• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

National Family Council 'Funeral' ad a ripoff?

Defennder

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/...ys-funeral-ad-rip-off-from-good-will-hunting/

When I first watched ‘Funeral’, a three minute ad by the National Family Council on an Indian woman lamenting the absence of insignificant acts normally considered irritating by her late husband I felt it was rather touching. However, after reading some stuff off the web, I realised some users were claiming that the ad was basically a rip-off from a scene in 1997 film Good Will Hunting.

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
i find it tasteless.

esp when the indian woman mimick her so called husband 's snoring....it sounded like she was clearing her bloody throat, so disgusting

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/...ys-funeral-ad-rip-off-from-good-will-hunting/

When I first watched ‘Funeral’, a three minute ad by the National Family Council on an Indian woman lamenting the absence of insignificant acts normally considered irritating by her late husband I felt it was rather touching. However, after reading some stuff off the web, I realised some users were claiming that the ad was basically a rip-off from a scene in 1997 film Good Will Hunting.

I think the person who wrote this should check if there's a dildo stuck to his ass.

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why they casted an Indian wife for a Chinese husband. Encouraging inter racial marriage?

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yet another who can't or won't be bothered to read or watch before commenting.

Are you the blogger himself? Of course I read and saw the video clip of good will hunting. The case for plagiarism is so slight that only an anal retentive person will write such a sanctimonious blog entry berating the lack of originality and honesty.

I myself have said many times, it is the many little idiosnycracies and faults that endear lovers to one another, so what?! This is not like wisdom hidden in Mount Zion, away from the masses.

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. Indeed I never paid any attention to the race of the late husband until you mentioned it.

Right at the beginning they already said "Mrs Lee, do you have anything to say?" Later on, the they show the deceased picture and it is clearly a chinese guy.

Anyway, the casting is not very accurate. Usually it is Chinese woman married to a Indian man. Or they could have an SPG Mrs Smith or a Madam Nguyen

Defennder

Alfrescian
Loyal
SneeringTree said:
Are you the blogger himself? Of course I read and saw the video clip of good will hunting. The case for plagiarism is so slight that only an anal retentive person will write such a sanctimonious blog entry berating the lack of originality and honesty.
Right, it's an epic coincidence that both characters were talking about their partners' <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">snoring</span> farting awaking their pet dog and themselves and these after their deaths.

And yeah I wasn't aware there was a stringent list of criteria a blog post must pass before someone may write a blog entry on something he/she may be interested in and wish to share. Thanks for informing.

SneeringTree said:
I myself have said many times, it is the many little idiosnycracies and faults that endear lovers to one another, so what?! This is not like wisdom hidden in Mount Zion, away from the masses.
You are confusing the message with the origin of the ad. My only contention is that if they had based their ad on an already existing clip they would be intellectually dishonest not to acknowledge that. This says nothing of the underlying message the ad was supposed to convey. I am not disputing the message.

makapaaa said:
The ad cost a cool $1.25M, right?
No idea. Seriously I don't really care how much it cost. That was never the problem I had. I wonder if that number has any other significance.

cocobobo said:
it was by yasmin wasn't it? the same lady who produced/directed all those touching petronas ads
You're right. I just checked and she has a blog here:
http://yasminthefilmmaker.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Thanks to SneeringTree who spotted the error. Both clips talk about farting waking themselves and the pet dog up.

Last edited:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
One's on snoring, another is on farting! There is way more disimilarities in both clips than similarity.

And I am just curious when I asked if you are the blogger himself, no need to get so defensive.

Now, if you want to say that the National Day ad is similar to the Japanese one is a case of plagiarism, I would agree, because the idea is an exceptional one.

In this case, you are stretching reason by claiming that anyone who talks about their partner sleep patterns or remember the little imperfections of their spouse is ripping off some other people's thoughts. Honestly, the ad develops the idea of spousal sleep pattern much better than Good Will Hunting.

Defennder

Alfrescian
Loyal
One's on snoring, another is on farting! There is way more disimilarities in both clips than similarity.
My mistake. Both clips talk about farting; the ThinkFamily ad involved snoring as well. Thanks for pointing out.

In this case, you are stretching reason by claiming that anyone who talks about their partner sleep patterns or remember the little imperfections of their spouse is ripping off some other people's thoughts. Honestly, the ad develops the idea of spousal sleep pattern much better than Good Will Hunting.
Again you misread my post. I should admit that I didn't spot this at first, but now that I'm aware that others have pointed it out it seems hard to shake off that thought. So of course there's some cognitive bias at work here.

Yes people do talk about imperfections of their spouse. So? When people talk about it in real life, they can't possibly be making it up, chances are that they experienced it personally unless they're hard-core liars. But the point is this is an ad, and none of it is real. But seriously how much of a coincidence is it when both talk about waking themselves up through their own farting and both involved pet dogs, only to be nudged back to sleep? And of course the ad develops this idea much better than the film (of which one small scene was devoted to that out of a larger plot). It's a ad designed to that effect. So what did you expect?

Anyway I am open to suggestions that it's really nothing more than a coincidence. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. Which was why I started this thread for some feedback.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is the general trend isn't it - the gahmen through the national programs are subtly promoting the mixing of races & cultures - along the general tune of welcoming and integrating the FTs.

First you have funeral of Indian + Chinese family, for the Speak Chinese campaign, they have ang mohs promoting the use of Chinese...whats next? Pinoys teaching us to wash hands or PRCs telling us to be courteous?:p

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course there is a case to question the originality of the advertisement.

The similarities are too damning!
Farting in sleep
Dog involved
Going back to sleep
Mention of the word imperfections

The inclusion of snoring and shots of on-lookers does not diminish these facts. Fartingwhile sleeping does happen but to the point where it wakes the person up is pure fiction. This is not to say that different can't have the same ideas but the similarities are too consistent across the board.

To ignore that plagiarism could be at play is to encourage future advertisements around the same theme. Or to encourage other works that similarly copy ideas from others without consent. Of course there may have been consent in this case.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
My mistake. Both clips talk about farting; the ThinkFamily ad involved snoring as well. Thanks for pointing out.

Again you misread my post. I should admit that I didn't spot this at first, but now that I'm aware that others have pointed it out it seems hard to shake off that thought. So of course there's some cognitive bias at work here.

Yes people do talk about imperfections of their spouse. So? When people talk about it in real life, they can't possibly be making it up, chances are that they experienced it personally unless they're hard-core liars. But the point is this is an ad, and none of it is real. But seriously how much of a coincidence is it when both talk about waking themselves up through their own farting and both involved pet dogs, only to be nudged back to sleep? And of course the ad develops this idea much better than the film (of which one small scene was devoted to that out of a larger plot). It's a ad designed to that effect. So what did you expect?

Anyway I am open to suggestions that it's really nothing more than a coincidence. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. Which was why I started this thread for some feedback.

If you read the director's blog, she did reveal that her husband snores exactly like how the Indian actress renacted in the ad. So maybe it is drawn from her own experience? And really, the part about the beauty of imperfection is so cliched, I am surprised anyone thought it could have been ripped from Good Will Hunting (as though Good Will Hunting was the first time anyone thought of this idea).