• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane's sons left out of Real Madrid plans amid Fifa ban

2539802_heroa.jpg

By Alberto Pinero
Jan 16, 2016 21:25:00

Only Castilla player Enzo, who is 20, will take part in the club's various fixtures as the Blancos aim to show the world governing body a goodwill gesture

Three of Zinedine Zidane's four football-playing sons will be left out of Real Madrid's plans for the weekend, as the club reels from the transfer market ban handed down by Fifa.

Luca, Theo and Elyaz Zidane currently play in the club's youth divisions, and as under-18s have attracted attention following the punishment for the irregular signing of minors by Madrid and city rivals Atletico.

The pair have suffered a ban of two transfer windows, identical to that of Barcelona in 2015, and while their names have not been divulged two of Zidane's sons are implicated in the investigation into the dealings.

Goal understands that Real asked Fifa for confirmation that Zidane's three youngest sons would be eligible to play at the weekend, but on failing to receive an answer have decided to play it safe and keep them away from the pitch.

Eldest Enzo, 20, did feature for Castilla in a victory for the Madrid B team, but he is the only Zidane who will see action while the Fifa decision is analysed.

Real Madrid have already declared they disagree with the ruling, specifically in the part which concerns the former France international's offspring.

The club contests that all four of his sons entered the Blanco ranks while their father was employed in the capital: Enzo and Luca starting in 2004, with Zinedine as a player, while Theo and Elyaz began life at the Santiago Bernabeu after he had taken up a coaching position.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo open to MLS move

16 January 2016

991883header.jpg

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested that he would be open to a move to MLS at some stage in his career.

Ronaldo has a contract with Madrid until June 2018, but has been heavily linked with clubs such as Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United in recent months.

His agent Jorge Mendes recently stressed Ronaldo has no intention of leaving Madrid and wants to retire at the Santiago Bernabeu, but the three-time Ballon d'Or winner has now hinted he could move across the Atlantic.

"Maybe in the future there will be a good chance for me to play in America," the 30-year-old told GQ.

"You never know, but it’s something interesting. I consider it, of course, because as I’ve said, soccer there has become better and better.

"I think that this is maybe going to be possible."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid confirm Bale calf injury

19 January 2016

993728header.jpg

Real Madrid have confirmed Gareth Bale has suffered a muscle injury in his right calf.

The Wales international was forced off at half-time of Sunday's 5-1 win over Sporting Gijon after complaining of discomfort in his lower leg.

Former Tottenham star Bale had further tests on the problem at the Sanitas La Moraleja University Hospital and Madrid have released a statement to confirm "he has been diagnosed with soleus muscle injury in his right leg".

Initial reports in Spain have suggested Bale could miss up to three weeks of action as a result of the injury, although the club have simply stated his recovery progress will be continually assessed.

Madrid face Real Betis on Sunday before three more Liga matches against Espanyol, Granada and Athletic Bilbao prior to the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie with Roma on February 17.

Bale opened the scoring in Madrid's thrashing of Sporting prior to his withdrawal.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca have second Suarez appeal rejected

20 January 2016

994320header.jpg

Luis Suarez's two-match ban in the Copa del Rey has been upheld by the Spanish Administrative Tribunal for Sport (TAD) following a second Barcelona appeal.

The Uruguay striker was sanctioned for his involvement in a post-match altercation following Barca's 4-1 first-leg victory in their Copa quarter-final against rivals Espanyol.

After a game that saw Hernan Perez and Pape Diop sent off, Suarez was handed a two-game suspension after referee Juan Martinez Munuera's report accused him of provoking a confrontation between players from both clubs in the tunnel.

Suarez missed the second leg against Espanyol after Barca saw their first appeal rejected by the Spanish Football Federation and was left out of the squad for Wednesday's semi-final first leg against Athletic Bilbao.

The 28-year-old will now complete his suspension on Wednesday after Barca's appeal to TAD was also turned down.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Former Madrid president Calderon slams inflexible FIFA

20 January 2016

994251header.jpg

Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has slammed FIFA's lack of flexibility after the governing body imposed a transfer ban on the club.

