• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Renting out brand new HDB flat. Can or not ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a couple bought a new HDB flat with all the subsidies from government thrown in, can they immediately rent out the entire HDB flat because they are going overseas to study ?

Or if they declare both going overseas, but in reality one stay back and stay with parent, then rent out the HDB flat, is it lawful ?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If a couple bought a new HDB flat with all the subsidies from government thrown in, can they immediately rent out the entire HDB flat because they are going overseas to study ?

Or if they declare both going overseas, but in reality one stay back and stay with parent, then rent out the HDB flat, is it lawful ?

Not lawful. We grassroots leaders are on the lookout for sinkies who buy brand new BTO and then immediately rent out illegally for some quick cash. Tell us the address quick!

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many are doing it. No problem. Just keep a low profile and, most important, do not get caught.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If got hdb approval is lawful.
Of course if approval is obtain via fraud then it's illegal la.
And period of rental will not count towards minimum occupation period of 5 years.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
If got hdb approval is lawful.
Of course if approval is obtain via fraud then it's illegal la.
And period of rental will not count towards minimum occupation period of 5 years.

With HDB approval, surely. But I guess on the pretext of husband and wife both leaving for overseas. But in the end, only one left, and the other one stays with parents. Which is why I am not sure if it's lawful. I don't think HDB so blur, right? If not, everyone will adopt the same formula.

Wonder what's the penalty like if it's unlawful. It borders on fraud, I feel. It's a brand new BTO flat, so if the one who stays back in Singapore is also a co-owner of the flat, then there is no reason for HDB to approve the rental if they know about it.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not lawful. We grassroots leaders are on the lookout for sinkies who buy brand new BTO and then immediately rent out illegally for some quick cash. Tell us the address quick!

That means you are not doing your job lah. KNN, so rampant in Singapore.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With HDB approval, surely. But I guess on the pretext of husband and wife both leaving for overseas. But in the end, only one left, and the other one stays with parents. Which is why I am not sure if it's lawful. I don't think HDB so blur, right? If not, everyone will adopt the same formula.

Wonder what's the penalty like if it's unlawful. It borders on fraud, I feel. It's a brand new BTO flat, so if the one who stays back in Singapore is also a co-owner of the flat, then there is no reason for HDB to approve the rental if they know about it.

There's 101 legit reasons to get approval need only go overseas.
Some reasons are company provide accommodations, living with old parents, disabled kin etc etc

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
U can check HDB website...
I Hank u for what???

Yeah, I was going through.

It seems that foremost one must satisfy the minimum occupation period of 5 years if it's a new HDB flat bought directly from HDB. There doesn't seem to be any exceptions, as in this case, couple immediately leaving for overseas studies.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
4 Ways to Get Your HDB Flat “Confiscated

1. Illegal Subletting / Renting Out of Flats
There is a three or five year Minimum Occupancy Period (MOP) before you can sublet.

The MOP is three years if you bought the flat without subsidies i.e. from the open market, without the use of the CPF Housing Grant. Otherwise, it’s five years. Until then, you’re not supposed to sublet / rent out your flat – even through sites like Airbnb.

The record breaker for this one was in 2010. A real estate agent, Mr. Poh Boon Kay, had three flats repossessed by HDB. He’d rented them out before the MOP. One was even used as a meditation center by monks from Myanmar (which is not impressive. Given the size of flats, it’s impressive that anyone could live in them without being meditative monks).

Poh’s defence was to claim ignorance of the rules, which may have worked for anyone who, you know, isn’t a real estate agent.

But even if he wasn’t, don’t count on proclaimed ignorance as a defence. That’s the kind of gamble that can end in a permanent void deck vacation.

2. Buying Private Property Before the MOP
There are rules about when a HDB flat owner can buy private property. You’re supposed to stay for the duration of the MOP before buying a condo, bungalow, etc.

Singapore Permanent Residents (PRs) have to sell their HDB flat within six months of buying private property.

In 2011 there was a huge kerfuffle over this – a family who were affected by the Selective En-Bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS) were supposed to get a replacement flat. But in the process of filling in forms, they indicated they’d purchased private property in Malaysia.

(Before you judge, note that the husband in the family is Malaysian)

They ended up with no flat, and $192,000. Check it out here.

3. Renting Out to Illegal Immigrants
I personally know something who got busted for this.

My buddy Alex (not his real name) got into serious trouble in ’02, when his tenant turned out to be an overstayer. He face the very real prospect of losing his flat.

“I assumed that the property agent would check, which in hindsight was negligent of me,” he says, “So neither of us know the tenant was an overstayer. And according to the agent, she did ask to see the tenant’s papers; but later we found out all she (the agent) did was photocopy the tenant’s documents and skim through them.”

Alex didn’t lose his flat. But till today, if you yell “ICA” next to him he turns so white he can pass for that snowman in Frozen.

When you’re renting out, you need to verify the tenant’s identity yourself. Find the instructions here. Note that, while your property agent will also be penalized, it doesn’t absolve you of blame.

4. Just Don’t Pay
Public housing is far less charitable than you’d imagine. And this really comes down to an issue of home loans:

In theory, a HDB concessionary loan gives you more leeway if you can’t make loan repayments. The government might let you pay a little bit late, or work out an alternative repayment scheme. It helps them look merciful, even as they sip from their thermos of poor people’s tears.

But that leeway has a limit. Ultimately, HDB can still repossess the flat. You may also be encouraged to sell your flat and downgrade, if it seems your family can manage in a smaller home (The technical term for that should totally be “moving into a no room flat”.)

Banks give you a lot less leeway. Fail to pay, and they won’t hesitate to repossess your flat. So while bank loans may be cheaper – and have been for a long time – they remain the privilege of the financially stable.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, I was going through.

It seems that foremost one must satisfy the minimum occupation period of 5 years if it's a new HDB flat bought directly from HDB. There doesn't seem to be any exceptions, as in this case, couple immediately leaving for overseas studies.

If someone report u.
U can say bye bye to your flat or face a fine double the value of your flat.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
If someone report u.
U can say bye bye to your flat or face a fine double the value of your flat.

It's not me. It's someone I know.

He was bullshitting about obtaining approval from HDB on the pretext that both husband and wife would be leaving. But the flat was barely 6 months old, and the best part is only one party left and the other decided to stay with parents.

But even without going that far, I could see that HDB was pretty strict about the 5-year minimum occupation period, not making any exceptions.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

He was bullshitting about obtaining approval from HDB on the pretext that both husband and wife would be leaving. But the flat was barely 6 months old, and the best part is only one party left and the other decided to stay with parents.

But even without going that far, I could see that HDB was pretty strict about the 5-year minimum occupation period, not making any exceptions.

So it true your flat maybe confiscated.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tell your friends to come surf sbf.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it true your flat maybe confiscated.

Not my flat. I rent out I have no place to stay.

I am wondering if there is any truth in HDB granting approval for whole NEW flat being rented out just because owners will be leaving for overseas for a few years. Doesn't make sense to me.