roy Keane.

But there are no superstars in this England squad, so it is not so easy for Hodgson to throw in the younger players and expect them to perform.

Luke Shaw is the perfect example of a young player who needs to be surrounded by experience rather than named in a new-look back-four against Costa Rica.

Shaw is only 18 and, despite being impressive for Southampton last season, is totally inexperienced at international level.

As good as he is potentially, his positional sense is still not what it needs to be, but that is understandable considering his age and experience.

So the last thing you would want to do to Luke Shaw is throw him into a World Cup game and expect him to perform in a totally new defensive unit.

That is why I would have played him alongside Glen Johnson, Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill against Costa Rica.

They are the senior guys and, while none of them has had a great tournament, their presence in the back-four would at least have allowed Shaw to bed himself in alongside guys who have some sense of what is required.

Shaw might take to international football like a duck to water, regardless of who he plays alongside, but there is no point in making things harder for him by making wholesale changes.

The same applies throughout the team. In my view, it is folly to start from scratch.

The only other change I would make to the starting line-up would be to promote Ross Barkley in place of Danny Welbeck.

Barkley showed his potential as a substitute against Italy and Uruguay, but the Everton midfielder only wants to play one way and that is going forward.

He has yet to develop a defensive side to his game, so you cannot select him instead of Steven Gerrard and ask him to play in a holding role.

Barkley’s defensive shortcomings were evident against Uruguay, so it is important that he is given a game with the necessary protection behind him in midfield.

Raheem Sterling has started both games and should keep his place against Costa Rica because he, like Shaw and Barkley, is crucial to England’s future.

Those three are the promising signs for England and Hodgson as they look ahead towards Euro 2016.

But before all thoughts turn to qualifying for that tournament, England have to emerge with something from the Costa Rica game.

That will not be no easy task because the Central Americans will want to create their own bit of history by claiming the scalps of three former world champions by topping the group.

Against Italy, their levels of fitness were incredible. At 89 minutes, the Italians were really struggling, but Costa Rica were absolutely flying.

They looked a better team than Italy and their coach will believe that his players can make themselves heroes by progressing to the second round and maybe even the quarter-finals.

That is why Hodgson would have been better making just slight changes because imagine the outcry if England lose again with the players who are supposed to be the future?

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Australia 0-3 Spain: Villa, Torres & Mata return respect to Roja exit

427863_heroa.jpg

Jun 23, 2014 6:51:00 PM

Vicente del Bosque's men swept aside the Socceroos to secure third place in Group B, with their elimination already having been assured

Spain finished their deflated World Cup campaign with a confident 3-0 victory over Australia on Monday in Curitiba to restore some pride despite the reigning champions' early exit.

Vicente del Bosque's men headed into their final group fixture knowing they could no longer reach the knockout stages following defeats to Netherlands and Chile.

However, goals from David Villa, on his last international appearance, Fernando Torres and substitute Juan Mata ensured Spain at least signed off from the competition with victory, and avoided finishing bottom of Group B.

Spain's famous tiki-taka style has been derided in some quarters following their elimination, while there is also doubt over the future of Del Bosque.

The defending champions were far from their fluent best on this occasion, but still did enough to earn an ultimately comfortable win.

After a slow opening, Spain turned up the tempo and Villa broke the deadlock nine minutes before the break with an improvised flick from close range, giving Australian fans a timely reminder of his talent ahead of his upcoming loan spell in the A-League with Melbourne City.

The impressive Andres Iniesta, collecting his 100th cap, then set up Torres for a second in the 69th minute, before Mata - Villa's replacement - rounded off the scoring late on.

Spain will still leave Brazil knowing they have much to ponder, while Australia can move forward with optimism after drawing plaudits for their plucky performances throughout the tournament.

Villa, Torres and goalkeeper Pepe Reina were handed starts as Spain made a raft of changes, with the much-maligned Iker Casillas and Diego Costa among those dropping to the bench.

Australia showed more attacking vibrancy during a tepid opening, yet it was Spain who fashioned the first chance of note in the 20th minute.

Iniesta worked space on the right and showed great vision to pick out Villa at the back post, only for the forward to lash his volley wide.

