• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2013-14 ║

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Injuries my only fear, says Conte

27 March 2014

435003header.jpg

Injuries are Juventus coach Antonio Conte's only concern after seeing his side move 14 points clear at the top of Serie A on Wednesday.

The champions are well on their way to a third straight Scudetto after their 2-1 win over Parma at the Juventus Stadium restored their seemingly insurmountable cushion over second-placed Roma.

Carlos Tevez struck twice to make it seven league wins in a row on a night that also saw Claudio Marchisio make his return from a minor hamstring injury off the bench.

Conte remains without the likes of Angelo Ogbonna, Andrea Barzagli and Sebastian Giovinco and, with Tevez having returned from injury of late too, the Juve coach is eager to avoid any more additions to his absentee list.

"I have to say that I am very pleased and satisfied with what my team is accomplishing, obviously keeping in mind that all the games we have to play, one every three days, and also keeping in mind the great number of injured players we have had over the last few weeks," he said.

"Therefore I would have to say that my main worry at the moment is trying to get as many players as possible fit again.

"This is important because right now I'm forced to almost always play with the same starting 11 and given the fact we play every three days, it is possible the injury situation could only get worst.

"This is the only thing that actually worries me."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Seedorf tips Honda for strong World Cup

27 March 2014

435045header.jpg

Milan coach Clarence Seedorf believes that midfielder Keisuke Honda is ready to make an impact for Japan at the FIFA World Cup.

The 27-year-old midfielder has struggled to hit the ground running at San Siro since joining from CSKA Moscow in January.

He made his debut in the final game of Massimiliano Allegri's reign, with Honda required to quickly adjust to new coach Clarence Seedorf's methods in what has been a turbulent season for the club.

Seedorf, though, feels that Honda is gradually getting used to the style of football in Serie A and has told the Japan international not worry over his form.

"Japan should have no doubts about Honda," Seedorf said. "He's a great player and he's adapting to the Italian game.

"He played a great game (in Wednesday's win over Fiorentina) and got up and down the pitch well."

If selected by Alberto Zaccheroni, Honda will go to his second World Cup, having made four appearances and scored twice four years ago in South Africa.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A: Inter 0 Udinese 0

27 March 2014

435143header.jpg

Inter's frustrating week continued as their bid for European football was harmed by a 0-0 home draw against Udinese on Thursday.

Walter Mazzarri's side – who suffered just their second home league defeat of the season on Sunday – were again below-par in front of the San Siro faithful.

In a game of few chances, Inter lacked the sharpness to finish their rare opportunities, although they came close when Danilo D'Ambrosio's header – which came after he followed in Esteban Cambiasso's well-saved strike – was cleared off the goalline by an acrobatic Maurizio Domizzi in the dying stages.

Visiting goalkeeper Simone Scuffet also made a terrific save to deny Hernanes on a disappointing evening for the hosts.

A disastrous 2012-13 campaign under Andrea Stramaccioni saw Inter finish ninth last term, meaning that this season has been one without continental commitments.

And Inter – who sit fifth, in the last UEFA Europa League place – will be nervously looking over their shoulder at Parma, who are just one point behind with a game in hand.

Silvan Widmer's early cross tested ex-Udinese goalkeeper Samir Handanovic but Inter, who brought in defenders Juan and Walter Samuel after Sunday's loss to Atalanta, looked solid.

Udinese may have regretted resting top scorer Antonio Di Natale as their attacks rarely bore fruit, but one of the rare opportunities before the break did fall to the visitors.

Bruno Fernandes' 20-yard effort was awkwardly spilled in the 41st minute by Handanovic, who would have been relieved to see Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu steer the rebound into the side netting.

Inter, growing increasingly frustrated at the lack of success their repeated attacks down the wings were having, resorted to long-range attempts – but Fredy Guarin and Rodrigo Palacio saw their shots fly harmlessly over the bar.

Andrea Ranocchia's mishit cross nearly dipped over Scuffet and in as play resumed, while Guarin – who signed a contract extension on Monday keeping him at the club until 2017 – saw his night to forget end in the 54th minute when he was taken off for Ricky Alvarez.

Roberto Pereyra's curling effort forced Handanovic into a save while at the other end, a poor Alvarez cross only increased the frustration of the home crowd.

Inter finally ramped up the pressure after the hour-mark, a pattern that coincided with Alvarez's switch to the left wing, as Hernanes had two good efforts on goal – the second of which saw Scuffet keep out his fierce 20-yard effort with an impressive save.