This month Real and Atletico Madrid were banned from registering players for the next two complete transfer windows for breaches of regulations "relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18".

Both clubs are appealing the sanction and Calderon - president from 2006 to 2009 - told Omnisport: "I think FIFA should be more flexible with the interpretation of the rule.

"Almost all the children come here to fulfil a dream, to forget a difficult situation. And here, they can have a hope. During my nine years in Real Madrid, the club has given everything to them in terms of their sport and personal education.

"We take care of them given an opportunity, so maybe there are some cases where Madrid has broken the rules but I think FIFA should manage this matter with more flexibility."

Just over two weeks ago Zinedine Zidane took over as coach following the sacking of Rafael Benitez, the Frenchman assuming control of the first team having previously coached B team Real Madrid Castilla.

On Zidane's appointment, Calderon added: "He doesn't have any experience, just training a year-and-a-half in a third division team.

"He was a great player which gives him a huge advantage to know how to manage these kinds of players, he knows how it is working in a changing room with a lot of stars.

"All the players have worked with him and he has their respect. So he has the chance to get success but he is going to need a bit of luck."

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neville hits out at ´untrue´ media reports

23 January 2016 03:30

995913header.jpg

Valencia coach Gary Neville has hit out at "untrue" claims he had criticised his players in the dressing room after a game.

The Manchester United legend quoted a story from a Spanish media outlet which stated he had claimed some players were "not fit" to wear the Valencia shirt.

An upset Neville moved to quash the story in a press conference, stating he understood speculation and rumour surrounds the role of football managers, but would not accept incorrect stories from unbalancing his squad.

"This is wrong," he said.

"There is a line that is crossed. You can comment on the performance, you can say what you like, but I have to correct this position because it's very dangerous to think that this is correct. It is absolutely not correct.

"I don't mind whatever is said about me, but if I am misquoted through rumour and speculation, it is dangerous.

"Those players are fit to wear this shirt. They have fantastic talent. There are a lot of young players and they don't need to be reading things like this when it is not true."

Neville is still without a win in La Liga after taking over at the Mestalla in December.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres could become world´s highest-paid player - agent

22 January 2016 00:03

995253header.jpg

Fernando Torres has an offer to become the highest-paid player in the world, according to his agent Jose Antonio Martin ‘Peton’.

Torres is on loan at Atletico Madrid from AC Milan but his deal with the La Liga outfit is set to expire at the end of the 2015-16 season.

The 31-year-old has scored just twice in 16 games this season and has only seen out the full 90 minutes on one occasion.

And Torres' representative has urged the striker to hold talks with Atletico coach Diego Simeone about his future with the club.

"Fernando and Simeone should sit down and talk about it," he told the Sun.

"The fans of Madrid don’t want Torres to be told no continually.

"He has an offer that would make him the best-paid in the world. There are nuances. It all depends upon the will of the club.

"The feeling I get is this is something that must be resolved, not between [club chief Miguel Angel] Gil Marin or [technical director] Andrea Berta, but rather between Simeone and Torres, who are friends.

"He must either tell him [Torres], ‘I am counting on you or I am not counting on you.’

"The fans want his contract renewed and it is something that can’t be denied."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona star Neymar ruled out of Malaga clash

22 January 2016 19:08

995693header.jpg

Barcelona forward Neymar has been ruled out of Saturday's La Liga match at Malaga.

Neymar will not be risked owing a hamstring issue that prevented him from training with the rest of his team-mates on Friday.

Defender Gerard Pique is also out of the game through suspension, while Jordi Alba and Rafinha are still injured.

However, coach Luis Enrique did confirm Lionel Messi had shrugged off a hamstring problem of his own to play and he is indeed named in the 18-man party for the game.

Neymar, who came third in the 2015 Ballon d'Or, has only missed two league matches this season and has scored 16 times in 17 top-flight appearances.