Spain began to up the ante thereafter and Iniesta's clever backheel sent Jordi Alba free, but the full-back shot straight at Mat Ryan.

The lively Villa then showed neat trickery to bamboozle Mile Jedinak and fired a teasing cross along the six-yard box that neither Koke nor Torres could connect with.

However, Australia's resistance was broken in the 36th minute.

Iniesta's probing throughball caught Jason Davidson flat-footed and Juanfran got to the right byline before pulling back for Villa, who provided an ingenious close-range flick from behind his standing leg.

Spain struggled to rediscover a high tempo after the break, with several misplaced passes curtailing promising attacks.

The biggest round of applause for the second half was reserved for Villa, who was replaced by Mata shortly before the hour mark, the 32-year-old shaking his head as he emotionally exited the pitch before burying his head in his hands on the substitutes bench.

Spain's control of possession provided a second with just under 20 minutes remaining.

Iniesta was once again the architect with a defence-splitting pass that Torres collected on the left of the box before calmly slotting right-footed into the far corner.

Further gloss was added to the scoreline in the closing stages when substitute Cesc Fabregas picked out Mata in the penalty area, and the Manchester United man slipped the ball under goalkeeper Ryan.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Netherlands 2-0 Chile: Fer & Memphis walk Oranje into top spot

427872_heroa.jpg

Jun 23, 2014 6:52:00 PM

Louis van Gaal's men struggled to get the winner until relatively late in the clash with Jorge Sampaoli's side, when they broke the deadlock and ensured first place in Group B

Netherlands scored twice in the second half to seal Group B top spot over Chile with a 2-0 victory on Monday, with goals from Leroy Fer and Memphis Depay keeping their 100 per cent record intact.

The pair found the net inside the last 15 minutes to settle a largely forgettable encounter in Sao Paulo and ensure that Louis van Gaal's men will likely avoid host nation Brazil in the last 16.

A meeting of two of the competition's most eye-catching teams had been highly anticipated, yet it had failed to live up to its billing before late heroics from Fer and Memphis.

Indeed, with the Netherlands - shorn of suspended star striker Robin van Persie and requiring just a draw - opting for a cautious approach, two counter-attacking sides largely cancelled each other out.

But it was always Van Gaal's men who had looked the most likely to secure victory, with their third successive triumph ultimately coming from two unlikely sources.

Chile, though, can still take solace from having already secured their spot in the knockout phase, where it seems certain Croatia or Mexico await.

With both sides sitting back, the game lacked any real ingenuity during the opening exchanges.

It was Chile who created the first opening, Eduardo Vargas heading over the crossbar.

The South Americans were beginning to enjoy the better of proceedings and came close to breaking the deadlock when Felipe Gutierrez curled over after being picked out by Alex Sanchez's clever corner.

But Louis van Gaal's men responded well, enjoying a good spell towards the end of the opening period.

Netherlands' endeavour almost brought reward, too, as Stefan de Vrij headed Arjen Robben's vicious, curling free kick wide.

Suddenly started making his presence felt, Robben illustrated his vast quality when picking up the ball inside his own half before beating two players and shooting narrowly wide.

The game was taking on an end-to-end nature, epitomised by an unmarked Gutierrez back-heading wide from Marcelo Diaz's set-piece.

Any momentum built up before the break had disappeared afterwards as both sides struggled to fashion opportunities, the desperation best summed up when Sanchez hit wildly over from 35 yards.

Robben still looked the likeliest of the Netherlands' attacking players, firing straight at Claudio Bravo after wriggling into space in the box.

Bravo had to be on high alert with 15 minutes to go, turning Memphis' 20-yard effort over the crossbar.

Yet he could do little moments later as Fer met Daryl Janmaat's centre with a bullet header that flew into the corner.

Chile responded with expected verve, yet that desire to force an equaliser ultimately proved their undoing as Robben tricked his way down the left and squared superbly for Memphis to tap home in injury-time.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sampaoli slams 'defensive' Dutch: Chile tried to win - Netherlands didn't

427853_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 23, 2014 9:07:00 PM

The Argentine coach accused the Group B winners of putting "nine or 10 men behind the ball" at all times during his side's 2-0 loss at Arena Corinthians

Jorge Sampaoli has slammed Netherlands' defensive tactics in Monday's World Cup Group B decider in Sao Paulo, claiming Chile were the only side trying to win the game.