Samuel and Palacio then wasted free headers, before Mauro Icardi turned over from close range, and the same player had a shot dropped by Scuffet in the closing stages, only for the goalkeeper to recover quickly.

There was still time for one last effort, but D'Ambrosio was denied as Udinese held on for a draw.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milan must show patience - Seedorf

28 March 2014

435305header.jpg

Milan coach Clarence Seedorf has urged the club to show patience as they go through what he has described as a transitional period.

Milan are 12th in Serie A ahead of Saturday's visit of Chievo, but secured their first win in six matches by winning 2-0 at Fiorentina on Wednesday.

Seedorf's men were eliminated from the UEFA Champions League at the hands of Atletico Madrid earlier this month, and hopes of bridging a nine-point gap to city rivals Inter in the UEFA Europa League qualification spot.

But Seedorf was delighted with the attitude his players displayed at Fiorentina and has called for the same commitment to be shown as Milan aim to end a disappointing campaign on a high.

"We've shown courage and we have improved as we saw against Lazio and Fiorentina. We'll be looking for three points tomorrow," Seedorf said.

"I think the team will take to the pitch tomorrow as they did in Florence. We have to keep on playing with this spirit.

"I've been working on cohesion since my first day on the job, we haven't always been successful but in the end the results will come from the pitch.

"I like looking to the future. Like a lot of big clubs in Europe, Milan is going through a transition, just like Manchester United.

"We all need to set ourselves objectives. We need patience and I'm sure the fans will appreciate that if they continue to see the team's commitment on the pitch."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Juve seek to end Napoli title challenge

28 March 2014

435289header.jpg

Another challenger could be cut from the Serie A title race this weekend when high-flying Napoli host leaders Juventus.

While the Scudetto looks set to return to the Juventus Stadium at the end of the campaign, Roma and Napoli have been in impressive form nonetheless.

However, Rafael Benitez's hopes of a title in his first Napoli season will be mathematically ended, unless his side can snap the seven-match winning run in Serie A built up by Antonio Conte's charges.

Napoli continued their recent fixture schedule with a 4-2 win over Catania on Wednesday and will need all the rest and recuperation they can get ahead of the Juve clash - after the champions ran out 3-0 winners in November's reverse fixture.

Jose Callejon, who found the net in the Catania victory, has refused to give up on second place and insists Napoli will close the gap to Juve next season.

"We believe in second and we will do all we can to get it," he told Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli.

"The Champions League is an important objective for us and we want to get there automatically.

"Scudetto? Juve are very strong – but next season we'll fight with them, there's no doubt about that."

If Napoli can spring a surprise and halt the Juve title charge, Roma will be heavy favourites to close the gap at the top when they take on lowly Sassuolo though relegation-zone rivals Catania and Livorno also face tough tests in the fight for survival.

Catania travel to face face an Udinese side unbeaten in their last six home games, while Livorno host Inter, having lost the sides' last five meetings.

Livorno may draw hope from Inter's run of just two wins from their last seven outings at San Siro and Walter Mazzarri called for his side to be more "cynical" after they dropped points for the second time in a week in Thursday's 0-0 draw with Udinese.

Inter's main rivals for UEFA Europa League qualification, Fiorentina and Parma, have been somewhat inconsistent themselves - something they will look to arrest against Sampdoria and Lazio respectively.

After picking up a first win in six games against Fiorentina on Wednesday, Milan host Chievo while Bologna will look to edge further clear of the drop zone when they take on in-form Atalanta.

A 1-0 midweek win over Verona boosted Cagliari's survival hopes and they will hope for further success against Torino, while Andrea Mandorlini's side will be desperate to end a four-game losing sequence when they host Genoa.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Napoli v Juventus

28 March 2014

435238header.jpg

Juventus can officially end Napoli's interest in the title on Sunday, as their own record-breaking march to the Serie A crown continues.

Antonio Conte's men are closing in on a third Scudetto in a row after extending their unbeaten run in the league to 22 matches with a 2-1 win over Parma on Wednesday - a game that also saw them set an Italian top-flight landmark with a 15th straight home win.

They now sit 14 points clear of second-placed Roma with eight games remaining, while Napoli are a further six points adrift and know that another defeat will officially spell the end of any lingering hopes of a miraculous championship challenge.

Napoli's recent loss to Fiorentina saw them fall further behind the league leaders after their early-season promise had faltered from mid-January and into February.

Draws against Bologna and Chievo were followed by a defeat to Atalanta, a run of three games that saw their hopes of a first championship since 1990 begin to slip away.

