• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Void your vote

peterpan777

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone thinking of voiding your vote if they don't agreed with PAP and also don't think opposition candidate is capable to represent them?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone thinking of voiding your vote if they don't agreed with PAP and also don't think opposition candidate is capable to represent them?

I did that about 20 years ago. Can't recall which opposition party. Given the chance to turn back the clock, just vote opposition even if it is GMS and other clowns contesting. Even if mad man or convicted criminals, vote them to register yor protest against the MIW. I will even vote anything non-living as long as against MIW.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Interesting question. I've never voted all my life. Never seen a ballot paper before. If B-TP is contested this time by CST, I'll vote CST. If contested by SDP, I'll vote PAP. I'm not going spoil my first vote.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Void your vote is like throwing your life into the dustbin, an act of selfishness, think about your future underlings please.....

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Void your vote is like throwing your life into the dustbin, an act of selfishness, think about your future underlings please.....

Agree. Those void the vote meaning that they dont dare to make decision always hidding behind.
Please vote just 2 box only so hard o make decision to cross?

kefir

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vote for the opposition other than PAP! No more fake mandate and let them screw us hard for 5 more years with reckless influx of FTs, upping the GST to 10% and housing woes!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That was what I did, when I was much younger, when between the 'devil' & the 'deep blue sea'....none got any!:p

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

To answer that question, you need to ask what does your vote means to you.

(1) If it is a means to attack the PAP, then you will use it to vote against the PAP no matter if you are electing someone severely physically ill, a thief or just plain inferior to the PAP candidate. Perhaps 70% of the readers here.

(2) If it is a means to vote in a responsible, capable and honest government and if neither of the political parties can fulfill such a criteria (in your opinion), then it is your responsibility to void the vote. Not to do so will mean electing an irresponsible or incapable or dishonest representative. For example, dishonest representatives should never lead a honest government.

(3) you feel that candidate A is better than candidate B, then you should not void your vote.

Only in (2) and (3) will you take an active, thinking and responsible position as a voter.

As for anyone revealing his voting pattern, that makes a mockery of 'your vote is secret' maxim.

In summary, a spoilt vote implies that both the ruling and opposition parties are not good enough. Too many spoilt votes and you will know that the country does not have good leaders.

peterpan777

Alfrescian
Loyal
In summary, a spoilt vote implies that both the ruling and opposition parties are not good enough. Too many spoilt votes and you will know that the country does not have good leaders.

This is exactly the point.

Vote PAP, PAP think that people agreed with their policy. Is this wat you want?

Vote opposition, Opposition may think that people support him. Worst still, if the candidate is not what you want, he/she may still coming back. Not chance for better choice opposition. It is partially the reason why there are so many opposition parties.

If the opposition/candidate is no good, kill it otherwise opposition will never growth.
HEnce, 3 corner fight is good, to kill the poor opposition candidate that they think they are so wonderful.

If there are too many spoilt votes, message to PAP, people are not happy with them.

Message to opposition, we want quality opposition.

Getting people t void the vote to PAP may also help the opposition rather than giving PAP the vote.

Why voter want to restrict to only 2 choices?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why waste time and paper? Might as well implement voting is not compulsory as in many other countries. Then measure public confidence in government and opposition by voter turnout.

peterpan777

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why waste time and paper? Might as well implement voting is not compulsory as in many other countries. Then measure public confidence in government and opposition by voter turnout.

CSJ can't make it to the election because he don;t know to play within the rules.
Therefore, you are just like him.

By the way, you think elected president a wast of time? By PAP like to do it? So what you want?
Also, people eat and shit, eat and shit, .....? Don't you think it is also a waste of time?

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Void Your Vote is a Kamikaze ploy frequently employed by supporters of the ruling party. They could go as far as campaigning for voiding your votes to create a sense of expectation first. When it comes to actual vote counting, the election officers who are mainly ruling party supporters could nick-pick on the opposition votes... eg. if you don't cross properly it becomes void, etc. Remember the Bush vs Al-Gore days and the infamous "dimpled chad".

It is worth voting for opposition even just to bring down the national average rate of support for PAP. If the candidate is that bad, he has no chance of getting into Parliment anyway, so what is there to worry?

Don't forget the chicken and egg question. If you choose to void your vote rather than support the opposition cause, then why should any talented opposition want to put his entire career and lifelihood at stake, to get the cynical response from you?

Given that almost all seats are contested, you can expect the nation wide % of PAP votes to increase. Your vote is precious... don't void it.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
spoil the vote all you want, next time no opposition come to your ward, and you don't like pap polocies, you deserve it,,,,,,,

spoil your votes,,,,,,,,,, go ahead,,,,,,,,

you are just another singaporean for now

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is exactly the point.

Vote PAP, PAP think that people agreed with their policy. Is this wat you want?

