• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Second place not good enough for Real Madrid, says Benitez

rafael-benitez-real-madrid-club-unveiling_1tofupz8qjdyl1j0y6l4ya0t9i.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Jun 3, 2015 14:15:59

The coach wants to change the Blancos' recent failings to win trophies and he fired a warning to players who expect to play week-in, week-out

Rafael Benitez has promised that Real Madrid will not settle for second place any longer as his reign as head coach kicked off with his unveiling on Wednesday.

The Blancos have won La Liga just once in the past seven seasons, with Barcelona taking five titles and Atletico Madrid triumphing once in the other six campaigns.

Benitez - who has not been a particularly popular replacement for the well-liked, ousted Carlo Ancelotti - has every intention of changing their recent record to add to their 32 Liga titles after signing a three-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"The only thing that counts at this club is coming first - second is not good enough," he told reporters at his first press conference.

"At a big club, first is possible. At Napoli it was a different squad but we still managed to compete in three different competitions. Here, the next game is always the most important game.

"Real Madrid are expected to win every game and that will be our mindset."

When asked about the futures of Iker Casillas, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, Benitez repeatedly stressed he "didn't want to talk about individuals" on his first day.

However, the tactician did drop a hint that the likes of Ronaldo and other regular starters may have to settle for more matches on the bench while he is in charge of the playing squad.

"You have a spine to a side, but also you need to rest players sometimes," Benitez added. "What you have to do is use your players in the right way.

"This is the best squad I have ever coached. We will train to work with the ball 80 per cent of the time and without the ball 20%. Comparing the way I've coached at previous clubs is irrelevant.

"All of the players are great professionals, but our goal is to win with individual and collective quality; at the moment the focus is heavy on individual quality. One has to decide who plays depending on the match."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Xavi's goodbye to Barcelona: The full statement

xavi_11zt09fpk7oqi1brdeg8fwsihy.jpg

Jun 3, 2015 18:53:32

The iconic midfielder honoured the club, his team-mates and fans of the Catalans in his farewell speech ahead of the Champions League final

Xavi has bid goodbye to Barcelona in an emotional farewell speech in which he thanked all of those who have helped him throughout his glittering career at Camp Nou.

The central midfielder, 35, will leave the Catalans after 24 years on the club's books following Saturday's Champions League final against Juventus in Berlin.

On Wednesday, Barca honoured him with a special goodbye and below is the full speech that Xavi gave flanked by president Josep Maria Bartomeu and long-time team-mate Andres Iniesta...

"Many thanks to you all for being here," Xavi began.

"Firstly, I'd like to thank every single socio and fan of Barcelona, and everyone who has given me their affection lately. I am very grateful to everyone who has asked me to stay, to those who have chanted my name at Camp Nou, and to all of those who have thanked me, but the person who's really grateful is me.

"Thanks to Barcelona. I've been here for nearly 25 years since I was 11 years old, from Terrassa, as a child dreaming of being a footballer. Not in my wildest of my dreams could I have imagined what I have lived through here at Barcelona. I have been and I am immensely happy.

"I only have words of thanks to all the coaches that I had in the youth teams. From the first, like Asensi or Manolo Lobo, to the last that I had in Barca B, Josep Maria Gonzalvo.

B18E4D2B0352D6824D163A0F099A2840.jpg

"I was lucky to be here with Joan Vila. Joan, I am who I am thanks to you. Thanks so much. I can never give back to you what you have done for me. You were the key person in my development. You taught me everything, changed the way I play, and helped me understand the game. Before training with you, I enjoyed it and had a good time, but you taught me all the concepts I have now.

"Here I became a footballer, but a person as well. The titles and acknowledgements are nothing compared to the smiles and friends, they are the most beautiful thing that I will take from these years.

"I grew up in the Quinta del Troya, with bermudo, David Prats, Piveti, Antoni Hidalgo and Toni Lobo. With them I shared my youth and 20 years later, we're all still friends.

"And to all the presidents I have had. Nunez, Gaspart, Laporta, Rosell, and Bartomeu, you have always been good with me and I can say I have had a good relationship with all of them.

"As well, with my coaches, including those who were here only briefly, like Radomir Antic, Serra Ferrer, Carles Rexach and Tata Martino. I want to give thanks to Louis van Gaal for his confidence in me. To Frank Rijkaard, who told me that I had to become an idol. To Pep Guardiola, an idol for me when I was a player and later as a coach. Thanks to Tito Vilanova, you were like a footballing father for me. I will always carry you in my heart.