A third home defeat of the league campaign would leave Rafael Benitez's side 23 points behind the leaders with only 21 available, meaning that only Roma could stop the Juventus juggernaut.

In reality, Benitez has long since conceded the title, but he will at least look to mastermind Napoli's first league win over Juve since January 2011, a run of six matches.

And he will have the benefit of facing a side minus talisman Carlos Tevez

The Argentinian striker has netted seven league goals in as many games, and is the Serie A top scorer in his debut season with 18 goals.

But he will miss the clash through suspension after being yellow carded in the Parma victory.

"I'm sad to be missing out on Napoli," he said.

"I always want to be involved in every game. On the plus side, I'll be fresh for Lyon (in the Europa League)."

Juve are monitoring Claudio Marchisio ahead of the game, as he continues to overcome a muscle strain, while Paul Pogba returned from suspension in midweek and should again be included.

Napoli could recall Gonzalo Higuain to the starting XI after the striker was rested for the midweek win over Catania.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the Italian league

Associated Press
By DANIELLA MATAR March 27, 2014 9:26 AM

3703bb48fcbf950b4f0f6a7067006a55.jpg

Juventus players hug their teammate Carlos Tevez, hidden at center, after he scored during a Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Parma at the Juventus stadium, in Turin, Italy, Wednesday, March 26, 2014. (AP Photo/Massimo Pinca)

MILAN (AP) — League leader Juventus travels to third-place Napoli this weekend looking to maintain its charge to a third successive title. Second-place Roma visits relegation-threatened Sassuolo earlier on Sunday and will be hoping to put some pressure on the Bianconeri and cut the gap to 11 points.

Here are five things to know about the Italian league this weekend:

RECORD-BREAKING JUVE

Having broken one record midweek, Juventus remains firmly on course for another.

Juventus beat Parma 2-1 to record a 15th successive home victory. A third straight Serie A title is already all but a certainty and the Bianconeri could break the 100-point mark in the process.

"We are taking important steps forward," coach Antonio Conte said. "We're on seven successive wins and I don't have any more words with which to praise the boys. Many of them have played eight consecutive matches and they are giving their maximum even if I don't have the chance to let them breathe again.

"They are incredible and they manage to surprise even me. We have got 81 points, despite playing every three days, despite a lot of injuries and tiredness."

___

TEVEZ OUT

Juventus travels to Napoli on Sunday without the league's top scorer Carlos Tevez.

Tevez, who scored twice against Parma to take his tally for the season to 18, also picked up a booking and will be suspended for the match.

"I am sad about that, because I won't be with my teammates," Tevez said. "And to think that Conte wanted to replace me just before I picked up that yellow card. ... I always want to play and score in every match but at least I'll be able to rest and prepare for Thursday's (Europa League game).

"I am certain it will be a great match, Napoli is playing good football and the atmosphere will be heated."

___

NAPOLI TARGETS SECOND

Napoli beat Catania 4-2 on Wednesday to reassert its claim for third spot and the final Champions League spot after the disappointing loss to Fiorentina at the weekend.

It moved 10 points above fourth-place Fiorentina which fell to a surprise defeat at home to AC Milan.

Coach Rafa Benitez says Roma is in now in his team's sights, despite a six-point gap to the capital club, which have played a game less.

"I was an important win, our aim remains second place," Benitez said. "Our target continues to be Roma, but it depends on them too. We will try to give our all and we can close the season brilliantly. We should have confidence because there are still 24 points available."

___

PERFECT FIVE FOR ATALANTA

Atalanta also broke a record midweek as it set a new club best of five successive victories with a 2-0 win over Livorno.

That run has allowed the fans to start dreaming of the Europa League as it is four points off sixth spot.

Atalanta visits another relegation-threatened side on Saturday as it travels to Bologna.

"I'm happy with the record of five wins but I'm above all happy with our performance," coach Stefano Colantuono said. "It's confirmation that the team is growing. We know our limits but also our qualities.

"We shouldn't look at the fact we're four points from the Europa League. Now we have to think about Bologna, then about Sassuolo. Not for whatever target, but to continue to do well as we have done until now."

___

SEEDORF REPRIEVE

All the talk last week was that AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf was heading for the sack and everything depended on his next two games against Lazio and Fiorentina.

Milan picked up four points in those two games and Seedorf has blasted his critics.

"Many false things were said," he said. "I am open to criticism as long as it is constructive, but what I see here is the intention to create controversy by spreading falsehoods disguised as fact.

