• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale: This is why I came to 'biggest club in the world' Real Madrid

397578_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 29, 2014 10:28:23 PM

The Welshman believes Bayern Munich's tactics played into his side's hands as Carlo Ancelotti's side romped into the Champions League final

Gareth Bale says Real Madrid 's 4-0 thrashing of Bayern Munich on Tuesday proved why he was right to join "the biggest club in the world" last summer.

Sergio Ramos opened the scoring on the night with two goals early in the first half before Cristiano Ronaldo scored a double of his own, breaking Lionel Messi's record for goals in a single Champions League campaign by taking his tally for the season to 16.

The 5-0 aggregate victory - following their 1-0 win at home a week ago - fires them into the final of the competition for the first time since 2002 and Bale believes the holders's style played into Madrid's hands as they moved a step closer to their 10th European title.

"It's a fantastic result for us," the Welshman told ITV . "I think we've been working hard, we got our tactics right and I thought we played very well tonight and deserved the win.

"I suppose they played into our hands. They always leave space on the counterattacking, which we like. We've got quick players and we have to exploit that. It was a great performance and we're happy to be in the final now. But there's still one step to go.

"You have to do certain jobs for the team in certain games and everyone put in 100 per cent tonight. No matter who it was, they put in a performance and it showed in the result.

"This is definitely why I came to Madrid. This is why I wanted to come to the biggest club in the world. To win trophies, to win massive games. We still haven't won it yet, we've got a difficult game in the final whoever it may be and we're looking forward to it."

Carlo Ancelotti's men will face either Chelsea or Atletico Madrid in May's Champions League final.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lahm 'bitter' after Madrid's Bayern battering

397582_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 29, 2014 10:45:57 PM

The captain was left fuming after the European champions were humbled on Tuesday thanks to two goals apiece from Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo

Philipp Lahm was left "incredibly bitter" after Bayern Munich crumbled to a 5-0 aggregate Champions League semi-final exit at the hands of Real Madrid on Tuesday.

The reigning European champions headed into the second leg at the Allianz Arena with only a slender 1-0 deficit but two Sergio Ramos goals and a Cristiano Ronaldo strike quickly put Carlo Ancelotti's men firmly on the front foot.

A late Ronaldo free kick added insult to injury and sealed a 4-0 win on the night, and the Bundesliga champions' captain was highly critical of how the team played out the clash in comparison to the relatively even opening leg at Santiago Bernabeu.

"The disappointment is huge," Lahm, 30, told reporters after the defeat. "We wanted it a lot but then we were 2-0 down after 20 minutes thanks to two set pieces.

"This is incredibly bitter and disappointing. We believe it's better to go for zonal marking at set pieces. We went down early again, then it was 2-0. We did not play well tactically, we had an open game way too early.

"While we controlled the first leg, we gave them an end-to-end game today, that's not our way of playing. They like it though."

Madrid will now face city rivals Atletico Madrid or Chelsea in next month's final.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern were awful - Guardiola

397592_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 29, 2014 11:24:49 PM

The Catalan coach had no excuse for his team's battering at home to Real Madrid and says Tuesday's loss is one of the hardest defeats of his career

Pep Guardiola described Bayern Munich's performance as "awful" after his team exited the Champions League with a 4-0 embarrassment at home to Real Madrid.

The Bavarians were completely outgunned as doubles from Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo condemned the holders to an ignominious 5-0 aggregate elimination at the semi-final stage on Tuesday.

Guardiola, whose side put up much more of a fight in the 1-0 loss last week at Santiago Bernabeu, sought no excuses for the Allianz Arena humiliation.

"Everything happens in football from playing well," the former Barcelona boss told reporters. "I've have had several hard defeats in my career and this is one of them.

"We conceded goals from set pieces, but we played awful, it's the only reason we lost. There's no other reason, it's just football.

"When you are playing bad, you concede a lot. We came out very energised, it was a back-and-forth game, we could have scored with our chances, but we didn't. Us playing bad is the only one explanation for this defeat."

Bayern, who already have the Club World Cup and the Bundesliga won this season, have one final chance to claim silverware in the DFB-Pokal final on May 17 against Borussia Dortmund, in what will be a repeat of last year's Champions League final.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Madrid exposed Bayern's limitations, admits Rummenigge

397584_heroa.jpg

By Jon Fisher
Apr 29, 2014 11:00:25 PM

The Bayern supremo admitted his side were second-best on the night as the Spanish giants marched into the final with a 5-0 aggregate win

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge felt his side’s limitations were exposed by Real Madrid as Pep Guardiola’s men were hammered 4-0 at Allianz Arena on Tuesday night.

Title holders Bayern came into the Champions League semi-final second leg attempting to erase a 1-0 deficit but were ruthlessly caught out at the other end as two Sergio Ramos headers and a double from Cristiano Ronaldo saw Madrid ease to victory.

The nature of the loss will again raise questions about Guardiola’s philosophy and Rummenigge admitted some of Bayern's weaknesses were highlighted by Carlo Ancelotti's approach.

He told Sky : “We showed too little passion to cause problems for the opponent.

“We were unlucky to concede from two set pieces. After that it was clear that Real would probably go to the final.

“You have to state it clearly: Real Madrid is a great team at the moment. And they have shown us some of our limitations today. Real Madrid has limited our offense. And they have regularly caused trouble for our defence with their quick players.

