• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fujifilm x-pro 1

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fujifilm_x-pro1_still2.jpg

Kipon-M-mount-lens-adapter1.jpg

Fuji-X-Pro1-camera-leneses.jpg

Fujifilm X-Pro1 highlights

The X-Pro1 is the start of an all-new camera system, with a brand new mount and lenses. It's unashamedly targeted at a high-end audience, with analogue control dials and a small set of compact, large-aperture primes to be available at launch. Fujifilm is keen to stress its future commitment to the system, with a promise of two more lenses to appear later in 2012. Key features are:

Fujifilm-designed 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor
Novel colour filter array to suppress colour moiré, no optical low-pass filter
EXR Processor Pro image processor
Dual-magnification hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder
Analogue dials for shutter speed and exposure compensation on top of camera
All-new, fully electronic X lens mount; 17.7mm flange-to-sensor distance
Three 'XF' lenses at launch: XF 18mm F2 R, XF 35mm F1.4 R, and XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Prime lenses have traditional-style aperture rings (1/3 stop increments) and large manual focus rings
Revised rear-panel control layout
On-screen 'Q' control panel and redesigned tabbed menu system
Focal-plane shutter, 1/4000 sec max speed
3.0" RGBW 1.23M dot LCD

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object id="flashObj" width="380" height="503" classid="clsid:biggrin:27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1522823186001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fbeta.techradar.com%2Fvideos%2Ffujifilm-x-pro-1-bright-3lc9p0gY475DF&playerID=1336126333001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAukWyYDk~,FRklaGkzuHjGPZbVYg_94Gm0IZq_biZ3&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1522823186001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fbeta.techradar.com%2Fvideos%2Ffujifilm-x-pro-1-bright-3lc9p0gY475DF&playerID=1336126333001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAukWyYDk~,FRklaGkzuHjGPZbVYg_94Gm0IZq_biZ3&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="380" height="503" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Fuji x pro 1 review

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...gital-slrs-hybrids/fuji-x-pro1-1071113/review

Final verdict

If you are an experienced photographer who's not concerned about having scene modes and ultra-fast autofocusing, there's lots to like about the Fuji X-Pro1.

Setting the exposure via an aperture ring and a shutter speed dial seems to come naturally, and the combination of excellent noise control and fast lenses mean that you can shoot with the sensitivity set to automatic without any serious concerns.

Fuji's Quick menu system is one of the best and fastest to use that we have come across. If it could be made customisable, it would be just about perfect.

The hybrid viewfinder is also excellent, although it doesn't work as well as we might hope when focusing manually.

Most importantly, however, the images from the Fuji X-Pro1 are superb. They may not have quite the detail that some full-frame cameras are capable of capturing, but they can beat these bigger beasts for dynamic range and noise control.

Well done Fuji.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fuji_x_pro1_review.shtml

xpro1-camera_top.jpg

Behold, the X-Pro1

It was also on a grey and forgettable March day that the smug lunk behind the counter at my least-favourite local camera shop condescended to inform me that there never would be, nay, could never, be a digital rangefinder, and that I might as well just get over it. On this gray March morning, almost a decade later, I would have given a dollar or two to see his face at Fuji’s launch of the X-Pro1. Rangefinder cameras might be early 20th century technology, but this is a very 21st century baby.

While Leica has been producing a viable digital RF for several years (trust me, my bank balance hadn’t missed that fact), the X-Pro1 brings interchangeable lens RF photography back to the people. And Fuji has done it in style, both literally and figuratively, with the X-Pro1 sporting at least two ground-breaking new technologies.

While comparisons involving the “L” word are inevitable, it’s only fair to note that Fuji has as much claim to a rangefinder heritage as does the venerable “L”. In the days of film, Fuji made a large line of medium format RF cameras, from compact 645 models up to the “Texas Leica” 690 series. The 690III cameras came in two flavours, wide and wider, and remain amongst my very favourite cameras. In short, Fuji knows RF, and has obvious pride in that legacy. Indeed, how else could one read the “Super EBC” labelling on the lens other than as a nod to the company’s RF past. For the uninitiated, it stands for “Super Electron Beam Coating” – a moniker devised in the days when men walked on the moon and words like “electron” and “beam” conjured up visions of a Jetson-like futurama.

