• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My View as a Foreigner woriking in Singapore.

FTalent

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a foreigner working in Singapore for the last 5+ years. I am from Shanghai, China, studied in States and worked in London. I moved to Singapore post my 1 year London stint.*I worked for a foreign bank in Singapore. My Singapore boss is a nice man who has taken care of us very well.

However, my observation is that the Foreign T alent (FT) issue (as most locals called it) has snowballed into something that the ruling Peoples Action Party cannot control anymore.

Personally, I am worried about this backlash as it is making me think twice about applying for Permanent Residence (PR) in this beautiful country which I set my foot on 5 years ago. I like Singapore. Its a safe country and efficiently managed. Aside from minor problems here and there (eg. difficulty to get peak hour taxi), the overall experience is good, especially for a single female like me who prefers working in a safer city rather than Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Shanghai or even a very cramped and polluted Hong Kong.

On the FT issue, I am not sure that the Peoples Action Party has really picked up the "ground swell"against it's relaxed views on immigration. I don't think Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is listening to the push back from its citizens. Also his continued harping on integration of FT's is becoming an irritant rather than a solution to the problem.*My view is that - to then add insult to "injury" by calling the local views 'xenophobic' - it seems to have pushed the issue even further into a possible opposition camp rallying point in the next few years.

The above may be my simple view as I may not understand the complexities of the political system here.*

A local male colleague introduced this forum to me. In my free time (aside from the fabulous shopping that Singapore has to offer), I have read lots of threads and posts in this Sammyboy Forum as a guest for the last 6 months or so. I am actually quite shocked by the anti foreigner sentiments here in this forum and has somewhat weakened my decision to apply for PR.

I must clarify that I do not have any problems with Singaporeans. Generally, they are very nice (except maybe for the Singlish which I have through the years adapted to them - like the "lahs" and the using of tissue paper to "chop" seats in food courts!). In fact, when I go for my home leave back to Shanghai now, I will feel strange for the first few days (though I grew up in Shanghai near the Xin Tian Di area).

I don't support any political parties in Singapore. To me, politics is not my cup of tea. However, during the Singapore elections in 2010, some of my local friends were very buzzed- up and I even followed one of my male colleague who invited me to a rally in Serangoon. It was quite an experience seeing a very very energised crowd. My only impression was the Singapore national pledge at the end of the rally which I could feel the immense nationalism amongst the people in the stadium - which I rarely feel during the non-election time.

I know some of you want to know my views about the recent China bus drivers' strike. To me, I have seen strikes in China, States and London. So I am not really interested but some of my local office colleages did ask me how I feel towards those drivers. Honestly, I don't give a damn. There are one billion people in China and I suspect these drivers are mostly from rural or smaller cities with not much education, hence they are easily influenced by others.

The above is just an independent perspective from me. Hopes you guys and gals here do not take offence.

Jane

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome! Welcome! To the land of idiots big and small. Based on your post, you'll fit right in! Hope you will join the RCs where you can help "take care" of the "people without much education."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS

Please continue to contribute.

How did a country that has been cosmopolitan for more than a century become so distressed over the recent immigration policy? It is not just the Chinese, the local Indians, Malays and Eurasians have the same concerns. You should ask the local Singapore Indian what they they think of recent Indian arrivals. It will be an eye opener. Local Chinese call PRC Chinese like yourself "Ah Tiongs" and it is not a compliment.

So how did we get into this situation?

HappyCAMPER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreign Talent is not even a recognized MOM term...I'm flabbergasted nearly everyone is using FT as a term to describe what essentially is a Foreign Worker, as termed by MOM in its manpower laws.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Greetings from the resident redneck.

If you were asking whether you should take up PR, my advice is to consider your decision based on a long term perspective with respect to your career and personal life. Does Singapore have the opportunities for you to develop your career and offer reasonable alternatives should you falter? Do you mean to start a family with someone based permanently here? Perhaps you enjoy the lifestyle here and wish to settle in more permanently? If the answers to the above are yes, you might wish to consider applying for PR.

However if you foresee yourself jetting around the globe, possibly getting roles elsewhere in the region for extended periods of time, please do not. Come back and apply for the PEP again, and if you are eligible under the criteria you should not be denied the pass. This is in contrast to a PR who may be denied entry or right to work in Singapore after leaving the country for an extended period of time. You can save yourself a great deal of pain with the ICA.

If I were you, I wouldn't give a damn whether the natives like me or not. The decision to take up PR is ultimately a self interested one. I am confident to say you do not have to be worried about being lynched in the streets due to xenophobic sentiments.