“This was one of those matches. We must keep our nerve."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti praises 'perfect' Real Madrid after Bayern thrashing

397595_heroa.jpg

Apr 30, 2014 12:29:00 AM

The coach was thrilled with the performances of Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema but gutted that Xabi Alonso will miss the final through suspension

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti hailed his team's "perfect" display after they reached the Champions League final on Tuesday.

Doubles from Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo saw the Liga giants to a 4-0 second-leg thrashing of Bayern Munich at Allianz Arena, completing a 5-0 aggregate win.

Ancelotti was predictably delighted after the Blancos executed their counterattacking style in dream fashion in Germany.

"We played a perfect match, especially in the first half, because we defended well and attacked efficiently," the Italian told a news conference.

"We are happy because we beat a tough team who won the title last year."

Ramos headed in two first-half goals, the first from a Luka Modric corner and the second following Angel Di Maria's free kick before Gareth Bale set up Ronaldo on the break.

Ronaldo completed the scoring on 90 minutes with a clever free kick under a jumping Bayern defensive wall and their coach was full of praise for his attacking trio, though he was left aggrieved at the booking which will see Xabi Alonso miss the final

"Bale, Karim Benzema and Cristiano sacrificed themselves for the team tonight," Ancelotti added.

"The president, Florentino Perez, is happy and congratulated everyone. We are just sad that Xabi Alonso will miss the final. The yellow card was unfair. Xabi very important for us and everyone is sad he will miss the final."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea will exploit Atletico errors, warns Tiago

397491_heroa.jpg

Miles Chambers
Apr 29, 2014 9:51:38 PM

The former Blues midfielder is relishing the prospect of reaching the Champions League final but is aware of how dangerous Jose Mourinho's men can be

Atletico Madrid midfielder Tiago has warned his team-mates that Chelsea will exploit any errors in Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second leg.

The Rojiblancos were held to a 0-0 draw by the Blues at the Vicente Calderon last week as they pursue their first Champions League or European Cup triumph.

Tiago, who spent a single season at Stamford Bridge in 2004-05, does not think the team's lack of experience in the latter stages of the competition harms their chances of progression but accepts the visitors will have to eradicate any mistakes to make the final in Lisbon against Real Madrid.

"The teams know each other very well," the 32-year-old told reporters. "We know Chelsea are a team who expect the opponents to make a mistake, and they will take advantage of that.

"But we need to exploit our own qualities. We'll try to win the game and focus on how well we play.

"We are experienced. We haven't been in the Champions League for a few years, that's true, but we're feeling confident. I look at my team-mates and I have full confidence in them all. I see a team fully capable and ready to take on any team."

Tiago admits it would be a dream to play in the Champions League showpiece at the end of a season which could also see them land La Liga title.

"We're not thinking about mistakes. We're thinking about doing things well," the Portuguese added. "This is a great opportunity to get to a final, which is every player's dream.

"We know it'll be very difficult because Chelsea don't leave any spaces, but we need to find a solution for that. We know Chelsea will start strongly. They're well organised and will try to take advantage of set pieces.

"We'll have to do the same, and take advantage of the possession we have. We have similar virtues to them, and we'll just try to prove stronger in the end. We'll just try to play as well as we can and tap into our own qualities."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone: Nothing wrong with Chelsea parking the bus

397526_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 29, 2014 9:14:00 PM

The Argentine, whose Atletico side failed to score against a defensively-minded Blues team, stressed football would be boring if everyone played the same way

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has defended Jose Mourinho from accusations that Chelsea have been simply 'parking the bus' in recent games and insists that a variety of styles is what makes football great.

The Blues left 10 men behind the ball for much of the Champions League semi-final first leg at the Vicente Calderon and came away with a 0-0, then employed similar tactics at Premier League title rivals Liverpool at the weekend en route to a 2-0 win.

The system has seen Mourinho come under fire for a perceived lack of attacking intent, but Simeone insisted that such focus on defence is difficult and believes it would be dull if every club played in the same fashion.

"I'm a football man and I respect different ways of setting up a team for a match," the Argentine told reporters. "It always depends on what you believe is the best way for a specific game or a specific opponent.

"I know that to defend well is not easy, so I congratulate teams who do that well. At the same time, to attack well isn't easy, either. So you have to congratulate coaches who get their sides doing that.

"Football evolves, it changes all the time. There is no 'best way' of playing, nobody can give you the 'truth' about football.

"It also depends on the manager spending a lot of time with his players, talking different set-ups and tactics, different approaches and styles. But, in the end, it's important the team, the club, the institution wins, regardless of how it is achieved.

"There is no 'one way' to play football. If we all played the same way, it would be very boring. You can play 10 at the back or 10 up front. What matters is the result."

The winner of the clash at Stamford Bridge between Atletico and Chelsea will face either Bayern Munich or Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hazard ready to start for Chelsea against Atletico, says Mourinho

396506_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 29, 2014 7:49:00 PM

The Belgium international has recovered from a calf strain and could face the Liga leaders in the crucial clash at Stamford Bridge, with the aggregate score standing at 0-0

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Eden Hazard has returned to fitness and is ready to start the Champions League semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.