The Dutch prevailed at Arena Corinthians, claiming a 2-0 victory courtesy of two late goals from Leroy Fer and Memphis Depay.

However, Sampaoli was left outraged at the full-time whistle by what he perceived as Netherlands' overly negative tactics.

"They always put nine or 10 players behind the ball," the Argentine fumed. "It was a congested game and that favoured them because we wanted to play - Holland didn't.

"We went into the game with the idea of winning but we could not find the solution for beating a team that only defended and solely relied on long shots from their forwards.

"Despite the defeat, though, our team spirit is still intact because we took Holland on.

"I am proud to lead this Chile team. It is a courageous group and we leave this game with our heads held high."

Chile needed to win the game to pip Oranje to top spot in Group B, so their inability to defeat the Dutch means that they are now likely to face tournament hosts Brazil in the last 16.

"I think that any opponent we'll meet in the knockout stage will be difficult," Sampaoli mused.

"But, certainly, if it is to be Brazil, we will have to be careful.

"The are the favourites. The tournament is in their country and they have all of their people behind them.

"But beyond the home support, I do not think that playing Brazil will affect our group [of players] because we know how to play."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hummels: Germany won't play for draw against USA

424891_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Jun 23, 2014 6:36:00 PM

The 25-year-old insists Joachim Low's side side will not be playing for a point that would see both sides progress from World Cup Group G

Mats Hummels says there is no chance of Germany playing for a draw against USA on Thursday, despite both sides requiring only a point to secure qualification from World Cup Group G.

The opening round of the group stage saw Germany defeat Portugal 4-0 and USA see off Ghana 2-1, but two draws on matchday two mean Portugal and Ghana trail the joint-leaders by three points.

Former Germany coach and attacker Jurgen Klinsmann is coaching the Americans, but Hummels insists there is no chance of Joachim Low's side playing for a point.

"We are not a team who plays for draws," the 25-year-old told a press conference. "We're definitely going to play to win and anything else would be totally unfair to all the other teams.

"However, if it's 1-1 in the 91st minute, I won't be dribbling past 4 players."

Germany required a Miroslav Klose header to rescue a point last time out after going 2-1 behind to Ghana - a match Hummels believes exposed some of his team's weaknesses.

"Against Ghana we showed weaknesses that we know are there and want to focus on them," he said. "Personally, I can be satisfied. But after two games relatively little has been done. I think we can improve in general."

The Dortmund stopper also refused to enter into the debate of whether captain Philipp Lahm should play at full-back or in midfield, asserting that is uninterested in exactly where they Bayern Munich man is deployed.

"We don’t discuss the whether we now have a favoured position for Philipp," Hummels continued.

"He does a good job in both positions and for me it is relatively unimportant whether he plays in defence or in midfield."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prandelli: Italy will not play for a draw against Uruguay

426196_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jun 23, 2014 6:12:00 PM

The Azzurri boss has vowed that his men want to bag the full three points in order to qualify, while Andrea Pirlo is optimistic about their chances of going through

Cesare Prandelli has insisted that Italy will not be playing for a draw in their final Group D game against Uruguay on Tuesday.

The Euro 2012 finalists will book their ticket for the round of 16 if they avoid defeat against the Uruguayans, but Prandelli has made it clear that Italy are determined to bag the full three points and qualify in style.

"I have told the lads to believe in themselves and that they will qualify. We are determined to win this game. In order to get a good result, we will have to approach the game with the intention to win it," Prandelli said at the pre-match press conference.

"We are not the kind of team to go out there and play for a draw. I don't want to see the team suffer on the pitch. We have to show courage and fight for a good result. A very difficult task awaits, because it will be all or nothing.

"After the draw, I already said that it would all come to the final group game. This cannot be compared to anything. It's the biggest game of my career as a coach."

Experienced midfielder Andrea Pirlo, meanwhile, has backed up his coach's opinion that Italy should go out to play for the win as they target qualification for the knockout stages.

"We are not worried. We are all aware that an important game awaits. We know our strengths and what we have to do to emerge victorious.