Barca go into the match two points adrift of leaders Atletico Madrid with a game in hand and, with Diego Simeone's men not playing Sevilla until Sunday, victory would put them top of the table.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo not leaving Madrid - Perez

26 January 2016 17:06

997877header.jpg

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez insists Cristiano Ronaldo will not be leaving the Santiago Bernabeu with the club facing a two-window ban on registering new players.

Ronaldo has established himself as the leading star in Madrid since his arrival from Manchester United in 2009, recently surpassing Raul's club record of 323 goals by scoring 27 times in as many appearances this season.

The Portuguese has been persistently linked with a transfer to Paris Saint-Germain, with pictures of him whispering to Laurent Blanc after the two teams' Champions League meeting earlier this season reigniting such rumours, while a return to United has also been touted.

The Madrid president is unsurprised the wealthy French side covet Ronaldo, but says there is no chance the 30-year-old will leave.

"I am not surprised [by PSG's interest]. Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world and he is the leader of Real Madrid," Perez told France Football.

"It's normal that other clubs dream of having him. He is [Alfredo] Di Stefano's heir and he is very happy here, so he is not going to leave Real Madrid.

"He is the best player in the world and he has to keep playing for the best team in the world."

Perez is so confident Ronaldo will remain at Madrid, he added they have no plans to bring in any new additions despite receiving a two-window ban on registering new players from FIFA for breaching rules relating to the transferring of players under the age of 18 on January 14.

"The FIFA sanction is hurtful. It is a very serious matter to smear Real Madrid's reputation in this way," he added.

"We are convinced that it is all a mistake; it is ridiculous to think that Real Madrid will be punished for a matter concerning the protection of minors when the children have always been a priority for us.

"We are not going to be making any signings in the January window but that doesn't have anything to do with the ban, it is because we have the best players and the best coach."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Madrid boosted by Bale return

26 January 2016 16:42

997864header.jpg

Gareth Bale moved a step closer to a Real Madrid return on Tuesday after returning to training.

The Wales international was not present last weekend as Madrid lost ground to Barcelona in the Liga title race, a calf injury keeping him out of the 1-1 draw at Real Betis.

Barca took command in the title race as they saw off Malaga 2-1, taking top spot off Atletico Madrid, who were held 0-0 by Sevilla.

He could return against Espanyol this weekend after training alone, the forward tweeting: "Steadily strengthening… Getting closer to the pitch!"

In a statement Madrid confirmed Bale's comeback and gave more detail of his initial training drills, they said: "Real Madrid returned to training and went through a session focused on physical work.

"The main story was the presence of Gareth Bale training alone back out on the field.

"The Welshman did some running and specific exercises in the sand, both with and without the ball."

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone won´t reveal outcome of Torres talks

26 January 2016 20:10

998000header.jpg

Diego Simeone has chosen not to reveal the outcome of his talks with Fernando Torres over the striker's Atletico Madrid future.

The 31-year-old's deal at the Vicente Calderon is due to expire at the end of the season and, despite club captain Gabi giving his backing to Atleti making Torres' move from AC Milan permanent, there has yet to be any concrete progress in negotiations.

A FIFA registration ban, set to prevent the Liga side from bringing in new players during the next two complete transfer windows, is likely to complicate matters should the club's appeal against the sanction fail.

Simeone has confirmed talks have taken place between himself and Torres, who has not played since January 6, but refused to elaborate on the player's future.

"We've spoken with Fernando," he told the media on Tuesday. "He knows what I think and he's told me what he thinks. The chat stays between us, but we're still calm."

Simeone would not rule out some departures before the end of the transfer window, however.

Atleti have already bolstered their squad with the arrival of Augusto Fernandez and Matias Kranevitter, the latter having come to the end of a loan spell at River Plate.

"You're always unsettled during transfer windows," Simeone said. "There are agents talking, directors thinking of the best possible things for us. Hopefully whatever is decided will give us the chance of staying competitive.

"It's normal that the boys are thinking about the need to play. They're footballers and the best thing about sport is competing."