If one goes back far enough, to the early 1970s, Fuji actually made an interchangeable lens 6x9 system, known as the 690BL. All things old are new again.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/.shtml

First Heat, Then Light

Before we get to all that photography silliness, we have to talk about what to call the Fuji X-Pro1. Apparently, this topic is of some concern. In the first part of this review, I made undifferentiated reference to the camera as a "rangefinder". The Guardians of the League of Rangefinder Snobbery were thus unleashed upon me, decrying my slander of the sacred term.

Therefore, let me be perfectly clear, the X-Pro1 does NOT have a rangefinder mechanism. Any ranges that are found are purely coincidental. (Or, more accurately, the product of contrast detection autofocus technology). The Fuji X-Pro1 is, to borrow a phrase from Monthy Python, completely uncontaminated by rangefinders.

I confess to having known this before I wrote the article. I possess nine rangefinder-equipped cameras: two M6s, an M9, a Bessa R3A, a Mamiya 6, and Fuji GX690, a Burke and James folding 4x5 and a Razzle 4x5, together with one very understanding wife. These cameras, beloved to me all, each possess that nifty central patch in the viewfinder which moves in sync with a cam on the lens to triangulate the point of focus. The X-Pro1, for all its charms, does not have one of these. Curiously, no one ever got on my case for not calling the B&J 4x5 a rangefinder, but I digress.

At least one serious person, however, contacted me privately to talk about the use of the term "rangefinder" to describe this camera, concerned that its incorrect application could sow confusion. His perspective made me spend some time rethinking what appellation to apply to the X-Pro1. (That is, of course, the sort of solemn, creative undertaking a real photographer engages in when he doesn't actually have the damn camera yet but wants to feel like he's doing something vaguely related to photography).

That figuring led me to conclude that the rangefinder method of focusing was actually very low on the list of reasons people use "rangefinder" cameras as a class. The real reasons a whole school of photographers are attracted to these cameras as their tools of choice lie in the cameras' size, their way of seeing the world, their relative silence and their less aggresive posture of use when photographing people (that's a whole other article, but I find that people react differently when a rangefinder-style camera is pointed at them than in response to an SLR).

And there's the answer: the X-Pro1 is a "rangefinder style" camera. It looks, feels, sounds and shoots a lot like a rangefinder, and does so by design. Fuji very consciously designed this machine to echo the virtues of the rangefinder genre, albeit without the eponymous rangefinder. Rangefinder goodness was the design brief.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/04/04/the-fuji-x-pro-1-digital-camera-review-by-steve-huff/

My final words on the X-Pro 1 – Who is it for and will I buy one?

So far, to this point I have written 5,744 words in this review. Pretty short for a major review but I tried to not drag it out and repeat things that I already talked about in the Fuji X100 review. Many of the features of the X100 are in the X-Pro 1 and the image quality and overall usability is about the same. If you liked the X100 you will really like the X-Pro 1. It does allow you more creativity than the X100 due to the ability to change lenses and even shoot with M glass but at the same time do not expect huge speed increases with this “pro” model. In fact, just think about it as you are shooting an X100 with different lenses and better high ISO.

The X-Pro 1 for me is a mixed bag. I LOVE AND ADORE it for what it is and the images it can pump out, but the speed and usability kind of knocks it down just a bit for me. I WANT TO LOVE this camera and I just really LIKE IT, though I like it quite a bit because like I said, the Fuji files have a way of putting out incredible results and remember, EVERY image here was shot in JPEG mode as RAW support is not available at the time of this writing. The image quality will only get better.

So who would want an X-Pro 1?

Someone who wants to shoot JPEGS. The Out of camera JPEGS are very beautiful.
Someone who wants to shoot Black and White – B&W even at ISO 6400 is GREAT. Rich B&W files here.
Someone who doesn’t want to shoot FAST and doesn’t mind slow and steady photography.
Someone who wants to shoot landscape.
Someone who doesn’t want to spend several thousand more on a Leica M9 but wants a “Rangefinder Styled” camera.
Someone who owns an X100 and wants to have the ability to change lenses and have even improved high ISO.
Someone who enjoys shooting people/portraits or landscape
Someone who wants to shoot street using Zone Focusing

So who would NOT want an X-Pro 1?