The Belgium international suffered a calf strain during the 2-0 victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the last round and has not featured since, missing the first leg in Spain and the top-of-the-table Premier League clash with Liverpool at the weekend.

But Mourinho has now revealed Hazard is in contention to start against Atletico on Wednesday.

"Hazard is ready, it's my decision if he starts but he's ready," he told reporters.

Chelsea know a win will see them reach the Champions League final in Lisbon, having drawn the first leg at the Vicente Calderon 0-0, and Mourinho insists he "trusts" his players to get a result at Stamford Bridge.

"It's a knockout game, a game where maybe one goal is the difference. Everybody needs to be at the top level. During the 90 minutes the players are more important than the manager but I trust them and that helps me."

John Terry and Petr Cech also trained ahead of the crunch clash, and could feature at Stamford Bridge, with Mourinho confirming the former will start the second leg.

He said: "His partnership with (Gary) Cahill is fantastic, he deserves more than the Champions League has given him up until now. He starts tomorrow."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cech, Hazard and Terry return to training ahead of Atletico clash

394273_heroa.jpg

Apr 29, 2014 12:23:00 PM

The goalkeeper and captain were not expected to play again this season after both picking up knocks in the Champions League semi-final first leg, but all three could now feature

Chelsea captain John Terry, goalkeeper Petr Cech and attackers Eden Hazard and Samuel Eto'o all took part in training ahead of Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second-leg clash with Atletico Madrid.

Terry and Cech both picked up knocks in the first leg at Vicente Calderon and neither player were expected to play again this season, with the Czech international diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder.

Hazard, meanwhile, picked up a a hamstring injury in the quarter-final against Paris Saint-Germain, a match the Blues would go on to win despite the Belgian's early withdrawal, while Eto'o has featured sporadically due to an ongoing knee problem.

But all four players were on the training field at Chelsea's Cobham base on Tuesday morning and took part in fitness drills, though it remains to be seen whether they are in contention for a place in the squad to face Atleti on Wednesday.

Though he joined in with the fitness exercises, Cech did not accompany Hilario and Mark Schwarzer as the two goalkeepers were put though their paces.

The Australian shot-stopper, fresh from a clean sheet at Anfield, is still expected to start against the Liga leaders.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Calm' Chelsea and 'excited' Atlético start all square

Published: Tuesday 29 April 2014, 21.27CET

José Mourinho, boosted by positive injury news, believes Chelsea FC's semi-final could not be better balanced; Diego Simeone declared Club Atlético de Madrid "excited and keen".

by Jamie Reid
from London

2098224_w2.jpg

Willian (left) and David Luiz (centre) will miss the final if they are booked and Chelsea win ©AFP/Getty Images

José Mourinho believes Chelsea FC's UEFA Champions League semi-final with Club Atlético de Madrid could not be more closely balanced as they begin Wednesday's Stamford Bridge second leg at 0-0.

Mourinho is missing the banned Frank Lampard and John Obi Mikel, but injured quartet Eden Hazard, Samuel Eto'o, John Terry and, most surprisingly, Petr Čech all trained on Tuesday. The presence of any of them would be a huge boost against an Atlético side "excited and keen" according to Diego Simeone despite captain Gabi's ban.

Chelsea
José Mourinho, manager

They are a good side. They are not a counterattacking side. They are a good side. They defend well. They score goals. They win matches! They are in the semi-finals of the Champions League and need two victories to be Spanish champions.

Atlético were my direct rivals for three seasons but I always felt a relationship of respect with the club. I have respect for what they are doing because to be in a Champions League semi-final is not for every club, and to have the possibility of winning the league against Barcelona and Real Madrid is something that deserves my respect.

It is a knockout game, a game of details, a game where maybe one goal is the difference. It is a game where everybody needs to be at the top level. For the 90 minutes the players are more important than the manager, I trust them a lot and that helps me to be calm.

Against Paris we were in a position where we had nothing to lose and no one really expecting us to turn the result around. At the moment, it is a 'clean' result, it is 0-0 and the chances are equal. We are at home but a score draw is good for them and not for us; you cannot say who has the advantage.

Weekend result

Sunday: Liverpool FC 0-2 Chelsea (Ba 45+3, Willian 90+4)
Schwarzer; Azpilicueta, Ivanović, Kalas, Cole; Mikel, Matić, Lampard; Salah (Willian 60), Ba (Torres 84), Schürrle (Cahill 77).

• Chelsea closed to within two points of Premier League leaders Liverpool thanks to victory at Anfield where the Blues defended as staunchly as in the first leg in Madrid.

Team news

Asked if Terry, who injured his ankle in the first leg, will start, Mourinho said: "Of course," while the captain himself added: "I wouldn't put the team at any risk but I am fully fit." Hazard, recovered from a calf problem, is also "ready" according to Mourinho.

Čech, thought to be out for weeks after dislocating his shoulder in Madrid last week, also trained and hinted he felt he was ready to start ahead of Mark Schwarzer but the manager stated: "His condition doesn't give him a chance." It remains to be seen if Eto'o has fully recovered from his knee injury. Lampard and Mikel are suspended.

Atlético
Diego Simeone, coach

The confidence is always there, especially in a semi-final of the Champions League. That's already a massive statement. My players are excited and keen. We know we'll have to work hard tomorrow in a very difficult game, and we'll have to put in an enormous effort to get a positive result.