"Thanks too to Luis Enrique and Andoni Zubizarreta, who convinced me not to leave last year. It's lucky I didn't do it, because now I would be tearing my hair out.

"I have lived half a life in Camp Nou and I have been lucky to share it with the greatest sportsmen and the greatest people. I could spend hours giving thanks to all my team-mates with whom I have shared a dressing room, starting with my current team-mates, and following with the great friends I have made.

"As well I have to thank other people, like Angel Mur, Txema Corbella, Alejandro Echevarria, Pepe Costa, Doctor Pruna, and many others. Everyone in the dressing room are cracks.

17F39340E9183B93545C9D56C9D466AE.jpg

"Although I have already said goodbye to the national team, I would also like to have a special thought for the people from la Roja where I grew up and revelled from a small child. A special mention for the memory of Luis Aragones. Sir, wherever you are, you know I can never thank you enough all you did for me. It changed everything.

"Finally, those of mine who I have unconditional love for. Those who have given everything for me. In the good moments and the bad ones. Ivan Corretja, my friends in Terrassa, thanks for always being by my side. Thanks to the S'Agaro group, and my in-laws.

"To my brothers, you are my life. If I'm here now, it's because of you. Many thanks.

"Thanks father for your advice. I don't know what I could have done without it. Thanks mother, without you I would have left Barcelona many years ago and we would not be here. Thanks for believing in me, always.

"Finally, thanks to Nuria [his wife], the most important person in my life. The two of us go to Qatar, but soon we will be three. Although we don't know the name yet, or the baby's socio number, we know we will be three Cules in Qatar.

"And to return to the start. Thanks to Barcelona. I will be eternally grateful for all you have given me. Before I go, I hope to lift another cup this Saturday in Berlin. I hope this will not be a goodbye, but a see you soon.

"Visca Barca and visca Catalunya!"

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Elche demoted due to tax debts

5 June 2015

856378header.jpg

Elche have been demoted from La Liga for failing to settle tax debts, with Eibar now set to remain in the Spanish top flight.

The Liga de Futbol Profesional (LFP) on Friday revealed that a judge has ruled Elche must drop down to the Segunda Division next season and pay a fine of €180,303.63.

Elche's players were not paid for long periods of the season and, despite finishing 13th, they now face up to life in the second tier once again.

A La Liga statement said: "The La Liga social discipline judge has issued a ruling on Case 28/2014-15, brought against Elche CF SAD, as a result of the aforementioned institution's debts with the State Tax Administration Agency (AEAT).

"Following the ruling issued by the judge appointed to look into the case, the social discipline judge has agreed to impose upon Elche CF the sanction of relegation from La Liga in view of the recidivism in the case, given that the club had been sanctioned both last season and this season as a result of serious infractions committed, in accordance with La Liga's Law of Sport and Company Statutes.

"Likewise, the above-mentioned ruling carries an added penalty for Elche CF, in the form of a fine amounting to 180,303.63 euros.

"For this purpose, the ruling states that, at present, Elche CF has liquid, overdue, and payable debt owed to the State Tax Administration Agency (AEAT). This debt that has not been paid, deferred, or secured, as shown by the State Tax Administration Agency."

Elche have spent two seasons in La Liga after being crowned Segunda Division champions in the 2012-13 campaign.

Eibar finished their first La Liga campaign in the relegation zone on goal difference despite beating Cordoba on a dramatic final day of the season, prompting coach Gaizka Garitano to resign, but their stay in the top flight is set to continue.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane will continue as Castilla coach

5 June 2015

856267header.jpg

Zinedine Zidane confirmed he will coach Real Madrid Castilla for one more year as he equips himself for a future role in La Liga.

Zidane, who was unable to guide Real's reserve team out of Segunda B in his first season in charge, was touted as a possible replacement for Carlo Ancelotti prior to Rafa Benitez's appointment on Wednesday.

The Frenchman is determined to coach at the highest level, having completed his UEFA Pro License, however, he remains committed to the capital club, albeit with Castilla.

"I am going to continue for one more year at Castilla because it is what I want to do now," Zidane was quoted as telling Radio Monte Carlo.

"I will take a few days off, but soon I will prepare for next season. I will have more young players because Real Madrid C will disappear. I will have to pick 23 players from a group of 60, and I like that.

