• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysians in Singapore 'last to be let go'

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysians in Singapore 'last to be let go'

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA: Malaysia's understanding of Singapore's "unwritten policy" on retrenchment of foreign workers is that Malaysians will be let off last, Human Resource Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam said yesterday.

He said this was because of the cultural similarities between the two countries.

"But a lot of them have been asked to work fewer hours or shorter days," Subramaniam told reporters when met at a dialogue organised by the EU-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Some 350,000 Malaysians work in Singapore, with 150,000 commuting from Johor Baru, and the rest believed to be residing in Singapore.

While Subramaniam maintained that the number of Malaysians retrenched in Singapore had been low so far, there was no data to corroborate this.

"We don't know (the number of Malaysians retrenched in Singapore), because we don't have any figures. Maybe people have lost jobs but have not told anybody.

"The Singapore government does not have figures on the number of Malaysians retrenched either. So this is all pure speculation."

He urged those who had lost jobs in Singapore to register with the ministry in Johor Baru or meet the ministry's labour attache in Singapore.

He told participants of the dialogue on "Retrenchment Scenario and the Government's Response" that 19,700 people had been retrenched in Malaysia so far, while another 45,000 were considered "vulnerable" to retrenchment.

"These 45,000 workers are those who have already received a pay cut or been asked to work fewer hours or days. The ministry believes that they are in the danger zone of being retrenched."

Of the 19,700 retrenched, 13,821 were Malaysians.

Subramaniam also spoke to reporters at a signing ceremony here yesterday where he witnessed the signing of a collective agreement between brewery company Guinness Anchor Bhd and the Union of Beverage Industry Workers.

He said his ministry was working towards putting an end soon to low wages in the security, hospitality, electronics and textile sectors.

It was using the Wages Council to address sectors with low wages.

"We are reviewing the salary scales in the security sector because they are exceedingly low now. The workers tend to work 12-hour shifts and earn a salary of RM600 to RM700."

He said his ministry would announce the pay structure within the month and would ensure that companies complied with them.

"It will be empowered through the Wages Council Act. We are slowly addressing sectors in which salaries are low and there is no union in the sector to achieve a collective agreement."

He said this was not the case for the plantation sector as all salaries and remuneration were decided via a collective agreement.

He added that the national minimum wage issue would be placed on hold until the economy recovered.

"We are trying to preserve jobs now. So it's not the right time to talk about a minimum wage. We will look at the issue once the economy improves."

Subramaniam also said that a retirement age cap should not be placed on the private sector as had been done in the civil service.

"I don't believe we should cap the age limit at 58 for the private sector as some private companies hire on a contract basis until the employee is 60 years old."

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Subramaniam is an idiot. Singapore govt cannot even guarantee Singaporeans' jobs. How to guarantee Malaysians?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1st to be let go -
SINGAPORE CITIZENS!

Laughing.jpg

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps something can be worked out, e.g. Singapore protects Malaysian workers in Singapore from retrenchment while Malaysia harbours Singapore old folks.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's about bloody time Malaysia starts taking care of its minorities instead of having them scurrying around the globe eking out a living.

Perhaps something can be worked out, e.g. Singapore protects Malaysian workers in Singapore from retrenchment while Malaysia harbours Singapore old folks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Subramaniam is an idiot. Singapore govt cannot even guarantee Singaporeans' jobs. How to guarantee Malaysians?
Actually he is indeed right. It has been an unwritten law and continues to be so. Right from the very start, Singapore had to rely on Malaysia for human resources right across every sector for its existence.

Withdrawal of CPF by Malaysian are also interwined with this.

Not many are ware but many public sectors in the past had more malaysians than Singaporeans. Until the late 70s there were more Malaysians than Singaporeans in the Singapore Police Force.

In fact, from certain sources, it appears that the biggest difficulty facing the authorities is to separate Malaysians from other foreigners to allow labour policy to be more targetted.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
No way and not fair!!!

Actually he is indeed right. It has been an unwritten law and continues to be so. Right from the very start, Singapore had to rely on Malaysia for human resources right across every sector for its existence.

Withdrawal of CPF by Malaysian are also interwined with this.

Not many are ware but many public sectors in the past had more malaysians than Singaporeans. Until the late 70s there were more Malaysians than Singaporeans in the Singapore Police Force.

In fact, from certain sources, it appears that the biggest difficulty facing the authorities is to separate Malaysians from other foreigners to allow labour policy to be more targetted.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No way and not fair!!!

In the MID 90s, the Govt realised that most Malaysians working in Singapore had stopped converting to Singapore citizenship. They had to pass a policy which required all Dept Heads in the Civil Service and GLCs to be Singapore citizens. To their shock, they were surprised to learn that the Malaysians were prepared to give up their Dept Head status to a subordinate.