I'm not focusing on where we are at the moment. I just want us to keep moving forward, not on what we've achieved. I usually let you guys talk about the progress we've undertaken in the last three years of success, but I'm not comparing Atlético Madrid with Chelsea, a team who won the Champions League two years ago. In the end the best team will win. With our hard work and our enthusiasm, we can do well and maybe get a positive result.

I'm a football man. I respect different ways of setting out your team. It's about what's the best way for a specific game or a specific opposition. To defend well is not easy, so I congratulate teams who do that well. To attack well isn't easy, either. So you have to congratulate managers who get their sides doing that. Football evolves. There is no 'best way'. It depends on the manager spending time with his players, talking different set-ups and tactics, different approaches and styles.

But, in the end, it's important the team, the club, the institution wins, regardless of how it is achieved. There is no 'one way' to play football. If we all played the same way, it would be very boring. You can play ten at the back or ten up front. What matters is the result.

Weekend result

Sunday: Valencia 0-1 Atlético (Raúl García 43)
Courtois; Juanfran, Filipe Luís, Miranda, Godín; Gabi, Tiago, Koke, Raúl García (Sosa 69, Alderweireld 90+3); Diego Costa, Villa (Arda Turan 60).

• Victory this weekend extended Liga leaders Atlético's unbeaten league run to nine games, 14 fixtures in all competitions.

Team news

Defender Javi Manquillo is in the squad but is not expected to feature due to a neck injury. Gabi is suspended.

Match fact

Atlético have won only once in nine away fixtures against English sides, losing four and drawing four. Their sole success was a 2-0 win at Leicester City FC in the 1997/98 UEFA Cup first round.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I made a mistake' - Guardiola apologises for Bayern defeat

397592_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Apr 30, 2014 2:29:27 PM

The Spaniard has apologised for the humiliating defeat his side suffered in their Champions League tie and insists his team cannot win every title

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola says he made a mistake in his side's Champions League semi-final loss to Real Madrid on Tuesday and apologised to the club's fans.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos struck braces in Real's 4-0 second-leg thrashing of the Bundesliga champions at the Allianz Arena, completing a 5-0 aggregate victory.

And Guardiola admitted it was his error that led to Bayern's humiliating defeat, but insisted it's impossible for the team to win every title.

"We played badly when we had the ball. That's my responsibility. I made a mistake," the Spaniard told reporters.

"I was wrong on some tactical issues. It’s my responsibility. When you don’t play well, these things happen against great rivals, but I’m disappointed.

"This team has to win everything so that people are happy. Sometime it’s not possible. I’m sorry for the disappointment of not playing well.

"Three years ago Bayern won zero titles in a season. If you win the league it may be enough but we knew that this year could only equal the past. We won’t but that’s the sport.

"Today there has been a team that has been better. I still have the impression we’ve had a good Champions League campaign but Real Madrid had the quality and the first-half won it for them."

"It’s difficult for me and my players. I’m still proud of them.

"The reason for the defeat isn’t related to the possession. Football is played with the ball and then there are other things.

"It was a bit better in the first-leg, but congratulations to Real Madrid."

Guardiola lamented his side's defending from set-pieces, with Ramos heading in a corner and free-kick in the first half.

Ronaldo netted on the counter-attack before half-time and completed the scoring with a cheeky free-kick which went under a jumping Bayern defensive wall.

"We have to carry on now. If you don't play well and you defend set-pieces badly, that's just how it is. You are being punished," Guardiola said.

"We are at the highest level in Europe; such mistakes are punished right away."

Guardiola said he had been hopeful Bayern could reproduce the performances they put in against Premier League sides Arsenal and Manchester United earlier in the knockout stages.

"What we did against Arsenal and Manchester [United] did not work today," he said.

"Also in the first-leg in Madrid we had more control than today and at least a couple of chances. Today, just a few. That's why we have lost the semi-final.

"You play with the ball and if you don't have it that doesn't work."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern collapse started weeks ago, claims Beckenbauer

377775_heroa.jpg

Matthew Rogerson
Apr 30, 2014 10:47:16 AM

The Germany legend has voiced his disappointment with the Bavarians' performances ever since they wrapped up the Bundesliga title

Bayern Munich's honorary president Franz Beckenbauer feels on-field matters at the club have not been right for a number of weeks and was not surprised with their heavy defeat at the hands of Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-finals.

After a largely dominant 2013-14, Bayern have faltered since the start of April, losing their 53-match unbeaten run in the league and seeing their hopes of back-to-back European titles dashed as they were sent crashing out of European club football's elite tournament after a 4-0 second-leg defeat to Madrid on home soil having lost the first leg 1-0 at the Santiago Bernabeu.

While Pep Guardiola's side can still add the DFB-Pokal to their Bundesliga crown this season, Beckenbauer believes the club are no longer the dominant side they were earlier this campaign.

"Bayern are not right. This is something that we have known for weeks. The disappointment is huge," Marca quotes Beckenbauer as saying.

"From August until the season restarted a few weeks ago they played at the highest level and with maximum concentration.

"Then began a period of weakness and poor concentration that lasts until now."