"I have no ambition beyond Castilla for now, then we'll see. Obviously my goal is to coach in the Primera Division, but I do not know when or with which team. I do not even ask myself the question right now."

Zidane, who came close to taking the reins at Bordeaux last season, added: "Do I think that [president] Florentino [Perez] dreams of me being coach of the first team? I feel happy at Madrid.

"We will see what happens in the future. They have hired another coach. They think that it's still not the right moment for me. It doesn't worry me."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bilbao slap €50m release clause on Laporte

5 June 2015

856549header.jpg

Athletic Bilbao have extended the contract of defender Aymeric Laporte by another season, slapping a €50million release clause on the Frenchman in the process.

Laporte is now tied to the Basque club until 2019 following a campaign in which he made 49 appearances in all competitions as Bilbao finished seventh in La Liga, ensuring qualification for the UEFA Europa League.

The France Under-21 centre-back had been linked with a move to Premier League side Manchester United.

However, any club looking to try to secure Laporte's services will now have to pay big money to lure him away from San Mames.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

´Leave me alone´ - Ronaldo pleas for privacy in video message

5 June 2015

856593header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo has accused the press of talking "trash" and issued a plea for privacy in a video posted on social media on Friday.

The Real Madrid star is currently on holiday and took a break from basking in the sunshine to address media reports about his personal life.

"Hi fans, this message is for you," he said. "Well guys, thank you very much for your support this year. It was tough but you were always there. You showed that you are always loyalty [sic].

"I'm here relaxing, my kid is behind me in the pool, but it's coming in my mind to do this video. I don't know why, don't ask me why.

"You know I never speak for the press, I never speak about my private life, but I want this opportunity to say the last couple of weeks the press tried to say trash about me - that I have new girlfriends, day by day that I have new girlfriends, that I do this, I do that.

"Just leave me alone.

"Let me do my work properly like I do every year. Don't try to damage my image because it's not going to happen.

"So this message is for you guys, we're still together - day by day, month by month, year by year. Thank you guys."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Emery signs new Sevilla contract

5 June 2015

856648header.jpg

Unai Emery has committed his future to Sevilla by signing a new contract to keep him at the club until 2017.

The 43-year-old has led Sevilla to back-to-back UEFA Europa League titles, earning a shot at next season's UEFA Champions League following a recent rule change.

Emery had been linked with managerial vacancies at Napoli and West Ham, but has now elected to remain at Estadio Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan for an extra season on top of his current deal.

Having started his coaching career with roles at Lorca Deportiva, Almeria, Valencia and Spartak Moscow, Emery arrived in Seville in 2013.

And, in addition to success on the European stage, Emery has guided the club to consecutive fifth-placed finishes in La Liga.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale: I´m staying at Real Madrid

6 June 2015

857137header.jpg

Gareth Bale has rubbished rumours of a rift with team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and says he will remain at Real Madrid next season.

The Welshman has endured a rocky second season at Real - coming in for criticism from fans for a number of below-par showings, while apparently incurring the wrath of Ronaldo.

Ronaldo appeared to be annoyed when Bale opted to shoot instead of pass during a victory over Levante in March.

And despite coach Carlo Ancelotti paying the price for a disappointing campaign - the Italian replaced by Rafael Benitez this week - Bale insists he is not seeking a move away.

"Of course, yes [I will be at Madrid next season]," the former Tottenham man told The Sun.

"I'm a Real Madrid player and I'll carry on as normal. I am enjoying it and hopefully I can continue to.

"I feel settled. I'm looking forward now to playing and winning more trophies. My goal is to keep improving, performing and to win as many titles as I can."

When quizzed on his reported disagreement with Ronaldo, Bale added: "It's rubbish.

"When you are on the pitch you try to help your team-mates as much as you can. People are trying to create problems which aren't there.

"It's good and normal training and playing with Cristiano. You train with the best players and you try to improve as much as they do."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cristiano Ronaldo's mother detained for carrying €55,000

cristiano-ronaldo-real-madrid-champions-league_1a3zbjv2rk43c130t9617w05k5.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 8, 2015 16:54:32

The mother of the Real Madrid star was held at the Barajas airport for carrying over five times the maximum amount of cash allowed on an aeroplane

Cristiano Ronaldo's mother got herself into trouble with the law recently when she was found to have been travelling with €55,000 in her hand luggage. according to reports in Spain.