"The people who wrote certain things have to deal with their own conscience, because mine is clear. I tried to keep the players focused on the game, but it was impossible not to be aware of what was being said outside."

Milan hosts relegation-threatened Chievo Verona on Saturday.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Wrap: Joy for Kaka, pressure mounts on Ballardini

29 March 2014

435587header.jpg

Milan midfielder Kaka scored a brace in his 300th appearance for Milan as they beat Serie A strugglers Chievo 3-0 at the San Siro.

Mario Balotelli gave Clarence Seedorf’s side the lead after just four minutes in Saturday's clash, getting on the end of Adil Rami’s cross to volley home from close range.

That goal seemed to settle any potential nerves in the ranks, as rampant Milan took the game to Chievo in an action-packed first half.

And their lead was doubled after 27 minutes when Keisuke Honda’s wonderfully chipped ball found Kaka, who produced a brilliant first touch before rolling it into the net.

The 31-year old then rolled back the years nine minutes after the break, pouncing on a poor defensive clearance to curl a stunning effort into the top corner of the net.

Chievo were given a chance to grab a consolation one minute into stoppage time, when substitute Cyril Thereau was brought down by Cristian Zaccardo in the box.

The Frenchman dusted himself off to take the resulting spot-kick only to be denied by the crossbar on what was a difficult night for the visitors, who remain three points above the relegation zone, while handing a boost to Milan’s slim hopes for European qualification.

Meanwhile, Atalanta strengthened their own bid for a Europa League spot with a 2-0 win at Bologna in the day’s other game.

The hosts fell behind after 22 minutes when Giuseppe De Luca pinched the ball from Diego Perez in midfield, before bursting into the box and slotting home for his second goal in as many games.

Much of the pre-match talk had been about the future of Bologna boss Davide Ballardini, with growing rumours suggesting the club may turn to former coach Stefano Pioli, who was only shown the door at the Renato Dall’Ara in January.

And things got worse for Ballardini just four minutes later when a well-organised Atalanta doubled their lead through a stunning 30-yard effort from Marcelo Estigarribia.

The result was Atalanta’s sixth consecutive victory in Serie A and a new club record, while Bologna sit two points clear of the relegation zone, although nearest rivals Livorno could overtake them with a win over Inter on Monday.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kaka scores twice in 300th game as Milan triumph

By Terry Daley
ROME Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:57pm GMT

r

AC Milan's Kaka celebrates after scoring his second goal, the team's third, against Chievo Verona during their Italian Serie A soccer match at San Siro stadium in Milan March 29, 2014. REUTERS/Alessandro Garofalo

(Reuters) - Playmaker Kaka received a standing ovation from the San Siro crowd after marking his 300th AC Milan appearance with two goals in a 3-0 win over hapless Chievo Verona in Serie A on Saturday.

The Brazilian produced a simple finish in the 27th minute and curled in a stunning long-range goal nine minutes after the break.

Mario Balotelli had volleyed the opener after four minutes as Milan continued their mini revival to climb to ninth place, level with Lazio on 42 points.

Clarence Seedorf's Milan have now gone three matches without defeat, a sequence that has offered the Dutch coach a reprieve after media speculation over his future.

"The goals mean a lot and it was a great night for us," said Kaka. "Tonight was a special achievement for me, 300 games and two goals and it was much more than I expected.

"Football is both great and ugly because of the fact everything changes so quickly. I said last week that the dressing room wasn't divided and you saw that tonight."

Chievo, who missed an injury-time penalty through Cyril Thereau, never looked like notching their first win over Milan at the San Siro.

The visitors gave an insipid display and are fifth from bottom on 27 points, three points clear of the relegation zone and one ahead of Bologna who were brushed aside 2-0 by red-hot Atalanta.

ATALANTA RECORD

Two goals in six first-half minutes from Giuseppe De Luca and Marcelo Estigarribia gave Atalanta their sixth straight victory, a club record run that has lifted them to seventh place on 46 points.

Milan were on top from the start at the San Siro and it did not take them long to open the scoring.

An inswinging Kaka cross was headed out towards the right wing and Adil Rami whipped over a vicious ball that Balotelli expertly glanced home.

Chievo allowed Kaka to celebrate his special night with a gift of a goal just before the half-hour mark.

The defence stood still as Keisuke Honda dinked a delicate pass towards the 31-year-old who had all the time in the world to chest the ball down and roll in his sixth league goal of the campaign.

