• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Poly student dies before exam

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,193203,00.html?

Poly student dies before exam
By Lediati Tan

February 18, 2009

NP_IMAGES_LTBLOOD.jpg

ACTIVE TEEN: Jordan Tan Jun Jie, 19, a Ngee Ann Poly year-two molecular biotechnology student, collapsed while studying for exams. PICTURE: SHIN MIN DAILY

HE was preparing for his exams in school when he suddenly threw up his lunch followed by a lot of blood.

Subsequently, he lost consciousness and was taken to the hospital.

That was on 10 Feb.

Five days after being admitted to the hospital, polytechnic student Jordan Tan Jun Jie, 19, died.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the second-year Molecular Biotechnology student at Ngee Ann Polytechnic was preparing for his exams at the basement of his school's convention centre when he suddenly vomited.

He lost consciousness before paramedics arrived, and was taken to the National University Hospital (NUH) where doctors discovered a blood clot in his brain.

An immediate operation was needed, but doctors were unable to operate on him as he had a low blood platelet count - a condition known as thrombocytopenia.

Platelets are cells in the blood which aid in blood clotting.

He fell into a coma after a minor operation was performed to ease the mounting blood pressure in his brain.

Jun Jie was certified brain dead on 12 Feb, and died at 5.25am on 15 Feb.

At the teen's wake yesterday, his parents declined to be interviewed.

They would only say that Jun Jie was healthy and active, and they were not aware that he suffered from thrombocytopenia.

Help flowed in

Jun Jie's collapse touched many who knew him.

Since 10 Feb, it has triggered a flurry of online postings by his friends and schoolmates, offering words of encouragement while he was in a coma.

An appeal for B+ and O+ blood platelets was posted by Lee Xian Jie on np Tribune's website - the polytechnic's newspaper - asking people to donate at the blood donation centre at NUH.

People responded to the appeal but it is unclear how many came forward. According to the post, Jun Jie was hospitalised for a viral infection.

Blogger Xinying wrote on 13 Feb: 'There will no longer be a brother who... teaches (me) how to play badminton better... who can help me academically...'

Blogger Izhar who identified himself as Jun Jie's good friend wrote on 12 Feb: 'Today, I went to visit (Jordan) at NUH. He was in (a) coma.

'It was very touching to see his mother talk to him, trying to wake him up from his deep sleep.'

A Facebook group named 'In Memory of Jordan Tan Jun Jie' with more than 570 members was also created to pay tribute to the teen, and the number continues to grow.

Jun Jie will be cremated today.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?sid=b582b4df6f51e91c5357c573d420084b&gid=63659819328

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
n63659819328_3344.jpg

Jordan Tan Jun Jie is a student of Ngee Ann Polytechnic's School of Life Sciences and Chemical Technology, Molecular Biotechnology. He is a year 2 student as well as a committee member for the LSCT GL's. He suffers from a condition known as thrombocytopenia, which is the cause for his low blood platelet count.

On the 10th of Febuary 2009, Jordan was at NP's Convention Center's basement preparing for a test. Jordan vomited out his lunch as well as a lot of blood, and eventually fainted before the paramedics arrived.
He was sent to NUH A&E, where doctors found a blood clot in his brain, but were unable to operate immediately because of his low blood platelet count.
After being in critical condition for almost 12 hours, a small operation was carried out to ease the blood pressure in his brain, which was mounting to a dangerous level.
He has been in a coma ever since, and doctors have certified him brain dead as of 12th Febuary 2009.

However, the masses of people who went to visit Jordan are still not giving up hope. They are still hoping and praying for Jordan, and they are constantly visiting him and folding paper cranes and stars at ward 21 in the hopes of him waking up.

I, as a classmate and close friend to Jordan, also hopes with all my heart that my good friend Jordan will wake up soon. I have been praying along with all my classmates for him. This group was created to ask for prayers and well wishes to Jordan, as well as to provide support in any way possible to his family.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looks human being outside but feed thyself mee pok everyday !

Nutrient intake non-existent ! Blame government for expensive food courts and high coffee shop rental !