• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Separate section for copy and paste threads?

What to do with Copy & Paste Articles from various news sources

• Leave them in the "Friendly Coffee Shop Talk" section.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Create a new section just for this category of Posts.

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
The underlying purpose of copying and pasting news articles to start threads is a good one. It gives us a chance to discuss the issue being reported.

However, it is not exactly coffee shop chit chat. Shall I create a separate section for copy and paste articles so that the "friendly coffee shop talk" section can be used for its intended purpose?.. ie friendly humorous banter.

You don't go to a coffee shop or restaurant, meet a friend and without saying anything, thrust a copy of a Shitty Times article in his face do you?:p

I know all the other clone delphi sammyboy forums are madly copying and pasting articles in order to jump start their forums but I would prefer less of these news articles and more genuine interaction. I don't need threads to be started just to make the forum busy. I plan stuff for the long haul. No other forum host has the same staying power I have!

That's because I don't have a day job. I therefore have loads of time on my hands.:biggrin:

Please give your opinion via this poll.

You have a point there. But sometimes, people in kopitiam will do this: while reading the newspaper, one tell his/ her friends, 'CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT, THIS NEWS ARTCILE??' And thus the chit chatting, kao bei kao bu start.

I think its not a good idea to have a separate folder. Just like your previous forum, u impose a separate folder for polls, but sometimes the poll is good in other folder. So when u impose a policy of separate folder for cut and paste articles, its just... not quite flexible.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You have a point there. But sometimes, people in kopitiam will do this: while reading the newspaper, one tell his/ her friends, 'CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT, THIS NEWS ARTCILE??' And thus the chit chatting, kao bei kao bu start.

I think its not a good idea to have a separate folder. Just like your previous forum, u impose a separate folder for polls, but sometimes the poll is good in other folder. So when u impose a policy of separate folder for cut and paste articles, its just... not quite flexible.

When I log on and see 90% of the displayed threads consisting of a news article and no accompanying comments and no responses, I say to myself, "I've got to do something about this."

If I log on and see 30% of threads started with news articles while the rest consist of human to human dialogue, my reaction is ... "this is going well".

As is the case with all things, it's a matter of degree.

Let's see how things go. It's early days yet. In the last days of the coffee shop, I used to get really peeved to see nothing but news articles in the coffee shop talk section.... 100s of them.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
"You don't go to a coffee shop or restaurant, meet a friend and without saying anything, thrust a copy of a Shitty Times article in his face do you?"

The above quote from you, its a very good point.

So, whoever just cut and paste without any commentary, instead, he/ she just state, 'Please discuss, please comment.', like some kind of essay question, maybe u could just move the thread to the heap of rubbish folder.

Last edited:

gsgd

However, it is not exactly coffee shop chit chat. Shall I create a separate section for copy and paste articles so that the "friendly coffee shop talk" section can be used for its intended purpose?.. ie friendly humorous banter.

No problems having copy & paste here, except maybe its me but at the moment it seems 80% of the threads here might be better off in the political forum. :rolleyes:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The underlying purpose of copying and pasting news articles to start threads is a good one. It gives us a chance to discuss the issue being reported.

You don't go to a coffee shop or restaurant, meet a friend and without saying anything, thrust a copy of a Shitty Times article in his face do you?:p

Initially, i wanna suggest this to you as well, but i guess you are experience enough to know that. I find the copying and pasting of those stomp articles are kind of irritating and disturb the whole forum.

I support the idea in creating a section for that.

makapa

Alfrescian
Loyal
"You don't go to a coffee shop or restaurant, meet a friend and without saying anything, thrust a copy of a Shitty Times article in his face do you?"

The above quote from you, its a very good point.

So, whoever just cut and paste without any commentary, instead, he/ she just state, 'Please discuss, please comment.', like some kind of essay question, maybe u could just move the thread to the heap of rubbish folder.

You also don't go to a coffee shop or reataurant, meet a friend and have some guy come cover and say please stop reading the shitty times and please seat somewhereelse

makapa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Initially, i wanna suggest this to you as well, but i guess you are experience enough to know that. I find the copying and pasting of those stomp articles are kind of irritating and disturb the whole forum.
I support the idea in creating a section for that.

Oh really?

So these Stomp articles irritate you and disrupt discussions.... hmmm... that didnt stop you from participating in a thread started by... oh my.. a stomp article on woman eating in the train.

http://sammyboy.com/showpost.php?p=10583&postcount=9

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hey, relax lah... I mean the coffeeshop is for relax discussion. I will still take part but those pasting and copying sort fo disturb the thread in the friendly forum.

i see the friendly forum as for people to start the thread on their own, own opinion and ideas rather than pasting articles for that.