According to Europa Press, Dolores Aveiro was in the Barajas airport in Madrid in April when a routine search found out how much money she was carrying.

The maximum amount of cash a person is permitted to carry on an aeroplane when leaving Spain is €10,000, leading to the mother of the three-time Ballon d'Or winner being detained when it was revealed she had over five times the legal limit.

The press agency reports that she could not justify the amount of money she was carrying, so the police confiscated €45,000 and allowed her to travel to Portugal with the remaining money.

In carrying so much, Aveiro committed an administrative offence and now must pay a fine to the tax authorities in order to free up the remainder of her money.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

'It's a dream come true' - Vidal unveiled at Barcelona

barcelona-aleix-vidal_tg83gg0nsfdi1wd3w7d7n9umc.png

By Peter McVitie
Jun 8, 2015 14:06:00

The 25-year-old attacker returns to the club with which he spent one year as a youth player and says he is elated to be back home

Aleix Vidal says signing for Barcelona is a "dream come true" and insists he has no problem with having to wait until January to make his debut.

The winger, who spent one year in the Barca youth system as an 11-year-old, was unveiled to the media on Monday after joining from Sevilla.

However, Barca's transfer ban means they cannot complete registrations and field new players until January 2016, so he will have to wait months before he can play his first game.

The 25-year-old, who is expected to play as a full-back at Barca, says he is happy to take the time to adapt to his new surroundings as he prepares for his debut.

"After the birth of my daughter, this is the most important day of my life. I'm back at what used to be my home. If it's the start of a winning cycle then so much the better.

"When I realised it was going to happen, I didn't think it would be a problem being out until January. Positives come with that - I can concentrate on getting ready for where I'm going to play.

"It was a very clear decision that I made to come to this club. The time out is going to be useful for me to improve specific elements of playing in a position that's still relatively new to me.

"I only played my first games at full-back last season, but it's up to the manager where I play."

Vidal, who played for Espanyol B, Gimnastic, Mallorca B and Almeria amongst others before joining Sevilla last season and winning the Europa League, admitted that he did not know he would be joining Luis Enrique's side until the day before his unveiling and hopes that Dani Alves will remain at the club.

"I've been focused now on playing with the national team but then this opportunity came up very quickly. It was only Sunday afternoon that I found out the two parties had decided and I had to get straight on a plane to come here.

"I've come back to what was my home for a year. Since I was very young, I had to move from club to club on my quest to become a pro. All those different experiences were useful though.

"It hasn't really sunk in yet. This year I played eight or nine games as a full back and we didn't lose any of them. Including in the Europa League semi final, where I scored a goal.

"One of the keys to playing in a team like this is you're going to have lots of competition for places. If Dani stays, then it's wonderful, but it's not for me to comment. It would be great for him to stay here.

"I don't feel pressure about competing against one of the best full-backs in the world. I think it's a challenge. I'm relaxed. I know what I can do and contribute and if Alves stays, then the competition will be excellent for him and for me.

"It's not my position that I've always played in. I think there are certain things that can always be improved, but that's why it's nice that I've got months to work on those aspects of my game."

Despite winning a domestic and European treble, Luis Enrique says his future at Barca remains uncertain, but Vidal believes he will still be in charge when the new season comes around.

"I had an opportunity to speak to Luis Enrique after my medical. I assume he will be the manager next season. I don't think the speculation around it will be a problem for me."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Xavi: I'm in Qatar to continue winning titles

xavi-barcelona-celebrate-juventus-barcelona-champions-league-final-06062015_sjlhnl0ur7sh1jb0d7g85tvg5.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 11, 2015 16:41:28

The former Spain international has penned a lucrative two-year contract with Al-Sadd but he insists that he is driven by the desire to claim more silverware

Xavi insists that he has joined Al-Sadd with the goal of winning further titles and sharing his knowledge and experience with the aim of boosting the profile of Qatari football.

The iconic midfielder brought the curtain down on his illustrious 24-year Barcelona career on Saturday, with the former Spain international playing his part in the 3-1 Champions League final victory over Juventus that saw the Catalans claim a treble.

Xavi still had a year to run on his contract with the Blaugrana but he instead opted to accept a lucrative move to Qatar and was formally unveiled as an Al-Sadd player on Thursday.

The World Cup winner promptly dismissed the notion that his switch was motivated by money, insisting that he remains as determined as ever to lift trophies.

"I am very proud to be here," he told reporters on Thursday. "I have the excitement of a kid and I want to keep on winning titles.