Bayern have won just four out of their last 10 games.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Madrid not Champions League favourites, says Casillas

397742_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Apr 30, 2014 10:16:00 AM

The goalkeeper has warned his team-mates not to get carried away after thrashing Bayern and has urged them to turn their attention to La Liga again

Iker Casillas has insisted that Real Madrid's impressive 5-0 aggregate win over Bayern Munich in the semi-finals of the Champions League does not make them favourites to win the competition.

The Santiago Bernabeu side last won European club football's elite competition in 2001-02 and have since been unsuccessful in their hunt for La Decima.

Nevertheless, Casillas is desperate to help them to their 10th European cup at last this term.

"We are very happy. The first half went our way and emotions went from high to low. We deserved it for the way the side worked. But it would be wrong for us to think that we are now the favourites," Casillas told reporters.

"When I got my first win I never thought I'd get to this stage and I'm pleased and happy for the fans. Now to relive the sensations and hopefully in Lisbon I'll get back the feeling of what it is to win a European Cup.

"We have shown an enormous capacity of concentration and it is fair that we have managed to get through to the final. Bayern are the reigning champions of Europe. We've had three years of falling at the final hurdle but we got there at the fourth attempt."

Casillas then went on to stress that Madrid have not given up on La Liga either as they are dreaming of winning the treble.

"We have to enjoy today, and then think about La Liga, putting pressure on Atletico and trying to win the title."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho derides 'philosopher' critics

396477_heroa.jpg

Luke Sheehan
Apr 30, 2014 12:11:00 PM

The Portuguese argues that those who complained about his side's tactics against Atletico Madrid and Liverpool would have had them play "stupid" football and lose

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has derided his critics, claiming that "philosophers" complaining about his side's defensive tactics would have had them play "stupidly" and lose.

Masterclasses at the back saw the Reds stifle Atletico Madrid 0-0 in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final before beating Premier League leaders Liverpool 2-0 on Sunday to maintain their slim title hopes.

Though some have argued that Chelsea have been playing 'anti-football', the Portuguese is adamant that he has been playing to the strengths of his squad.

Mourinho remarked dryly to the press: "You know, at this moment, football is full of philosophers - people who understand much more than me, people with fantastic theories and philosophies. It's amazing.

"But the reality is always the reality: A team that doesn't defend well or doesn't score lots of goals, if they concede lots of goals, is completely in trouble. A team without balance is not a team. When they have the ball, we have to try and stop them scoring. When we have the ball, we want to try and score. This is football - the football that I know.

"I remember saying in my first period here, if you have a goalkeeper like Petr Cech who puts the ball in the opponents' box and a striker like Didier Drogba who wins everything in the air, why play short? Because you are stupid?

"If your opponents are very fast on the counter and want space behind your defensive line, if you give them that space you are stupid."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez: Chelsea can't match Atletico's desire

397672_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Apr 30, 2014 11:31:59 AM

The holding midfielder is optimistic about the Vicente Calderon side's chances and does not expect Jose Mourinho to employ an attacking strategy

Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez has insisted that Chelsea cannot match his side's desire ahead of their Champions League semi-final second leg at Stamford Bridge.

The Liga leaders head to London on Wednesday with plenty of confidence despite being held to a scoreless draw in the first leg in Madrid last week and Suarez, who is set to replace suspended captain Gabi in defensive midfield, has made it clear that Atletico cannot wait to take on Jose Mourinho's men again.

"We feel good, we're very up for this game," the 27-year-old told reporters.

"We've earned the right to be here. We feel very motivated.

"No one can beat us in terms of desire and, if we do things well, we feel we have a good chance."

Mourinho has come in for plenty of criticism over the way his team focused on defence in both their semi-final first leg in Madrid and against Liverpool in the Premier League on Sunday, but Suarez does not expect the Chelsea manager's tactics to change too much at home.

"We expect them to be similar; they won't go crazy, although they'll probably be out to attack a bit more because they need a goal.

"But we know they'll look for their opponent to make mistakes. We need to do things well, try to take our chances."

Atleti last qualified for the final of the European Cup in 1974 when they lost to Bayern Munich.

This time around, local rivals Real Madrid await Diego Simeone's men if they manage to overcome Chelsea

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When is the 2014 Champions League final?

397547_heroa.jpg

May 1, 2014 9:00:02 AM

All the information you could possibly need ahead of the showpiece event of the 2013-14 club season

WHEN IS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL?

The Champions League final will be played on Saturday May 24.

WHERE IS THE MATCH BEING HELD?

The Champions League final will be played at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon, Portugal.

The stadium, which is home to former European champions Benfica, was originally opened in 1954 before being rebuilt in 2003 ahead of the country’s hosting of Euro 2004. The capacity of the ground is 65,647.

The venue has never hosted a Champions League final before, but it did host the 1992 Cup Winners’ Cup final when Werder Bremen defeated Monaco and the second leg of the 1983 Uefa Cup final, when hosts Benfica lost 2-1 on aggregate in the final against Anderlecht.

The city of Lisbon, though, has hosted a Champions League final before when Celtic famously defeated Inter 2-1 in the final of 1967.

WHO IS IN THE FINAL?

This year’s final will be contested by Real Madrid and ***Atletico Madrid/Chelsea***.

Real Madrid are attempting to win the competition for a 10th time as they appear in their 13th Champions League final – a record no other club can match. However, this is their first appearance in the final for 12 years since their last triumph in 2002.