Aside from your rather objectionable nick, I welcome your contributions to the forum. It would be interesting to see from a different perspective from time to time.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
On the FT issue, I am not sure that the Peoples Action Party has really picked up the "ground swell"against it's relaxed views on immigration. I don't think Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is listening to the push back from its citizens. Also his continued harping on integration of FT's is becoming an irritant rather than a solution to the problem.*My view is that - to then add insult to "injury" by calling the local views 'xenophobic'

Up you !.......

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jane, you can make lots of dough here but don't plan on putting down your roots unless you are multi-millionaire. It is not a life you want to have if you don't have the dough in sinkapore.

Sinkees are frustrated that the PAP government is ignoring the issue of the influx of foreigners is contributing to a host of problems such as expensive government housing, sinkees are being forced out of jobs in favor of cheaper foreigners, strained transit system etc. When 40 percent of the population are foreigners and the economic prospect of the locals is dim, a rise of resentment against the 'invaders' is typical.

Enjoy your stay in sinkapore and if you make millions, you can then consider making this island your permanent home. But you may want to look at other places that give you more bang for your bucks and life is more than just the pursuit of materialism.

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foreign Talent is not even a recognized MOM term...I'm flabbergasted nearly everyone is using FT as a term to describe what essentially is a Foreign Worker, as termed by MOM in its manpower laws.
The original term of F Talent was coined for those sporting talents recruited from abroad as a scheme to boost SG competitiveness in sports.

FT is now loosely applied to everyone not a Sinkee, by definition of this forum. Foreign Trash is usually spoken of in a derogatory manner by many here when they compare their own inadequacies to these newcomers.

Case in point includes the domestic maid. When these so called Singkee can't clean up their own home, they employ foreigners to do it. Some of these FTs even have to carry army backpacks for perfectly healthy male Sinkee specimen in the Army. Same applies to when they cant take care of their parents and leave them in nursing home under the care of foreigners. In general most Sinkee can't work under the hot sun so they get FTs to do for them so they'll have more time on the Internet to whine and bitch.

Whenever something bad happens, it'll be some FT fault.

In short the FT is the ultimate Sinkie bogeyman.

Last edited:

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
why you dun give a damn?

they are poor peasants who just want fair wages and better living conditions.

you are behaving like another indifferent sinkie who has no concerns for the welfare of such unfortunate people.

who gives a rat ass if you want to stay in singapore permanently?

it is already too crowded. you should move to big angmo countries with more freedom and freespace.

Last edited:

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
i call them foreign trash. jane, who is your clone master?

This f*cker who calls people like Jane foreign trash also called me a "moron". Maybe it makes him less trashy or less of a moron. Then he zaps and hands me "infraction" because I called him/her (never knows ....many of the him here are balless) a f*cker for not being original and for reposting from other forums.

This is the armchair keyboard whiner/bitch kind in SBF who blames the FT for all the woes and ills that he perceives in his little world.

I guess I'll be handed more infractions pretty soon by similar imbeciles with gigantic keyboard egos and be rendered silent so ......before that happens, thanks to the kind souls here for upping me. For those zapping me, let me just say that zapping don't improve your sexual performance. Nor does it increase your dick size:smile:

Last edited:

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
this is a real person or a set up - t0 extract info? to bait etc....

Last edited:

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
i call them foreign trash. jane, who is your clone master?
I received an "infraction" from you for:

Reason: Displaying excessive ignorance and/or stupidity

Come on! Let's see some display of intelligent brilliance from yourself! Maybe I, and all the others here can learn from it. I am sure you can come up with something better than calling Jane a Foreign Trash again. I mean, Foreign Trash is so yesterday, right?

How about I calling you FUKI? Meaning F*cking Useless Keyboard Imbecile.

Last edited:

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is a real person or a set up - t0 extract info? to bait etc....

Or planted to provide a human element to FTs in general. Girl somemore.
Whether planted or genuine, time will tell.
Brothers here can smell a clone from miles away.

Jane, please continue to post. It would be interesting to read your point of view.

GOONDUSAMI

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PLEASE APPLY FOR PR.

Singapore needs Foreign Talent like you. Otherwise we will not progress with the local FOOLS who are lazy, whinners and a bunch of maggots who constantly want to destroy the system that our PAP has designed for Singaporeans.

Hand in hand, Heart to heart. Together, we progress graciously as a nation.

Last edited: