• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat No help for Aisyah?

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anybody know why she is not getting financial support from the Singapore National Sports Council or any local sporting bodies? Or is it a case of if she wins we will embrace her? Rather sad that an foreign fast food chain has to step in - oh wait....could this be yet another instance of foreign meddling in local matters then? Hmmmm....I wonder if she will be part of the official delegation then?

Aisyah gets helping hand for Rio Games

National rower gets S$6,000 cash sponsorship from 4 Fingers

BY
NOAH TAN
[email protected]ISHED: 4:00 AM, JUNE 10, 2016

SINGAPORE — The road to Rio has been a long and gruelling one for national rower Saiyidah Aisyah Mohamed Rafa’ee (picture), who saw all of her savings wiped out during her qualification campaign. The 28-year-old had to resort to crowdfunding in February to raise money for her training stint in Australia, with the effort reaping a total of S$12,500.

But Aisyah’s financial woes have now ended, with fast food chain 4 Fingers Crispy Chicken coming on board with a S$6,000 cash sponsorship. The three-month deal will see Aisyah receive S$2,000 every month from now till the August Olympics. In addition, 4 Fingers will also direct S$2 from every sale of their “X.B.F.F burger” to Aisyah’s training funds. They hope to sell at least 2,400 X.B.F.F burgers over the next three months, which will reap an additional S$4,000 in sponsorship.

Steen Puggaard, CEO of 4 Fingers, said the company identified with the dedication and spirit that the rower had shown to qualify for Rio.

“Rowing is not a mainstream sport in Singapore. It is small and it is very underfunded. In spite of this, Aisyah has fought some very unfavourable odds and never given up on her dream,” said Puggaard, who is an avid rower.

“In supporting Aisyah, we saw a way for our small company to make a difference to someone with big dreams who truly deserves it.”

Aisyah’s 10-month-long qualifying campaign finally reaped rewards at the Asia and Oceania Olympic qualification regatta in South Korea, where she won the B Final race to finish seventh overall in the women’s 2,000m single sculls and become the first Singaporean rower to qualify for the Olympics.

She is also eligible for funds from Sport Singapore under the Race to Rio financial assistance programme, on top of a monthly payout that she has been receiving since April under the spexScholarship scheme.

Aisyah, who left Singapore for a month-long training camp in London last night, expressed relief, and gratitude, to 4 Fingers for their “unconditional” support.

“This (sponsorship) will ease the financial burden that I accumulated from the past when I was still trying to qualify for the Olympics,” said the rower, who quit her job as a student development officer at Ngee Ann Polytechnic to train full-time.

“With this deal, it gives me an opportunity to replenish my savings, and it will also help to cover any miscellaneous expenses I may incur over the next few months. This provides me with the ease of mind to fully focus on training.”

The support from 4 Fingers is also set to deliver an extra boost for Aisyah as she targets a top-24 finish in the women’s 2,000m single sculls in Brazil.

“I want to improve my ranking among my Asian competitors, so the goal that I’ve set is to make it to the D Final,” added Aisyah. “This is where all the Asian competitors will usually place in, and will be used to determine the top 19 to 24 rowers.”

http://m.todayonline.com/sports/aisyah-gets-helping-hand-rio-games

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
She got the wrong name and father. If her dad was Ng Ser Miang, even her arse will be plated gold. Can you imagine having qualified for the Olympics and she cannot even get $10 fucking bucks from SNOC. How many Singaporeans have qualified for Olympics who are actually born Singaporeans who grew up here since birth.

Embrassing when an Ang Mo FT has to sponsor her. And a fucked up reporter as well - the question in everyone's mind is why she is not getting any funding from the authorities. Make a fucking phone call to SNOC must cause issues with SPH budget.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Contrast this with the amount of monies they spent on bringing in foreigners to play badminton, ping-pong, athletics ect2.

Millions spent on scholarships for unknown students from China, India, and who knows where but locals have to struggle. for funding.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
She got the wrong name and father. If her dad was Ng Ser Miang, even her arse will be plated gold. Can you imagine having qualified for the Olympics and she cannot even get $10 fucking bucks from SNOC. How many Singaporeans have qualified for Olympics who are actually born Singaporeans who grew up here since birth.

Embrassing when an Ang Mo FT has to sponsor her. And a fucked up reporter as well - the question in everyone's mind is why she is not getting any funding from the authorities. Make a fucking phone call to SNOC must cause issues with SPH budget.

Truly maddening as not many would bother with this kind of sacrifice - the truth is hard to ignore - I do wish her well and hope she makes it big. This kind of dedication and focus is to be applauded. Another shade of Singapore's unique meritocracy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree and her traits of very unSingaporean as we tend to follow the path laid for us. I don't how she managed to arrange training in the UK and Australia.

When Ser Miang daughter took up sailing, I used to see him at the National Sailing Club. All the officials were on constant stand-by.

Truly maddening as not many would bother with this kind of sacrifice - the truth is hard to ignore - I do wish her well and hope she makes it big. This kind of dedication and focus is to be applauded. Another shade of Singapore's unique meritocracy.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the past few weeks, I been seeing groups of young people shoving tin cans in front of passerbys asking for donations.

Can't really see the words on the tims but these people were wearing polo t-shirts with words of para-Olympic at their back.

I was wondering is the PAP really serious about an inclusive nation whereby normal YOG they can spurged $300+ millions (ok. Their budget is about one-third only, I know)., yet these para-Olympic need donations?

Anyway, I do not know why and for what the donations are for.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It's a waste of time and money she won't even get past the heats.

There's no point sending someone just to make up the numbers.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pls sinkies need to stop begging and asking for donations and wasting precious government resources.

first of all we all know sinkies lack the talent or ability to excel in any sport or intellectual activity on a global level due to their inferior coolie genes,if africa,a country where 98 percent of the kunte kinte population exist on peanuts and dirt and african fufu can produce so many world champions and olympic sprinters and soccer superstars and boxing champions,why cant singapore?with a gdp bigger than south africa,clearly its not the money that matters.sinkies simply cmi.

3.5 million sinkies on this island playing soccer day and night,masturbating about soccer day and night and yet we cant even get a single team into the FIFA qualifiers.even our local billionaire peter lim have so little faith in our local soccer teams,he would rather spend 750 million on some 3rd rate italian soft dough deep dish pepperoni pizza football team than to share the love with sinkies and invest one million into a sinkie football team throwaway deep discount walmart discount bin alongside with all the other rejected loser batman and robin toys and magic school bus DVDs that nobody wants to play with.

2ndly why cant sinkies choose a richer and more popular sport than some faggy sport like rowing?why cant they pick up golfing like tiger woods or formula one racing like michael schumaker?is it because most sinkies are peasants that cant afford golf membership or fast cars?or boxing like manny pacqiao where u get paid 100 mil for a punch fiesta?instead sinkies choose some faggy sports like bowling and rowing that nobody gives a shit about even if u get gold in it.every year USA and China go on a medal collecting spree.if u got gold in rowing,ur name will be at the bottom of the list with 130 names in front of you.worst still u have to beg for sponsorship from some fried chicken franchise at the bottom of a shopping mall basement food court.and let me tell u this,4 fingers suck,arnolds fried chicken is way way better.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who is that idiot from the PAP who promised Olympic gold in what year? Need to give him a smack to pay up for not fulfilling his promise.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
So much for fake calls to nurture local sports talents. No doubt her mp will chide her for not working when turned to for help. Maybe she should approach alice fong to bake daily cake or bread for her.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a waste of time and money she won't even get past the heats.

There's no point sending someone just to make up the numbers.

she may get knocked up at rio, get the zika virus, and return to sg pregnant with baby suffering from microcephaly. 3 in 1 jackpot.