***Chelsea won the tournament for the first time in 2012 and are looking to make it three European titles in as many seasons having also won last year's Europa League tournament. They had one other previous appearance in the Champions League final, losing the 2008 edition to Manchester United in Moscow.

*** Atletico have never been crowned European champions and are attempting to win the trophy for the first time. This, though, will be their second appearance in the showpiece event, having lost to Bayern Munich in a final replay back in 1974.

HOW DID THEY GET THERE?

Real Madrid defeated three high-profile German sides to reach the final, winning 9-2 over two legs against Schalke in the last 16, beating Borussia Dortmund 3-2 on aggregate in the last eight before getting the better of holders Bayern Munich by thrashing them 5-0 overall in the semis.

In the group stages, they topped a pool consisting of Galatasaray, Juventus and Copenhagen, winning five and drawing one of their six matches.

***In the group stage, Chelsea finished top ahead of Schalke, Basel and Steaua Bucharest, winning four and losing two of their early matches. In the knockout stages they have progressed past Galatasaray (3-1 over two legs), Paris Saint-Germain (3-3, winning on away goals) and Atletico Madrid.

*** Atletico Madrid convincingly defeated Italian side AC Milan in the round-of-16, winning 5-1 on aggregate. They edged a closer tie against Spanish rivals Barcelona by winning 2-1 in the quarter-finals before getting the better of Chelsea in the semi-finals.

*** In the group phase, Atletico won five and drew one of their six matches against opponents Zenit, Porto and Austria Wien.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="//cdn.playwire.com/bolt/js/embed.min.js" data-width="undefined" data-height="undefined" data-config="http://cdn.playwire.com/v2/14907/config/832936.json" data-publisher-id="14907" data-video-id="832936"></script>

Chelsea 1 - 3 Atletico Madrid

Double click to watch it in full screen mode

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea 1-3 Atletico Madrid (1-3 agg): Diego Simeone's side seal derby final in style as Diego Costa, Adrian and Arda Turan strike to knock out Jose Mourinho's Blues

By Martin Samuel
Published: 20:38 GMT, 30 April 2014 | Updated: 09:44 GMT, 1 May 2014

At the end, there was nothing left to do but shake hands. The best team won and Jose Mourinho knew it. He approached Diego Simeone for the standard pleasantries. There was no hunt of protest or dissent. He knows a good thing when he sees one.

Here it was. The reason why Atletico Madrid seem destined to be La Liga champions. Those that have missed their performances week in, week out in Spain may have wondered whether they can hold their lead up the final straight. The answer, on this evidence, is yes.

Atletico were hugely impressive at Stamford Bridge - not the typical Spanish team, but no less admirable for that. They combine the best of La Liga and the best of the Premier League, a high technical standard and defensive resilience.

article-2617143-1D7BEDE500000578-530_634x450.jpg

Lisbon-bound: Diego Costa (left) celebrates with teammate Koke after scoring a penalty to make it 2-1

article-2617143-1D7BCD8D00000578-458_634x415.jpg

No mistake: Costa scores from the penalty spot during the Champions League semi-final

article-2617143-1D7BEE1E00000578-701_634x378.jpg

Oops: Samuel Eto'o holds his hands in the air after he brought down Diego Costa to give away a penalty

article-2617143-1D7BB56700000578-317_634x416.jpg

Jubilation: Atletico Madrid's Adrian celebrates after scoring the equaliser and crucial away goal

article-2617143-1D7BBCBB00000578-413_634x335.jpg

Party time: The Atletico Madrid fans celebrate as their team sets up a final with city-rivals Real

article-2617143-1D7C1DFE00000578-25_634x401.jpg

All too much: Terry was close to tears at the final whistle as Atletico players console him

article-2617143-1D7C330500000578-425_634x466.jpg

Never mind: Terry receives a consolation handshake from Atletico's Mario Suarez and Tiago at the end

article-2617143-1D7BFB7900000578-929_634x487.jpg

Gutted: Chelsea captain John Terry trudges off the pitch at full-time as Chelsea are knocked out of Europe

article-2617143-1D7C112F00000578-362_634x561.jpg

Lisbon, here we come! David Villa posted this photo of Atletico celebrating in the changing room

MATCH FACTS

Chelsea: Schwarzer 6, Ivanovic 6.5, Cole 6 (Eto'o 54, 5), Luiz 7, Cahill 6, Terry 6.5, Azpilicueta 6.5, Ramires 6.5, Torres 6.5 (Ba 67, 5), Willian 6.5 (Schurrle 77), Hazard 6

Subs not used: Oscar, Van Ginkel, Kalas, Hilario
Goal: Torres 36
Booked: Cahill
Manager: Jose Mourinho 6.5

Atletico Madrid: Courtois 6.5, Juanfran 7, Luis 7.5, Tiago 7, Miranda 7, Godin 7, Turan 7 (Rodriguez 84), Suarez 7, Adrian 7 (Raul Garcia 66), Costa 8 (Sosa 76), Koke 7.5

Subs not used: Aranzubia. Villa, Alderweireld, Diego
Goals: Adrian 44, Diego Costa 60, Turan 72
Booked: Adrian, Diego Costa
Manager: Diego Simeone 8

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli 6.5

*Ratings by SAMI MOKBEL at Stamford Bridge

A goal down after 36 minutes, Atletico bounced back in the manner of the best English teams, displaying self-belief and a compelling thirst for competition. They were what Chelsea hope to be, but are not yet. And then they added their own twist: flair, pace, imagination.

They will take some beating on May 24, no matter the quality of their rivals from across town. This is a very good team and it will play Real Madrid in Lisbon as equals, in what will be the first city derby to double as the championship of Europe.

There will be no sympathy for Mourinho after this, nor will he expect it. The philosophers - his term, dripping with contempt - will say he picked a team full of defenders and tried to park the bus. He didn't. He played Cesar Azpilicueta ahead of Branislav Ivanovic in an attempt to contain Koke and Arda Turan, but it only half worked.

The introduction of Samuel Eto'o for Cole, with Azpilicueta reverting to left-back, after 54 minutes was indication Chelsea had to gamble more. Eto'o promptly gave away the penalty that cost the game and that plan collapsed like a bad soufflé.

Yet this wasn't a rout, wasn't a repeat of the debacle in Munich on Tuesday night. At the time Chelsea went ahead they were having the better of the game, but Fernando Torres's goal sparked life in Madrid and they were well worth the scoreline by the end, well worth the two goal advantage over two matches.

article-2617143-1D7B9DE300000578-120_634x436.jpg

Hands up: Torres scores the opener against his old club Atletico but does not celebrate

article-2617143-1D7BB7EE00000578-322_634x442.jpg

Goal-bound: Torres scores to give Chelsea the early 1-0 lead to the delight of the home fans

article-2617143-1D7BABF000000578-702_634x399.jpg

Out of reach: Atletico goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois cannot reach Torres' strike

article-2617143-1D7BCFDB00000578-911_634x449.jpg

In the book: Costa was shown a yellow card for time wasting before he scored from the penalty spot

Could it have been different? Thibaut Courtois made a brilliant save from a John Terry header with the score tied at 1-1 and soon after Atletico scored. After that, the momentum was all with the visitors.

A header from David Luiz hit the bar in the 64th minute, but that would only have made the scoreline 2-2, which would still have sent Atletico through on away goals. There was never the sense that Chelsea could spring one of their mighty fightbacks here. Atletico are too smart for that.

So no wonder Mourinho prefers defenders. Too unreliable, strikers. Never know what they are going to do next. Win you the game some days, lose you it on others. And what a pair Mourinho had here. There was Torres, who scored against his old club and refused to celebrate, and Eto'o, who came on with the score tied 1-1, made one tackle and lost the game.

That was the pivotal moment, no doubt about it. Introduced by Mourinho to nab the winner, Eto'o did the opposite. He had been on the field five minutes when he made what is euphemistically described as a striker's challenge. A calamity would be another word for it.

He charged in on Diego Costa, who wasn't even in a particularly threatening position, missed the ball, missed the feint, got the player and cost the game. Until that point, Chelsea were a goal away. After it, an ocean separated them from their objective.

article-2617143-1D7BDD4A00000578-54_634x520.jpg

Argy bargy: John Terry squares up to some of the Atletico players as tempers fray ahead of the penalty

article-2617143-1D7BDD6F00000578-228_634x395.jpg

Game over: Arda Turan slots the ball home to make it 3-1 for Atletico Madrid

article-2617143-1D7BF02200000578-714_634x407.jpg

Wheeling way: Atletico's Turkish midfielder Turan celebrates his goal which books his side's final berth

Nicola Rizzoli, the referee, did not flinch, despite the massed ranks of blue behind Mark Schwarzer's goal. He pointed to the spot, rightly, and Costa prepared for a moment of destiny. At first, he wasn't happy. There was a divot on the spot. He replaced the ball. And again. Rizzoli took a dim view. Out came the yellow card.

Focussed now, Costa stepped back and smashed his shot into the roof of the net. Will Chelsea benefit from such a cool head next season? It is hard to see why he would want to switch clubs after this, money aside.

Now forced to chase two goals Chelsea were open and, by the end, the margin of victory was significant. As Chelsea flooded the Madrid half with bodies, Diego Simeone's team struck back. Chelsea were playing to Atletico's counter-attacking strengths now and after 72 minutes, the contest was finally over.

A cross from the right and Turan planted a header against the bar. First to react, with Schwarzer still recovering, he tapped the ball into an unprotected net. Simeone, sensing an unassailable lead - Chelsea now needed to score three in 18 minutes against his famously miserly defence - he set off on a little dash down the touchline. Very Mourinho like. He has done a quite brilliant job at his club.

Chelsea's fear here was an exit on away goals but after 36 minutes it appeared to have been assuaged. Ivanovic found Willian on the right and his brilliant turn took out two Madrid men in one swoop. Azpilicueta picked the play up from there and his low cross was met perfectly by Torres, with a first-time shot that clipped Mario Suarez on its way to goal.

article-2617143-1D7BF6CB00000578-367_634x469.jpg

Arguing their case: Chelsea players have words with referee Nicola Rizzoli after he awarded a penalty

article-2617143-1D7C031500000578-373_634x392.jpg

Unstoppable: Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer dives the wrong way as Costa blasts his penalty into the net

article-2617143-1D7B8A2900000578-19_634x497.jpg

Getting rough: Atletico's Tiago has his hands over Chelsea's Willian as both chase the ball

article-2617143-1D7BC64600000578-638_634x423.jpg

Challenge: Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta looks to tackle the ball off Diego Costa

He didn't celebrate in deference to his former club, the one he has supported all his life, but the rest of Stamford Bridge did. All they had to do was keep a clean sheet from here and Chelsea would be in the Champions League final. Contrary to what those philosophers think, that isn't as simple as it looks against the best team in Spain. And so it proved.

Within minutes a glancing header by Adrian Lopez tested Schwarzer, but Atletico's next attack was deadly. It appeared to have come straight off the training field and, for once, Chelsea's well drilled back line was found wanting. Tiago struck a deep ball to the right side of goal which alighted on Juanfran, but not Cole.

The left-back had, for whatever reason, been sucked towards the middle. He couldn't stop the cut back pass, neither could Terry, and Adrian scuffed it into the net. The Atletico Madrid bench went wild. They were on familiar ground from here.

And full credit to them for the way they took on that challenge in the second-half. They were not content to eke out a draw, they did not just sit back and hope to wind down the clock. The best teams mix it up, and Atletico did that magnificently.

Determined, effective, yet also highly ambitious, they took what Mourinho does and upped it a grade. In doing so, they set the standard for Mourinho and his players next season. Atletico were the thinking man's Chelsea. And that is intended as a compliment.

article-2617143-1D7BD5E700000578-960_634x420.jpg

Dreams over: Fernando Torres (right) and Samuel Eto'o are dejected as Chelsea are knocked out

article-2617143-1D7BFDA900000578-860_634x380.jpg

What is going on? Mourinho holds out his arms as Atletico comfortably beat his Chelsea side on Wednesday

article-2617143-1D7C019900000578-846_634x438.jpg

Respect: Mourinho goes to shake hands with counterpart Diego Simeone at the final whistle

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Outclassed: Mourinho & Chelsea get their just deserts

397945_heroa.jpg

Liam Twomey
Apr 30, 2014 10:15:00 PM

COMMENT: The Blues once again showed an inability to marry defensive solidity with attacking ambition, and their lack of balance will likely leave them trophyless

As he sullenly watched his Chelsea side being taken apart by Atletico Madrid from the Stamford Bridge touchline, Jose Mourinho’s mind might well have drifted back to the words he had spoken to the assembled media the day before.

“A team that doesn't defend well doesn't have many chances to win,” he insisted with defiance in his eyes. “A team that doesn't score lots of goals, if they concede lots of goals, is in trouble. A team without balance is not a team.”

For all the tiresome talk of parked buses and anti-football, this was a match which defied expectation. Or at least it did from the 36th minute, when Fernando Torres apologetically broke a high-octane deadlock against his former club. But the narrative of the faded Spaniard once again proving Chelsea’s unlikeliest of European talisman did not last long.

Match Stats — Team Stats

1935730624c52a8be0e026f0bb9b163afd748404.jpg

Instead, the story of the evening proved to be more of the sloppy defensive mistakes which have derailed the Blues' Premier League title charge and look likely to leave them trophyless.

It is a side of the game Chelsea have invariably got right on the big occasions this season, but it undermined them on the biggest of all on Wednesday evening.

Despite Mourinho’s obsession with “balance”, it is an ideal that has remained largely elusive since his return to Stamford Bridge. Chelsea’s most unwavering performances at the back against top opposition have been achieved by reverting to the kind of ultra-defensive football which underpinned the miraculous Champions League triumph of 2012.

It was the style which enabled them to shut down Diego Simeone’s men superbly at the Vicente Calderon a week ago, even if Mourinho’s unwillingness to as much as look for an away goal always seemed dangerous, bordering on foolish.

But at Stamford Bridge the home side once again proved themselves incapable of marrying continued attacking intent with defensive solidity. At 1-0 Chelsea had the advantage but knew they needed more to be truly comfortable attempting to shut the back door on one of Europe’s finest teams.

The uncertainty showed in Atletico’s 44th-minute equaliser, when Tiago was allowed all the time in the world to chip the ball to the back post. Eden Hazard allowed Juanfran to drift beyond him to keep the ball alive, and three Chelsea defenders opted to mark space rather than Adrian.

On 54 minutes, Mourinho elected to throw the dice earlier than expected and bring on Samuel Eto’o, and the striker committed the error which killed the game while far out of his comfort zone in his own penalty area.

Diego Costa smashed home the spot-kick within moments of Thibaut Courtois pulling off what Mourinho flatteringly described as an “impossible save” from John Terry’s header. Perhaps both of Atletico’s star men beginning next season at Stamford Bridge will give the Special One the balance he craves. Arda Turan's third created a fairer reflection of the second-half superiority of Simeone's men.

Chelsea can only reflect. Mourinho has lost his sixth Champions League semi-final in eight attempts, while his club have been vanquished by a team assembled with vastly inferior resources or experience at this level. Meanwhile, Terry's face at the final whistle laid bare the pain of a man who has been denied a second chance at personal redemption in European club football's greatest showpiece. He may not get another.

In one of the lighter moments of his pre-match press conference, Mourinho joked that he would be going to Lisbon for a holiday regardless of whether his team made the final. He might want to avoid booking the weekend of May 24.