"We hope to be able to play our own game. You will see a different Italy than against England and Costa Rica. We will not be playing for a draw."

Italy triumphed over England 2-1 in their opening game, before they were beaten 1-0 by Costa Rica on matchday two.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tabarez: Suarez still not 100 per cent but will still cause Italy problems

423618_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 23, 2014 7:29:00 PM

The 67-year-old coach has admitted he will be relying upon the Liverpool striker's genius in the final third to see them past Cesare Prandelli's side - despite his injury problems

Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez has admitted Luis Suarez is still not 100 per cent fit but insisted that the forward is still capable of causing Italy all sorts of problems.

The Liverpool striker was forced to undergo knee surgery last month and missed his country's tournament-opening loss to Costa Rica.

But he returned in dramatic match-winning fashion in Sao Paulo last Thursday, scoring both goals in the Celeste's crucial 2-1 win over England.

Suarez is not yet match fit but Tabarez has no doubts about once again starting his star striker in Uruguay's must-win meeting with Italy at Arena das Dunas on Tuesday.

"He's still not at 100 per cent," the 67-year-old coach told reporters on Monday. "But his presence will be great for the team and a problem for our opponents.

"We rely a lot on what Luis can do in the final third of the pitch he has not lost anything after the meniscus operation."

While Suarez is set to start against the Italians, Tabarez refused to confirm if he will stick with the exact same starting line-up that saw off England.

"If one gives the line-up beforehand, it is a courtesy - nothing more. I do not see the point in announcing it," he confessed.

"Regarding the team that played the last game [against England], they are to be thanked for doing a good job.

"I think that side, even with some minor variations, can be perfectly adapted to the demands of facing Italy.

"But it will not cost us anything to wait until a few hours before the game before naming the team."

Tabarez admitted that the Group D showdown represented the biggest game of his long and illustrious coaching career but would not be drawn on whether his future as Uruguay boss hinges on the result.

"My opinion is that I contract until our last game of the World Cup," he stated. "That's the only thing I'm thinking about. Anyone can give their opinion but I'm not giving it any consideration. It's not the time."

Uruguay and Italy both have three points after two games but the Azzurri's superior goal difference means that Cesare Prandelli's only need a draw in Natal to go through to the last 16.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa 'evaluating' Ghana match-fixing allegations

380131_heroa.jpg

Jun 23, 2014 5:15:00 PM

World football's governing body is aware of claims regarding proposed match-fixing in Ghana games

By Liam Twomey at Estadio Maracana

Fifa has confirmed it has been contacted by the Ghanaian Football Association regarding allegations that one of its senior figures agreed to arrange for the national side to take part in matches that were going to be rigged.

An undercover investigation by the Telegraph newspaper and English broadcaster Channel 4's 'Dispatches' programme appeared to show Christopher Forsythe, a Fifa-registered agent, and Obed Nketiah, a senior figure within the Ghanaian FA, on camera claiming to be able to employ corrupt officials who would help to fix friendly matches played by Ghana.

On Sunday the Ghanaian FA revealed in a statement that they had reported the pair to the police for allegedly "misrepresenting the GFA with an attempt to defraud", and Fifa says it is aware of the allegations.

In a statement, world football's governing body said: "We are aware of the media reports and have been contacted by the Ghana Football Association on this matter.

"In line with standard procedures, Fifa's security division is evaluating the matter.

"It is important to note that we have no indications that the integrity of the FIFA World Cup has been compromised.

"Speaking generally, the integrity of the game is a top priority for Fifa and as such we take any allegations of match manipulation very seriously."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cameroon 1-4 Brazil: Neymar double sets up Chile clash

427981_heroa.jpg

Jun 23, 2014 10:51:00 PM

The Barcelona star scored his third and fourth goals of the tournament as the host nation condemned the Africans to their seventh straight World Cup defeat

Two goals from Neymar helped Brazil to a 4-1 win over Cameroon and set up a last-16 clash with Chile.

The forward exposed a vulnerable defence with glee in Brasilia on Monday, his first-half double sandwiching Joel Matip's unlikely leveller.

Brazil ultimately progressed with a degree of comfort, as the much-maligned Fred and substitute Fernandinho added further goals after the interval to secure a last-16 tie against fellow South Americans Chile.