Its a telling sign of the this country future as a country or more likely a place to work and make money and nothing else. Kudos to the PAP for fucking up a nation.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many of the msians working in Chartered are waiting to be retrench so that can get retrenchment benefits. Especially those who had been working there for 10+ yrs and working at the older fabs. Imagine one mth for every year work, ten+ years already more than Ringgit 25,000.00 at the very least. easy money....:rolleyes:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
they're the lucky ones. yes. then they complain to young people like me and tell me me all the good jobs are stolen by me!?!? yeah right. i feel more like a chinaman thesedays. less than minimum wage of a a real developed country and working longer hrs than any of those "retired" senior management folks who whine to me about how it was stressful for them and i should be so lucky... that i don't know nobody and can't pay for education, and i don't look like a model. i'm so lucky to be born poor and staying poor. butlocks. i wish they hang the AIG and lehman bros management in yankeeland. who wants to beat up a millionaire or at least someone who earns 250k a year?!? ME!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is an unwritten knowledge that Malaysians had taken over the hiring in Singapore, for many became PR's from the 1980's.

Those Malaysian's ( now permanant residents) in hiring, will fire sinGAPOREANs first, and Malaysians last!

That is the unwritten policy!!!..even the labour minister do not support a hire sinGAPOREAN first, you expect them to be sacked last?

singaforever

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the MID 90s, the Govt realised that most Malaysians working in Singapore had stopped converting to Singapore citizenship. They had to pass a policy which required all Dept Heads in the Civil Service and GLCs to be Singapore citizens. To their shock, they were surprised to learn that the Malaysians were prepared to give up their Dept Head status to a subordinate.

Its a telling sign of the this country future as a country or more likely a place to work and make money and nothing else. Kudos to the PAP for fucking up a nation.

You are spot on with this observation. ME got quite a number of friends who also passed up their promotion as they intend to 'balek kampung' one day. Nevertheless they are a hardworking and reliable lot, much much better than the PRCs and the Indians.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've always envied Malaysian PRs

They get educated and employed here like sinkaporeans but no need for NS

Some get paid the same rate but no CPF

After that they can get a big place in their hometown for retirement

Dream life

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've always envied Malaysian PRs

They get educated and employed here like sinkaporeans but no need for NS

Some get paid the same rate but no CPF

After that they can get a big place in their hometown for retirement

Dream life

Let me add something else that is not widely known. For years, Malaysians studying here upon graduation are entitled to subsidised rental at ridiculous prices under the "PIPs" scheme. Came to know of a couple, both M'sian PRs, both accountants, occupying a rental under the scheme while renting out their condo. Came to know of this case by fluke.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are spot on with this observation. ME got quite a number of friends who also passed up their promotion as they intend to 'balek kampung' one day. Nevertheless they are a hardworking and reliable lot, much much better than the PRCs and the Indians.

It used to a major headache with PSC at promotion time. It came to a stage where the decision was made to notify promotion candidates at interview time that they would be passed up if they did not convert to Singapore citizenship. Many said that they will not. The tide turned in 1983 and has not changed.

jw5

Loyal
It used to a major headache with PSC at promotion time. It came to a stage where the decision was made to notify promotion candidates at interview time that they would be passed up if they did not convert to Singapore citizenship. Many said that they will not. The tide turned in 1983 and has not changed.
To many of these folks, the ends (promotion and more money) do not always justify the means (being a Singkie).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Straddling both sides. Excuse my ignorance, but what's with tide 83?

Around the 1983 period, the corridors of power realised that Malaysian PRs stopped converting to Singapore citinzenship. Prior to that, the demand to convert was so high that they had required M'sian PRs to complete 10 years of residence and work before allowing them to be citizens.

Couple of factors can be attributed to the change.

1) Non Bumi Malaysians realised that grasping the Malay language was not a major issue witn many aceing the language in Malaysian O and A level exams. Note that earlier exodus was due to Malaysia changing the education language medium from English to Malays for all subjects.

2) Overall opportunities in Malaysia for non bumis were more than just crumps despite the NEP.

3) Currency parity gave up and Malaysia became more affordable especially for those working in Singapore.

4) Land and English concept of home being his castle held forth. And they had heaps.

5) Singapore policy of treating PRs and citizens in an identical manner except for NS made little sense to convert.

6) It dawned on a Malaysian PRs ( and I guess for all PRs here) that Singapore is an excellent place for work and business and treats everyone equally and that it is not a country. Work here and retire home became the mantra.

Singapore needed M'sians in huge numbers to fuel its economy and there is no doubt about that and even now. The Policy wonks however failed to tweak the system. In early 1990, they fumbled badly again. They opened up the etlite admin and civil serivice to foreigners and that it is the best paying government in the world made it even worse.

That decade also saw that globalisation had forced many countries to allow dual or multiple citizenship and even worse allowing ex-citizens to reclaim a citizenship. For instance, a PRC who gives up his citizenship can reapply to get it back only once. India and Australia also allows that.

Interestingly Malaysia allows that in practice for a practising muslim but not others thus non-bumi Malaysians will not give up their citizenship.

The failures in this area is so bad that it has effected the social fabric of society and people began questioning the NS sacrifice. To address it, they created a special department in PMO to handle this by someone holding the rank of PS who for some reason is the former director of ISD.

As you know, the Govt of Singapore thinks that the majority of Singaporeans are dumb and these things are never revealed for a discussion to take place. When a policy is decided, they will organise talks to "influential singaporeans" at special locations such as the pyramid club. And you know Singaporeans, they will nod in order to be invited again to rub shoulders but go home and bitch about it. The second front where dessemination takes place is at grassroots organisation low lifes of the country gather and only react angrily when they can't get a seat at the NDP.