"I know many players who have played here. Many legends have been telling me wonders about it and I know that it's a competitive league.

"I want to win the title here and the Asian Champions League is also an exciting goal for me.

"I also want to share my knowledge of everything I learned at Barcelona.

"I want to bring all my Barca experience: the values, sacrifice, effort and humility.

"But this is a country where I can learn about football but also about culture, which will be enriching for me and my family."

Xavi refused to be drawn on whether he will retire upon the expiration of his Al-Sadd contract in 2017 but did admit that he is looking forward to promoting only Qatar's hosting of the 2022 World Cup.

"My contract with Al-Sadd is for two years and then I will be ambassador until 2022," he added.

"First, I want to keep playing football. Everyone is excited about a World Cup in an Arab country. I am very excited as an ambassador.

"After that, I'll see what I'll do, but for now I'm just thinking about enjoying this wonderful stage."

"But I would like the Al Sadd to play in Camp Nou, not only for me but for the team, as it would be a fantastic experience."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona wanted me to replace Xavi, reveals Koke

koke_1thfeyjasc1by15bfy7wymfy12.jpg

By Alberto Pinero
Jun 11, 2015 10:20:34

EXCLUSIVE: The 23-year-old has confirmed the Catalans wanted to sign him last summer, while Real Madrid also attempted to lure him to the Bernabeu as a teenager

Atletico Madrid star Koke has revealed Barcelona approached him last summer after identifying him as Xavi's long term successor.

The 23-year-old is a product of Atletico's academy and made his debut as a 17-year-old against Barca back in 2009, before establishing himself as one of Spain's finest midfielders.

Koke has long been rumoured to be a target of Manchester United, but revealed Barcelona moved for him 12 months ago.

"Last summer I knew there was an interest from Barcelona in me. But my head was at Atletico Madrid," he told Goal . "I grew up here, and did not have that need to go. I'm very comfortable here, and for now I don't see the need to go.

"Real Madrid also tried to prise me away when I was with the Under-16 team. But Atletico said it would not happen. And thank God, I'm still here. Hopefully I can be a one-club man and win a lot with Atletico.

"The goodbyes to [Steven] Gerrard and Xavi [when each left Liverpool and Barcelona respectively] were spectacular. They only played for the same club in their careers, and it was very beautiful."

Koke was also keen play down his tag as the 'new Xavi', but admitted the veteran has been a role model for him throughout his formative years.

"Me, the 'new Xavi'? In the end, there is not going to be a 'new Xavi', or 'new Iniesta', or 'new whatever'," the Spain international continued. "I hope to be remembered as Koke.

"Still, Xavi has been a reference for me. I shared a year with him in the [national] team, and learnt many things from him. For me, it is an honour to have shared that time with him."

Koke is also hopeful he will return to his favoured central midfield berth next term after operating out wide for much of last season.

"I was not as good as I could have been last term," he concluded. " There were so many games being played, after three or four years in which we gave everything.

"I am ready to play as a central midfielder next season, as Cholo [Simeone] recently said. His philosphy is playing to win, to give everything in each game and wanting to win every one.

"Maybe there was a slight downturn at the end, not only with me but the whole group. So perhaps that's why Simeone is looking to change things at Atletico."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Treble celebrations convinced me to stay - Alves

10 June 2015

859142header.jpg

Barcelona right-back Dani Alves says the reception he received at their treble celebrations convinced him to stay at the club.

Alves had been widely expected to leave Barca in the close-season due to his apparent refusal to put to paper on a new deal.

But the Brazil international signed a new two-year-contract, with an option for a third year, at Camp Nou on Tuesday, meaning he will remain with Barca until at least 2017.

The former Sevilla man had been linked with Manchester United, Milan and Paris Saint-Germain.

​Alves was tearful during festivities at Barca's stadium after their 3-1 win over Juventus in the UEFA Champions League final, which saw them add European club football's biggest prize to La Liga and Copa del Rey titles.

And, speaking at a news conference, Alves said: "I still have a lot to offer this club. A series of positive factors were accumulating and they led me to make my decision.

"It wasn't a question of negotiations. I just didn't feel comfortable. The most difficult thing for a professional is to keep being better than what you've already achieved. And we've done that at this club.

"I got my feeling because of all my team-mates at this club, when things were going wrong it was like they were pointing the finger at me. I felt a bit out of things, perhaps under appreciated. I wasn't sure I was wanted.