Mexico were victorious against Croatia in Group A's other closing fixture, but failed to make up a goal-difference deficit as the hosts retained top spot.

While a routine triumph in which Brazil's star man took his tournament tally to four goals will provide comfort, Luiz Felipe Scolari is unlikely to partake in too much backslapping.

Indeed, after coming through a group featuring no other major footballing powerhouse, Scolari is likely to demand more of his side as they prepare to face a Chile outfit that have impressed in the tournament to date.

The game immediately took on a frenetic nature as Paulinho and Vincent Aboubakar had goal-bound efforts blocked at either end.

It was Cameroon's susceptible backline that was first to be breached when Neymar, inexplicably unmarked, cleverly turned home Luiz Gustavo's low cross from the left.

Brazil's golden boy came agonisingly close to a second soon after, Charles Itandje producing a fine save to keep out his fizzing volley.

Despite their defence appearing increasingly hapless, Cameroon looked dangerous at the other end and fired a warning shot as Matip's header rattled the crossbar.

Not heeding the lesson proved costly for the hosts, too, as Matip side-footed Allan Nyom's cross into an empty net the next time he got an opportunity.

With Brazil seeking a response to increasing Cameroon pressure, Neymar again stepped up, albeit with the help of some more schoolboy defending; afforded far too much space once more, the Barcelona forward cut inside from the left and sent Itandje the wrong way.

While those in front of him wilted in the face of pressure, Itandje was at least attempting to provide a steadying influence, getting down quickly to turn away Hulk's speculative hit.

The goalkeeper had to be on high alert again after the interval, denying Hulk and Neymar in quick succession.

But he could do little as another Brazilian, this time Fred, was left free in the area, the under-pressure forward heading home David Luiz's pass.

Brazil opted for a more controlled approach thereafter, epitomised by their willingness to withdraw Neymar after 71 minutes.

Even then, the drama was not finished, with Mexico threatening to steal the group after scoring three quick goals against Croatia.

However, the impressive Fernandinho, who came on as a half-time replacement for Paulinho, settled any nerves with a cool finish following a fine move involving Oscar and Fred.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Croatia 1-3 Mexico: Chicharito on target as Herrera's side soar into World Cup last 16

427988_heroa.jpg

Jun 23, 2014 10:53:00 PM

The Manchester United striker scored the final goal in Recife after captain Rafael Marquez and Andres Guardado had netted in quick succession to set up a meeting with Netherlands

Mexico will join Brazil as the last 16 contenders from World Cup Group A after they beat Croatia 3-1 in Recife on Monday.

Both sides had impressed with eye-catching football in their respective matches so far in the competition, but a late flurry of goals ultimately booked Mexico a place alongside Netherlands in the second round.

Few expected Miguel Herrera's men to pose much of a problem for Brazil and Croatia in Group A following a tumultuous campaign in the Concacaf qualifiers, but their solid defence once again provided a sound foundation.

Croatia had immense trouble creating clear-cut chances, while Mexico threatened with counterattacks and hit the crossbar through Hector Herrera early on.

The Mexicans were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty with 25 minutes to go following an apparent handball by Darijo Srna, but they were not denied soon after as captain Rafael Marquez headed them into the lead.

Andres Guardado and Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez appeared to have made sure of the triumph with two goals in seven minutes and, although desperate Croatia pulled one back through Ivan Perisic, they were well beaten in the end as Ante Rebic compounded their disappointment with a late red card.

Herrera was adamant in the build-up that Mexico were not going to simply play for the draw they needed and, although Croatia controlled the early possession, the Central Americans looked typically dangerous on the break.

The encounter's first chance saw Perisic blaze Ivan Rakitic's right-wing cross over in the fifth minute, but Mexico went mightily close just after the quarter-of-an-hour mark as Herrera struck the crossbar with a fierce effort from 30 yards.

Mexico went close again just a few moments later as Giovani dos Santos slipped a clever pass into the danger area for Oribe Peralta, but the Club America forward lost his footing while pulling the trigger.

Croatia continued to look unconvincing in attack as an ill-tempered first half wore on.

The best opportunity Kovac's men could muster was a 31st-minute half-volley from Perisic, which comfortably cleared the bar from just outside the area.

Despite some tactical tweaking from Kovac at the break, with Luka Modric seemingly taking up a more advanced position, Croatia's lack of creative spark was not remedied.

Srna luckily escaped conceding a penalty in the 65th minute as he appeared to block a Guardado shot with his arms, but it all went wrong for Croatia soon after.

Marquez gave Mexico a deserved lead with 72 minutes on the clock, nodding in Herrera's corner despite Stipe Pletikosa's best efforts and a second swiftly followed.

With Croatia attempting to pile on the pressure, Mexico sprang an incisive breakaway and, after receiving a squared pass from substitute Chicharito, Peralta set up Guardado for an easy finish inside the area.

Mexico gave the scoreline a more resounding look in the 82nd minute as Marquez flicked on a cross and Chicharito was on hand to nod in from close range.

Perisic did get Croatia on the scoresheet with a clever finish from an acute angle, but Rebic ended any hopes of an improbable comeback with a callous challenge on Carlos Pena, earning a straight red as the European side go home early.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Japanese problems are mental - Zaccheroni

425905_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 12:03:00 AM

The Asian champions are expected to depart the World Cup at the group stage following two poor showings and their Italian coach has lamented his team's mentality

By Peter Staunton in Cuiaba

With Japan on the brink of group stage elimination from the World Cup, coach Alberto Zaccheroni has lamented his side's weak mentality.

A failure to beat Colombia will see the Samurai Blue knocked out at the group stage, while they will also need Greece to take points off Cote d'Ivoire to have any hope of progressing.

"The problem is probably mental," Zaccheroni said. "We're not satisfied with our performances so far. This team has given lots of joy and satisfaction in previous matches over the past four years, so I'm hoping we can show that good part of our football against Colombia."

The Japanese take on Colombia on Tuesday in the sweltering conditions of Cuiaba after losing their opening game to Cote d'Ivoire and following that disappointing result up with a 0-0 draw against Greece.

They failed to capitalise on their one-goal lead against the west Africans and could not break down a Greece side who were down to 10 men. Zaccheroni feels the team is not playing to the same levels which have brought continental success.

"We haven't had enough speed in our play and it's as though the players have been playing with the brakes on," he said.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pekerman: We expected more of a challenge from Japan

425928_heroa.jpg

By Peter Staunton in Cuiaba
Jun 24, 2014 1:00:00 AM

Colombia assured their place in the last 16 thanks to wins over Cote d'Ivoire and Greece and their coach admits to being disappointed by the Japanese performances so far

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman has admitted that he expected more from Japan at the World Cup.

The South Americans go into Tuesday's match in Cuiaba assured of their place in the last 16 and sit atop Group C but the Asian champions need an unlikely set of results to progress.

"I think that Japan's expectations were much higher," said Pekerman. "If we consider how they prepared, their coach, their experience, we thought they'd have a better performance.

"But we're speaking about the past. We have to think about tomorrow. A team like Japan can recover and play a wonderful game because they need a victory."

Japan were beaten on matchday one by Cote d'Ivoire and drew 0-0 with Greece last time out, leaving them in third place in the group.

They need to beat Colombia and hope for Greece to take points from Cote d'Ivoire, but even that might not be enough, as a draw between the Greeks and the Elephants would leave Japan needing to beat Colombia by two clear goals.

Pekerman admitted he may be tempted into making changes for the third group match after taking maximum points from Greece and Cote d'Ivoire.

"We think those who played the longest should recover," he said. "There might be some changes. It would be good idea. Certain players could play very well.

"The team will face this match with this possibility and if we need to make changes we will. Everyone is very confident to play this game."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kovac: Mexico showed how dangerous they can be

427992_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jun 23, 2014 11:38:00 PM

The Croatia boss had few complaints as his side bowed out of the World Cup following a 3-1 defeat to El Tri on Monday

Croatia head coach Niko Kovac believes Mexico have proven themselves a force to be reckoned with following El Tri's 3-1 World Cup Group A victory on Monday.

The two sides met in Recife with a place in the last-16 at stake, but it was Mexico who delivered a convincing display as second-half goals from Rafael Marquez, Andres Guardado and Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez sent them through to face Netherlands, despite Ivan Perisic's late strike.

Kovac was left to rue the two set-pieces which led to the first and third of Mexico's goals but admits his side can have few complaints with the result.

"Congratulations to Mexico, for 50 minutes they were better team. That is football: when it comes to equal teams, little details decide it. This time those details were two dead-ball situations," he told HTV.

"With [Danijel] Pranjic in the middle I wanted to block our left side and let [Ivica] Olic be more offensive in a 4-1-4-1 formation. We managed to block Mexico on our left but up front it was not good enough.

"That is why I have put Pranjic back on the left and included [Mateo] Kovacic on the pitch. That didn't work, we soon conceded a goal and then when the play opened Mexico showed how dangerous they are.

"Mexico gave us a lot of respect, they didn't play with pressing as usual because they knew about our counter-attacks. In the second half maybe we were physically down, and Mexico were better. We gave some joy to the Croatian people, especially after first two matches, but today the opponent was better."

Mexico go through in second place in Group A behind Brazil, who beat Cameroon 4-1 in Brasilia to set up a last-16 clash with Chile.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Herrera reveals Mexico's Marquez masterplan

428012_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jun 24, 2014 1:15:00 AM

The coach was thrilled to see his set-piece ploys pay dividends as his captain inspired a win over Croatia, and believes Central American sides deserve respect for their showings

Mexico boss Miguel Herrera has revealed how a tactical ploy involving captain Rafael Marquez helped his side to a 3-1 win over Croatia and a place in the World Cup last 16.

The crucial Group A clash was goalless until shortly after the 70-minute mark when Marquez powered home a header from a corner past Stipe Pletikosa, and the 35-year-old was on hand to flick another delivery into the path of Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez to seal the win for El Tri.

Herrera has now admitted it was a planned decision to utilise Marquez's attacking strengths after the break following a frustrating first half, and he was delighted to see the plan work to perfection.

"I think this was a very good match, first half we lacked maybe a little daring play, we were pressured, thinking that the draw would let us qualify," he told a press conference in Recife.

"We discussed at half-time to move Rafa up front at set-pieces. We worked on set-pieces and we reaped the benefits today. They weren't able to score, there was always somebody there, and then we scored from set-pieces.

"We felt as if we were playing at home, the Brazilians have treated us beautifully. We will go back to our camp and they will welcome us.

"We're delighted to overcome the first hurdle, we're going to celebrate with families tonight, but tomorrow we're going to start thinking of the Netherlands match."

With Mexico set to face Netherlands in the last 16, USA sitting in a promising position to progress from Group G and Costa Rica having recorded stunning victories over Italy and Uruguay to top group D after two matches, Herrera believes Concacaf qualifiers have earned a huge amount of respect for their performances in Brazil.

"It clearly shows that in our region we're getting strong," he added. "We desire the same treatment that is given to South America and Europe.

"Concacaf is doing a good job and working well, four teams came to the World Cup, three are moving on. I think they all see us with more respect. Costa Rica have done great, the USA is a solid team, our region should also be seen in a good light."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Campbell: Costa Rica have nothing to fear

423793_heroa.jpg

By Peter Thompson
Jun 24, 2014 1:58:00 PM

The Arsenal forward believes his nation have proved their worth after shocking the World Cup with victories over Uruguay and Italy to qualify from Group D

Joel Campbell has warned Costa Rica's World Cup rivals they are confident of beating anyone after coasting into the last-16.

The Central American nation secured shock victories over Uruguay and Italy to seal their progress from Group D with a game to spare and they only need a point against England on Tuesday to win the group.

Arsenal striker Campbell says he has no preference as to who they face in the knockout stages and believes Jorge Luis Pinto's side have nothing to fear.

"We are not thinking about who we get in the last-16," he said.

"It does not matter to us. We have been in a group with three champions of the world and we have shown that we can beat anyone.

"We always believed we could do this. Football is not decided by the shirt you are wearing. With work and effort, you can win against anyone.

"We are very satisfied, very happy with what we have achieved but we will keep working to do more.

"This is unforgettable. We are part of history. Nobody would have put a single dollar on this team qualifying but there you go.

