• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

We didn´t want Athletic Bilbao tie - Valencia striker Negredo

26 February 2016

1015667header.jpg

Valencia striker Alvaro Negredo conceded Athletic Bilbao were "not the team we wanted right now" after the Spanish clubs were paired together in Friday's Europa League draw.

The sides also meet on Sunday in the league ahead of a two-legged European encounter next month with the winner advancing to the quarter-finals.

Valencia have enjoyed a resurgence of late to lift the pressure on coach Gary Neville but Negredo was still downbeat at the prospect of facing Athletic.

He told UEFA's official website: "Athletic are not the team we wanted right now - it would have been better for us to meet later.

"Now we are on a good run of form and I hope we manage to get through, although we know we're up against difficult opponents.

"It's going to be a very tight tie. They are also on a good run. Now we have to play two games against them and we'll see what happens."

Athletic boss Ernesto Valverde also admitted it was going to be tough for his side to progress but relished what he described as a "great tie".

He said: "It's a tough draw, we keep getting tough draws - in the Copa del Rey and the Europa League.

"We're playing them on Sunday too. It's going to be an open tie, we know Valencia are currently in one of their best moments of the season. They have won four in a row and have great players. It's a great tie."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane still in Real Madrid's long-term plans as club targets Champions League triumph

2763072_heroa.jpg

By Alberto Pinero
Feb 29, 2016 17:50:00

The derby defeat to Atletico Madrid has left a bitter taste around the Santiago Bernabeu, but club directors are still confident the new coach can deliver success in Europe

"It is likely that signings will be needed in the summer, and changes may be made, even with the coach." The man behind those words was none other than Zinedine Zidane, speaking in a press conference minutes after falling to Atletico Madrid in a home derby.

It appears to be a call for revolution, or at the very least a thorough restructuring within the club. That conference was shortly followed by the fans' calls for "Florentino Out," as well as Cristiano Ronaldo's well-aimed barbs: at his team-mates, the medical department, and the club itself for their pre-season plans. It is Saturday afternoon and Real Madrid is an inferno, with no firefighters in sight.

Two days later, the aftermath of that conflagration continues to smoulder within Madrid. But Goal understands that the club's board of directors have ordered an evacuation plan following Saturday's disaster. The project is built around three pillars: Zidane, the Champions League and a return to "calm."

While the media and some Madrid fanatics call for heads to roll and an urgent transformation, those at the top of the club are gambling on Zizou's football knowledge and the hopes of another success in Europe's top competition. Those hopes are not unfounded. It would not be the first season in which a disappointing domestic campaign was offset by European glory.

The French coach, meanwhile, is a new face in the first team, and has inherited problems and failings that are not his doing. The directors see the legend as the cornerstone of a new long-term project, and not just a quick fix to be removed in due course.

With that in mind, the answers from the board remain consistent in the face of the numerous concerns held by fans. "What will happen with Zidane's future?" "Calm." "What about the supporters' complaints about the board?" "Calm." "What will happen in the team after Cristiano Ronaldo's outburst?" "Calm."

All must pull together during the storm, it is said. The Bernabeu is currently suffering inclement weather, but there is confidence that things will work themselves out and the sun will shine again. It could even occur as soon as this season.

Nobody is trying to deny that the Liga title is now practically impossible to obtain - even the coach himself - but the dream of an 11th Champions League or European Cup crown is still alive. There is a blind faith that the team will bounce back and improve on their current form.

That process, the directors trust, will start this Wednesday against Levante, and continue next week against Roma. Those two tests are the most immediate objectives for the board. But even so, they will try and keep calm.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico to play Juve and Tottenham in Melbourne

2 March 2016

1018194header.jpg

La Liga giants Atletico Madrid have been confirmed as the fourth and final team set to compete at July's International Champions Cup in Melbourne.

Atletico will join Serie A champions Juventus, Premier League title hopefuls Tottenham and A-League outfit Melbourne Victory in the Australia leg of the pre-season tournament.

Diego Simeone's Atletico, who are second in La Liga and five points adrift of Barcelona following Tuesday's 3-0 win over Real Sociedad, will face Tottenham in the third and final match of the ICC at the MCG on July 29.

"The team and I can't wait to come and play in Melbourne and visit a country as exciting as Australia, sharing with the fans its passion for football," Simeone said via Atletico's website.

"It's fantastic to be part of such a high calibre tournament with some of the best teams in Europe and the A-League's most successful side, Melbourne Victory.

"This competition will form a key part of our pre-season training and will be a great opportunity for me to put my players through their paces ahead of the new season."

Atletico forward Antoine Griezmann added: "It's amazing to have the chance to play at the Melbourne Cricket Ground as part of our preparation for next season.

"Hopefully we'll have a packed out stadium cheering us on against Tottenham."

Victory will open the tournament against Juve on July 23, before the Italian giants take on Tottenham three days later.

The 2016 ICC Melbourne line-up follows last year's event, which featured Real Madrid, Manchester City and Roma.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona will not take risks with MSN, insists Luis Enrique

2 March 2016

1018591header.jpg

Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique has promised supporters he will not take any risks with the fitness of star attackers Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez.

The MSN strike-force have scored 59 La Liga goals between them this season and the Camp Nou boss was asked whether he planned to give any of them a break at Rayo Vallecano on Thursday.

But Luis Enrique kept his cards close to his chest on what he plans to do with his starting line-up, with Barca five points clear of Atletico Madrid at the top of the table and holding a game in hand.

The Barca coach also played down specific concerns over Suarez after he was questioned on why the ex-Liverpool star has already played more minutes in this campaign than he did in the whole of 2014-15.

"Resting the three forwards will depend on what I see fit," he said at his pre-match media conference.

"It is something that I haven't brought up. We will see - to be a coach is to continually take decisions.

"Each player has their own physical profile and we have it under control. Don't worry, because I always do things that benefit the team. We will not commit risks.

"I like to go through the week thinking that everyone could play and until one hour before the game, they don't know who will play. I like that they have this uncertainty.

"Fatigue is normal and common, similar to last season, and I'm looking forward to the key games that will decide the titles.

"Last year Suarez couldn't play [at the start of the season], so it's normal he has played more minutes."

Luis Enrique was also asked about his preference to make substitutions much later in matches than many other coaches do.

"Sometimes I have made changes early, but that is not normal," he said.

"It goes with the profile of each player - I don't rule out doing so. If the solution is to change three players at once, I will do it, but I prefer not to."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona break Madrid´s unbeaten record

3 March 2016

1019320header.jpg

La Liga champions Barcelona have broken the 34-match unbeaten run in all competitions set by Real Madrid in 1989 after a 5-1 win against Rayo Vallecano on Thursday.

Luis Enrique's side matched the record when they came from behind to beat Sevilla on Sunday and hammered nine-man Rayo thanks to a Lionel Messi hat-trick to write themselves into Spanish football history.

Madrid set the previous record in the 1988-89 season under Leo Beenhakker when, having lost to Barca in the Supercopa de Espana second leg, they then avoided defeat until a trip to Celta Vigo in April.

Barca last tasted defeat against Sevilla at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in October but, since then, have beaten the likes of La Liga title rivals Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.

The European champions also saw off Arsenal to ensure a first-leg advantage in their Champions League last-16 tie while winning the FIFA Club World Cup and qualifying for the Copa del Rey final.

Barca boast an eight-point lead at the top of La Liga following their victory in Vallecas.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

No Barcelona return for Wilshere

4 March 2016

1019558header.jpg

Jack Wilshere's hopes of returning for Arsenal's Champions League trip to Barcelona have been dashed after Arsene Wenger revealed the midfielder will be out for another three to four weeks.

England international Wilshere, whose career has been plagued by injuries, broke his leg shortly before the 2015 Community Shield in August and has not made a single appearance this season.

Asked if he would be fit for the Barca clash on March 16 prior to Arsenal's FA Cup tie with Hull City last month, Wilshere told BT Sport: "I hope so.

"I also want to go to the European Championship and help the lads win the Premier League.

"It's important you set yourself targets on the comeback trail, that way you can see yourself getting closer."

Wenger says Wilshere's comeback remains on track, but has ruled him out of the trip to Camp Nou to face Luis Enrique's all-conquering side, who hold a 2-0 advantage from the first leg of their last-16 tie.

The Frenchman said at Friday's news conference ahead of the North London derby with Tottenham: "He's going to plan and doing well.

"It's still three or four weeks for him. Maybe after the international break he will be available."

England boss Roy Hodgson said on Thursday he hoped the 24-year-old would be fit for the European Championship in France in June.

Wenger added: "He's an important player for Roy Hodgson's plans, I know that. First we will do everything to make him available for us."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Marcelo, Modric return to Madrid training

3 March 2016

1019052header.jpg

Zinedine Zidane could welcome back Marcelo and Luka Modric from injury when Real Madrid host Celta Vigo at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.

Full-back Marcelo has missed Madrid's last two outings due to a calf problem, having previously struggled with an injured shoulder, while a foot complaint saw Modric miss Wednesday's La Liga win over Levante.

With the likes of Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema also out of action, Zidane was given a boost as Marcelo and Modric returned to team training.

.@MarceloM12 and @lm19official returned to train with the rest of the group at #RMCity today! #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/tLrRmaRa2O
— Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadriden) March 3, 2016

The pair may play a part at the Bernabeu this weekend while Zidane will hope both can feature in the Champions League last-16 second leg against Roma on Tuesday.

Zidane's side lead the tie 2-0 after victory at the Stadio Olimpico last month.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Barca maintain lead over Atletico

7 March 2016 00:08

1021098header.jpg

Lionel Messi's brace helped Barcelona ease to a comfortable 4-0 win over Eibar at Ipurua, while Atletico Madrid also won as the gap at La Liga's summit remained at eight points.

Munir El Haddadi, in for the suspended Neymar, opened the scoring for Barca in the eighth minute before Lionel Messi made it 15 goals in his last 10 outings with goals either side of half-time.

Messi became the first player to net 20 Liga goals in eight different seasons in the process, before Luis Suarez capped Barca's 36th game in all competitions without defeat.

Atletico responded strongly, with a 3-1 win over Valencia.

Antoine Griezmann opened the scoring for Diego Simeone's men with a 25-yard effort before Denis Cheryshev levelled in the 28th minute.

Fernando Torres restored Atletico's lead with a finish at the back post from a corner before Valencia's chances were dealt a huge blow as Aderlan Santos was sent off and Yannick Ferreira Carrasco made sure of the points for the visitors with his 85th-minute goal.

Elsewhere, Athletic Bilbao secured a third straight league win with a 2-0 victory at struggling Sporting Gijon courtesy of Benat and Oscar de Marcos, before Aymeric Laporte was sent off for the visitors.

Sporting are two points from safety and three clear of bottom club Levante, who drew 1-1 away at Real Sociedad.

Late goals from Alfred N'Diaye and Ruben Castro saw Real Betis to a 2-0 win over Granada as both teams finished the clash with 10 men.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane backs Ronaldo against Bernabeu jeers

7 March 2016 14:59

1021329header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has hit back at supporters who jeered star forward Cristiano Ronaldo at the weekend.

Ronaldo endured whistles from sections of an irritable Santiago Bernabeu crowd before firing four goals in a merciless 7-1 dismantling of Celta Vigo, a haul that established him as the second highest goalscorer in Liga history behind Barcelona rival Lionel Messi.

Zidane believes a 12-point deficit to leaders Barca in the table is at the root of frustration surrounding his club, but rubbished suggestions Ronaldo should be sold – pointing towards occasional low points in his own relationship with the notoriously hard-to-please Madridistas during an esteemed playing career.

Speaking ahead of Tuesday's Champions League last-16 second-leg match against Roma, Zidane said: "There are fans who want Ronaldo to be sold? Well I don't and I'm the coach.

"As far as the whistles go, they did it to me too, to everyone.

"It's not a question of one player in particular, it's a fanbase that wants more from its players.

"I see a full stadium and that means a lot. The fans are very important, they have always supported us. It is part of football that they are unhappy if things do not go well."

James Rodriguez is in contention to start against Roma having been an unused substitute against Celta, as Madrid defend a 2-0 lead from the away leg.

The Colombia international has struggled with form and fitness issues this season, but has Zidane's backing.

"My confidence in James is not a problem, he is a committed player who trains well," the Frenchman added.

"You have to make changes and there are players you have to leave out but the most important thing is to give everything on the field.

"I will always ask for more because he has talent, but not only from him. He is improving."

Francisco

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres misses Atleti training due to knee injury

8 March 2016 20:25

1022017header.jpg

Fernando Torres missed Atletico Madrid training on Tuesday due to a knee injury.

Torres scored Atletico's second goal in Sunday's 3-1 win at Valencia less than 10 minutes after coming on as a substitute, as Diego Simeone's side kept their faint La Liga title hopes alive.

But Atletico revealed on Tuesday that the former Liverpool and Chelsea striker picked up a knock to his right knee at Mestalla, which will be monitored after rendering him unable to train.

"Fernando Torres was not able to train with the rest of his team-mates in the first session of the week," read a club statement.

"After the fixture against Valencia, Atletico's striker felt discomfort in his right knee. He underwent diagnostic imaging tests (MRI) in Majadahonda's Fremap Clinic, and the medical report of Fernando Torres indicates that he is suffering a traumatic injury to the right knee that has caused swelling and pain.

"He will undergo medical and physical therapy treatment. He is pending evolution."

Victory at Mestalla kept Atletico within eight points of Barcelona at the top of La Liga.

They host Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday, before entertaining PSV in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie next Tuesday.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona reveal plans for redeveloped Camp Nou

9 March 2016 02:45

1022224header.jpg

Barcelona revealed they have chosen the design for a new-look Camp Nou that will see capacity in the stadium increased to 105,000 spectators.

The Spanish giants have had plans for several years to redevelop the stadium, with the winning design finally chosen on Tuesday by the Espai Barca jury.

Nikken Sekkei and Pascual i Ausio Arquitectes' design stood out from other competitors for "being open, elegant, serene, timeless Mediterranean and democratic".

Capacity will be increased from 99,354 to 105,000 spectators, while every seat will be covered by a new roof that extends around the stadium.

The first tier of the stadium will be made steeper, while new screens and video scoreboards will be introduced.

Work on the new Camp Nou is scheduled to start in the 2017-18 season and will be completed by the 2021-22 campaign.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: Smaller Spanish clubs unlikely to match Leicester

11 March 2016

1023729header.jpg

Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique does not think the exploits of Leicester City are likely to be repeated by a lower-ranked club in La Liga.

Claudio Ranieri's side, who were tipped as relegation candidates ahead of the 2015-16 season, are shock leaders of the Premier League with a five-point lead over Tottenham with just nine matches to play.

But Luis Enrique does not think the stronghold of Atletico Madrid, Barca and Real Madrid – teams who have won the last 11 titles - is under threat in Spain.

He feels the quality of the big three in La Liga and the difference in how television money is allocated in the two nations gives Spanish sides too much to do.

"I don't know if it could happen in the Spanish league," said the Camp Nou boss.

"It is difficult that the big teams here have a bad season, we are talking about three big clubs – Atletico Madrid are one of them since three or four years ago.

"We have three big clubs here with Atletico, Real Madrid and ourselves - it could happen, but it is hard to see.

"It is unusual to see the big clubs away from the top spots. The circumstances in England are atypical.

"We are talking about Premier League, the league with bigger TV rights income and that makes possible to new teams to appear.

"This year, in the Premier League rare circumstances are happening, the title race is very open and the stronger clubs are not there to chase it."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona, Bartomeu and Rosell will not face trial in Neymar case

11 March 2016 09:38

A Spanish court has accepted appeals from Barcelona, club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and predecessor Sandro Rosell over allegations of tax fraud relating to the signing of Neymar.

The European champions confirmed in a statement late on Thursday that neither Bartomeu nor Rosell will face trial over allegations they defrauded Spanish tax authorities when the Brazil international was signed from Santos.

The club have also been cleared of tax offences in the same case after their appeals to a Barcelona provincial court were upheld.

"From this new situation, it arises that FC Barcelona, president Bartomeu and ex-president Rosell are no longer accused in this case," Barca's statement confirmed.