Liga president Javier Tebas confirmed on Tuesday that he would not consider a change in the scheduling of the Madrid derby on February 27, despite Atletico's frustrations that the game will take place just three days after their trip to face PSV in the Champions League round of 16.

Simeone, however, would not be drawn into the debate over the fixture timings, adding: "In life, there are excuses and realities. I live in realities, because that's what there is. There are always people who manage this kind of situation but unfortunately we're on the sidelines. We can only prepare ourselves and stay strong.

"The most difficult game is against Celta Vigo [in the Copa del Rey] because it's tomorrow. We know what the difficulties are, we know how we are and how our opponent is, we've learned a lot in the last few days. It will be an intense game.

"I'm focused solely on the game with Celta. Thinking about another would be dangerous for tomorrow.

"We play every game as if it were a final. We know the importance the Copa has, how beautiful it was to receive it at the Bernabeu [in 2013], and we give it a lot of care and respect. We'll play with the intention of doing the best we can."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid transfer ban suspended during appeal

29 January 2016

999819header.jpg

La Liga side Real Madrid have joined cross-city rivals Atletico Madrid in having their FIFA-imposed sanction against registering players temporarily lifted.

Both Real and Atletico were hit with bans in January after FIFA's Disciplinary Committee found them to be in breach of regulations "relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18".

Spanish champions Barcelona were hit with a sanction for a similar punishment in 2014, which expired this month.

Both clubs have appealed the two-window ban, which is not due to take effect until the transfer window at the end of the 2015-16 season and the subsequent registration period in January 2017.

After Atletico confirmed that the ban would be temporarily suspended while the appeal is ongoing, Real did likewise in an official statement.

"Real Madrid CF announced that the FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to provisionally suspend the sanction imposed on the club," the club said.

In Barca's case, the club appealed to FIFA shortly after the decision was made in April and, when the sanction was suspended, they were permitted to make signings prior to their treble-winning 2014-15 season.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico transfer ban lifted during appeal

29 January 2016

999802header.jpg

Atletico Madrid have confirmed they will be able to register new players while they are appealing against their FIFA transfer ban.

Diego Simeone's team, along with their city rivals Real Madrid, were hit with bans this month after the Disciplinary Committee of world football's governing body found them to be in breach of regulations "relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18".

Both clubs have appealed against the two-window ban, which is not due to take effect until the transfer window at the end of the 2015-16 season and subsequent registration period in January 2017.

Atletico have now been informed that the ban will be temporarily suspended while the appeal process is completed.

"FIFA's Appeal Committee grants us the probationary suspension of the sanction pending the outcome of the appeal," the club said.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neymar: I never provoke people

29 January 2016

999417header.jpg

Barcelona star Neymar has defended his way of playing following heavy criticism from Athletic Bilbao forward Aritz Aduriz.

Aduriz believes Neymar has to change his attitude, with Bilbao players previously accusing the Brazil international of showboating and showing a lack of respect.

However, Neymar claims his style of play is always going to receive some hard tackles, and he refuses to change his approach to the game.

"I don't provoke, my style of play is to dribble. I am a forward and I can't ask to play centrally," he told BeIN Sports.

"The people who don't like football don't like dribbling, but for me it's fine. I don't care what they say because I have to help my team with dribbling and goals, that's what I have to do.

"To me Aduriz is a great player, a great leader, but I think he is wrong with what he said.

"I get knocked and kicked, and what can I do? I can't do anything, I can't hit back, it's not my way of playing.

"My way of playing is to dribble, my aim is to make goals and I think he has got a little wrong what he's said. But I respect him because he's a great forward.

The 23-year-old added: "When you can't catch a fast player or one who dribbles, there are tackles and there are kicks, and I am accustomed to that.

"I already know that inside the pitch, during a game, there will be hits and after you have to recover for the next game."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neville's Valencia nightmare goes on… is he simply DOOMED to fail?