"It can change football in Costa Rica. These are the best days of my career."

The winners of Group D will face the runners-up in Group C, with Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan and South Korea competing in that pool.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli: Forget about Suarez, all that matters is Italy win

424971_heroa.jpg

By Tony Mahoney
Jun 24, 2014 11:40:00 AM

The AC Milan forward says that the only thing that counts in Natal on Tuesday is that Italy beat Uruguay to qualification, not his personal face-off with Luis Suarez

Italy forward Mario Balotelli is refusing to be drawn into a personal battle with Uruguay's star striker Luis Suarez ahead of Tuesday's do-or-die World Cup clash in Natal, and says that all that matters is that the Azzurri qualify for the next round.

The two nations are level on three points going into the final Group D clash, but Italy's superior goal difference means they only need a draw to progress to the last 16. Uruguay must win to pip Cesare Prandelli's men to qualification.

Inevitably, the build-up to the match has centred around Balotelli and Suarez - but the Italian is not interested in individual glory.

"It's not a battle between two individuals, it's between two teams who want to be in the second round of the finals," Balotelli told Times of India.

"We will be fighting to survive and that is motivation enough for all of us. I'll be happier to win the game rather than scoring and yet losing the game.

"I genuinely believe that Suarez will be thinking along the same lines too."

Italy appeared to be cruising to qualification from Group D after a Balotelli header helped defeat England 2-1 in their first match, but they then fell to a shock 1-0 loss to Costa Rica in Recife last Friday.

"It happens in football and that is why the game is so unpredictable," Balotelli explained.

"We played well, created chances but we failed to put the ball in their net. We all know that we cannot win every game.

"So, you have to accept some defeats, no matter how bitter it feels. But that's in the past. Now we are eager to be on the field again to continue our battle."

The World Cup has witnessed a number of shocks, with holders Spain and England aready out and a number of other big European nations such as Portugal also risking elimination.

"That's good for football," the 23-year-old insisted.

"But we are not surprised since there is very little difference between countries now. In the final phase, every player, including me, wants to excel on the field.

"Now, we all are aware about the threats Uruguay pose for us. We have prepared ourselves accordingly."

Italy are expected to line up in a new 3-5-2 formation against Uruguay, with Balotelli set to start in attack alongside Borussia Dortmund newboy Ciro Immobile - last season's top scorer in Serie A with Torino.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez: I didn't mean to offend England squad

428009_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Jun 24, 2014 12:31:00 PM

The Uruguay star says his two goals in Sao Paulo were motivated by critics who "laughed" at him over the years, but now insists the comments were "nothing personal"

Luis Suarez says comments about exacting revenge against England were "nothing personal" against the players.

The Uruguay striker scored two goals in Sao Paulo to effectively eliminate the Three Lions from the World Cup and told reporters afterwards he was motivated by those who "laughed" at him over recent years.

But with five Liverpool team-mates in the England squad - not including new signing Rickie Lambert - Suarez insisted he did not mean to offend.

"Even before the match, I had said I knew each of the players I would be playing against," he told Times of India.

"Some were my team-mates in Liverpool with whom I enjoy a healthy relationship and against the others, I had played regularly.

"But when we are competing we are ready to give our best for the country. They felt the same, tried to do the same. The only difference is, we won.

"It was nothing personal against any of them and I know it was the same for them, too. We wanted to win the match badly, especially after our defeat to Costa Rica. Thank God we could beat them."

Uruguay now face Italy on Tuesday for a place in the last 16, with Costa Rica securing their place by beating the Azzurri last week.

Despite his heroics against England, Suarez insists he and fellow headline act Mario Balotelli are not the sole focus.

"Uruguay will be playing against Italy. In a team game, it's absurd to say something like that. It's a team effort that makes the contest fascinating," said the Liverpool man when asked if the game was a clash of two stars.

"Individuals will make their contributions to see the team go through. It's football, not an individual sport. Mario has been a superb player and he will be keen to score against us while we shall be trying the same.

"Nobody expected us to be involved with Italy in the last group match as a final.

"The team that wins will go through and there is no scope for even little error. They are the giants of World Cup, and tend to play really well in such crunch matches."