If you own a Leica M9 and have been spoiled by the usability and file quality then you may not enjoy the slowness of the X-Pro 1
If you are used to speedy DSLR’s and expect lightning speed
If you don’t’ want to spend over $2k for a camera and lens
Those who shoot sports, action or wildlife
Video enthusiasts – other cameras in this class have better video capabilities

Basically the Fuji X-Pro 1 is a camera capable of putting out SUPERB IMAGE QUALITY. To many, this is all they need to hear. When you nail it you will be rewarded with beautiful color, depth and sharpness. The 35 1.4 lens is THE lens to get so if you do order the body, make sure you order this lens with it. JUST BE AWARE that in LOW LIGHT, as in indoors or outside even that the focus will hunt some and occasionally NOT lock on. I feel Fuji will be able to improve this with a Firmware update just as they did with the X100, which users are reporting is now MUCH faster and MUCH more accurate. In fact, I am confident Fuji will do this. You can also turn on the AF assist which helps lock focus quicker. Also, keeping the power save mode to OFF is said to increase AF speed, which I confirmed does indeed do so.

I have TWO X-Pro 1′s here that I pre-ordered and both have arrived. I have not yet decided if I should keep one or return them both before I even open them. The one I have been shooting with came from Fuji direct as a review sample. So I actually have THREE here! If it was not for the new OM-D coming in the next couple of weeks and the new Leica announcement on May 10th I would probably keep one for sure but as of today I am not 100% sure. I do love the EVF/OVF which is the same one used in the X100. These days, for me, an VF of some sort is a MUST.

I love the IQ I get from it, more so than most cameras I have shot with lately, well, really…any camera that has come out in the past year or so. It is HIGHLY capable in every area of IQ. Good light, low light, B&W and High ISO. It has an APS-C sized sensor so the IQ WILL be better than the OM-D but I have a feeling that the Olympus will kind of have it all. Speed, IQ, IS, Weather Sealing, Great video. I can not keep ALL cameras and I own the NEX-7 as well but the Fuji’s always tug at my heart a bit as they have a little bit of soul and magic. I just wish Fuji would get the quirkiness taken care of!

If you want great IQ, RF style and fast primes and have $2000-$3000 to spend, the X-Pro 1 may be the camera for you. With the 35 1.4 it is 1/4 the cost of a Leica M9 body with better high ISO capabilities. You be the judge. If you own an X-Pro 1 or have shot with one feel free to comment and let me know YOUR thoughts. One thing is for certain, this camera has image quality that will make you smile every time you view your images :smile:

UPDATE: I did shoot with the camera using “Power Save ON” and “Power ave OFF” and I did see an AF speed increase with this set to OFF. After shooting in my house at 6400 ISO with the Power Save off, I actually am more happy with the speed. Still doesn’t explain my freeze ups and other quirks but the more you use this camera the more you like it. Again, those damn beautiful Fuji files are sort of addicting :smile:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice pics, whats the f for the lens

wide open f2.4

It is small and light, but it can produce 5d2 quality type of photo.
It is quite expensive , about US $3650 with camera and 3 prime lens

In harrod, they even made a deluxe kits with limited edition case , filters and HARROD name. for US$9000
xpro1.jpg

Harrod london, well, i never seen a bargain there, it is for rich people.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am told by the harrod saleman, that they have 20 sets, and none were sold. I think rich people will buy M9 and not fujifilm x-pro 1, the name is not posh enough. Try to say leica M9 and then fujifilm x-pro 1. Rich people not going to buy it. Only people who like the vintage camera with dials and yet want digital and retro looks.

fujifilm-globe-trotter-harrods-x-pro1-briefcase-01-570x418.jpg

I can break down the price, US$3000 to fuji, US $500 for the filters, US $1500 for leather case and US$4000 for the harrods luggage label.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fujifilm_X-Pro1_OVF.jpg

This is the view when you look into OVF, which is a small window, like a viewfinder.

Depend on what lenses you put on it, there is this small white box which changes to tell you the framing of the shot.

Fujifilm_X-Pro1_OVF_27mm.jpg

18mm

Fujifilm_X-Pro1_OVF_53mm.jpg

35mm, viewfinder switch to higher magnification

Fujifilm_X-Pro1_OVF_91mm.jpg

60mm

can you image if you put a 135mm max from leica M lenses, how small is that framing, impossible right.

so you have to press on a switch in front of camera and change to EVF
Fujifilm_X-Pro1_EVF.jpg

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object width="364" height="235"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" /><param name="background" value="#333333" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50123670" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="364" height="235" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50123670" /></object>
x-pro 1 cnet review

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like the lenses, hate my Oly lenses.... zzzz

indeed the fuji lenses are great, the best is the fast 50, that 35mm f1.4, the bokeh is amazing for US$600. That is top notch for the price, the equivalent for leica is US$4000. That is a good deal.