2613892_heroa.jpg

By Sam Marsden
Jan 31, 2016 21:00:00

The Manchester United legend has suffered a difficult start to life as head coach at Los Che and now needs to prove why he was the right choice

Gary Neville is finding life on the touchline much harder than he found life in the television studio. During his years with Sky Sports, he brought together football fans who had previously hated on him as a player, with the majority of the footballing world - in England, at least - falling for his analytical skills and his eye for depth within the game which would otherwise go unseen by Joe Public.

However, almost two months into his reign as Valencia boss, he's already feeling the pressure of top-level management. Neville turned down seven jobs - two of which were in the Premier League - before taking over at Mestalla. He'd have been a fool not to expect a challenge in Spain. Outside of the Clasico duopoly, Los Che are one of, if not the country's biggest club. That brings expectation and pressure, though.

A second-half penalty saw Valencia go down to relegation-threatened Sporting Gijon on Sunday. It ended a 22-game unbeaten run at home in the league, stretching back to 2014, leaving them without a victory in 11 La Liga outings. Neville has been in charge for eight of those and he was at a loss to explain how they failed to record a handsome win against the Asturian side.

2613162.jpg

"You cannot explain that game," he said in his post-game press conference. "You cannot explain how it's finished 1-0 against Valencia, we were the better team from the first minute until the last minute. It could have been 5-1."

But Valencia fans are entitled to an explanation when they look over their shoulder and see the relegation zone six points behind them. Meanwhile, looking up, fourth-placed Villarreal are 19 points in front.

After the Sporting loss, a group of fans gathered outside Mestalla and, marshalled by the police, aired their grievances. "We've had it up our balls," was one chant. "Mercenaries," was another. Valencia fans haven't got it in for Neville - not just yet - but they are fed up with a number of things currently going on at the club.

With €140 million spent over the last two years on shiny new players, they're entitled to expect better. However, they're current frustrations are aimed at those signings who are not performing - Alvaro Negredo missed four guilt-edged chances against Sporting - at the men behind the scenes, the men responsible for appointing the club's managers and, lastly, at Neville's unconvincing start.

One journalist suggested, though, that the fans are already completely against Neville. The 40-year-old rejected that claim and, perhaps giving in to a little bit of early pressure, gave a stinging response.

"You're asking me about my position," he said, making it clear he understood the meaning behind the question as it was translated from Spanish to English. "The Valencia fans have a very fine way of telling you about when your position [is under threat], but you didn't see that today.

"I find this question ridiculous. It's from you, don't put this onto the fans. Please don't sit there and put this on the fans, it's a big mistake you're making. You misrepresent what they've shown from the first minute to the last and your job as a reporter - and I've been a reporter - is to represent fairly what happens and, in my opinion, that doesn't represent what has happened among the 30,000 or 40,000 fans there today."

Earlier in the press conference Neville had claimed he's still sleeping at night as the performances have been improving, even if the results have not corresponded and he had come to greet the media following a 15-minute "talk" in the dressing room with his coaching staff and players. Something, clearly, needs to change.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Valencia lose again; Sevilla march on

31 January 2016

1000968header.jpg

Pressure is growing on Gary Neville after Valencia once more failed to win in La Liga, with Sporting Gijon recording a 1-0 victory at the Mestalla on Sunday.

The former Manchester United man took charge of Valencia after their 1-1 draw with Barcelona in early December, but has since gone eight league games without a win.

Valencia's poor run of form has seen them drop to 12th place in the table with 25 points from 22 games, a massive 19 points off the Champions League places.

Neville's men fell a goal behind shortly after the interval when Antonio Sanabria converted a penalty to break the deadlock.

Alvaro Negredo hit the post shortly after, before wasting another huge chance with 15 minutes to play as Valencia ended up empty handed once more and their 22-match unbeaten home run was consigned to history.

Elsewhere Sevilla made it seven wins from their last eight games in all competitions as they beat Levante 3-1.

Kevin Gameiro opened the scoring in the first minute after some great work from Vicente Iborra, before the latter made it two early in the second half.

Giuseppe Rossi pulled one back for Levante in the 55th minute, but Yevhen Konoplyanka eventually made it three in the 76th minute to put the match to bed.