Honda was then involved in one of the misses of the season as the unmarked Japanese midfielder smashed the ball over from close range after Balotelli had rolled an inviting pass to him at the end of a slick counter attack.

Chievo put up almost no resistance and Kaka soon put the result beyond doubt with a vintage strike, collecting the ball on the edge of the area and curling a sublime shot in off the post.

It capped the sort of high-class performance he has been lacking since his Milan return from Real Madrid in the close season and he was deservedly applauded off when he made way for Robinho with 16 minutes left.

Cristian Zaccardo miscontrolled the ball in the area in stoppage time and clumsily bundled over substitute Thereau who then thumped his penalty against the bar to cap a miserable night for Chievo.

Napoli, in third, host runaway leaders Juventus on Sunday while second-placed AS Roma travel to relegation-threatened Sassuolo.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Orlando drop Kaka hint as exit clause confirmed

30 March 2014

435658header.jpg

Orlando City have hinted they will sign Kaka after Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani revealed that the midfielder has an exit clause.

Kaka said prior to Milan's 3-0 win over Chievo on Saturday that he would like to play in the MLS if he is to leave San Siro for a second time in his career.

The Brazilian made his 300th appearance for the club against Chievo, which he marked with a double before insisting he is in "no hurry" to end his second spell with the club.

However, Galliani confirmed that the 31-year-old has a clause in his contract allowing him to depart if Milan - who are ninth in Serie A - fail to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

"It's very simple. Kaka has a contract until June 30 2015," Galliani told Sky Sport Italia.

"But if we don't qualify for the Champions League then he has a clause allowing him to leave. We will discuss it, but I firmly believe he will stay."

And Orlando, who are set to join the MLS as an expansion franchise in 2015, suggested that they are the favourites to secure Kaka's signature should he leave Milan.

The club's co-owner Phil Rawlins attached a link to a report on Kaka's potential move to a tweet which read: "We're ready when you are Ricardo #MLS21."

Orlando - top of the USL Pro with just one defeat - are partly owned by Brazilian Flavio Augusto da Silva and were confirmed as an expansion franchise in November last year.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Seedorf: Results may not save me

30 March 2014

435623header.jpg

Milan coach Clarence Seedorf said he is unsure if his team's run of good results are enough to ease the pressure on him.

In Kaka's 300th appearance for the Serie A club, the Brazilian netted a brace to go with Mario Balotelli's fourth-minute opener in Milan's 3-0 win over Chievo on Saturday.

The win extended Milan's unbeaten run to three matches, but they still sit ninth in the Serie A table and six points behind the final European place held by Inter.

"Has the storm passed? I don't know, I didn't create the storm," Seedorf told Sky Sport Italia.

"We are very happy for all the Milanisti who can have a calmer time now."

Seedorf was full of praise for Kaka, who struck on 27 and 54 minutes to lead Milan to a comfortable win.

Kaka has said he wants to move to MLS when his Milan career comes to an end, but Seedorf has no idea when that will be.

"Kaka worked hard in training and as a man he is a guarantee so I am very happy he is able to express himself at his best," Seedorf said.

"Will Kaka be here next season? I cannot talk for Kaka as it's his future. There are no doubts on what I think of him.

"There are other players who deserve a mention, as (Keisuke) Honda did everything to help the team tonight and it's a shame he didn't score as he has the quality to make the difference.

"I said the other day that the club's objective remains, which is to qualify for Europe."

Seedorf said he believes improved results have come thanks to players having time to get used to his system after the Dutchman replaced Massimiliano Allegri in January.

"The improvement of the team is thanks to time and the players getting to know each other within this new approach," he said.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Buffon heroics can't save Juve from rare loss

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:57pm BST

_73914898_napoligoal1.jpg

(Reuters) - Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon's heroics were not enough for Juventus as the Serie A leaders lost 2-0 at an inspired Napoli on Sunday, only their second league defeat of the season.

Jose Callejon and substitute Dries Mertens, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, handed Juventus their first league defeat since October 20 to give a glimmer of hope to chasing AS Roma.

Second-placed Roma cut Juve's lead to 11 points after a controversial 2-0 win at lowly Sassuolo where play was delayed for five minutes as the referee changed his mind over a penalty decision.

Juventus have 81 points from 31 games and seven left to play while Roma have 70 and Napoli, in the Champions League playoff spot, are on 64.

They are followed by Fiorentina (52) and Inter Milan (48) who visit Udinese on Monday.

Although Juventus still have a huge lead, there were enough signs of fatigue in their performance to give encouragement to Roma who have a game in hand.