"When you're in the last year of your contract, you start thinking 'this is my last year'. Through work and professionalism, I've thought things over.

"Arriving at Camp Nou, I realised I'd made a mistake, I realised the people do love me. Those are the things that led me to change my mind.

"I was just really, really happy [at the celebration]. Things had been said with the team-mates that made me feel a bit touched. And when I started speaking and the fans started chanting my name, I just couldn't hold back the tears.

"I just wanted to continue following my heart and my heart told me I should stay at this club."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca announce presidential election date

10 June 2015

859379header.jpg

Barcelona will stage presidential elections on July 18, the UEFA Champions League winners have announced.

The Camp Nou outfit this week tied coach Luis Enrique to a fresh deal that runs until 2017 and will now turn their attentions to the presidency.

Ramon Adell - head of the managing commission that oversees the club when the elected board stands down - announced the news on Wednesday.

Josep Maria Bartomeu has been Barca's president since January 2014, with the 52-year-old having succeeded Sandro Rosell.

As well as Saturday's Berlin triumph over Juventus, Barca have won La Liga and the Copa del Rey this season.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Raul optimistic Benitez can thrive at Real

15 June 2015

861899header.jpg

Raul is backing Rafael Benitez to be a success at Real Madrid in a new era for the Liga giants.

Benitez was confirmed as Carlo Ancelotti's successor at Santiago Bernabeu earlier this month after ending his two-year tenure at Napoli.

The former Valencia coach will be under pressure to bring Barcelona back down to earth after the Catalan giants won the treble in the 2014-15 season.

Real legend Raul, now playing for New York Cosmos in the twilight of his career, believes Madrid-born Benitez can make his mark back in his homeland.

When asked about the decision to sack Ancelotti, Raul told Marca: "The club has to make decisions and those decisions have to be backed.

"We have to thank Ancelotti for the great job he did, but now we are all excited about a new era with a new manager. I believe you have to be optimistic. And hopefully we can carry off lots of trophies next season.

"He (Benitez) was the manager when I made my debut and played my only game for Real Madrid B, against Palamos. He is a very keen and methodical manager.

"He likes to have the whole squad ready and able to play. It was Benítez's dream to manage Real Madrid, and his successes at the other teams he has managed have eventually brought him to Real Madrid, and he will certainly build a very competitive and winning team."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodrigo seals permanent Valencia switch

15 June 2015

861969header.jpg

Rodrigo Moreno completed a permanent move from Benfica to Valencia on Monday, signing a four-year deal.

The Spain forward joined the Liga side on a season-long loan last July with the option of extending his stay at the Mestalla.

Valencia have now exercised their option of retaining Rodrigo just a few days after Andre Gomes joined Nuno Espirito Santo's side on a permanent basis from Benfica.

Rodrigo spoke of his determination to fire Valencia into the group stage of the UEFA Champions League after playing his part in ensuring they finished fourth in La Liga to set up a qualifier in Europe's premier club competition.

"After a year in Valencia I feel very happy and eager to be better every day. Now we have to think about the Champions League and get into the group stage," Rodrigo said.

"I've been fortunate to play in this competition with Benfica and now I want to do so with Valencia."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Reyes extends Sevilla stay

15 June 2015

861976header.jpg

Jose Antonio Reyes will remain at Sevilla after signing a new two-year contract with the UEFA Europa League champions.

The forward, born just outside Sevilla, started his career with the Andalusian club and made an emotional return in January 2012.

Reyes' future was uncertain with his contract due to expire at the end of this month, but the 31-year-old has put pen to paper on a fresh deal.

The former Arsenal man helped Sevilla win back-to-back UEFA Europa League titles and is set to feature for Unai Emery's men in the Champions League next season.

Departing the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan is goalkeeper Mariano Barbosa, who has been released 12 months into a two-year deal.

Argentine keeper Barbosa made just two appearances in 2014-15 due to the emergence of home-grown youngster Sergio Rico between the sticks after previous first-choice Beto was struck by a shoulder injury.

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

New Betis signing Van der Vaart: I want to win La Liga

rafael-van-der-vaart-betis-16062015_1ivhwu9qkqoj91ab4kmxqw7998.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jun 16, 2015 15:24:16

The experienced midfielder is delighted to have returned to "the best league in the world" and has made it clear he remains ambitious

Rafael van der Vaart claims he wants to win La Liga after signing for Real Betis.