Nolito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona will not sign Nolito - Bartomeu

31 January 2016

1000631header.jpg

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu ruled out the signing of Nolito in the January transfer window but hinted there could be other additions to the squad.

Nolito has been heavily linked with Barcelona in recent weeks after the 29-year-old's impressive form for Celta Vigo in 2015-16.

The former Barcelona B forward has scored eight goals in 15 appearances in La Liga this season, but has missed their last five fixtures due to injury.

However, Bartomeu has put an end to any rumours of a possible transfer, claiming Barcelona's "debt limitation" means there is no chance Nolito will return to the Camp Nou this transfer period.

"In these past few days there has been so much talk about a player," he told Cadena Ser.

"But the club obviously can't, we have a limitation on our debt and with that we can't do anything about it."

However, in regards to any other additions, Bartomeu responded with: "You never know."

Barcelona moved three points clear at the top of the La Liga table on Saturday after a 2-1 victory over title rivals Atletico Madrid.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia sign Siqueira from Atletico

31 January 2016

1001139header.jpg

Valencia have completed the signing of Guilherme Siqueira from Atletico Madrid, subject to a successful medical.

The left-back, who has been the subject of reported interest from Newcastle United during the winter transfer window, is due to undergo a medical on Monday prior to his official presentation at the Mestalla.

Siqueira arrived in Spanish football from Udinese in 2010 and has gone on to become one of the highest regarded full-backs in La Liga.

The 29-year-old played 26 times for Atletico and leaves Diego Simeone's side after 18 months at the Vicente Calderon.

Meanwhile, Valencia have allowed Argentinian defender Lucas Orban to join Levante on loan until the end of the season.

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neymar arrives to testify in father's fraud case

53bba543c7ec567766aca70079651609cbd20450.jpg

By Ben Hayward
Feb 2, 2016 16:25:00

The Brazilian turned up for his appointment at Audencia Nacional, where allegations of fraud in Barcelona's €40 million payment to his father are being investigated

Barcelona star Neymar arrived at court on Tuesday to testify in the ongoing case investigating allegations of fraud related to the club's €40 million payment to his father during his 2013 transfer.

The Brazil international was due at Audencia Nacional at 17:00 CET (16:00 GMT) to give evidence and arrived quietly with his entourage.

The deal which brought him to Camp Nou from Santos came under investigation in early 2014, prompting the resignation of then-club president Sandro Rosell. The court case was brought forward by Brazilian investment company DIS, which claims that it suffered financial damages when Barca allegedly withheld the true value of the deal.

Rosell and his successor, Josep Maria Bartomeu, appeared at court on Monday to give their testimony.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Under-fire Neville won´t resign after Camp Nou thrashing

3 February 2016

1003054header.jpg

Gary Neville insists he will not quit as Valencia head coach after watching his struggling side suffer a 7-0 thrashing at the hands of Barcelona at Camp Nou.

Luis Suarez scored four goals and Lionel Messi also hit a hat-trick as holders Barcelona ran riot in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final on Wednesday.

Neville is yet to win a Liga match since taking charge at the start of December, but he intends to fight on.

Asked if he planned to resign in the wake of the result, Neville said: "No. But it was the most painful night.

"I've had some as a player and now I've had some as a manager. We have made so many silly errors that you can't make at any level, let alone against this team."

Pressed again about what the result meant for his future, a dismissive Neville replied: "Next question."

On the game, the former Manchester United and England defender said: "I wish the match against [Real] Betis [this Saturday] could start in 10 minutes.

"This is one of the worst experiences I've ever gone through in football. I am not going to sleep well. The fans do not deserve this.

"I did not like what I saw. The game was lost before we fell to 10 men [Shkodran Mustafi was sent when the score was 3-0]."

Jesus Garcia Pitarch, Valencia's sporting director, apologised to the club's fans for the result.

"This day you can't explain," he said.

"We must apologise to fans for one of worst results in our history.

"I never talk about tactical or team things. Everyone can draw opinion from what happened. Not the day to talk about the future."