"Until it becomes mathematically impossible, we have to keep looking forward," said Roma coach Rudi Garcia.

Controversy erupted in the 36th minute of Roma's game when Italy World Cup referee Nicola Rizzoli initially awarded Sassuolo a penalty for a foul by Mehdi Benatia on Nicola Sansone but then gave Roma a drop ball after five minutes of protests.

Roma were 1-0 ahead through Mattia Destro's 10th goal of the season at the time and a late goal by Brazilian Michel Bastos secured the win.

Sampdoria coach Sinisa Mihajlovic was sent off as his side drew 0-0 at home to Fiorentina but said he did not mind as he would be suspended when they play Lazio next week.

"The last time I won at Lazio, with Catania, I was also suspended," said the Serb. "I'm one of the few coaches who stand up for referees and I didn't offend anyone."

Lazio, again playing in a half-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans continued to boycott the team in protest at president Claudio Lotito, beat Parma 3-2 thanks to a stoppage-time winner from Antonio Candreva.

Senad Lulic and Miroslav Klose twice gave Lazio the lead but Parma hit back through Jonathan Biabiany and a bizarre Michael Ciani own goal.

Ciani made a complete hash of an attempt to control the ball and sent it between Lazio goalkeeper Federico Marchetti's legs.

At the San Paolo, Napoli piled into Juventus from the start and only 36-year-old goalkeeper Buffon kept them at bay as he made a point blank save from Callejon and brilliantly turned Marek Hamsik's effort over the bar.

Hamsik also had a goal disallowed but Rafael Benitez's side were finally rewarded when Callejon got in front of Kwadwo Asamoah to turn Lorenzo Insigne's cross past Buffon in the 28th minute.

Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo failed to hit the target with his usually dependable free kicks and even sent one crossfield pass straight to the opposition in a weary-looking first-half display.

The visitors improved after halftime but, just as they were threatening an equaliser, Napoli broke clear and Mertens fired an angled shot past Buffon with nine minutes left.

"We have too often lacked the determination and intensity we showed this season," said Benitez. "We've played plenty of games at a very high level but we haven't been able to maintain that standard for the whole season."

(Reporting by Brian Homewood; Editing by Ed Osmond)

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Conte takes swipe at Napoli spending

383558_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Mar 30, 2014 11:07:00 PM

The Juventus coach claims Rafa Benitez has achieved next to nothing despite investing heavily in new players during the past 12 months

Juventus coach Antonio Conte has taken a swipe at Napoli's spending policy, claiming their heavy investment has yielded next to nothing this season.

Rafa Benitez's side ended Juve's long unbeaten run in Serie A on Sunday as goals from Jose Callejon and Dries Mertens sealed a 2-0 win at the San Paolo.

Despite the win, the Partenopei remain 17 points behind the champions at the top of the table, and exited the Europa League in the last round after an aggregate defeat to Porto.

Benitez claimed prior to Sunday's match that Napoli could not compete with the financial turnover of Juventus, but Conte has hit back at his counterpart, claiming an investment of more than €100 million has failed to take Napoli any further forward.

"We faced a team that has spent more than €100m, and was built to win, not just to take part," he told reporters after the match.

"We have invested €25m in our team, they've spent €100m. They have spent in one year what we have invested in three seasons and they are 17 points behind us, as well as being out of Europe.

"We did not have a great first half, we were a little subdued," he said of his side's performance.

"We were also playing with the same players because we are dealing with so many injuries. We were better in the second half, but they deserved it over the 90."

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Wrap: Livorno fightback stuns Inter, Udinese beat Catania

31 March 2014

1157643-18141501-640-360.jpg

Livorno came from two goals down to boost their Serie A survival hopes by claiming a dramatic 2-2 draw against Inter on Monday.

Walter Mazzarri's side appeared to be on their way to a comfortable victory after two first-half goals put them very much in command at the Stadio Armando Picchi.

Hernanes opened the scoring with his first goal for the club since joining from Lazio in January, slamming home from close range after Mauro Icardi had failed to connect with Rodrigo Palacio's knock back across goal.

Palacio then looked to have sealed the points for Inter when he met a Jonathan delivery with a superb half-volley that sailed into the bottom right corner in first-half injury time.

But Livorno found a way back into the game when top scorer Paulinho struck his 12th league goal of the season, before substitute Innocent Emeghara ensured a share of the spoils five minutes from time.