Prosecutors had called for prison sentences to be handed out to Bartomeu and Rosell and a significant fine levied against the club as a result of the alleged defrauding of public finances. For the case to be re-opened, prosecutors must submit fresh evidence and new charges brought.

A separate case involving a complaint from DIS investment group, who say they were damaged by Barca's refusal to divulge the true amount paid to secure Neymar's transfer from Santos, is ongoing.

Francisco

Alfrescian
Loyal

´It is not enough to be a beast at Barca´ – Dani Alves on Sanchez´s exit

14 March 2016

1025530header.jpg

Alexis Sanchez's departure from Barcelona does not mean he is a bad player, Dani Alves has stressed.

The Arsenal forward spent three seasons at Camp Nou between 2011 and 2014, scoring 38 goals in 88 La Liga games for the club before moving to England.

Alves feels the Chile international has proven he is a "beast of a player" but insisted that alone is no guarantee for success at Camp Nou.

The two players will do battle when Barcelona host Arsenal in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday.

"Alexis didn't fail at Barcelona but it's hard to play here because you have to understand the playing idea," the defender, 32, told the Daily Mail of his former team-mate.

"He's a great player and I always knew that he would be a success when he left, especially if he went somewhere he would be the protagonist. He's the kind of player who needs that.

"In the end, you are going to have the protagonism anyway but you have to understand that, at Barcelona, it's not enough just to be a great player.

"You need to have a great understanding of the way Barcelona play and, if you do, then you will have a long career here.

"Those that come and go, that doesn't mean they are bad players.

"They go somewhere else and they enjoy it because they are beasts, but at Barcelona it's not enough just to be a beast of a player."

Sanchez, 27, has scored 11 goals in 31 appearances for the Gunners in 2015-16.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aubameyang denies Madrid deal but reiterates desire for Liga move

14 March 2016

1025381header.jpg

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has underlined his desire to move to La Liga despite denying any agreement with Real Madrid is in place.

Borussia Dortmund rejected reports earlier this month that Madrid had reached a deal for the Gabon international to move to Santiago Bernabeu at the end of the season for €100million.

While Aubameyang says no such deal has been agreed, the 26-year-old once more stressed that he wants to keep a promise he made to his grandfather that he would play in Spain one day.

When asked about the Madrid reports, he told beIN Sports: "There's no agreement, but... I've already promised my grandfather that I would play there one day.

"As I have said many times, I would like to play in Spain and to have a good time until the end of my life."

The former Saint-Etienne forward also rejected suggestions he could be tempted to return to Ligue 1 to join newly crowned champions Paris Saint-Germain.

"PSG are not my objective," he said. "I can't say any more. I don't know why I have to go back to France when I left there three years ago."

Aubameyang has scored 33 goals in all competitions for Dortmund this season.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bakkali out of Euro 2016 after surgery

14 March 2016

1025529header.jpg

Zakaria Bakkali has been ruled out of contention for Belgium's Euro 2016 squad after Valencia confirmed he will miss the rest of the season following surgery.

The 20-year-old has been blighted by injury problems throughout much of his first season in La Liga and he has not played since the Copa del Rey semi-final second leg with Barcelona on February 10.

The former PSV winger is facing up to four months on the sidelines after an operation to fix a pubic complaint, meaning he is almost certain to be discounted from Marc Wilmots' plans for the European Championship finals in France, which begin on June 10.

"The player, accompanied in Belgium by the chief of the medical staff, Dr. Albors, was operated on on Monday," a Valencia statement confirmed.

"After the procedure, which was completed normally, the player will begin a period of recovery estimated to be three to four months."

Bakkali has made 19 appearances in all competitions for Valencia this season and has two Belgium caps to his name.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rafinha boost for Barcelona

17 March 2016

1027085header.jpg

Barcelona have received some encouraging news from the treatment table as Rafinha has been given the medical all-clear after a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to a knee injury.

The 23-year-old has been out of action since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in the 1-1 Champions League draw with Roma back in September 2015.

He recently returned to the training pitch and is now at the disposal of head coach Luis Enrique again.

"Rafinha received the medical green light on Thursday to provide a boost to the morning training session following Wednesday's Champions League win over Arsenal," a statement on the official Barcelona website reads.