The 32-year-old has completed a return to Spain's top flight following two deeply disappointing seasons in the Bundesliga with Hamburg and was unveiled to supporters and the media on Tuesday.

The hugely-experienced Netherlands international made it clear he still has lofty ambitions after agreeing a deal with the newly-promoted side.

"I spoke with the coach and we want to win the league," he said wryly to reporters.

"The most important thing is that the fans are happy because we're playing good football. When the club dropped to the Segunda [Division], I saw they still had 40,000 fans on YouTube, and that says a lot about the club.

"Betis are a great club and I'm happy to return to the best league in the world."

Van der Vaart, whose mother is from Cadiz, spent two years with Real Madrid before joining Tottenham for a successful two-season spell in the Premier League.

And the Ajax youth academy graduate is now eager to secure a return to the national set-up by impressing for Betis.

"I have huge ambition. In football, one day you're king, another you're bad. I want to return to the Holland side," he said.

"I'm a different footballer to the one who played at Real Madrid. I've got more experience, but I suppose that I'm basically the same type of player."

In an annual survey by German publication Kicker, Van der Vaart emerged top of a poll asking for Bundesliga players to nominate the most disappointing players of the season.

"I had two bad years with Hamburg but I think I'm still a good player. The Kicker piece doesn't bother me," he said simply.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid want Pogba - Zidane

paul-pogba-albania-france-friendly-13062015_1jjngie26bnni1tpee8fu6yenx.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jun 15, 2015 18:56:25

The club's Castilla coach has let slip the club's interest in the midfielder after labelling him "the complete player"

Zinedine Zidane has revealed Real Madrid are interested in signing Paul Pogba this summer.

The club have long been linked with his signature, despite the player's agent Mino Raiola previously criticising Madrid's transfer policy.

Pogba's representative said the midfielder wouldn't join Rafa Benitez's side because of the way certain players are treated.

However, Raiola reportedly met Madrid officials prior to the Champions League final and Zidane admitted the France international is a target.

He told radio station RTL: "He has everything. I think that he’s fantastic. What I like about him is that he has it all.

"He is a complete player who also has the ability to score goals because he likes to get forward. In terms of footballing qualities, he is extraordinary.

"A lot of clubs are interested in him and so are Real. It is natural that talented players are of interest to all the big clubs."

He added: "For his continued growth it is important that he has a healthy environment and I hope that he will always have that."

Pogba, 22, has a contract with Juventus until 2019, having moved to Turin on a free transfer in 2012 after leaving Manchester United.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roberto Carlos: Sacking Ancelotti was wrong but Benitez is the right replacement

roberto-carlos-real-madrid-la-liga-02102005_11j7emznn5ciq1tw9c4hutm2bt.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 15, 2015 07:42:18

The Brazilian believes the Italian should have been given more time but he is confident his successor can do a good job at the Bernabeu

Former Real Madrid ace Roberto Carlos says club president Florentino Perez was wrong to sack Carlo Ancelotti as coach - but nonetheless feels that Rafael Benitez is a fine replacement.

Ancelotti arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu in the summer of 2013 and won the Copa del Rey and Champions League in his first season at the helm.

However, he failed to retain either title last term, while Madrid were also beaten to the Liga title by great rivals Barcelona, prompting Perez to part company with the Italian trainer.

Benitez, who started his coaching career in the Spanish capital, was quickly named as Ancelotti's successor and Roberto Carlos believes the ex-Liverpool boss is the right man for the job.

"I didn't agree with Carlo Ancelotti's departure, just like I didn't agree when Vicente del Bosque and Jupp Heynckes were sacked back in the day," the Brazilian told Marca. "You have to let coaches do their work, but it's Florentino's decision; he's in charge.

"Benitez is in a fine period of his career and can do very well at Real Madrid. He's a good choice; he's a good coach and he knows the club inside out. I wish him the best: it's not an easy job.

"The culture is based on winning all the time and if you go a while without winning a trophy, there's a big crisis.

"That's not just the case at Real Madrid, though: it's the same at Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester United and City."

Just like Ancelotti, winger Gareth Bale came in for a lot of criticism last season but Roberto Carlos feels that the Welshman has been unfairly maligned.

"I hope he doesn't leave," the former left-back added. "He's done fantastically up to now.

"Sometimes players can make statements or comments that can have a negative effect, but in my view he's a fantastic player."