The rate of pasting is fast and quite a number too and it pushes the other thread down fast. Personally, i like to read on personal views of others rather than from an article which seems like a news story, as it is being labeled this way. A separate section for it is actually good.

These articles are good too. i dun mean bad but to me, it is not suitable to be put at that forum.

I apologised if my comments of the previous post offended you. Sorry.

makapa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, relax lah... I mean the coffeeshop is for relax discussion. I will still take part but those pasting and copying sort fo disturb the thread in the friendly forum.

i see the friendly forum as for people to start the thread on their own, own opinion and ideas rather than pasting articles for that.

These articles are good too. i dun mean bad but to me, it is not suitable to be put at that forum.

I apologised if my comments of the previous post offended you. Sorry.

So this section should be dedicated to discuss xiaxue and her adventures?

Discussions should be vibrant and varied. You you start drawing too many lines, you will soon find you have a folder for celeb gossip on ch5 stars, a folder for ch8 stars, a folder for sdp discussions, a folder for sdp news..... see what i mean.

If this forum is meant for us to say " hi morning", "rgs girls liplai"... then you might as well go to EDMW. They are v friendly

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
or maybe i should cut down on my beauty sleep in the afternoon.. do u think it will help. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yeah u nid 2 move ur ass more often... Hav u try exercising in the evening? I do long walk in the weekend and sometime shorter 1 during weekday evening... Dun surf or game 2 hrs b4 u sleep... Play game ur mind will be bery active... Surf forum... Ur mood might be affect by psychopath like me... :biggrin::p Some say electronic stuff hav some effect... If u hav ur pc, router etc inside ur bedroom, try to move it somewhere else...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Discussions should be vibrant and varied. You you start drawing too many lines, you will soon find you have a folder for celeb gossip on ch5 stars, a folder for ch8 stars, a folder for sdp discussions, a folder for sdp news..... see what i mean.

If this forum is meant for us to say " hi morning", "rgs girls liplai"... then you might as well go to EDMW. They are v friendly

I fully agree that each section must have a critical mass which is around 50 to 60 viewers at any one time. The momentum is then built up and new posts appear every minute or less.

If I split the coffee shop into 10 sections, the traffic would fall straight away as it would be too fragmented. That's the reason why I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. As the forum grows, sub divisions may become a necessity as the threads simply come to quickly to keep track of things. In the sex forum, a new thread used to disappear from the first page in minutes in one of the sections. I split the section into two categories and things have improved heaps.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So this section should be dedicated to discuss xiaxue and her adventures?

Well, that is just my opinion and i do believe the forumers here are not that shallow and childish as that you have described. They are adults who wants to share what they met and go through in their own life.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I know all the other clone delphi sammyboy forums are madly copying and pasting articles in order to jump start their forums but I would prefer less of these news articles and more genuine interaction. I don't need threads to be started just to make the forum busy. I plan stuff for the long haul. No other forum host has the same staying power I have!

That's because I don't have a day job. I therefore have loads of time on my hands.:biggrin:

7 years hence, any decision?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree, but I may not be "qualified" enough to comment on this as I am just an ordinary user of this forum.

For me, before clicking on this forum, I would have read or browse through today's news from CNN, BBC, CNA, Stomp, etc.

Sometimes, it's pretty irritating to see a replica of those articles here and see lots of innate comments which are of no readability value.

I may be bias, but the above is my view.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Forummer ask question, 10 years still on time.

That "Dafug" was an exclamation on the number of votes whom wanted a new section for "copy&paste-articles" in relation to the number of years in limbo. We could wait for another 5 years for Sam to make the decision.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree, but I may not be "qualified" enough to comment on this as I am just an ordinary user of this forum.

For me, before clicking on this forum, I would have read or browse through today's news from CNN, BBC, CNA, Stomp, etc.

Sometimes, it's pretty irritating to see a replica of those articles here and see lots of innate comments which are of no readability value.

I may be bias, but the above is my view.

I come to this forum to read just that! The news of interests from CNN, BBC, CNA, Stomp etc. This is a one-stop centre to read those news specially selected for SammyBoy forumers. I don't need to go through each of those sites to read and some sites like CNN is slow. Reading those news threads is a good past time.

Those non-copy-and-paste news thread are boring. For example, leetahbah's thread, he is always babbling about something or krafty's one or two liner threads.