The Switzerland international raced on to an ill-advised backpass from Fredy Guarin to coolly slot home and move Livorno one point adrift of safety and extend Inter's winless run to three games.

Elsewhere on Monday, bottom club Catania's slim prospects of survival were further dented by a 1-0 loss at Udinese.

Veteran striker Antonio Di Natale again proved to be Udinese's inspiration, scoring the only goal of the game in the 68th minute.

Di Natale - who has hinted that he may retire at the end of the campaign - finished off a sweeping team move to net his 11th Serie A goal of the season following good work from Allan and Bruno Fernandes.

The result makes it just one defeat in five for Udinese, while Catania remain six points off safety.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Wrap: Roma win as Juve lose unbeaten run

30 March 2014

435828header.jpg

Juventus' 22-match unbeaten run in Serie A came to an end on Sunday while Roma's 2-0 win at Sassuolo was shrouded in controversy.

Defending champions Juve went into their match on the back of seven straight wins in the league but had no answers to Napoli in a 2-0 defeat.

Jose Callejon gave the home side a 37th-minute lead, despite appearing to be offside, rounding off an impressive first-half performance.

Juve goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was in inspired form, making a string of saves, but he could not prevent substitute Dries Mertens doubling Napoli's lead with nine minutes to go.

Defeat for Juve - only their second in Serie A in 2013-14 - means their lead at the top of the table stands at 11 points after Roma won 2-0 earlier in the day at Sassuolo, but Antonio Conte's men remain very much in line to secure a third successive title.

Referee Nicola Rizzoli won the headlines at Sassuolo after awarding the hosts a penalty – only to then revoke the decision.

Rizzoli, who will represent Italy at the FIFA World Cup, saw Roma take the lead in the 16th minute as Mattia Destro made it four goals in as many games.

He then awarded the controversial spot-kick in the 36th minute when Nicola Sansone went down under a challenge from Roma's Mehdi Benatia.

The challenge appeared innocuous but the official gave a penalty and, despite ongoing protests, the ball was on the penalty spot before Rizzoli changed his mind.

Benatia later claimed that the goal-line assistant referee had told Rizzoli to award a spot-kick but, after discussions with Sansone, the man in charge decided against it.

Protests continued at half-time and relegation-threatened Sassuolo conceded a second when Michel Bastos scored late on.

Antonio Candreva's stoppage-time winner spared Lazio's blushes in a 3-2 home win over Parma.

With fans continuing to protest at Lazio, another sparse crowd at Stadio Olimpico witnessed a shambolic own goal with just nine minutes left.

Lazio defender Mickael Caini – a first-half substitute – intercepted a cross destined for Parma's Antonio Cassano at the back post.

Yet Caini let the ball bounce before he and goalkeeper Federico Marchetti looked at each other, with the ball agonisingly going through the latter's legs.

That levelled proceedings at 2-2 but Candreva struck late for Lazio.

Other results on Sunday saw Luca Toni strike twice as 10-man Verona beat Genoa 3-0, while Torino edged Cagliari 2-1 and Sampdoria and Fiorentina played out a goalless draw.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chivu announces retirement

31 March 2014

435918header.jpg

Cristian Chivu has announced his retirement after his contract at Inter was cancelled by mutual consent.

The versatile former Romania international's career has been hampered by a foot injury in recent seasons and he has not featured for the Milan club in 2013-14.

Inter revealed on Monday that Chivu had agreed a deal to end his long, successful spell with the club after recently undergoing another operation, and the defender announced his retirement on his Facebook page shortly afterwards.

After taking time to thank the medical staff that have taken care of him throughout his injury problems, the 33-year-old said his retirement signalled "the end of a journey".

"I have entered the football world as a child, a dreamer with a lot of ambition," he said.

"I leave it with a few grey hairs, many scars and the conviction that my heart is where it belongs, even if I have always gave it to the teams I played with.

"Dad, I hope you are proud of the man I have become. This is the end of a journey...and the beginning of the rest of my life!!!"

Chivu moved to San Siro from Roma in July 2007 and went on to win three Serie A titles, the Coppa Italia twice and the UEFA Champions League with Inter as well as the FIFA Club World Cup.

A statement on Inter's website said: "Inter and Cristian Chivu shared a relationship that went well beyond the pitch and pure professionalism.

"The club wishes to thank Cristian for his great strength, loyalty and the key role he played in his years that will always be remembered as among some of the most glorious in Inter's history.

"FC Internazionale wishes to send a warm thanks to the player, as well as his wonderful family, for all he has done for the club."

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Napoli president eager for Reina deal

31 March 2014

435938header.jpg

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is determined to secure a permanent deal for on-loan Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina.

The Spain international was reunited with Rafael Benitez, the manager who took him to Anfield in 2005, when he agreed a season-long switch to Stadio San Paolo in July.

Reina's career at the Merseyside club looks to be over, with Simon Mignolet now established as first-choice keeper under Brendan Rodgers, and De Laurentiis is eager to bring the 31-year-old back to Naples in the close-season.

The Napoli president has also revealed that Benitez's squad will receive a bonus if they can secure second place in Serie A.

"I spoke with him (Reina)," said De Laurentiis.

"I made him a promise that in addition to the premium for second place, I want him confirmed with us."

Reina kept a clean sheet in Napoli's 2-0 victory over Serie A leaders Juventus on Sunday - a win that puts them six points adrift of second-place Roma.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Roma to wait on new Garcia deal

31 March 2014

435941header.jpg

Roma are happy to wait to secure the future of coach Rudi Garcia despite their excellent season so far.

The 50-year-old Frenchman joined Roma from Lille last year and has enjoyed immediate success at the capital club.

Roma are set for their best finish since the 2009-10 season - when they finished second - after winning 21 of their first 30 Serie A matches.

They are 11 points behind runaway leaders Juventus, but the second-placed capital club are six points ahead of their nearest rivals, Napoli, and have a game in hand.

Roma general director Mauro Baldissoni told asromanews.it: "Garcia has one year left in his contract and hence, we have all the time to discuss his renewal.

"We want to reciprocally extend our rapport. There is time to renew his contract."

Roma can cut the gap on Juve to eight points with victory against Parma on Wednesday, and Baldissoni is not giving up hope that they can claim a stunning league victory.

"I'm optimistic that Roma can win its remaining games," he added.

"With regards to Juve's advantage in the standings, we can only hope."

Juventus lost 2-0 at Napoli on Sunday, just their second league defeat of the season.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bonucci questions Juventus hunger

385597_heroa.jpg

Apr 1, 2014 11:00:00 AM

The Italy international has insisted that the title race is not over yet and has urged his team-mates to keep giving their all

Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci has questioned the hunger of his team-mates and says the race for Serie A is far from over.

The reigning champions were stunned by Napoli at the weekend, as Jose Callejon and Dries Mertens scored either side of the break to seal a 2-0 victory for Rafael Benitez's men.

The result leaves Juve sitting 11 points clear of second-placed Roma, who have a game in hand, with Bonucci concerned that the Bianconeri have taken their foot off the gas.

"What this defeat really showed me is firstly that the Scudetto is still not won and secondly that it will keep our feet on the ground," he wrote on his official website.

"You can always learn more. Napoli showed that they had more hunger than we did.

"The Juventus that I know has always shown more hunger than their opponents."

Antonio Conte's side have seven league games remaining, including a trip to Roma in May.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A: Roma 4 Parma 2

2 April 2014

436628header.jpg

Roma made up for lost time on Wednesday as they beat Parma 4-2 to cut Juventus' lead at the top of Serie A to eight points.

A waterlogged pitch at Stadio Olimpico ensured that the original clash two months ago was abandoned shortly after kick-off without the deadlock being broken, but there were three goals inside eight minutes when play resumed in the Italian capital.

The game started with eight minutes on the clock and Roma were clearly in a hurry to gain an early advantage as Gervinho put them in front after in-form strike partner Mattia Destro's shot came back off the post.

Coach Roberto Donadoni claimed Parma were in "a state of emergency" with the likes of Antonio Cassano, Gabriel Paletta and Amauri sidelined due to injury, but they were level within three minutes courtesy of Afriyie Acquah's first goal for the club.

The visitors' joy was short-lived, though, as home captain Francesco Totti produced a clinical finish just a minute later to restore Roma's lead.

And the impressive Miralem Pjanic, the architect for Totti's strike, got in on the act with the hosts' third goal four minutes after the break.

Parma were unable to contain Rudi Garcia's side and midfielder Rodrigo Taddei opened his account for the season eight minutes from time, with his over-exuberant celebrations earning him a yellow card.

Jonathan Biabiany pulled one back with a stunning right-footed strike late on, but the damage had already been done and the Eternal City outfit proved they will not give up the title race without a fight.

Defeat for Parma was their third in a row as the visitors suffered another setback in their push for a place in Europe, and they have now gone 17 games with a win at Roma, a dismal record stretching back to 1997.