"The Brazil international suffered a serious injury on September 16 against Roma in the group stages of the Champions League. After coming on as a substitute, the midfielder was on the receiving end of a tackle from [Radja] Nainggolan, which resulted in Rafinha tearing his anterior cruciate ligament.

"Before the injury, Rafinha was in top form having played six matches at the start of the season, four of which were as a starter. His return comes as at an ideal point of the campaign with important games ahead."

Francisco

Alfrescian
Loyal

Treble beckons for Barcelona – Xavi

17 March 2016

1027160header.jpg

Barcelona legend Xavi has backed Luis Enrique's squad to make history and replicate last season's domestic and European treble.

Wednesday's 3-1 victory over Arsenal in the Champions League ensured Barca's place in the last eight of the competition, the Catalan giants progressing 5-1 on aggregate.

As they edge closer to becoming the first side to retain the Champions League, Luis Enrique's side are also eight points clear at the top of La Liga and into the final of the Copa del Rey – where they will face Sevilla on May 22.

As well as captaining the side to glory last season, Xavi was also part of Pep Guardiola's treble-winning squad in 2008-09 and believes they can go all the way again.

"I saw both games against Arsenal. Barca is at a spectacular level," he is quoted as saying by Sport. "I think now [Barca] is the favourite to win it all, to win the treble.

"We know the Champions League is very complicated, but they are favourites. Now Barca are at a higher level to other teams.

"They are the best team in the world today."

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone frustrated by Liga scheduling after Sporting defeat

19 March 2016

1028491header.jpg

Diego Simeone took a swipe at the Liga schedulers for staging Atletico Madrid's clash with Sporting Gijon on Saturday but refused to blame it on their 2-1 defeat.

After needing extra-time and penalties to beat PSV in the Champions League on Tuesday, Atletico were back in action within four days while their title rivals Barcelona and Real Madrid both play 24 hours later.

Atletico started well at El Molinon thanks to Antoine Griezmann's 17th league goal of the season, but they tired late on and saw victory slip away.

Sporting levelled through Antonio Sanabria before substitute Carlos Costa snatched all three points, denting Atletico's faint title hopes.

Simeone told his post-match news conference: "We are pleased to be premium. We are premium because we played at 4pm and we have been watched in China. So, I am delighted because we are premium.

"But I do not like to look for excuses.

"We have always been aware of our goal. The aim of the club is to be third and we work in order to reach the club’s goal. We know in terms of numbers this defeat make things much tougher in order to have any chance to be champions in La Liga."

He added: "I congratulate my players, they have put in an enormous effort.

"We gave everything we had but in the last 10 minutes they pressed a lot. Sporting have very good players, they have lacked a little luck but if they go on like this they will achieve their goal [of survival].

"I want to congratulate Sporting because they played very well. We had control in the first half, but in the second they pressed and in the last 10 minutes we could not get out of that pressure."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fantastic weekend for Barcelona despite collapse - Luis Enrique

20 March 2016

1029164header.jpg

Luis Enrique felt Barcelona should be happy with what he described as a "fantastic" weekend despite Villarreal recovering from two goals down to draw 2-2 with the champions at El Madrigal on Sunday.

A goal from Ivan Rakitic and a controversial Neymar penalty had the visitors in control, but a second-half strike from Cedric Bakambu and an own goal by Jeremy Mathieu saw Luis Enrique's men pegged back.

Villarreal are the first side two recover from 2-0 down at half-time against Barca in La Liga since Real Sociedad in 2011 and the draw meant the visitors did not take full advantage of Atletico Madrid's shock 2-1 defeat at Sporting Gijon on Saturday.

But while they could not increase their advantage at the top to 11 points, Luis Enrique felt stretching it to nine was still reason to celebrate.

"The team behind us lost and we chalked up a point," said the head coach. "Any time we can earn more points than the team behind us, that’s fantastic.

"The result is a positive one. Picking up points over second place is always great and we are one game closer to our objective.

"The game was very tough against quality opposition. It was what we were expecting.

"Villarreal are very good and their stadium is a tough place to play. They know what they are going to do from the first touch and they are tough to stop."

Barcelona's next match is El Clasico against Real Madrid at Camp Nou on April 2, before they host Atletico Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final three days later.