Vote opposition, Opposition may think that people support him. Worst still, if the candidate is not what you want, he/she may still coming back. Not chance for better choice opposition. It is partially the reason why there are so many opposition parties.

If the opposition/candidate is no good, kill it otherwise opposition will never growth.
HEnce, 3 corner fight is good, to kill the poor opposition candidate that they think they are so wonderful.

If there are too many spoilt votes, message to PAP, people are not happy with them.

Message to opposition, we want quality opposition.

Getting people t void the vote to PAP may also help the opposition rather than giving PAP the vote.

Why voter want to restrict to only 2 choices?

I think i see your point. You are using the vote as an instrument of political change. There are some here who argue on that basis. For me the greatest weakness in such an argument is that you may well end up with oppositions who are even more exploitative or equal the PAP in that regard (that is, if your initial argument is that the PAP is exploitative).

If the oppositions are voted just because they are oppositions, then you cannot predict the impact they will have on the PAP or our future. The horse trading may grow to a larger scale and the few may gang up on the voters to do a wayang show.

There is also no need to use your vote for political change because Singapore is no longer a one-party state. Singapore has the decades-long presence of two secretary-generals of highly regarded political parties in Parliament. Also the opposition MP, Mr Low of the Worker Party has been in 12 Select Committees including those of Land Titles Bill, Advance Medical Directive, Healthcare subsidies which means he has some influence on the direction of government policies. Thus there had been ample scope for the leading oppositions to show their capabilities.

Note also that after the coming election, the number of opposition voices will increase. This is further evidence of the diversity in Singapore politics to further supplement the thriving decades-long oppositions.

Thus my point is: vote for the one who is better in doing the job and if none can do it, spoil your vote. Let the political change take care of itself.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
In any case, I believe this coming election will see the growth of the Workers Party as the dominant opposition party. Half a dozen of united opposition voices all belonging to the Workers Party may well lead the path to increased dominance over the rest of the opposition in the next 5 years - in terms of visibility, presence.

If the Workers Party can gain such a foothold through careful positioning in the constituencies, then this may signal the start of a two-party system.

Therefore, Peter Pan, there is no need to finetune your voting rights. All the politicians know how to take care of themselves and their strategic positionings - against each other and winning the minds of the voters. The better politicians will win a place for themselves in Parliament and possibly a $500,000 contract.

At our end, we just need to vote for the better man. If there are none, then spoil the vote.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't ever void yr vote. Vote for any other Opposition party in yr ward. Leave it to others to vote the PAP.

cashman999

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did that about 20 years ago. Can't recall which opposition party. Given the chance to turn back the clock, just vote opposition even if it is GMS and other clowns contesting. Even if mad man or convicted criminals, vote them to register yor protest against the MIW. I will even vote anything non-living as long as against MIW.

good thing u realised your folly - i always berate my frens who tell me they void their votes simply just becos they couldnt accept jokers to run their estates, but at the same time hating pap to the core. absolute terrible waste and achieving nothing. i always believe more votes for these jokers will entice the real talented ones to come out from slumber and ultimately come to replace these jokers. we really need to give the opposition some bite. pap with all its selfish policies will ruin the future for our kids.

cashman999

Alfrescian
Loyal
In any case, I believe this coming election will see the growth of the Workers Party as the dominant opposition party. Half a dozen of united opposition voices all belonging to the Workers Party may well lead the path to increased dominance over the rest of the opposition in the next 5 years - in terms of visibility, presence.

If the Workers Party can gain such a foothold through careful positioning in the constituencies, then this may signal the start of a two-party system.

Therefore, Peter Pan, there is no need to finetune your voting rights. All the politicians know how to take care of themselves and their strategic positionings - against each other and winning the minds of the voters. The better politicians will win a place for themselves in Parliament and possibly a $500,000 contract.

At our end, we just need to vote for the better man. If there are none, then spoil the vote.

I absolutely disagree with your argument. Your points are noted but they work in an absolute fair system. Unfortunately we dun have it here. Hence to spoil vote is as good as saying u are a dumwit with no ideas of your own, and not willing to step out to contribute. a better man means a comparison of the 2, and pick one. sorry if i sound harsh - but seriously people like you ought to be stripped of your voting rights. there are so many people here who haven got a freaking chance of their lives to participate in a vote.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I absolutely disagree with your argument. Your points are noted but they work in an absolute fair system. Unfortunately we dun have it here. Hence to spoil vote is as good as saying u are a dumwit with no ideas of your own, and not willing to step out to contribute. a better man means a comparison of the 2, and pick one. sorry if i sound harsh - but seriously people like you ought to be stripped of your voting rights. there are so many people here who haven got a freaking chance of their lives to participate in a vote.

I would say thank goodness I am living in a democracy.

I gather you are a member of the opposition or an opposition supporter. With ethics like yours, it is very dangerous to vote for the opposition.

As you so amply shown.